Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 79
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 2:36:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Shung:
im so glad every other youtuber is playing with the supercarrier I bought 3 months ago and was supposed to get 5 weeks ago...  
View Quote
Yeah its fucking annoying. I was pissed when steam wasn't downloading then saw the Grim Reapers press release in parentheses at the end of the video title.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 3:23:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I guess the bright side is that they can do the initial bug testing for the rest of us.

They've already caught a bug where an F-14 on Cat 4 will get it's right wing clipped off by a Tomcat launching from Cat 3.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 5:09:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Shung:
im so glad every other youtuber is playing with the supercarrier I bought 3 months ago and was supposed to get 5 weeks ago...  
View Quote

Well, you too could go be  a youtuber...  
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 5:10:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#4]
Originally Posted By GilenusX207:
I guess the bright side is that they can do the initial bug testing for the rest of us.

They've already caught a bug where an F-14 on Cat 4 will get it's right wing clipped off by a Tomcat launching from Cat 3.
View Quote

Seems like that is the sort of really basic shit ED should catch early in development. I'm personally getting a bit underwhelmed with really shitty basic functionality being a thing in EA. I mean some features missing, fine, some bugs fine. But really basic shit either missing or broken, I'm increasingly naaah.

ED certainly ain't getting my cash for the P47, and probably not for the Hind unless they seriously up their game. I mean releasing the F16 with a 10% functional nav system on day 1 was pretty egregious I thought, and now shit like this that the SC was specifically supposed to fix (sizing/geometry) is broken on day1? Really ED?

Oh, as an added bonus, all the stuff they said we were supposed to get for the hornet a month ago (AG-radar, Tpod stuff, SLAM etc). Good chance it won't be in the Wednesday update. And probably slim pickings for the F16 (I hope they fix the 'ing D/L).

Meanwhile they are already pimping the P47...
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 5:55:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I go back to IL-2 cuz of ED's BS, and now they've banned the 3dmigoto VR mod for being a cheat.  Anybody interested in a TM Warthog and a HP Reverb?  
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 6:58:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#6]
Originally Posted By CropDusterC6:
I go back to IL-2 cuz of ED's BS, and now they've banned the 3dmigoto VR mod for being a cheat.  Anybody interested in a TM Warthog and a HP Reverb?  
View Quote

I stopped using VR mods, mostly because of IC issues, but WTF...

Say What? Seriously?

Say what again?
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 8:15:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Harlikwin:

Seems like that is the sort of really basic shit ED should catch early in development. I'm personally getting a bit underwhelmed with really shitty basic functionality being a thing in EA. I mean some features missing, fine, some bugs fine. But really basic shit either missing or broken, I'm increasingly naaah.

ED certainly ain't getting my cash for the P47, and probably not for the Hind unless they seriously up their game. I mean releasing the F16 with a 10% functional nav system on day 1 was pretty egregious I thought, and now shit like this that the SC was specifically supposed to fix (sizing/geometry) is broken on day1? Really ED?

Oh, as an added bonus, all the stuff they said we were supposed to get for the hornet a month ago (AG-radar, Tpod stuff, SLAM etc). Good chance it won't be in the Wednesday update. And probably slim pickings for the F16 (I hope they fix the 'ing D/L).

Meanwhile they are already pimping the P47...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I guess the bright side is that they can do the initial bug testing for the rest of us.

They've already caught a bug where an F-14 on Cat 4 will get it's right wing clipped off by a Tomcat launching from Cat 3.

Seems like that is the sort of really basic shit ED should catch early in development. I'm personally getting a bit underwhelmed with really shitty basic functionality being a thing in EA. I mean some features missing, fine, some bugs fine. But really basic shit either missing or broken, I'm increasingly naaah.

ED certainly ain't getting my cash for the P47, and probably not for the Hind unless they seriously up their game. I mean releasing the F16 with a 10% functional nav system on day 1 was pretty egregious I thought, and now shit like this that the SC was specifically supposed to fix (sizing/geometry) is broken on day1? Really ED?

Oh, as an added bonus, all the stuff they said we were supposed to get for the hornet a month ago (AG-radar, Tpod stuff, SLAM etc). Good chance it won't be in the Wednesday update. And probably slim pickings for the F16 (I hope they fix the 'ing D/L).

Meanwhile they are already pimping the P47...

