BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 79
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 1:40:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Harlikwin:

Well DirkericPitt, I was just playing DCS, and the server I was on ate shit twice while I was playing, once while I was landing, and once in the middle of the dogfight. Both resulted in my rather untimely death. So, did I have fun? Yes! I did until that happened, then it sucked dick! And it wasn't really all that random of an occurrence, it happens a lot more these days because ED fucked the netcode, yet again, and its been like this for ~4 months. And no, I can't go back to stable, which also hasn't been updated in 4 months, because none of the MP servers that are worth a damn run it. And no its not my system, or the server hardware its the dogshit "quality" code that ED insists on foisting on us, month after month, excuse after lame excuse.

Actually the whole supacarria episode is at least a blessing as far as I can determine because it seems like they tried to fix the 5+ year long problem of desynch on the carriers, which of course results in hilarious MP bloodbaths when more than a few people spawn on the existing supacarria(s) and then one of them with a not perfect ping time proceeds to rubber band into every one else killing them all in glorius HD detail. Its quite glorious and amusing watching it all, hoggit guys LOVE IT. And from the sound of the posts from ED, it seems like this basic issue, that I can't even call 0 day, maybe like they knew this would have to been fixed from day 0 when they announced it? But, it still hasn't been fixed while ED has tripled the spawn points. Oh wait, they only realized it when testing this 3 days before release... And apparently the netcode for that version pretty much destroys MP, regardless if the supacarria is installed or not. Which is why they shitcanned the whole deal for the time being. Because even as stupid as ED is, they realized the fucking 30%+ of their most dedicated fan base maybe wasn't in their best interest. Now the question I can't actually answer is "Why the fuck, did ED not see fixing the netcode as the literal top priority for this module 2 years ago when they fucking started?" and really I have no answers, only more questions on that score.

On the plus side most major MP server have just given up on having carriers at all. Which is a bit of a bummer due to the "naval aviation" focus that DCS and 3rd parties decided to pursue. Never mind that the HB Forrestal carrier has most likely been derailed because ED told them no, it would make us look bad if you released a working carrier and we can't.

Maybe they are geniuses though, and to distract from the whole supacarria fiasco, which was preceded by the 2.5.6. fiasco, and prior to that by the Viper release fiasco, they now have decided to announce that in contradiction to their January announcement that the F18/16 would be done and out of EA by years end, that whoops just kidding, what we really mean was that we will declare victory and just say that they are done and out of EA with 50% of their systems and functionality missing for the F18. And the F16, well fuck that, its on the back burner.

So glad YOU had fun my man... Lots of folks aren't, and even more are increasing tired of the ED bullshit dance for multiple products that they paid for YEARS ago.

View Quote

“Do not worry, comrade, half of team working on core updates.  We changing Nixie tubes out of netcode, two more weeks. All is subject to change.”

They’re badly overextended.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 3:52:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 9:12:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Well,  if alot if people arent having fun,  why are they playing?  Its a game,  a product, no one is making anyone play.

The real problem is that nobody has developed a game with all the capabilities of dcs.  Because its hard,  expensive, and very time consuming.  When someone can do better than dcs,  they will.  Until then,  play what exists,  or dont.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 10:48:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#4]
Originally Posted By Keekleberrys:
i think its my depth perception thats throwing me off. im having difficulty judging the lateral distance.
View Quote

You using VR?

Its been a while since I tanked in the cat, but in general moving the wings to bomb mode so they don't autosweep helps a ton, and then yes you gotta trim it right but after that not any harder than the F18, aside from Jesters commentary. Are you using a point on the plane as a horizontal reference (i.e. line up a bit of the pit with an engine pod etc)

And yeah out of all the jets I think the harrier is the worst, though it was the first plane I learned, and that was before they "fixed" the refueling probe.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 10:58:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By GilenusX207:

“Do not worry, comrade, half of team working on core updates.  We changing Nixie tubes out of netcode, two more weeks. All is subject to change.”

