Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/6/2006 9:45:24 PM EDT
I've never jumped or skipped rope and keep hearing that it's beneficial.
Is it something that I should be learning? How difficult and where do I get started?
Thanx!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:34:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you serious??....... try boxing websites for how to's and different techniques.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:38:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Go down to the local hardware store, and purchase 7 ft. of no. 10 spot cord.  

Put an end of the line in each hand and swing it along the Y axis.  When it reaches your feet, try and jump over it.  Vary the RPM until you get the hang of it.  Alternate methods of doing this include:  using both feet, alternating feet, and one foot.  This is good aerobic conditioning, as well as working on timing.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:26:25 AM EDT
[#3]
We usually do (3) 3 minute rounds with 30 second rests as a cool down after sparring.  I have a small cooking timer I got at WalMart for less than $10, which allows you to program both intervals.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:19:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I have found that the leather ropes with ball bearings worked best for me.

The leather is replaceable.

For portablility, skipping rope is great.  I worked for SONAT SUBSEA Services years ago in Morgan City, LA, and one of our divers was always skipping rope on the deck of the ship when we were out in the Gulf... sure beat running around the sometimes slippery deck.  It's just the boredom thing that's been hard to get over sometimes.

Watch your heart rate.  Skipping rope for 10 minutes will put your heart through a harder workout than running for 10 minutes (unless you ran full-bore for that amount of time )
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top