Is there a chance that they really couldn’t use tomcats on both waist cats?
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 8:23:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:

Is there a chance that they really couldn’t use tomcats on both waist cats?
View Quote

BIGNEWEY said the dev team is already working on a fix for it, though I imagine users will find all sorts of AI shenanigans with S-3s and the like.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 2:57:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:

Is there a chance that they really couldn’t use tomcats on both waist cats?
View Quote

I very much doubt that. They may not have done it often though.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 2:59:44 PM EDT
[#10]

BIGNEWEY said the dev team is already working on a fix for it, though I imagine users will find all sorts of AI shenanigans with S-3s and the like.
View Quote

I really want to give ED some slack on this because of COVID, but stuff like that should have been caught months ago in the dev cycle. I mean, that's simple geometry. Stick 4 cats on 4 cats, and see if they all fit. Repeat for 4 hornets on 4 cats.

And apparently the F18 fixes/upgrades have been once again delayed to next month. (2-3 months in a row of delays).

Link Posted: 5/20/2020 9:47:07 AM EDT
[#11]

Well, you too could go be  a youtuber...  
View Quote

I would do a better job at flying than 95% of them though. Ain’t nobody got time for dat though
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 9:49:06 AM EDT
[#12]
So. Who’s betting that ED will disappoint us again today ?

It’s 5pm here and no supercarrier to be seen yet
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 11:27:38 AM EDT
[#13]
at least the patch note have been posted...
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 11:55:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 12:50:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#15]
Originally Posted By Keekleberrys:
I just hope they actually fixed the rubber banding and de sync. Tanking and any sort of formation flying has been impossible for months.
View Quote

Looks like a lot of netcode fixes in the notes. I cautiously optimistic.

Bummer though about the F18 and Viper stuff mostly being delayed till next patch again... But I get it, adding too much at once probably would have meant more things broken. I'm more disappointed in the lack of Viper updates. Was looking forward to mavs… But 2 more weeks I guess.

Link Posted: 5/20/2020 5:31:59 PM EDT
[#16]
As expected, about 20-25 FPS on the deck in VR.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 6:01:38 PM EDT
[#17]
As expected, about 20-25 FPS on the deck in VR. 
View Quote

Well Fawk…

I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but I was mainly gonna see how many AKG's it took to sink it... You know for morale purposes...
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 6:39:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2alpha-down0] [#18]

Well Fawk…

I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but I was mainly gonna see how many AKG's it took to sink it... You know for morale purposes...
View Quote

That’s in the stock F18 missions looking pretty much anywhere aft of the bow cats. An empty carrier with nothing on it is around 40 FPS.

PG has slightly better performance than Caucasus.

I haven’t tried their new MSAA mask because I only use Nvidias AA.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 9:03:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Not flying vr at the moment but my ultra wide 49” monitor and I guess great performances all maxed out
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 6:01:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: clayvt] [#20]
It seems to be running much better for me in VR.  Even the -16 free flight over Dubai is smooth as heck.  
The SC is smooth for me as well.  much needed improvement! I even jumped in the -16 on the growling sidewinder server and was seeing 35-40fps at Sochi.  Managed to bag me a Jeff to boot the brief time I was in there.  The DL in the -16 has def been fixed.

all in all I am getting better performance with this update.
for reference: HP Reverb, Ryzen 3700X in an X470 board, 32Gb 3200RAM, RTX 2070 Super
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 9:58:24 AM EDT
[#21]
I did one circuit on the carrier offline and it was smooth, the default launch mission. I think my FPS were in the 40's which is normal these days. So not terrible, there were other A/C on the deck.

Otherwise MP play seems fine, nothing major looks broken, and the Jeff got a new dive toss attack mode (another first in DCS I believe). So I gotta learn to use that.

For my next trick I will discover how many AK802's it takes to get to the center of SupaCarria pop... You know, to endear myself to the Virtual Navy guys.

