Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/6/2006 7:36:18 AM EDT
I recently started teaching Karate at my church as an outreach. (Thanks LB for the videos, my son and I are reviewing them). Some of my students are doing VERY well and I'd like to take them to a tournament. Any of you guys know of any in the North Missouri, East Kansas, South Iowa area?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:40:14 PM EDT
I am going to assume you are talking about point sparring, kata, and weapons kata.

I would suggest your program look into AAU Karate.

AAU Karate

One of your instructors will need to be certified as a coach and there will be some sort of fees.There is not much political bullshit.

You won't have a bunch of silly stuff like crappy uraken (back fists) getting points in Kumite. You can throw and sweep if you follow up with a strike.

It also makes you eligible to be selected to compete in international tournaments. I was selected for the AAU Junior Team to compete in an JKA match in Hungary. I didn't go. My sensei had cancer so I didn't go for it, he could not have trained me.

I would look into the AAU program. Most local tournaments, like what I think you want, will be very political. The AAU is not, they have strict rules to keep the BS out.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:18:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/20/2006 12:25:11 PM EDT by GlockandRoll]
Why not find a MMA tournament instead and test your skills against BJJ and MT?

You may want to go to a website called 'Bullshido' and learn a bit about Brazilian Jiu-Jitsi before wasting too much time on Kung Fu, TKD, or Karate:

www.bullshido.net/gallery/index.php/cat/522
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:33:39 AM EDT

Originally Posted By GlockandRoll:
Why not find a MMA tournament instead and test your skills against BJJ and MT?

You may want to go to a website called 'Bullshido' and learn a bit about Brazilian Jiu-Jitsi before wasting too much time on Kung Fu, TKD, or Karate:

www.bullshido.net/gallery/index.php/cat/522

One step at a time. I'm looking for a tournament for my students. I don't think I want to throw an 8 year old into a cage match. Our style begins with kicking/punching/blocking and eventually works into grappling/throwing/arm-bars etc.

I am familiar with Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. I've been to one of their seminars. I have their tapes. They have several useful applications which I include in my students' self-defense training. If there was a dojo near here, I'd consider training with them. We also borrow some from Muay Thai.

That said, from what little exposure I've had to MMA tournaments the risk of injury is high and that is not something I want for my students.
Top Top