They’re badly overextended.
View Quote

They really are, and I really gotta wonder where their priorities are at this point. I mean killing the game over a slightly better lighting model? Who thought that was a good idea? And I recall a thread in the SC subforum from the day opened it about the rubber banding on the deck and how that was the critical element to get right, which they acknowledged but apparently ignored or underestimated the difficulty of.

I for one am glad that they are re-focusing on the hornet since its farther along than the viper, even though I like the viper far more, but some of the stuff that they have prioritized is really a WTF. I mean gun sparks are at the same level as functioning ACLS or INS or radar code?
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 11:13:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#6]
Originally Posted By DirkericPitt:
Well,  if alot if people arent having fun,  why are they playing?  Its a game,  a product, no one is making anyone play.

The real problem is that nobody has developed a game with all the capabilities of dcs.  Because its hard,  expensive, and very time consuming.  When someone can do better than dcs,  they will.  Until then,  play what exists,  or dont.
View Quote

My main point of concern is that currently DCS is going backwards in terms of that gameplay. Frame rates are shot to hell since 2.5.6, MP code got all fubared, AND they totally hosed the content creators by changing a bunch of stuff with how external tools like MOOSE, SRS, and others hook into the game and once again broke a bunch of missions and campaigns. Honestly I was fairly content with the ED portion of DCS like 6 months ago, MP worked, VR frames were "ok" but not great. And really at this point, I worry the next big "fix" or "upgrade" is gonna further tank VR which is currently barely playable for me, and unplayable for others or the netcode. The slow progress on existing modules while still releasing new ones is annoying but for me mostly tolerable since I just fly whatever is more complete for me. Which at this point is largely the Jeff and Tomcat, once in a while I pop in to see whats new on the Hornet and Viper, and then go back to planes that are more done.

On your second point. I agree that they are aiming high, but they are also stumbling and falling on their faces alot. The uncomfortable reality for ED is that in terms of a single player experience Falcon BMS has been the better and more realistic game for nearly 2 decades now which is why they ban any mention of it on their forums. BMS still has a far better single player dynamic campaign, which can also be used in MP. The overall environment is way better, the planes it has are better modeled IMO, especially the vipers. And the dynamic weather and clouds look great. Plane AI and IADS are done better etc. Smart scaling makes dogfights much more "realistic" since you can actually spot planes and judge plane aspect like you would in real life. And all of this on a "leaked" code base from the 90's that has been "upgraded" by a team of volunteers working for free. It really baffles me that ED doesn't just "borrow" some of the code and ideas from falcon, the code base is out there.

Unfortunately 3 things BMS lacks however really sorta kill it for a lot of people. Dated graphics, especially the ground. No VR (this is what finally killed it for me, and I spent days trying to "hack" VR to work in it) and their front end UI is terrible for setting peripherals, plus a non-easy install. That and the plane set is fairly limited outside of vipers at this point. It still does have a decently dedicated hardcore fan base though so I'm hopeful that they upgrade their GFX engine to include VR support and improve the terrain and UI.

Link Posted: 4/25/2020 4:38:55 PM EDT
[#7]

View Quote

I'm still having fun and really love the game.  Of course I don't get too bent out of shape if things get broken for a day or two, I juse play some IL2 or something.  I can see if it was my primary time sink or was part of a regularly scheduled group.  But that doesn't apply to me, so I'm probably more forgiving.  I think that's how most people view it outside of a very vocal minority.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 6:20:41 PM EDT
[#8]

My main point of concern is that currently DCS is going backwards in terms of that gameplay. Frame rates are shot to hell since 2.5.6, MP code got all fubared, AND they totally hosed the content creators by changing a bunch of stuff with how external tools like MOOSE, SRS, and others hook into the game and once again broke a bunch of missions and campaigns. Honestly I was fairly content with the ED portion of DCS like 6 months ago, MP worked, VR frames were "ok" but not great. And really at this point, I worry the next big "fix" or "upgrade" is gonna further tank VR which is currently barely playable for me, and unplayable for others or the netcode. The slow progress on existing modules while still releasing new ones is annoying but for me mostly tolerable since I just fly whatever is more complete for me. Which at this point is largely the Jeff and Tomcat, once in a while I pop in to see whats new on the Hornet and Viper, and then go back to planes that are more done.

