Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2006 1:49:12 AM EDT
Ok, so I'm a young guy, 18 years old, who has just started doing an (what I hope to be) intense weightlifting plan. I recieved a subscription to a super-nice Health Club (only good chain in Alaska) and have been working out an hour a day, four days a week. I'd like to shed about ten to fifteen pounds while putting on quite a bit of muscle. I've been doing my routine for about three months now and I'd like a bit more of a result.

I'm springing for a Personal Trainer next month to help things get going a bit. I do the big Protien shake thing after every workout, usually. What's the best way for me to maximize muscle addition? I'd like to bulk up here over the springtime. I've got a pretty basic routine, simply Chest & Tri one day, then Back & Bi, Shoulders then Legs. How long should I strive to workout for? I try to shoot for three sets of reps, burning out by the third but some guys say that six sets of small reps works better. What's your preference?

Also, does anyone recommend taking Creatin? My dad used to add it to his shakes when we worked out together and I've thought about adding it to mine. Does anyone else use this?

I'd like to do a walk-on for my College football team when I transfer down to my small college next year to complete my major. As such, I'd like bulk up between now and then.

Thanks for the Help.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:47:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I would check out

www.wannabebig.com
www.abcbodybuilding.com

They are both very informative sites.

That being said, you will have to find out what works for your body. People respond to different things in different ways. As a general rule, lower reps will increase strength. I have found that my body really grows when I am lifting in the 8-10 rep range. For my size, I have an embarrasingly low BP and squat though.

You might want to check out the west side style. There are many good artilces about it on wannabebig.com, and with a few modifications it can be made to suit your needs well.

The one thing I would really reccomend would be to incorperate as many olympic lifts as possible into your routine. The dead lift will make the back side of your body blow up (it is my one really good lift). Squats are obviously the best leg excersise until you get really tall. The bench really puts mucsle on my chest. I would try to focus more on incline press since you will be looking to play football, as that is one of the most important movments in the game.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:18:38 PM EDT
[#2]
If I were your age and wanting to play football, I'd save my money for the personal trainer and find an Oly-lifting coach.   The Olympic lifts (the snatch and the clean-and-jerk) build explosive power better than any other exercises.  Guaranteed.  Check out

www.hatchdome.com
www.crossfit.com

Take your time looking through Crossfit's website, especially the message board.  There is tons of info there, and the daily workouts will be the toughest you've done.  They aren't bodybuilding routines, but  are extremely intense.  Be sure to read and follow the Start Here link before beginning this program.

Also check out the video clips on Gayle Hatch's website.  The kid he trains is STOUT.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:09:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't over do it, and don't hurt yourself, but the biggest  things for me are 1. HEAVY weights build BIG muscles. 2. If you can do ten reps you should add more weight. 3. Eat good medium sized meals every three hours, and no, you don't have to get up in the middle of the night to eat. like 6am brekfast  - 9am big snack / small meal -12 noon lunch - 3 pm big snack / small meal and 6 pm supper. that should do it, if you eat after 9pm it might turn into fat. when I say snack I don't mean junk food. more like 8oz of lean roast beef. If you can try and spend more than the one hour you mentioned in the gym, increase the number of sets you do.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:32:37 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Don't over do it, and don't hurt yourself, but the biggest  things for me are 1. HEAVY weights build BIG muscles. 2. If you can do ten reps you should add more weight. 3. Eat good medium sized meals every three hours, and no, you don't have to get up in the middle of the night to eat. like 6am brekfast  - 9am big snack / small meal -12 noon lunch - 3 pm big snack / small meal and 6 pm supper. that should do it, if you eat after 9pm it might turn into fat. when I say snack I don't mean junk food. more like 8oz of lean roast beef. If you can try and spend more than the one hour you mentioned in the gym, increase the number of sets you do.

Food consumed after 9PM is not that much more likly to be stored as fat than at any other point in the day when consuming 6 equal meals. I eat at 9PM and midnight, and it does not make me fat. I cut the carbs down at that time, and switch it up to a form of casine protein, usually cottatge cheese. When you are trying to bulk up, you should pretty much be eating all day. I try to get 4500 cal when bulking up, not counting pre/post workout shakes/carbs.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:42:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I know, it's just that he is young and I don't want him to stretch his stomach out by stuffing himself and then he never feels full and ends up fat.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:58:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Here is what I have found has worked well for me. The old fashioned 5 sets of 5 reps.  The first 2 or 3 sets are warm up sets and the remaining are the "working" sets.

