Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/1/2003 7:36:34 AM EDT
I have a Gateway with a 500 mhz Pentium III.  My operating system is Windows 98.  My current card is a 16mb #Dfx Voodoo 3 3000G. Yesterday I purchased a eVGA Geforce FX 5200 128 mb AGP  8x/4x.  After installing the card I followed the instructions and let windows try to find a driver.  It defaulted to a low setting and I tried to install the software that came with the card.  The software is suppose to remove the old drivers and install the new stuff. The software checked my system, it seemed OK,  and proceeded to start the installation wizard.  When the software attempted to modify my registry I got an error and the process stops.  I thought Norton might be the problem so I disabled and attempted again.  Still didn't work.

Note my card appears slightly different. It has two series of pins for the AGP slot.  The new card is divided into three series of pins but still fits my AGP slot.  

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 9:15:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I would start by just going to nvidia's website and downloading the latest detonator drivers. Skip the CD for now. See if that works.
[url]http://nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp[/url]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 4:32:27 PM EDT
[#2]
What was the error that you got?
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 2:27:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like you had AGP 1.0 with 2 pins and now you are running a universal card with 3 pins so that shouldnt be a problem except for decreased performance.  Look in.. my computer...control panel..system...device manager... and then see if there are any yellow circles with "!" in them.  Make sure voodoo card is not showing up in there, if so remove it. Remove any reference to new video card also.  Reboot computer and when it finds new video card tell it where the drivers are.  If you know what the error says that would help a lot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top