On your second point. I agree that they are aiming high, but they are also stumbling and falling on their faces alot. The uncomfortable reality for ED is that in terms of a single player experience Falcon BMS has been the better and more realistic game for nearly 2 decades now which is why they ban any mention of it on their forums. BMS still has a far better single player dynamic campaign, which can also be used in MP. The overall environment is way better, the planes it has are better modeled IMO, especially the vipers. And the dynamic weather and clouds look great. Plane AI and IADS are done better etc. Smart scaling makes dogfights much more "realistic" since you can actually spot planes and judge plane aspect like you would in real life. And all of this on a "leaked" code base from the 90's that has been "upgraded" by a team of volunteers working for free. It really baffles me that ED doesn't just "borrow" some of the code and ideas from falcon, the code base is out there.

Unfortunately 3 things BMS lacks however really sorta kill it for a lot of people. Dated graphics, especially the ground. No VR (this is what finally killed it for me, and I spent days trying to "hack" VR to work in it) and their front end UI is terrible for setting peripherals, plus a non-easy install. That and the plane set is fairly limited outside of vipers at this point. It still does have a decently dedicated hardcore fan base though so I'm hopeful that they upgrade their GFX engine to include VR support and improve the terrain and UI.

View Quote

I mean if things were better,  go back to an install 6 mos ago,  or (i know i know) play stable.  Obviously hard since alot of the servers are on beta,  but thats not EDs fault,  maybe they should make a closed alpha,  but then beta would just turn into stable waiting forever for them to fix things.  also not thier fault that 3rd party unsupported things break.  I mean it would be impossible to change anything if they made sure every mod and add on worked on beta.

Right,  bms is great, except all the things dcs does better.  I mean if you had a few million dollars and a hundred programers you could probably get bms to where dcs is.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 10:47:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#9]

I mean if things were better,  go back to an install 6 mos ago,  or (i know i know) play stable.  Obviously hard since alot of the servers are on beta,  but thats not EDs fault,  maybe they should make a closed alpha,  but then beta would just turn into stable waiting forever for them to fix things.  also not thier fault that 3rd party unsupported things break.  I mean it would be impossible to change anything if they made sure every mod and add on worked on beta.

Right,  bms is great, except all the things dcs does better.  I mean if you had a few million dollars and a hundred programers you could probably get bms to where dcs is.
View Quote

Dude, be real, no one in MP world uses beta, certainly not any competitive server where I play. And stable hasn't been updated since December at this point. Like I said, ED has porked it lately. I don' think the JF17 was even available on stable for like 2 months, same for the viper. And really, its not really "Stable" it still has shitloads of bugs, just not the new shiny bugs/fixes.

As for boning the MP content producers, those are guys that have taken hundreds if not thousands of man hours to make MP in DCS usable, for free. You like GAW, Blueflag or any of the other major servers, they wouldn't exist without those guys. And really its maybe like a dozen well known dudes, so ED could send them some heads up that they totally changed the file structure, and not wait for the release day where they are left scrambling to figure why the fuck all of sudden nothing works. Or maybe include them in the alpha. Several guys were basically gonna say fuckit after the 2.5.6 fiasco. And I know maybe only 30% of DCS guys play MP, but its still a sizable chunk. It just reeks of poor community engagement at a high level and people are increasingly fed up with it. I can't count the number of guys that went from: "I'll buy anything ED makes to support them" to "fuck ED, no more EA" after this latest hornet thing. I'm not sure how much I'm in that boat, but I'm really underwhelmed with ED lately. I might go for the Mi24 if they actually get it out this year, or I might not if they continue down their current path.

As for BMS, the only things DCS does better are 1. GRAFIX/VR 2. It has a few different planes. That's it, full stop. And even for some graphical items like clouds BMS does it better. More to the point BMS is a few guys with 0 budget that are still competitive with DCS 2 decades later... Which is really sort of sad if you consider the millions ED has put into it.

