Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2006 4:49:30 PM EDT
I recently stumbled uppon this Kimo character, and if one thing has made me seriously considder taking classes in some sort of self defense this guy is it.

Here is a link to a couple of his fights, although I think that he only has 3.

Links left cold due to the fact that I am sure there is not safe for work material on there.
http://www.sikvid.com/vids/906.html
http://www.killsometime.com/Video/video.asp?ID=459

I am not sure that even some one well versed in self defense would put up much of a fight against this guy just due to size alone. Hopefully there are not too many bad guys out there like this.  

ETA: another link.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:36:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Straight up that dude sucks.   Id wager any mediocre MMA fighter would kill the guy in a NHB style fight.   Laying on the floor for 25 seconds to catch your breath, no knees, no ground fighting, no elbows... it was crap IMO.  Even a skilled 185 lb guy who knew BJJ would defeat that guy in an open fight.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:01:46 AM EDT
[#2]
This guy is at best a decent bare knuckle boxer.  Put him in the ring with gloves and a good boxer and he would get smoked.  He has no idea how to work angles, has no head movement, and moves in straight lateral lines.  Plus his cardio sucks he gassed in 9 minutes against Gannon.

FYI the 'UFC' fighter he was fighting against, Sean Gannon, had 0 fights in the UFC prior to fighting Kimbo.  After the Kimbo fight Gannon fought 1 fight in the UFC and lost.  Add to that Gannon was a Cop and lost his job because of the fight with Kimbo.

The basic deal on Kimbo is he is a big guy, can take a punch, and only takes fights in which he has a significant advantage.  Would I want to fight him on the street?  Not unless I had to.  In the ring? No problem.

Check out some of Bob Sapp's fights and you'll see what happens to a big guy with marginal skills in real MMA competitions.

ETA:  Bob Sapp vs. Nog: http://youtube.com/watch?v=jOPPldDIUVQ
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:13:11 AM EDT
[#3]
I figured there would be post about "any MMA fighter/bjj player can take him" etc.  Gannon got the worse of the exchange.  For someone that was a 6x golden glove hw champ, he didn't show any skill.  just a solid chin and marginally better cardio.  IMO, with cardio, Kimbo can be a champ.  If John Ruiz can be a HW champ, so can Kimbo.

It was Gannon's use of the front choke that took a lot of wind out of Kimbo.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:16:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Does anyone know how big Kimbo is? In the fight were he destroys the guys eye, he looks like he is about my height, but I can't really tell.

When I did a search for him last night there seemed to be a lot of guys talking smack on forums about how he sucks, so I would immagine that there must be something to that, but none the less this guy is an animal.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:39:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I heard about "The legend of Kimbo Slice" about 4 years ago. In the "Kimbo fight 2" video how many times does Kimbo throw the left, right upper-cut combo, seems to me after the 2nd or 3rd time that other schmuck should have figured his game out. I am by no means a fighter but it seems to me that this guy has just enough chin to take some hits until he lands a good punch. All of the videos I've seen of him, he has been paired against fighters that were there to take a beating. As for him fighting a real MMA fight this guy would get his ass handed to him. I know its not street fighting but if you want to see a MMA fighter with real skill, Fedor Emelianenko is the man to watch. If I were to meet someone like Kimbo in a dark alley (would never be in that situation to begin with) I would have to walk the other way.

NDP

Edit:Read twice post once.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:41:34 PM EDT
[#6]
he is good at what he does, period.  you don't see, well rarely, people talk about boxers fighting pro mma fighters.  no talk about Ali vs Fedor.  keep the topic apples to apples.

Gannon is 6'3" @ 265.  Kimbo is big.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:34:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Kimbo is 6'2" and 245 lbs.  Big but not THAT big.  I have boxed bigger buffed up black guys. Standing in front of a guy that big with no gloves is asking for punishment IMO and Kimbo does deliver that whenther he wins or loses.  Still any heavyweight with some skill could do enough to NOT get hurt in a street fight with the guy IMO for at least 60 seconds wich is how long it takes Kimbo to gas out.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:37:18 AM EDT
[#8]
hw is big.  a small hw but still bigger than tyson
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:41:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Kimbo is an undisciplined street brawler . .period
if he learned BJJ or Muay Thai KB he would be dangerous against UFC challengers..
check out   Sherdog and do a search for his name and you'll come up with alot of threads.

i'd like to see Kimbo vs. Bob Sapp in the UFC
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:42:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Tyson is 5'10" despite what his stats say his height is.  He is 215-220lbs.  The smallest heavyweight I have ever seen is Holyfield.  I could not believe he was so small because he looks so buff on TV.  He was smaller than I was.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:44:47 AM EDT
[#11]
i linked the videos
here

and here
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:47:26 AM EDT
[#12]
that's cause Holyfield is a cruiserweight.  James Toney is another small hw.

sherdog?  haven't been there in years.  too many keyboard warriors there that just watch tuf and don't train.  the boxing forum there is pretty good.  tam-tam is very knowledgable but quite bias.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top