Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 79
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 12:11:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't have the horsepower for VR, but I do have like 4 flight helmets now so I got that immersion going for me which is nice.

I really want VR because I feel like it's the only way to go with flight and racing sims, but DCS' current state makes it stupid to even try to get a hardware setup that will run it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 1:04:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Harlikwin:

This sounds wierd, what exactly is happening with these units?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:

The mainboard on mine reached the point where it won't be seen on my wife's computer but it still works on mine.  I've read that you can get the board for about $60, it just hasn't hit the top of my to-do list.

Don't know.  The thing works on my computer, but if I plug it into anything else it'll never show up as a joystick.  After some research it's a known issue.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 1:14:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#3]
Originally Posted By lancecriminal86:
I don't have the horsepower for VR, but I do have like 4 flight helmets now so I got that immersion going for me which is nice.

I really want VR because I feel like it's the only way to go with flight and racing sims, but DCS' current state makes it stupid to even try to get a hardware setup that will run it.
View Quote

I mean VR works in DCS period. You do need to optimize it and have reasonable expectations. FWIW my 9700k system at 5ghz and 2080ti (non-OC) with reasonable settings routinely gets me 45-70+ fps in most reasonable situations. Which includes online play on crowded, heavy unit servers. And really the main issue tends to be that I'm CPU bound not GPU.

So get the fastest single core CPU you can find/OC (10700k would be my suggestion since you only need 1-2 cores) Get a good air cooler or watercool it, and crank it up. Add a decent 3xxx series gfx card and you're good to go.

The Reverb/Reverb G2 is the most demanding headset currently out there at 2160x2160 for GFX. If you go with a lower res RiftS or Index you'll be even better off frame rate wise, it just won't look as good, or you can easily kill yourself by super sampling on those lower end headsets.

In terms of my upgrade path, I'm waiting on the intel 11x series as that finally should move to a smaller process, which hopefully means some serious speed gains. GFX wise, I was eyeing a 3090 since the 3080 is about equal to the 2080ti. But due to the absurd availability situation I'm probably gonna wait a bit longer to see if they pull a 3080ti out of their asses, though apparently the 3090 due to its huge VRAM does improve DCS some.

Link Posted: 12/15/2020 1:40:58 PM EDT
[#4]

View Quote

One of the theories I've seen is that the boards are particularly vulnerable to power fluctuations, surges, or interruptions from hot-plugging.  Mine was the only thing affected on a 7-port USB 3.0 hub after a power outage, so I kind of doubt it was a surge.  Some have had luck resurrecting them by reducing the effective voltage available to it over USB (using an unpowered hub and a bunch of other stuff plugged in to it).
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 1:53:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By GilenusX207:

One of the theories I've seen is that the boards are particularly vulnerable to power fluctuations, surges, or interruptions from hot-plugging.  Mine was the only thing affected on a 7-port USB 3.0 hub after a power outage, so I kind of doubt it was a surge.  Some have had luck resurrecting them by reducing the effective voltage available to it over USB (using an unpowered hub and a bunch of other stuff plugged in to it).
View Quote

Yeah that sounds weird... Glad mine is running rickety tick for now.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 1:57:55 PM EDT
[#6]

View All Quotes

Mine ran with zero problems for years.  I'd have never known it was misbehaving if I hadn't gotten my Virpil throttle and went to put the Warthog on my wife's machine.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 10:59:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: clayvt] [#7]
I had the Warthog slew upgrade and one day it just up and stopped working.  Contacted delta sim and he helped run me through some trouble shooting checking voltages.  one of the pinouts from the warthog was showing low on one pin so he figured it was something in the slew and sent me a replacement.  Same thing, not recognized.  i managed to have my brother send me his OEM slew since he didn't throw his away like i did.  It works just fine.  the weirdest thing.

ETA: is anyone else playing around with the C-130 mod?  
its been a blast.  I've been dropping troops and vehicles and taking over airfields left and right.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 11:46:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By clayvt:
I had the Warthog slew upgrade and one day it just up and stopped working.  Contacted delta sim and he helped run me through some trouble shooting checking voltages.  one of the pinouts from the warthog was showing low on one pin so he figured it was something in the slew and sent me a replacement.  Same thing, not recognized.  i managed to have my brother send me his OEM slew since he didn't throw his away like i did.  It works just fine.  the weirdest thing.