Link Posted: 4/25/2020 10:58:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#10]
Originally Posted By Sixpack595:

I'm still having fun and really love the game.  Of course I don't get too bent out of shape if things get broken for a day or two, I juse play some IL2 or something.  I can see if it was my primary time sink or was part of a regularly scheduled group.  But that doesn't apply to me, so I'm probably more forgiving.  I think that's how most people view it outside of a very vocal minority.
View Quote

I love the game which is why I am vocal about it, and ED IMO has really just shafted a good chunk of the community lately. The problem is that is not been broken for a day or two, at best its 2 weeks since that's the new normal for updates. And its been half broken for months since they released 2.5.6. It used to be, that yup it broke a single plane or two, for a week or two at worst, not anymore, the updates have become less frequent and worse in terms of new bugs. And instead of getting better with each "major" .x update its getting worse, that's the issue. When they introduced VR years back, it ran at 90fps pretty solidly. Then deffered shading came out, and boom, most guys were lucky to get 45 (Which looks like shit in VR because that's the frame rates where motion smoothing kicks in and you get ghosting and artifacts). Then it kinda cobbled along, till 2.5.6 where it dropped yet again and the low end guys can't even run it in VR, and even us high end guys had to turn things down yet again to get playable frame rates (on a 2080ti FYI). And its not like desynch or the carrier issues haven't been known for literally years. IDK maybe they just don't have the talent to fix the netcode, but plenty of online twitch shooters have figured out how to. And its honestly a simpler problem for ED, since most of the twitch games have to deal with much finer time incrementation and motion tracking. ED can't figure out how to put 3 planes in a row on a carrier online without them rubber banding into each other killing everyone. At this point I really doubt that the SC will ever be a thing for online players unfortunately. I mean having half a dozen guys taxing around is probably too hard of a problem for ED to solve.

I mean I play IL2 and its great in VR. Its just that WW2 fighters aren't really my thing, and overall the level of detail isn't really there for IL2, they are kinda sim-lite IMO. But they definitely have VR and the graphical portion of the game figured out better than ED IMO. BMS OTHOH has the hardcore jet sim down pretty well, but graphics are somewhat dated and no VR support, supposedly its coming, but who knows when.

Link Posted: 4/25/2020 11:38:42 PM EDT
[#11]
On a lighter note, I found my new preferred way of killing enemy armor...

Get their SAMs to fire at you, then dive for the deck, guiding the missile into the vehicle.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 11:45:57 PM EDT
[#12]

I love the game which is why I am vocal about it, and ED IMO has really just shafted a good chunk of the community lately. The problem is that is not been broken for a day or two, at best its 2 weeks since that's the new normal for updates. And its been half broken for months since they released 2.5.6. It used to be, that yup it broke a single plane or two, for a week or two at worst, not anymore, the updates have become less frequent and worse in terms of new bugs. And instead of getting better with each "major" .x update its getting worse, that's the issue. When they introduced VR years back, it ran at 90fps pretty solidly. Then deffered shading came out, and boom, most guys were lucky to get 45 (Which looks like shit in VR because that's the frame rates where motion smoothing kicks in and you get ghosting and artifacts). Then it kinda cobbled along, till 2.5.6 where it dropped yet again and the low end guys can't even run it in VR, and even us high end guys had to turn things down yet again to get playable frame rates (on a 2080ti FYI). And its not like desynch or the carrier issues haven't been known for literally years. IDK maybe they just don't have the talent to fix the netcode, but plenty of online twitch shooters have figured out how to. And its honestly a simpler problem for ED, since most of the twitch games have to deal with much finer time incrementation and motion tracking. ED can't figure out how to put 3 planes in a row on a carrier online without them rubber banding into each other killing everyone. At this point I really doubt that the SC will ever be a thing for online players unfortunately. I mean having half a dozen guys taxing around is probably too hard of a problem for ED to solve.

I mean I play IL2 and its great in VR. Its just that WW2 fighters aren't really my thing, and overall the level of detail isn't really there for IL2, they are kinda sim-lite IMO. But they definitely have VR and the graphical portion of the game figured out better than ED IMO. BMS OTHOH has the hardcore jet sim down pretty well, but graphics are somewhat dated and no VR support, supposedly its coming, but who knows when.