Link Posted: 5/21/2020 1:20:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 7:54:54 PM EDT
[#23]

How much did you have to turn the gain down?
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 12:06:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Check it out... Meteors!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 12:31:03 PM EDT
[#25]

That will be fun to fly once it is released. I will probably buy it straight off unlike the Jf-17 which I still have not purchased.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 2:08:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By tarheel7734:

That will be fun to fly once it is released. I will probably buy it straight off unlike the Jf-17 which I still have not purchased.
View Quote

I'm stoked.   Thats a cool missile loft image

Does the Typhoon have an integrated helmet hud like the Viper?
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 5:15:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#27]

It will immediately be banned on online PVP servers. Which I'm more than ok with as even with 120's the EF will still be OP compared to everything else in game. But the uber bro's will love it. I also find it super dubious that they actually have enough good documentation on a missile that entered active service only a few years ago and is in frontline use. Plus what are you gonna fight with it? Mig21s?

Link Posted: 5/22/2020 11:15:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Harlikwin:

It will immediately be banned on online PVP servers. Which I'm more than ok with as even with 120's the EF will still be OP compared to everything else in game. But the uber bro's will love it. I also find it super dubious that they actually have enough good documentation on a missile that entered active service only a few years ago and is in frontline use. Plus what are you gonna fight with it? Mig21s?

View Quote

Not everything is about multi-player balance.

She would be a blast in single-player / coop scenarios against red bombers, for instance.  DCS can really shine in those sorts of simulations.

DCS is a sim before it's a multiplayer battle game.  I'll let the server hosts figure out how to solve the balance issues, because you are right about there being some for MP.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 10:24:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#29]
Originally Posted By IL2windhawk:

Not everything is about multi-player balance.

She would be a blast in single-player / coop scenarios against red bombers, for instance.  DCS can really shine in those sorts of simulations.

DCS is a sim before it's a multiplayer battle game.  I'll let the server hosts figure out how to solve the balance issues, because you are right about there being some for MP.
View Quote

Single player against what "red" bombers in the year 2017? Some rust bucket Tu-95s maybe? I mean the Russians have to have bake sale to fund a taped Garmin GPS for their 30-40 year old migs and sukhois at this point. I mean that's part of the problem with DCS, the assets are all higeldy pigeldy, even the AI ones. Even in SP, which I find either incredibly boring or incredibly frustrating with the UFO AI FM's. The problem with "modern" air combat is that aside from some hilariously unbalanced shootdowns in Iraq or the Balkans, its not a "thing". It doesn't exist. At least not in the way people imagine it does. At best DCS is modeling 70's and 80's air combat tactics with modern airframes and some magical fox3's thrown into the mix. And honestly I don't care if the meteor exists or not, but I guarantee it won't exist online in PVP.

For MP, like it or not you need some level of balance otherwise your MP server turns into PVE very quickly. And I totally agree its not necessarily realistic, but it is necessary. No one wants to play target drone, or not for long. I saw that played out when the Cat was first released, and to some extent its still a problem depending on the server. The Meteor is like a phoenix on steroids which is a bad thing for MP play. You generally have two types of MP servers, either ones with same plane set on each side, or a divided up plane set where each side gets planes ABC or XYZ. In the first case with the meteor pretty much everyone flies the typhoon to the exclusion of the other airframes and lobs meteors at each other, and no other plane can even get in range to use their BVR missiles, after a while this gets stale. In the other case its much faster, because only one side has the uber plane, and within days your PVP MP server devolves into a PVE server because no one is willing to play opfor target drone. So for MP use, the meteor will get banned very quickly IMO. And honestly that's fine, the typhoon carried aamrams for like a decade prior to that, and given its huge kinematic advantages it will still be a fine spear chucker with them, plus if things ever get into WVR it will eat any other fighter for breakfast. But I think over time the various server admins have figured out how to "balance" many of the issues with various "uber planes", either by banning loadouts, or restricting them, or doing stuff like making you fly clear across the map to be able to use them.  

The other point of it is that I'm increasingly dubious that ED can even deliver credible content in terms of missile modeling anymore. I'm 99% sure no one at TG has enough info to model the meteor beyond its a100nm range aamram. After seeing the shitshow with the SD-10 or even the phoenix. The SD10 is still missing "features" like 3rd party datalink guidance and its second stage boost motor. While the phoenix still one year later has its magic fox3 off the rail behavior.

Though the latest from Nick Gray is that ED is working on fixing the laughable Chaff, flare, RCS, and notch modeling that DCS has. So hope springs eternal that some day oh glorious day in maybe 2022 or sometime we will get something better, like ECM and towed decoys etc.

