Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/25/2006 8:09:00 PM EDT

Took my test for red belt today (that's me on the right). That's 3 tests and a minimum of 15 months or so away from the first opportunity I will have to test for my black belt...at which time I will be almost 41 years old.

My son took his brown belt test today.

If he sticks with it, he'll be a black belt before he's 12.

God I feel old.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:56:46 AM EDT
Congrats to you and son! No matter what keep it up!
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:05:37 PM EDT
Good job! Keep it (and your guards!) up!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:29:45 AM EDT
If you become a Black belt do you really have to go Register at the police station like they used to tell us when we were kids?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:36:56 AM EDT
Quick Rik, get the nunchucks on the ground behind you man! Good pics, i always wanted to get into something formal like that.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:39:19 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Sixgun357:
If you become a Black belt do you really have to go Register at the police station like they used to tell us when we were kids?

LOL i remember that!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:29:01 AM EDT

Originally Posted By IronSamVane:

Originally Posted By Sixgun357:

LOL i remember that!

Me too, hell there were guys in high school still going around saying that.

Congrats, RikWriter!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:17:06 PM EDT
So Rik, why are you all padded up but the gent you're sparring with is going at it sans pads?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:02:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SF1058:
So Rik, why are you all padded up but the gent you're sparring with is going at it sans pads?

I am padded up because the Grand Master requires that all students below black belt level wear pads when sparring.
The guy I am fighting is not required to wear pads since he's a black belt (2nd dan IIRC).
Trust me, I'd rather NOT wear pads. It's hot as hell in that place...by the time I was through with the test I looked like someone had dumped a gallon jug of water on me.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:35:44 PM EDT
Damn those Grand Poohbah's!

What style are you studying?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:49:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SF1058:
Damn those Grand Poohbah's!

What style are you studying?

Tae Kwan Do.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:54:38 PM EDT
Why did they start the purple/yellow/green/red/brown stuff?.....to keep students motivated. BB in TKD + JJ in 80.Took me 7yrs. I feel older than you!...Good luck! Your kid looks like a keeper!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:23:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By mags:
Why did they start the purple/yellow/green/red/brown stuff?.....to keep students motivated.

Well, and to get more money out of them. When I originally took TKD (back in college...had to leave when I went in the Army so I only got up to blue belt) there were about 3 fewer belts and you tested when you were ready, not at any set time. Now, you test every three monthjs and you really have to suck ass to fail. Still, you get out of it what you put into it and I am lucky that I have several good, dedicated, motivated people to train with that push me to the edge. Maybe a black belt doesn't mean as much as it used to...but MINE will.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:46:24 PM EDT
I in no way meant to say otherwise, than ,as you say w/many belts its for the $$. When I was partaking it was green/brown/black/ +blackdegrees to 10th degree. Plus later they had stripe's. Like green w/3 stripes meant you were ready to challange for brown. Man I'm getting old. Plus as you say RW, the instructors dedication and >>yours are the key elements.Good luck!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:02:20 PM EDT

Originally Posted By mags:
I in no way meant to say otherwise, than ,as you say w/many belts its for the $$. When I was partaking it was green/brown/black/ +blackdegrees to 10th degree. Plus later they had stripe's. Like green w/3 stripes meant you were ready to challange for brown. Man I'm getting old. Plus as you say RW, the instructors dedication and >>yours are the key elements.Good luck!

Oh, I didn't think you meant to say otherwise! Sorry, I didn't mean to come across that way.
Yes, the instructors are very important, but I've also found that it's crucial to have fellow students who are motivated and push you. I would never have joined this class if it weren't for a couple other guys in it---one is a deputy black belt and the other a brown belt---who are very serious about the art and train very hard.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:59:49 PM EDT
So what Federation/Association do you belong to and do you do WTF or ITF Poomse? Dont sweat the age thing too much. I will go thru the testing process for SaDan (4th Dan) in Tang Soo Do next year and I will be 44.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:02:37 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Torakan:
So what Federation/Association do you belong to and do you do WTF or ITF Poomse?

The World Martial Art Federation.
Top Top