Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/15/2006 6:26:01 PM EDT
Monday January 16th will be my first gym-going adventure.

60 lbs. is my goal, these are my stats..................240, 5'10"

I want to be around 180, my main question is this, when is working-out going to be more beneficial?

Morning?

Mid-day?

Evening?

Also, I primarily want just fat loss......not strength training or not alot of muscle gain.
First I just want to just burn off weight, then I can tone and build muscle..........

what do I do to just burn off weight? Cardio perhaps?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:34:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/16/2006 2:36:29 AM EDT by H46Driver]
Not to be glib, but it will be most beneficial whenever you will do it. If you procrastinate and are prone to delaying and skipping, then first thing in the AM would be best. Also, you can feel good about yourself for the rest of the day.

If you run down in the afternoons, a lunchtime workout can be just the thing to get you through.

Lots of people like to wind down after work/school with a workout.

There are lots of studies about strength and aerobic workouts being better at certain times, but as a beginner you will reap the benefits whenever you choose to work out.

As far as work out routines - do some of everything. All around fitness is best. Try to get at least 30 minutes of aerobic work 3 x week and 2-3 20-30 minute strength workouts for best results. Find something that you enjoy. Could be running, cycling, swimming, aerobics, spinning, lifting, calesthenics, whatever. If you enjoy it, you will do it longer.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:21:09 PM EDT
The time of day does not matter. Just make sure you are taking care of it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:22:46 AM EDT
Morning, you will have more natural hormones, energy, ect. plus will feel good about working out all day as mentioned above.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:38:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MyakkaVice:
Morning, you will have more natural hormones, energy, ect. plus will feel good about working out all day as mentioned above.

In the evening you are at your strongest.

It is really 6 of one half dozen of the other. get in when you can, and don't stop going.

I would reccomend cardio after weights though, as you will have more energy to lift, and then when your muscle glycogen stores are depleted from lifting, your body will be encouraged to burn more fat.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:48:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/17/2006 1:53:06 PM EDT by Remman]
First off Im not a guru or claim to be, but I do work out a lot, and have done my research. A good read is Arnold Schwartzenegger's The New Encylopedia of Modern Bodybuilding.(Its not all about body building but it teaches you every thing you want to know about getting in shape.) This is not the end all to fat loss, just my POV. YMMV

What I do is lift weights in the mourning and run in the afternoon 5 days a week. I know thats alot, but Im a bit of a exercise nut.

What I recommend is that you do your work outs in the mourning. This way as you intake nutrients all day, they will be going to your muscles, instead of being processed into fat until you work out.. To burn fat the fastest, you need to combine strength training and aerobic exercise. If you just want to burn fat real fast you need to do a few things. Wind sprints 20 min at a time. This means 40y-100y dash with a 30 second to a min rest, or rat races. This can be substituted for regular aerobic exercise 30-45 min a time. You should do this AT LEAST 3 times a week.

Next is weight lifting. This is a must for burning fat fast. The more muscle mass you have the more calories a day you will burn. You want to work out your entire body. If you can only lift a few days a week, do whole body work outs. If you have the luxury of time and can find the will to go more often, then try a few diferent training programs.
I do
Mon - Chest
Tues - Back
Wed - Legs
Thurs - Shoulders and lats
Fri - Arms
abs every other day when I wake up
You want to tone all of your muscles. The exercises to focus on though are your large muscle groups, like hang cleans, dead lifts, squats, and others.

Next is diet
Eat high in protein, at least 1 gram of protein per gram of body wieght. about 20 percent of fat in your diet, and low carb. You do want some carbs, just enough to not go into ketosis.(adkins) as long as you dont go into ketosis and are getting enough protein, you will not be loosing muscle with the fat. Also eating 5 smaller meals a day is better than 3 large. This keeps your metabolism up and promotes fat loss.

Tid bits
6 pills of fish oil a day will increase the amount of muscle and decrease your fat composition with out any thing else.
No caffine or processed sugar on a empty stomach. This puts your body into a fat storage mode. So before your work out in the mourning eat fresh fruit for energy. After your work out drink a protein shake. I like Chocolate Mega Whey from GNC. This replaces lost amino acids in your muscles and will help build muscle and promote fat loss.
Above all you need to put your body into a calorie deficeit. This is by increasing your exercise and lowering your calorie intake. This will take trail and error because every body is different.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your life style change

RemMan

eta: You are going about it kinda back wards by loosing the fat first and then building muscle, muscle will be much easier to gain when you have fat reserves, and it will be easier to burn the fat when you have more muscle.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:29:19 PM EDT
To burn fat you need to do long, low-intensity workouts like walking for an hour or more. It takes a while for your body to burn off its stored sugar and start burning fat. This transistion from stored energy to fat burning happens around 1hr. Your heart rate should be elevated, but you don't need to be sucking wind. Do this either after you take a crap or when you would be otherwise eating junk food.
Top Top