My personal preference for DCS would be to just take it back about 20 years, do the 70's/80's. You have plenty of docs, no "sekrits", there are still SME's from that era to talk to so you can "get things right". Plus the gameplay would be more fun  IMO since the plane sets were more competitive. You take your shortish range BVR shot with a fox 1 on the way into the merge and then fights on. Rather than the chuck spear, run, repeat which is what passes for "modern BVR" combat in DCS.

Link Posted: 5/23/2020 6:54:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shung] [#30]

if the FM and the avionics is good, ill buy it. no brainer. but only for SP.

in multi, the 70s/80s are my fav.

I want an F-4, an F-8, a Mig-27 and a MiG-23
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 7:47:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 9:20:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Keekleberrys:

Are any of those in the pipeline? F8 would be cool.
View Quote
ED is planning on doing the F4 and Crusader I believe. Raz is planning on the Mig 23 IIRC.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 11:17:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 11:29:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Alaskanforfreedom:
ED is planning on doing the F4 and Crusader I believe. Raz is planning on the Mig 23 IIRC.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Alaskanforfreedom:
Originally Posted By Keekleberrys:

Are any of those in the pipeline? F8 would be cool.

Leatherneck is doing the F-8J.  Pity they chose that one because the F-8E was the most common in Nam and the F-8K was what went longest in the USMC service.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 6:51:20 PM EDT
[#35]
I think they should do what they are doing,  if you dont want to play modern bvr then dont.  I like playing single player mostly.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 7:54:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By DirkericPitt:
I think they should do what they are doing,  if you dont want to play modern bvr then dont.  I like playing single player mostly.
View Quote

‘The issue is that with current missile modeling, bvr doesn’t look like real modern bvr should look like (yeah, I know I can’t know everything. But I was in the Air Force for a while, with access with some relevant info on the topic)

Link Posted: 5/24/2020 8:00:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shung] [#37]
Talking about old school jet combat, here is a nice tacview (I am FZG_immel) of a sortie we played with my squad mate tonight on the Cold War server

3 Airplanes (f-5 x2 and a Viggen) and a GCI against mig-21s (which finally has a stall modeled again lol) and mig-19s..

The scoreboard of the evening showed we downed 15 ennemi airplanes for the loss of a single airframe, from a guy we shot , and thought was done for, but still managed to launch 2 r-60s before crashing.

But still a 15-1 isn’t a bad night-

For those interested, it’s an interesting flight, we you can see how we practice the line abreast formation for mutual cover, and how we use the whole Catalogue of formation turns (tactical, cross, in place, hooks etc ) to maintain cohesion and never lose our situational awareness even without any dedicated tool. We learned doing this in the old il2 days, but despite much greater speed and smaller reaction times here, it is still valid.

Download it here. Must use tacview to see the file

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/a34f1fb0541df698ca73e65185bdb4f520200524234006/17ce01f4962fecba25ab0cb68c1d353b20200524234031/a8130d

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/a34f1fb0541df698ca73e65185bdb4f520200524234006/17ce01f4962fecba25ab0cb68c1d353b20200524234031/a8130d
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 10:59:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Talking about old school jet combat, here is a nice tacview (I am FZG_immel) of a sortie we played with my squad mate tonight on the Cold War server

3 Airplanes (f-5 x2 and a Viggen) and a GCI against mig-21s (which finally has a stall modeled again lol) and mig-19s..

The scoreboard of the evening showed we downed 15 ennemi airplanes for the loss of a single airframe, from a guy we shot , and thought was done for, but still managed to launch 2 r-60s before crashing.

But still a 15-1 isn’t a bad night-

For those interested, it’s an interesting flight, we you can see how we practice the line abreast formation for mutual cover, and how we use the whole Catalogue of formation turns (tactical, cross, in place, hooks etc ) to maintain cohesion and never lose our situational awareness even without any dedicated tool. We learned doing this in the old il2 days, but despite much greater speed and smaller reaction times here, it is still valid.

Download it here. Must use tacview to see the file

View Quote

We probably just missed each other, I just got off of that server.

We were playing Elbrus, and had knocked out the dam and Red's FARP, but because sling loading is bugged we couldn't lift a crate to take the mountain.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 11:12:43 PM EDT
[#39]

‘The issue is that with current missile modeling, bvr doesn’t look like real modern bvr should look like (yeah, I know I can’t know everything. But I was in the Air Force for a while, with access with some relevant info on the topic)ooo

View Quote

Your still not losing anything to let people fly what they want, even if it isn't 100% realistic.  Options are good.  Im in the airforce right now,  for whatever it matters.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 9:21:43 AM EDT
[#40]
My mention of being in the swiss Air Force wasn’t in any way a mean to brag or anything.