ETA: is anyone else playing around with the C-130 mod?  
its been a blast.  I've been dropping troops and vehicles and taking over airfields left and right.
View Quote

I have the controls mapped but haven't used it much.  I think the latest update added a droppable MOAB.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 2:01:23 PM EDT
[#9]
One more DCS player here.  Learning the F16, A10, P51.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 5:17:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By CAJva:
View Quote

Well, you picked a few good planes. Realize the viper is still very much a WIP...
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 7:09:10 PM EDT
[#11]

Well, you picked a few good planes. Realize the viper is still very much a WIP...
View All Quotes

That’s what I tell myself every time i get shot down or “land” short of the runway.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 12:11:11 AM EDT
[#12]

That’s what I tell myself every time i get shot down or “land” short of the runway.
View Quote

If you have trouble flying/landing the Viper... LOL...
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 12:49:02 AM EDT
[#13]

View All Quotes

Do you ever have anything positive to say?  JFC your shtick is getting old.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 12:00:59 AM EDT
[#14]

View Quote

When I first started I couldn't taxi for anything.  I spent several hours just trying to get a hot airframe to the ramp.  Now Aerial Refueling is easy day or night (navy style), and  I can nail CASE III landings with a pitching deck.  I've been part of several large organized PvP raids.  It just takes time, it's really a study sim like MS flight sim.  Practice and ask questions, if you want I'll hook you up with the group I fly with, we have instructors that can help.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 9:04:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By RichieRich3902:

When I first started I couldn't taxi for anything.  I spent several hours just trying to get a hot airframe to the ramp.  Now Aerial Refueling is easy day or night (navy style), and  I can nail CASE III landings with a pitching deck.  I've been part of several large organized PvP raids.  It just takes time, it's really a study sim like MS flight sim.  Practice and ask questions, if you want I'll hook you up with the group I fly with, we have instructors that can help.
View Quote

It is really easy to taxi way to fast in game.  That rarely ends well.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 12:09:33 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

Yup, usually thats a respawn moment

Depends on the airframe though. Some can taxi pretty fast.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 12:23:13 PM EDT
[#17]

View All Quotes

Thanks - just need to get enough stick time to learn all of the systems.  I only roll the damn thing on taxi every once in awhile...

I appreciated the A10s relatively complete assortment of training flights.  Even more so when the F16s selection was, oh, thinner.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 12:29:23 PM EDT
[#18]

View All Quotes

A-10 has some pretty wide legs.  F-16's not so much.  
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 12:30:04 PM EDT
[#19]

Thanks - just need to get enough stick time to learn all of the systems.  I only roll the damn thing on taxi every once in awhile...

I appreciated the A10s relatively complete assortment of training flights.  Even more so when the F16s selection was, oh, thinner.
View All Quotes

The A-10 has been out forever so it's going to be the most complete.  For the F-16 you gotta watch Wags' videos.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 1:58:24 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

Yeah the F16 is still very much a WIP, so best not to use it as training material. Hornet is more done, but still a ways to go. Hog is more or less done so its not the worst place to start, not my favorite module since its so limited and slow.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 1:58:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Also...

Rotorhead hype train....

Sekrit DCS module is the AH-64D...

Link Posted: 12/18/2020 2:00:12 PM EDT
[#22]

A-10 has some pretty wide legs.  F-16's not so much.  
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/66085/download_jpg-1736816.JPG
View Quote

Lol. yeah no, not the viper... BTDT a few times like that though.

Harrier is decently quick due to the outriggers, but you can still "bend" them.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 2:02:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Also...

Rotorhead hype train....

Sekrit DCS module is the AH-64D...

View Quote

With the Kiowa that's going to be a fun pair.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 2:03:38 PM EDT
[#24]
those clouds !!!!!

and the Longbow, of course !

DCS WORLD | 2021 AND BEYOND
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 2:04:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SmilingBandit] [#25]
Originally Posted By Shung:
those clouds !!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA49DDZ13LA
View Quote

I've spent plenty of my life at six seconds in on that video.  