Since I have been out of the iron game for a while, here is what I am currently doing:

Monday: Benchpress, Trap Bar Deadlifts, Straight Bar Curls, Dips (I do sets until I get 50 or 60 reps)
Thursday: Squats; Bent Over Rows, Standing Military Barbell Press, Pullups and Chinups.

I go as hard as I can.

Every time I hit all the reps on the working sets, I add weight the next time.

I'm going to start working on a sandbag so I can lug that around too.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:33:21 PM EDT
[#7]

find an Oly-lifting coach

I disagree.  I've known guys on and off for over 45 years that have Olympic lifted, and every one of them regrets it.  The abuse takes its toll.

Instead, powerlifting is much better for the long term.   Something like the Sheiko or Korte routines usually give the best possible long-term results.  The routines with a form that does the percent calculations for you:

Korte

Sheiko

I've been doing a routine like this for over forty years.  If I had been doing dangerous lifts that cause damage like power cleans and jerks, I probably would have been washed-up over twenty years ago.z
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:38:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Check-out elite fitness.com, tons of information on those forums.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:30:56 AM EDT
[#9]
zoom--

Sorry, but the power lifts do not develop exposiveness (required in every sport) the way the oly-lifts do.  And we can go on and on about "dangerous" lifts.  If you receive proper instruction, these lifts aren't any more "dangerous" than, say, the deadlift; a good example of an exercise that can cause serious injury if not done properly.  

Getting in your car is dangerous.  Sitting on the couch eating crap all day is hazardous to your health.  It's up to the individual to decide what "risks" they take on a daily basis.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:33:53 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I know, it's just that he is young and I don't want him to stretch his stomach out by stuffing himself and then he never feels full and ends up fat.

I can eat over 10lbs in one sitting, and I am not fat. If you are going to have the determination and self control to play football, you should have the same to not eat yourself into fatassdom.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:45:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I would eat healthy.. see a nutritionist if you have problems knowing what to eat.. get some coaching for proper technique for every lift you do. I would stick to heavy lifts with a spotter for finishing final reps. Always do a number of reps that require a spotter to finish the last 2 -3. Eat like a pig... eventually your metabolism will kick in and you will be hungry all the time. You will need the calories and vitamins to feed your body after workouts. Eat healthy, no snacks no sweats. That stuff will go to fat. Supplement your diet with protein drinks and carbos. Rest is very important, get 8 plus hours a night and stay away from alcohol. good luck
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:25:35 PM EDT
[#12]
tag for later
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:32:02 PM EDT
[#13]
You did not say what position you wanted to try out in football. So, with nothing in mind, you can not go wrong with Cleans. Try PowerCleans (from knees up) or straight up Cleans (from the floor) will give you explosive strength from both 2 and 3 point stance. If you are willing, do Clean n Jerks. They will build up top balance. Be very careful about full front squat when cleaning heavy, it is a good way to push a knee out for results that only an Olympic lifter would be attempting to achieve.
You can't go wrong with the basics of Cleans, Squats and deadlifts for football. Try some bounding for power too. If you have access to an indoor pool, you can bound in the water. Sounds silly, but the deeper you go, the more resistance to get your torso out of the water. All without the knee strain.
What ever you do, stay off machines that isolate movement, you want to get all the benefit of moving weight through your connective regions to gain real strength. Train the trunk, but don't let it be the be-all of all your training.

As for eating, eat right now (even thought your young with a high metabolism) and you won't have to pay for it later.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:45:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Well...
I'm a mod on a strength forum that has an outstanding reputation for very high quality training info. We have professional strongmen, powerlifters, and fighters (yours truly) on staff.
www.irontrybe.com

It is possible to train for for functional strength. And do not get into the symantics about your metabolism, etc. The notion that it affects your ability to gain mass is a misnomer. You are just not training correctly just yet.

Check out Charles Staley as a good guide and place to start if you like. www.renegadetraining.com
I have no affiliation to him whatsoever, but he is recognized as one of the best functional strength guys in the world.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:21:44 PM EDT
[#15]
I successfully walked on to a Div I-AA football team if you want some advice then IM me and I will help you.  I played strong safety so if you are a lineman my routine probably wont work for you.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:22:49 PM EDT
[#16]
12 oz. reps
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:57:12 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
12 oz. reps

x 6 sets right?!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top