View Quote

Sounds like you should start a software company.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 5:59:21 AM EDT
[#13]
We made a sortie on the blue flag 80s last night and the netcode made it unplayable. Warps, freezes. Got me killed.

On the other end, we then went on the Cold War 70s with Tigers II’s and after flying for 30min looking for bandits, we found 2 mig21s. We shot them both down, and Rtb’ed

I highly suggest this server for the time being. Back to the basics. Eyeball mk1 and and man’s plane !
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 9:28:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#14]
Originally Posted By Shung:
We made a sortie on the blue flag 80s last night and the netcode made it unplayable. Warps, freezes. Got me killed.

On the other end, we then went on the Cold War 70s with Tigers II’s and after flying for 30min looking for bandits, we found 2 mig21s. We shot them both down, and Rtb’ed

I highly suggest this server for the time being. Back to the basics. Eyeball mk1 and and man’s plane !
View Quote

I love the BF cold war server but there are almost never any people on when I can play. Had a ton of fun on it re learning the viggen and su25a for some awesome AG action.

They need some awacs and some sort of sams on it though. The one time there were enemy AC on we had to use Chat to arange a dogfight. And some old school sa2's would make ground attack more interesting.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 9:28:50 AM EDT
[#15]

Get their SAMs to fire at you, then dive for the deck, guiding the missile into the vehicle.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/114418/sa2kill_PNG-1386904.JPG
View Quote

LOFL. Nice.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 11:51:31 AM EDT
[#16]
I still hate the Eagle in the A2A guns server. I know it’s a beast but it flies like it’s AI.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 12:54:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By RichieRich3902:
I still hate the Eagle in the A2A guns server. I know it’s a beast but it flies like it’s AI.
View Quote

At some point I'd like to see a Full-fi C-eagle in the game, but I'm just really burned out on blue 4th gen stuff. Either give us some red 4th gen, or blue 3rd gen to even out the plane sets I say.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 1:29:38 PM EDT
[#18]

At some point I'd like to see a Full-fi C-eagle in the game, but I'm just really burned out on blue 4th gen stuff. Either give us some red 4th gen, or blue 3rd gen to even out the plane sets I say.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

What other 4th Gen Red Air could they make?  MiG-29 and SU-27/33 are already in the game.  There isn't much else out there, everything else Red is 3rd gen
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 1:37:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By cone256:

What other 4th Gen Red Air could they make?  MiG-29 and SU-27/33 are already in the game.  There isn't much else out there, everything else Red is 3rd gen
View All Quotes

That and ED has said many times the Ruskies won’t license anything more than what we already have.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 7:55:50 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

Like a full clicky mig29 or su27. Preferably more modern than what we have. Given the marianas map i wonder if the "mind blowing" module might either be a mig29k or j15 or su33 prototype.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 7:58:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#21]

That and ED has said many times the Ruskies won’t license anything more than what we already have.
View Quote

Well going back on that statement would indeed be "Mind blowing".

Personally I think Chiz took a shit in the wrong coffee cup at some point which is why "its complicated", because they certainly have ins at Mil and Kamov. That and ED thinks it wont sell as well as blue.

Link Posted: 4/27/2020 12:43:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Keekleberrys] [#22]
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 2:32:44 AM EDT
[#23]

View Quote
Once you move away from FC3 planes you never want to go back. We need full fidelity red gen 4 planes. Su30/35 would be nice. I won't hold my breath.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 10:31:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#24]
Originally Posted By Keekleberrys:
havent done any a2g in the hornet in a while, asiding from lasing the targeting pod is pretty nice for use with auto bombing with regular bombs or picking out targets that are hard to see on your second go around and you want to strafe them but have lost track of their location.
View Quote

Yeah, the Tpod was a game changer for the hornet when introduced. Bombing anything in it prior to the Tpod was terrible, especially since the JTAC interface sucked, and still sucks. And the fact that the radar ranging doesn't work to this day. I have mild PTSD from having to locate targets, and punch in 8 sets of coordinates in plan mode for JDAM's when flying on GAW prior to the TPOD (and no not realistic, it would be loaded into the jet with a DTC).