Also I'll believe clouds when I see them.  They've been on the "next year" plan for five years now.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 2:23:05 PM EDT
[#26]

Also I'll believe clouds when I see them.  They've been on the "next year" plan for five years now.
View Quote

where is 6 seconds ? Guam ?
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 3:05:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SmilingBandit] [#27]

View All Quotes

Yup.  The scores of individual parking spots down the center taxiway is a dead giveaway.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 3:07:15 PM EDT
[#28]

With the Kiowa that's going to be a fun pair.
View Quote

Yeah, I wish it woulda been the A which would have been a really good working pair. I think the eye of sauron MMR is gonna be stupidly OP in DCS world and you won't need the kiowa if you have it. Unless ED all of a sudden has a change of course and actually starts modeling "limitations" instead of just "capabilities"
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 3:08:23 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

IDK, those did look like in game shots, so I'm hopefully optimistic we might get clouds soon. I just hope they don't tank perfromance, do block IR missiles and sensors, and are actually synched for multiplayer.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 3:33:08 PM EDT
[#30]

IDK, those did look like in game shots, so I'm hopefully optimistic we might get clouds soon. I just hope they don't tank perfromance, do block IR missiles and sensors, and are actually synched for multiplayer.
View Quote

multiplayer SYNC is MANDATORY
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 3:41:01 PM EDT
[#31]

View Quote

Like I said, I'm hopeful.

Looks like huey multicrew might be working "soon" too. So that should be cool finally.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 3:49:44 PM EDT
[#32]

Like I said, I'm hopeful.

Looks like huey multicrew might be working "soon" too. So that should be cool finally.
View Quote

It sure would be.  Especially with Polychop saying that they weren't going to try multiplayer for the Warrior until ED has the API working.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 3:57:31 PM EDT
[#33]
I like the latest updates to the F14 FM. Plane doesn't go berserk if I let my hands off the stick without an AP mode enabled.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 4:14:02 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

Yep - otherwise it'll be clear skies in every MP server.  Sync'd weather would be so rad.  I never understood why this was hard.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 4:56:43 PM EDT
[#35]
those clouds !!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA49DDZ13LA
View Quote

Saw F-15E's around :32 secs  in that vid
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 5:03:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By josepha1:

View Quote

F15E has been in the game forever as an AI...
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 5:03:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#37]
Well. Mostly good/interesting news, from KP

And double thank christ on point #6.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 5:11:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2alpha-down0] [#38]
Well. Mostly good/interesting news, from KP

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/287928410687406080/789595442198478878/unknown.png

And double thank christ on point #6.
View Quote

Good news on the cloud sync, and yes, centralizing weapons development is a good idea.  Once they leave the plane, they're "owned" by the core system anyway, IIRC.

I'm also glad to hear "no WWI" from them.  Good; the last thing ED needs is another era to develop for.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 5:22:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#39]

Good news on the cloud sync, and yes, centralizing weapons development is a good idea.  Once they leave the plane, they're "owned" by the core system anyway, IIRC.

I'm also glad to hear "no WWI" from them.  Good; the last thing ED needs is another era to develop for.
View Quote

Yeah, mostly good news, plus they seem to be getting a bit better on expectations managment as in what they realistically think they can do vs what they can actually do.

Some bummer points in there too about the F4 and Tornado. Though TBH it would be KILLER if HB did the F4... Jester is basically built to do it. F4's operated off Forestal carriers... IDK call me crazy.

Link Posted: 12/18/2020 6:40:11 PM EDT
[#40]

Yeah, mostly good news, plus they seem to be getting a bit better on expectations managment as in what they realistically think they can do vs what they can actually do.