It’s just that as soon as you talk bvr, people start claiming you can’t know anything because missile performances are highly classified etc etc

But I’ve been into bvr briefings and debriefings before, so some things make sense. Others not.

That’s it
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 9:34:54 AM EDT
[#41]
OK, I have been living under a rock.  I'm an early adopter of the Oculus Rift, have a pretty standard gaming rig (1080Ti video card), and LOVE jets.

I set up Open Beta last night, and the DCS updater utility.  

I've been running a minecraft server.  Getting tired of it.

My "play/toy" server is a decent Dell with a fuckton of ram on a fast connection.

The Steam sale is waning.  

Using a Logitech 3D extreme joystick right now.  (I know, I know.  But, its been sitting here LNIB for about 4 years.  It'll work for awhile until I decide if I want to go further...)

QUESTIONS:

1: I want to buy a few jets/modules. What is everyone playing?  

2: Would it be helpful/fun for me to swap it over to a DEDICATED ARFCOM DCS server?  

Link Posted: 5/26/2020 11:44:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Shung] [#42]
Originally Posted By Mugzilla:
OK, I have been living under a rock.  I'm an early adopter of the Oculus Rift, have a pretty standard gaming rig (1080Ti video card), and LOVE jets.

My "play/toy" server is a decent Dell with a fuckton of ram on a fast connection.

Using a Logitech 3D extreme joystick right now.  (I know, I know.  But, its been sitting here LNIB for about 4 years.  It'll work for awhile until I decide if I want to go further...)

QUESTIONS:

2: Would it be helpful/fun for me to swap it over to a DEDICATED ARFCOM DCS server?  

View Quote

I own all modules and maps.

If I were you I’d buy the f-14 for sure

Second choice would be the Hornet, F-16 and F-5. The Jeff-17 is pr0bably a good one too. But I’m not a fan of the avionics

Playing the f-5 in a Cold War server is a blast

Of course, you probably need to get the Persian gulf map as well.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 11:47:34 AM EDT
[#43]

QUESTIONS:

2: Would it be helpful/fun for me to swap it over to a DEDICATED ARFCOM DCS server?  [/b][/size=4]

View Quote

Take this with a grain of salt from a relatively new (last December) player.  The Persian Gulf map is a must have.  The A-10C and F-18 modules are also must haves, for me.  The Huey is great fun, especially in VR, and I would buy it again in a heart beat.

I would consider these 4 as the bare minimum and see where your tastes develop from there.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 3:10:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Keekleberrys] [#44]
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 3:44:58 PM EDT
[#45]
As for a dedicated server IMHO there's not much value.

There are two basic types PVP which doesn't require much coding but needs a good number of people online to make it something worth playing, and PVE which needs a bunch of coding to make fun so people will play it.  The guys that have good PVE servers do so despite the abilities of the mission builder environment rather than because of it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 12:55:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Alaskanforfreedom] [#46]

QUESTIONS:

View Quote
Persian Gulf map, F18, F14, F16 for sure. Jf17 feels (and looks) a little cartoony to fly, still a decent plane though.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 2:34:57 AM EDT
[#47]
Welp, I got a little intoxicated and bought a hp reverb pro. Looks like I’m getting into VR.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 11:56:45 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By StealthGuy:
Welp, I got a little intoxicated and bought a hp reverb pro. Looks like I’m getting into VR.
View Quote

If that's the worst thing you've done while drunk then you did good, lol.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 3:40:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Seth_Livzz:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Seth_Livzz:
Originally Posted By StealthGuy:

Definitely not. This is just my most recent. I’m not mad though because I’ve also been eyeing a Aimpoint T-2 from LaRue and this was cheaper.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 6:14:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Z09SS:

Leatherneck is doing the F-8J.  Pity they chose that one because the F-8E was the most common in Nam and the F-8K was what went longest in the USMC service.
View Quote

Part of it is documentation. Also, IIRC the F-8J was closer to the French version that they operated too. So 2 ish birds one stone.
Page / 79
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top