Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2017 8:46:59 PM EDT
AMD's latest, greatest GPU has failed to offer meaningful competition to the Nvidia cards which have been on the market for over a year.  I was really hoping that Vega was going to break the logjam on Pascal prices.... not that I need to upgrade anytime soon, but competition is always healthy.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 8:52:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I agree. I'm still holding out with a MSI 550 TI card that I want to upgrade, but the price point isn't there yet.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 10:00:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I never have time to game anymore anyway, so I'm just gonna wait until GPUs become a commodity and one that does everything you need costs $20. It's going to happen, and it won't be much longer. 4k extended the life of necessary upgrades, but it won't be long before a cheap gpu can do anything/everything we'd ever want at that res, and then it's over.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 10:06:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I figured I'd sell my 2 1070 cards, been a week and nothing.  Seems like no one is even buying cards right now.  New, or not.

The speculation is that the new cards coming out in Fall will be re-brands, not new cards altogether.  So I think the prices will probably stay where they are for now.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 8:50:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Nobody is buying GPUs except cryptominers and that's why prices are stupid.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 8:50:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I never have time to game anymore anyway, so I'm just gonna wait until GPUs become a commodity and one that does everything you need costs $20. It's going to happen, and it won't be much longer. 4k extended the life of necessary upgrades, but it won't be long before a cheap gpu can do anything/everything we'd ever want at that res, and then it's over.
View Quote
Lol, yeah ok
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:07:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Lol, yeah ok
View Quote
clearly you haven't been in the game long. Remember when computers were monochrome...and then when color started to be used it was like 16 colors? Things finally started to look good when it hit 4096...and once we got to 24 bit color, we were able to essentially 'max out' the number of meaningful colors that the human eye could detect. Then animating pixels was a choke point...until it wasn't. Then animating/shading polygons was the challenge...until it wasn't. There is only so much that one needs to do on a computer screen, presuming we don't waste our time with things beyond the ability of the human body to detect. There's no point in anything higher than 4k res on a computer monitor / laptop / tablet screen, you're brain can't detect anything higher anyway.

These days, lots of light sources and atmospheric affects etc. slow things down, but it won't for much longer. Pretty soon they too will be like color pallets...long since conquered and dirt cheap to do so. Just a matter of time, unless the capabilities of the human eyeball change dramatically, we'll get there very soon. Of course, once we are 'there', GPUs won't really exist anymore...it'll be a small section of a CPU and you won't even be able to buy them separately.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:47:23 AM EDT
[#7]
They aren't going to stop until game of thrones level of cgi is capable in real time on a desktop. But even then it will be more into VR and whatnot, all of that that's far enough out where we will be sitting in nursing homes. As slow as it's progressed in the last 10 years compared to the 20 before it... It's definitely not around the corner.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 11:09:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
They aren't going to stop until game of thrones level of cgi is capable in real time on a desktop. But even then it will be more into VR and whatnot, all of that that's far enough out where we will be sitting in nursing homes. As slow as it's progressed in the last 10 years compared to the 20 before it... It's definitely not around the corner.
View Quote
Nursing homes, lol. I dunno about you, but I'm at least 30 years from a nursing home...what was PC graphics performance like 30 years ago? Outside of the Amiga, computer graphics sucked donkey balls in 1987. Real time GoT will be EASY shortly. Tablets will do it, let alone a desktop...if desktops will even exist in 30 years.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 11:23:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Nursing homes, lol. I dunno about you, but I'm at least 30 years from a nursing home...what was PC graphics performance like 30 years ago? Outside of the Amiga, computer graphics sucked donkey balls in 1987. Real time GoT will be EASY shortly. Tablets will do it, let alone a desktop...if desktops will even exist in 30 years.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Take a commodore 64, that was 82, 83? Then look at crysis from 2007. That was a 25 year jump, and pretty significant. Even from mid 90's to 2007, still a good jump. Now look at games today, compared to crysis 10 years ago... Pretty small jump comparatively.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 11:30:23 AM EDT
[#10]
There will never be a gpu that will be a do everything going at a cheap price. 4k is obsolete already as cameras are starting to roll out with 8k capabilities. Companies are already starting prototype tv in 8k. Until technology stops growing which is no time soon prices will never drop.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 11:43:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
There will never be a gpu that will be a do everything going at a cheap price. 4k is obsolete already as cameras are starting to roll out with 8k capabilities. Companies are already starting prototype tv in 8k. Until technology stops growing which is no time soon prices will never drop.
View Quote
8k seems pointless without being able to upgrade your eyeballs to actually notice the difference. It's the monster cable of display resolutions.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 11:55:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Games haven't been pushing the boundaries of what PCs need to be.

I remember in the 90s and early 2000s where a few year old PC wasn't powerful enough to run the current games.