Some bummer points in there too about the F4 and Tornado. Though TBH it would be KILLER if HB did the F4... Jester is basically built to do it. F4's operated off Forestal carriers... IDK call me crazy.
View All Quotes

While it means that ED will have work to do, I'm a little shocked that some parts like the weapons aren't centrally managed.  I'm really shocked that let it continue after the RN-24.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 6:57:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2alpha-down0] [#41]

While it means that ED will have work to do, I'm a little shocked that some parts like the weapons aren't centrally managed.  I'm really shocked that let it continue after the RN-24.
View All Quotes

When you think about it, it really is a lot of work.  Not only developing new weapons for 3rd parties to make money on (Meteor, AIM-9D and J for the F-8), but maintaining what those devs have already coded (HB and the Phoenix, SD-10, Viggen ASMs, etc).  No wonder they left it alone for so long.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 7:16:36 PM EDT
[#42]

View All Quotes

I'm not a smart man (forrest gump voice).
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 7:32:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#43]

I'm not a smart man (forrest gump voice).
View Quote

The larger joke being is that Razbam has been caught teasing F15E images using ED's old external model...

But they are using the FC3 mig29 to tease the upcoming mig29... So...
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 7:38:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#44]

When you think about it, it really is a lot of work.  Not only developing new weapons for 3rd parties to make money on (Meteor, AIM-9D and J for the F-8), but maintaining what those devs have already coded (HB and the Phoenix, SD-10, Viggen ASMs, etc).  No wonder they left it alone for so long.
View Quote

I absolutely don't disagree, but at the end of the day what most of the A/A weapons need is a context, and to be vaguely relative in that context (cuz sekrits). There is enough stuff out there for most of the "old" stuff to do it right, (which might make one side or the other cry). And in terms of the "new stuff" enough rough data to make those "balanced" I.e. put the performance of ALL weps in the overlap zones of "known" data.

I mean I really want to actually a "sidewinder" missile path in DCS

Yeah it was called that due to how it tracked in weird side-to-side pattern.

Frankly I think most of the weapons modeling in DCS is pretty poor, especially things like ground weapons i.e. CBU's or GP bomb blast damage, and it really hurts the core game, because then ED makes other shit waay too precise so you can get kills with those weapons. I mean CEP is known thing for alot of those systems and ED models it at like 1/10th of that or worse.

But it is a big job, though the main rework should be AI units/behavior with the "Slavbo" gunners and the ground AI being functionally retarded. I mean no tank commander is gonna set up in some field and wait for the inevitable helo/A10 to come along. Oh shit trees! 200m over there? Yeah, bro, lets setup there instead of the middle of this open field...

Link Posted: 12/18/2020 7:39:00 PM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

I'm shocked we don't have mushroom clouds years later
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 8:25:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2alpha-down0] [#46]

Frankly I think most of the weapons modeling in DCS is pretty poor, especially things like ground weapons i.e. CBU's or GP bomb blast damage, and it really hurts the core game, because then ED makes other shit waay too precise so you can get kills with those weapons. I mean CEP is known thing for alot of those systems and ED models it at like 1/10th of that or worse.

View Quote

An overhaul of ground vehicle damage modeling and splash damage would make me a very happy Cold War bomb truck driver.

Oh, and napalm... I think we're still supposed to get Mk77s for the Hornet so there is some hope.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 9:11:34 PM EDT
[#47]

An overhaul of ground vehicle damage modeling and splash damage would make me a very happy Cold War bomb truck driver.

Oh, and napalm... I think we're still supposed to get Mk77s for the Hornet so there is some hope.
View Quote

I mean at some point they have to do it, this "pickle barrel" BS will get worn out at some point.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 9:24:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: freerider04] [#48]
How's that new 57mm AAA thing?

Old school soviet AAA including the big stuff (85 and 100mm) have been on my wishlist for a while

ETA:maybe one day my dream of DCS:Thud will come true
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 9:32:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#49]
Originally Posted By freerider04:
How's that new 57mm AAA thing?

Old school soviet AAA including the big stuff (85 and 100mm) have been on my wishlist for a while

ETA:maybe one day my dream of DCS:Thud will come true
View Quote

it looks good, but I havent tested it yet. Surprisingly the ww2 40mm bofors works pretty good against most jets.

As to the Thud, there is one dev considering doing it (i.e. have the docs), you might not be that excited if I told you which one.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 9:35:24 PM EDT
[#50]

it looks good, but I havent tested it yet. Surprisingly the ww2 40mm bofors works pretty good against most jets.

As to the Thud, there is one dev considering doing it (i.e. have the docs), you might not be that excited if I told you which one.
View Quote

Does it rhyme with spazbam?
Page / 79
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top