Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/9/2005 6:13:29 PM EDT
I need to lose a lot of weight. Ideally I want to lose 60 lbs. After I left the Army, I got married, had kids, etc... My weight gradually built to the point of over the top. I am doing a treadmill 6 days a week (20 minutes). I've lost 10 lbs so far but its not coming off easily.

Need some good tips. Also how bad is beer when trying to lose weight?
Thanks
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 2:49:29 AM EDT
A few years ago, I dropped 60 pounds in 6 months. I went fron 205 to 145 (I'm only 5'-7"). I utilized a very restrictive diet, coupled with taking up running. It was not easy, nor would any dietician recommend what I did. It did result in me getting to the weight I wanted to be at.

There are many diet schemes out there... low carb... low sugar... atkins... south beach... the bottom line is eating better/smarter and exercising more.

For a week, write down every single thing you eat or drink, and the volumes and approximate sizes. Go here: Fit Day Enter your food intake. It will give you an idea how much you should be eating as opposed to what you actually are eating.

In case you are wondering... yes, I have kept the weight off. I've continued running because I actually like it, and run between 30 and 50 miles a week. I've run 5 marathons since I dropped the weight, and am healthier now than I was in HS (I'm 38 now). My weekly mileage enables me to eat whatever I want, and I have to work to stay at the weight I am.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 4:17:19 AM EDT
Thanks for the Fit Day link. It looks like it will help. Can you give me an idea of your diet and routine?
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 4:55:45 AM EDT
Illigb gave you a lot of useful info.

Basically you have to modify your diet. Cut out the excess carbs. Limit the bad fats. Cut out the sugar.

I did the South beach thing a couple of years ago. Went from 204 to 176. I have come up to 200, but it is all muscle. You might want to look into that.

Good luck, and don't quit.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 10:43:52 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ToddB:
Thanks for the Fit Day link. It looks like it will help. Can you give me an idea of your diet and routine?

When I was cutting weight, I would eat a salad (no dressing) and one slice of bread for lunch, and a can of tuna and an apple for dinner. No breakfast. No sodas. No coffee. Only water. Yes, it is a monotonous as it sounds. Believe it or not, after a while you really do stop feeling so hungry. It was easier for me to go to a super restrictive diet than try to just cut out this or that... Like I said above, it worked for me, but I'm sure it wasn't the healtiest thing to do.

I started running, or attempting to run when I was 200 pounds. I beat my knees up and realized that until I dropped a few pounds it probably wasn't a good idea to start running. For the first few months, I would wrap myself up in sweats, hats, scarfs, and get on my wife's stationary bike. I would ride that damn thing for almost an hour every night. Once I hit 170, I started running again. The bike helped me have a little aerobic base for running.

Running was difficult to get into. For the longest time, I would practically puke at 3 miles, regardless of the pace I ran at. After about 2 months, it was like someone flipped a switch... 4 miles, 5 miles, 6 miles... whatever. Another barrier for me was 8 minute miles. I had a regular route I ran that was 5 miles. 43 minutes, then 42 minutes, then 40 minutes. For about 2 months, I could not get through the 40 minute barrier. I was running the occasional 5k race here and there, and running these shorter distances at 7 minute mile (or better) pace. Then finally I was able to do my 5 mile loop below 8 minute pace.

I ran a 3:12 marathon a few years ago. That is under 7 minute mile pace for 26.2 miles. Once you have an aerobic base, running is 90% mental and 10% physical.

Sorry for the ramble. I guess the point to the whole thing is to be persistant and stick with it. You did not put on all your extra weight in one day, and you positively will not take it off in one day. You truly have to take it one meal at a time. Changing eating habits is very difficult to do, which is why there are so man people with weight problems today.

Good luck. If a stubby-legged little Polack like me can do, anyone can.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 6:20:50 AM EDT
Thanks for the inspiration. I'm at 305 and want to lose the magic number of 100 lbs of lard over the next year. I actually started before Thanksgiving to try and avoid the seasonal weight gain and I've lost almost 10 lbs since November 1st. 100 lbs is only 2 lbs a week. I'm taking it week by week and it'll come off. My wife is 100 % with me and wants to lose some weight herself.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:55:40 PM EDT
Is it just a Myth that eating breakfast jump starts your metaoblism? Because your diet sounds very strict but I thought you needed to eat breakfast
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 1:58:27 AM EDT
I think Breakfast is important. It keeps your body from going into starvation mode. How about a hard boiled egg on a english muffin for breakfast. I think exercise is very important. Whether its walking for a half hour a day trying to go farther and farther in that 30 minutes, or riding a bike. But as you start to exercise you fell better, you will want to start eating better and in turn the cycle takes off, you feel better so you exercise and you eat better.

But eat sensible there is no easy way out, your not going to beable to eat fast food and drink pop like you used to. Its going to be Subway salads and a bottle water.

illigb Good job on you life style change.

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:07:39 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DBerk:
Is it just a Myth that eating breakfast jump starts your metaoblism? Because your diet sounds very strict but I thought you needed to eat breakfast

Eating breakfast is very important. In fact if you have to skip a meal, skip supper.

Food is made up of carbs, protein and fats. If you have to eat carbs, eat them for breakfast. That way, you have all day to burn them off.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:22:41 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ToddB:
I need to lose a lot of weight. Ideally I want to lose 60 lbs. After I left the Army, I got married, had kids, etc... My weight gradually built to the point of over the top. I am doing a treadmill 6 days a week (20 minutes). I've lost 10 lbs so far but its not coming off easily.

Need some good tips. Also how bad is beer when trying to lose weight?
Thanks

Beer and weight loss just don't go together. Beer has alcohol AND carbs... and alcohol is metabolized much like carbs are.

Problem with carbs is, this is where the body gets its energy-- to walk, think, or work out. If you have a small amount of carbohydrate in your body, you will start to convert fat into energy. If you have a lot of carb in your body, it will burn the carb and leave the fat for another day.

I know this is greatly simplified but it is basically how things work. Working out builds body mass via muscle mass... and if you have big muscles, you burn more energy JUST SITTING STILL than your twin sibling with small muscles will burn. (That is the benefit of working out to lose weight!) But still, sitting still with lots of carbs in your body (i.e., drinking beer) burns the carbs, without converting fat into energy.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:31:48 AM EDT
I checked into a local hospital weight loss clinic and while I didn't sign up for their doctor supervised program I did start the diet that they perscribe to patients. It would have been almost a month to wait for an appointment so I started on my own. I started Medifast on January 1 and as of this morning's weigh in, I'm down 25 lbs. That's not a typo, 25 lbs. I talked to my doctor about safety issues and nutrition content and all that crap and he told me that it was far safer for me to start on a very low calorie diet that contains all the vitamins and stuff I need than to stay at over 300 lbs. It's not as boring as I thought it would be and to see that much weight lost in such a short period of time, I'm very motivated to keep going. I know that the losing will slow down over the next several weeks but in reading a few forums it appears that people on this, and other VLCD plans lose that much for the duration that they are on them. There will always be the pitfals of gaining it back but smokers and drinkers face the same battle every day. This is the year to get off my ass and get healthy.
Top Top