Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2017 6:35:09 PM EDT
Disclaimer: I am not much of a computer guy. Sorry. Ridicule me if you must.

The woman brought home a computer from her office they didn't want anymore.

I was looking for games I could install on it just for something to play. Doesnt have to be a fps, but that's what I had in mind. Years ago I liked playing stuff like quake 2 and unreal. I'm sure I'm dating myself lol.

Windows 7 is on it and
Interwebz search didn't turn up much good.

I put the original version of half life in my amazon cart thinking that would probably work. I honestly haven't even had a pc at home for years, so my standards aren't real high.

Any suggestions? Flame suit on.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 6:47:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Download Steam, and there's tons of good games to get.  I recommend The Orange Box for starters, it's got all the Half Life you'll ever need.  I can't recommend the Half Life games enough.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 9:39:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Can you list your hardware specifications? Things like processor, graphics card etc.

Insurgency is a dps based on the source engine that's a lot of fun. It would probably work on an unknown pc?
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 9:44:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Hardware is more important than operating system.

You dont have the latest directX without Win 10, but that might not matter.

What video card is in it?  Memory?  CPU?

If it's from work, it's probably a shit video card that can only (barely) do two screens 2d well and will absolutely shit the bed doing 3d.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 1:20:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 5:13:02 PM EDT
[#5]
We'd need to see your hardware specs to be sure, but if it's like most work computers, it won't play shit for FPS games unless they are 10 or 15 years old.  Most work PCs are built to handle things like word processing, not handle graphics intensive games.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 1:53:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Download Steam, and there's tons of good games to get.  I recommend The Orange Box for starters, it's got all the Half Life you'll ever need.  I can't recommend the Half Life games enough.
View Quote
This.
Get HL out of your Amazon cart, and stop thinking about buying physical copies (unless you want collector's editions).
Steam is all that matters in PC gaming, for pretty much the past decade.

Also we're going to need system specs, and also they will help you determine what you can run.

I'd guess since it was a machine brought home from "work" it probably has shit hardware, and would benefit greatly from upgrading the video card (if the motherboard/case will allow it).
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 2:24:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 11:58:44 AM EDT
[#8]
The first fallout is free on steam right now. Keep an eye out for steam sales, during the last big sale I got a valve box for like $5. It included Half life 1 and all the DLCs/extras, counterstrike 1.6, left for dead, etc etc.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 8:02:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Downloaded steam and got all the half life games.

Sorry to be dumb but how do I see other specs you want to see?

Processor : AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 255 Processor 3.10GHz
Installed Memory (RAM) : 4.00GB (3.75 GB Usable)
System Type : 64-bit Operating System
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 8:42:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Downloaded steam and got all the half life games.

Sorry to be dumb but how do I see other specs you want to see?
View Quote
Press the start button and type dxdiag in the box on the lower left of the screen. All of your system info will be there.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 8:47:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 12:10:40 AM EDT
[#12]
steam has a few dozen free to play games,   Hawken was free not sure if it is now as I had it already. mechwarrior as well.  might have to dial back settings though.  

Quake live should play fine, its just q3 made to play in the browser basically.  

Quake champions might run like crap if it even runs.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 5:46:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Day of Infamy

It's on steam, it's a world war 2 infantry simulator.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top