Now I can go 4 or 5 years without upgrading and still play the new games. Now its upgrading cause the shit I have is starting to get worn.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 12:06:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 12:16:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

8k seems pointless without being able to upgrade your eyeballs to actually notice the difference. It's the monster cable of display resolutions.
View Quote
Have you actually seen a big 8K display?  I've seen the latest and greatest at NAB and InfoComm shows over the last 20 years, and trust me, 8K is spectacular.  It makes 1080P look like mud.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 3:44:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
I remember when some very in-the-know people said modems will never go faster than 9600 baud. The limits of our imagination are not a barrier to what the forward-thinking young folk are doing / going to do. 8k is just another step. If we go to it, fine...but at some point there is a perceptual limit, and when we reach it, prices will tank.

Think of it this way, how much did you pay to get 24 bit color out of your GPU? The ability to do these things is just a given with current tech. Someday, not very far away from now, they will be able to real-time animate 8k video with as many filters/atmospheric effects/shadows as we could perceive / use. On a 20-30" screen, how many more pixels do you think the human eye/brain is capable of seeing? There IS a limit, and we will reach it with computers soon. Anyone who doesn't think so probably hasn't been in the computer game very long. It took decades to get 24-bit+ color, but we got there. Animating polygons will be the exact same way. A temporary hurdle.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 8:32:13 PM EDT
[#16]
I snagged a Vega 56, it should be here tomorrow. I got the two game 499 combo version because I was going to buy the two packaged games anyways, and I've already got freesync monitors.

Prices on video cards are just nuts lately for team green and red. It's hard to find a 1070 for less than 440 depending where you look, 1080s range from 499 to 599 depending on the model/clocks, Vega 64s are pretty much unobtanium unless they are at a 650-699 price. Best place I've found to watch them is nowinstock.com

I'm not sure if the cause of the availability/prices are due to vastly greater demand from consumers, or if consumer demand is moderately higher but manufacturers are reluctant to ramp up production in case the mining market busts and they're stuck with a glut of cards on the market.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 8:56:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Mining market will bust in a few months and they will get sold dirt cheap. 
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 4:26:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I snagged a Vega 56, it should be here tomorrow. I got the two game 499 combo version because I was going to buy the two packaged games anyways, and I've already got freesync monitors.
View Quote
Definitely worth it to play around and try to optimize an undervolt on the Vega cards.
People are able to get 5-10% more performance than stock while consuming 20-30% less power.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 8:40:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Even Microcenter is selling the $250ish-MSRP RX580s for $450.
At that point, why shouldn't I buy a 1080 for $500?

I have an R9-280X 3GB and was hoping to get a new GPU in a week or two.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 9:04:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Even Microcenter is selling the $250ish-MSRP RX580s for $450.
At that point, why shouldn't I buy a 1080 for $500?

I have an R9-280X 3GB and was hoping to get a new GPU in a week or two.

Kharn
View Quote
I sold several R9-280x cards earlier this year.  Got about $150 each for them. 
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 10:06:35 AM EDT
[#21]
A coworker's kid wants a gaming rig for his birthday, i was going to let him go shopping in my spare parts rack since money is tight for them and include the 280x and stuff like a case, power supply, HDDs that I don't need that will let him get a better CPU, RAM, and SSD.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 11:59:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Just sold 2 1070's.  One went for $390, one went for $415.

Market still is strong, just not here on arfcom lol.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 7:25:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Definitely worth it to play around and try to optimize an undervolt on the Vega cards.
People are able to get 5-10% more performance than stock while consuming 20-30% less power.
View Quote
I got the card in today and trying it out now. These cards are super easy to get running at vega 64 speeds; I think it took maybe three buttons and a slider or two to have it running 950 mem and 1540 or so on core. I might keep playing with it but its running well enough now that I don't really have the urge to, unless I can flash a bios on it to up the hbm2 voltage a bit to gain more speed on that. 
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 5:06:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Prices on video cards are just nuts lately for team green and red. It's hard to find a 1070 for less than 440 depending where you look, 1080s range from 499 to 599 depending on the model/clocks, Vega 64s are pretty much unobtanium unless they are at a 650-699 price. Best place I've found to watch them is nowinstock.com

I'm not sure if the cause of the availability/prices are due to vastly greater demand from consumers, or if consumer demand is moderately higher but manufacturers are reluctant to ramp up production in case the mining market busts and they're stuck with a glut of cards on the market.
View Quote
For the vega cards they really can't make anymore of them. The use of  hbm2 memory  makes the production  limited. Plus with the cost of hbm2 I doubt they ate even turning a profit on the cards
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 6:43:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
For the vega cards they really can't make anymore of them. The use of  hbm2 memory  makes the production  limited. Plus with the cost of hbm2 I doubt they ate even turning a profit on the cards
View Quote
BOM is <$300.
Most estimates put the cost of 2x 4hi stacks of HBM2 at ~$120-$150.
~484mm2 die on 14FinFet is <$100 (~$70-80 depending on yield and wafer cost).
VRM and PCB components are ~$30-$40 (depending on volume discount)
Packaging and assembly is ~$20-$30.

HBM2 has been mass produced since Q3 '16 if you believe the manufacturer.
Samsung also started ramping HBM2 production a few months ago, which will help alleviate some of the "supposed" supply and cost constraints.