I'm still not 100% sure how accurately its modeled though. Being able to track and designate stuff from stupidly long slant ranges seems "arcade" to me. The JF17 pod is much more limited and seems more reasonable, seems like Deka tried to model things like tracking, issues with jitter, and other pod issues better at least thus far. I'm not sure ED is going to do much better though in the near future. I haven't used the Cat for bombing much at all, but the very limited use I have with Lantrin, at least HB tried to make it a bit harder to use.

Link Posted: 4/27/2020 10:38:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#25]
Originally Posted By Alaskanforfreedom:
Once you move away from FC3 planes you never want to go back. We need full fidelity red gen 4 planes. Su30/35 would be nice. I won't hold my breath.
View Quote

This...

At the end of the day I like the 3 button planes for their oversimplicity and the fact if you can fly one, you can more or less fly them all since all the controls are the same. But I would kill for a good multirole sorta late model mig or sukhoi.

Given that the new marianas map is largely going to be a carrier map, and the fact they re-did the kuzenestov has me hopeful that they might do a naval Mig or Sukhoi.

The 29k would be great, as its multirole but also quite "new", then again its been exported to India. The Su-33 is more limited, but I bet there are some proposed "upgrades" to get it to a Su30SM ish standard ala the new fictional Ka50 they might do to make it actually multirole. Ideally for that map a J-15A/Liaoning combo would be awesome and technically its not "Russian" but Deka can't do it as its a frontline jet, but maybe ED could, and the Russians really hate that the Chinese ripped off the J-15 from the SU-33 prototypes in Ukraine.

Link Posted: 4/27/2020 11:07:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Fairly certain the hornet TPod is arcade mode. Like you said it can track a long way out and the gimble stays locked even with hard maneuvering.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 11:16:05 AM EDT
[#27]

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/114418/sa2kill_PNG-1386904.JPG
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 11:28:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Fairly certain the hornet TPod is arcade mode. Like you said it can track a long way out and the gimble stays locked even with hard maneuvering.
View Quote

Unfortunately every litening in the game (harrier, viper, A10) more or less has the same behavior. I think at least the A10 version has gimbal issues.

The Jeff pod is mostly useless beyond 20nm, even for finding targets.

And Like I said, I haven't used the lantrin enough or recently enough to have an opinon, I recall at least it was "blurrier" than the litening when I tried it like a year ago, which it should be due its much lower overall sensor resolution.

I think actually modeling a pod accurately in DCS is a pretty hard task. You basically have to model, sensor resolution and realistic detection ranges (Johnson criteria), issues with the optical system and atmosphere, vibration issues/jitter, tracking issues/drift, gimbal limit issues etc.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 5:58:45 PM EDT
[#29]

Well going back on that statement would indeed be "Mind blowing".

Personally I think Chiz took a shit in the wrong coffee cup at some point which is why "its complicated", because they certainly have ins at Mil and Kamov. That and ED thinks it wont sell as well as blue.

View Quote

The sales argument baffles me.

We have F-86 and MiG-15.  Never a word about poor sales of the MiG.

We have F-5, Viggen, Mig-19, and MiG-21.  Never seen anything from Raz or Mag3 about poor sales.

As long as they make a variant contemporary with the modern bluefor aircraft, that argument holds no water.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 11:47:20 AM EDT
[#30]

We have F-5, Viggen, Mig-19, and MiG-21.  Never seen anything from Raz or Mag3 about poor sales.

As long as they make a variant contemporary with the modern bluefor aircraft, that argument holds no water.
View Quote
I agree if ED does any bit of the slightest market research into their targeted consumers they would see everyone wants a full fidelity Russkie Gen4.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 12:31:56 PM EDT
[#31]

View Quote

I totally agree. But they gotta have the numbers on the F-86 v Mig15... But overall I think those are totally "minority" planes anyway. F5 V mig21 might be a better comparison though, both old modules with a lot of buyers. I honestly don't think the Mig19 sold all that well given its release fiasco, and subsequent near abandonment by Razbam.