Don't take everything you read on rumor sites to heart.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 6:45:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 1:16:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Sure hope not.  Got the sells of my 2 cards funds locked by ebay until delivery.  Wont have funds until wed-thurs.  Cant buy new card till then lol.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 10:25:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I remember when some very in-the-know people said modems will never go faster than 9600 baud. The limits of our imagination are not a barrier to what the forward-thinking young folk are doing / going to do. 8k is just another step. If we go to it, fine...but at some point there is a perceptual limit, and when we reach it, prices will tank.

Think of it this way, how much did you pay to get 24 bit color out of your GPU? The ability to do these things is just a given with current tech. Someday, not very far away from now, they will be able to real-time animate 8k video with as many filters/atmospheric effects/shadows as we could perceive / use. On a 20-30" screen, how many more pixels do you think the human eye/brain is capable of seeing? There IS a limit, and we will reach it with computers soon. Anyone who doesn't think so probably hasn't been in the computer game very long. It took decades to get 24-bit+ color, but we got there. Animating polygons will be the exact same way. A temporary hurdle.
View Quote
lol that's cool and all but since GPUs aren't going to be integrated into CPUs in time for me to be playing PUBG at 100+ FPS in 1440p on my next set of days off, I bought a new graphics card today.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 11:17:55 PM EDT
[#29]
I went for a water-cooled 1080Ti as well.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 8:43:48 PM EDT
[#30]
And who said GD isn't good for investing advice?

AMD shot up today.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 9:37:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

lol that's cool and all but since GPUs aren't going to be integrated into CPUs in time for me to be playing PUBG at 100+ FPS in 1440p on my next set of days off, I bought a new graphics card today.
View Quote
Well, look on the bright side, someday you'll be able to tell your grandkids how much money crappy old technology used to cost. Happens to the best of us I suppose. I remember when HDs cost hundreds per megabyte. Ahhh the crappy old days.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 2:12:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Games haven't been pushing the boundaries of what PCs need to be.

I remember in the 90s and early 2000s where a few year old PC wasn't powerful enough to run the current games.

Now I can go 4 or 5 years without upgrading and still play the new games. Now its upgrading cause the shit I have is starting to get worn.
View Quote
It's because of consoles. Developers can't push boundaries much except every 7 years although they did refresh the last generation so they could finally do 1080p or better lol.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 4:49:12 PM EDT
[#33]
This sucks. i have been wanting to replace my 750 Ti forever now and this isn't helping!
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 6:28:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
This sucks. i have been wanting to replace my 750 Ti forever now and this isn't helping!
View Quote
I'm wanting to replace my GTX 480...
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 7:11:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Take a commodore 64, that was 82, 83? Then look at crysis from 2007. That was a 25 year jump, and pretty significant. Even from mid 90's to 2007, still a good jump. Now look at games today, compared to crysis 10 years ago... Pretty small jump comparatively.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just got back into gaming in a decently big way, haven't been in the scene for almost a decade. I was honestly disappointed with the graphics progress, I was expecting almost photo realism and its really not much better than it was 10 years ago. doesn't stop video cards from still costing fucking $800.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 5:45:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Bunch a cheap bastards. Talking $800 cards and shit. Bought a new GTX 1070 last October for $315. I know crypto fuckers inflated the prices, but they're already coming back down. Building a PC for a friend and bought a new GTX 1070 Windforce OC from NewEgg 2 weeks ago for $370.

That card will get you well over 100 fps in Destiny 2 on ultra everything at 1080.
Set it to 1440 and you will still rock 75-100 fps.
If you're pushing into the 4k gaming it will still run 35-60 depending on the game (edit: still max settings).

If you want VR, the Vive and Oculus are locked in at 2160x1200, you can run almost everything at max with a 1070. You can even do some SuperSampling on it.

All for just over $300, and have been playing with it for a year already. Edit: It even out performs the 980Ti.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 8:29:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Bunch a cheap bastards. Talking $800 cards and shit. Bought a new GTX 1070 last October for $315. I know crypto fuckers inflated the prices, but they're already coming back down. Building a PC for a friend and bought a new GTX 1070 Windforce OC from NewEgg 2 weeks ago for $370.

That card will get you well over 100 fps in Destiny 2 on ultra everything at 1080.
Set it to 1440 and you will still rock 75-100 fps.
If you're pushing into the 4k gaming it will still run 35-60 depending on the game (edit: still max settings).

If you want VR, the Vive and Oculus are locked in at 2160x1200, you can run almost everything at max with a 1070. You can even do some SuperSampling on it.

All for just over $300, and have been playing with it for a year already. Edit: It even out performs the 980Ti.
View Quote
They're $400 now, for the cheapest one available, and have been for a while.  I bit the bullet and bought a 1080 a while back, and the price is still the same.  My point is that AMD is doing nothing to move the market toward better price/performance.

I would imagine that the next-gen Nvidia chips will be an improvement in that regard.  However, I've long held the opinion that Nvidia has some room in their pricing, and could offer a competitive response to a solid AMD challenger at any time, while still maintaining a respectable profit.  Unfortunately, AMD has not provided such a challenge in the last few years.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top