Link Posted: 4/28/2020 12:32:35 PM EDT
[#32]
I agree if ED does any bit of the slightest market research into their targeted consumers they would see everyone wants a full fidelity Russkie Gen4.
View Quote

I think they know. And I think the "mind bending" module will be just that.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 12:42:00 PM EDT
[#33]
View Quote

They have said time after time after time they can not do a modern Russian aircraft due to the Russian government and licenses and restrictions. They did say a 3rd party could do it if they wanted but ED themselves can not do this.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 2:04:54 PM EDT
[#34]
DCS definitely needs some full fidelity modern MIGs and Sukhois. I not even really interested in red air planes and I’d buy them as long as they’re quality.

Then they can work on my more modern DCS level F-15C with JHMCS, 9X, and Link-16. And a early block 2 F model Rhino.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 2:08:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#35]
Originally Posted By tarheel7734:

They have said time after time after time they can not do a modern Russian aircraft due to the Russian government and licenses and restrictions. They did say a 3rd party could do it if they wanted but ED themselves can not do this.
View Quote

They didn't say they couldn't. They said it was "complicated"...

At the end of the day, the whole sekrit plane thing is bullshit. Literally every nation on earth has been inside an older mig29, its literally the pass-around girl of the Aerospace world. There is literally nothing secret about it. So the Russian gov pretty much doesn't give a shit. I'll buy the whole "licensing" thing for a dollar though, and hence my feeling that ED basically doesn't have an "in" at those companies that would make it favorable (or didn't until recently). However they have those "in's" in the Russian Helo industry. I mean the KA50 is more modern than an older mig29, and we are getting a modernized version of it, the mi-24E we are getting is also roughly from that era. Frankly I hope for a bit more modern "prototype/export" version of a mig. Because of the KA50 precedent, no one really operates them so the government doesn't care. And the Russians made a ton of Mig/SU "demonstrators" in the 90's and early 2000's. Again, a lot of those planes nowhere, and no one uses them, so no-problem komrade. At a basic level, the aeroquake crowd will want something that chuck fox3's and has some sort of datalink. Further on the wishlist would be some sort of PGM capabilities.

I do think that the whole 3rd party thing was directed at Razbam who is doing the mig23. Lets hope they somehow don't rabildy fuck up the Datalink/GCI component that would actually make it competitive though.

Link Posted: 4/28/2020 2:09:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By StealthGuy:
DCS definitely needs some full fidelity modern MIGs and Sukhois. I not even really interested in red air planes and I’d buy them as long as they’re quality.

Then they can work on my more modern DCS level F-15C with JHMCS, 9X, and Link-16. And a early block 2 F model Rhino.
View Quote

I mean you're more or less gonna get some of that that with the Typhoon.

I'm way more excited about the A7E/D myself.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 2:29:09 PM EDT
[#37]

I mean you're more or less gonna get some of that that with the Typhoon.

I'm way more excited about the A7E/D myself.
View Quote

Man I’ve never been a fan of the Typhoon, looks wise. The Rafale on the other hand.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 3:36:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By StealthGuy:

Man I’ve never been a fan of the Typhoon, looks wise. The Rafale on the other hand.
View Quote

But its gonna be the premier spamraam slinger in DCS
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 11:18:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aeroworksxp] [#39]
Really liking the fact I can read the huds and display information on these UFO videos better after learning DCS. And apparently 1688 is legit the default laser codes.

Attachment Attached File

When a litening pod point tracks a target, does it use radar for ranging? Or is it completely passive?
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 10:44:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#40]
Originally Posted By aeroworksxp:
Really liking the fact I can read the huds and display information on these UFO videos better after learning DCS. And apparently 1688 is legit the default laser codes. 

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/327887/Annotation_2020-04-28_231654_jpg-1391765.JPG

When a litening pod point tracks a target, does it use radar for ranging? Or is it completely passive?
View Quote

At best it might use angle rate ranging for A/A. Something the Whazzbam coder can't quite wrap his head around, cuz mafs is too hawd….

Laser might work but there would be serious precision and jitter issues until you got fairly close. The Russians used it on the migs though, so maybe.

I would love it if either Deka or ED actually stepped up to the plate and got fucking IRST/Tpods working in A/A tho.

Link Posted: 5/1/2020 7:34:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aeroworksxp] [#41]
Anyone looking forward to the P-47?

Link Posted: 5/2/2020 12:34:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: IL2windhawk] [#42]
This was pretty funny.

Fighter Pilot Memes! | Fighter Pilot Friday

ETA
Here's the link to the Instagram page hes reviewing.  Great memes.
https://www.instagram.com/fighter_pilot_meme_stream/
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 7:14:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Harlikwin:

Nope. Another half finished EA prop job.... Hard pass. 
View All Quotes

Yeah they have enough issues with everything else
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 8:54:32 PM EDT
[#45]
I am going to loose 11.00 in bonuses since they switched over to the new bonus system and can't use the old bonus. Kinda upsetting.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 4:08:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 4:13:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Keekleberrys:
they do need to fix damage modelling on ground targets ill give you that, cluster bombs should wipe out an entire tank company no problem.  ur lucky if it catches them on fire.
View Quote

Ground and sea vehicles have hit points and penetration resistance.  The vehicles are fine until they reach the on fire point.  There aren’t mobility kills or functionally disabled like would really happen.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 8:09:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#48]
Originally Posted By Keekleberrys:
they do need to fix damage modelling on ground targets ill give you that, cluster bombs should wipe out an entire tank company no problem.  ur lucky if it catches them on fire.
View Quote

Yeah, the shitty hit point damage modeling, along with their "clever" angle of attack that either increases or decreases HP "fix" is one the biggest issue in DCS, presumably one of their "rockstar" programmers came up with, only second to the absurdly retarded ground AI. A CBU attack is gonna supress the shit out of anything it hits, it should really fuck up any sort of missile battery cuz guess what, they are mostly not armored enough, a mission kill at the minimum, not they are hosing you 2 seconds later. Same thing for the fucking "slavbo" AA gunners on every vehicle. Sorry, no armor commander is gonna go tell his troops to shoot at that random passing fast mover. Nope, order of the day is hide and hope the fucker can't see you, not hide in the middle of the open field and open up with tracers on anything you see flying by, most likely case you won't even know they are coming. And yeah if your vehicle gets hit bad enough, your though process isn't Ima shoot that guy while shouting "adriana chechnik", its Ima gonna get the fuck out of this now immobile possibly burning deathtrap. No one in their right mind is gonna fight an air attack in an immobile, possibly burning mission kill of a vehicle.

IL-2 got this right like 20 years ago with all those lil dudes spilling out of the back of the truck and diving to the side of the road, why can't ED? In terms of armor/pen models, go all the way back to fucking steel panthers, and the free mods, and then give it a 25% chance of boom, mobility kill, mission kill, magically fine. And that would be 1000% better than what we have. It would take an intern a few weeks to implement, while the "better" model was actually being worked on.

I'm not even gonna bother touching the ship side of the house, there are soooo many other issues at work there its not even funny. Everything from radar, to AA engagment tactics, to EW, to countermeasures to damage modeling and damage control is basically missing. To add further insult to the equation the ASM's are generally mishandled as well.

Its sad to say but DCS simulates some pilotable aircraft reasonably well, but DCS world is a bad joke. This is why the acrobatics servers are so popular.

Link Posted: 5/3/2020 9:09:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By IL2windhawk:
This was pretty funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koEQp8ImlnI

ETA
Here's the link to the Instagram page hes reviewing.  Great memes.
https://www.instagram.com/fighter_pilot_meme_stream/
View Quote

That mexican dude interview is basically the fighter pilot version of the hitler downfall meme vids. Fucking hillarious.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 2:22:29 PM EDT
[#50]
im so glad every other youtuber is playing with the supercarrier I bought 3 months ago and was supposed to get 5 weeks ago...  
Page / 79
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top