Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Rucking questions (Page 5 of 11)
Page / 11
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 7:59:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Tried to keep under 2 hours, my pace was dragging in the end -

Full disclosure I did drop down to 30 lbs (from my 40 on Sat), because I do need to work the rest of the week...

According to the app, during miles 2-5 my pace was 15:04 to 15:33, then starting after the 5th mile I got slower. There were some elevation changes but not too bad -

I've been using a cheap heartrate monitor when I remember to put it on before all of my layers - avg over the 2 hours was 147 BPM.
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 8:47:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bcauz3y] [#2]
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 8:54:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bcauz3y:

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but 30-35lbs at a 15 min/mile pace is an excellent standard to maintain. That weight/pace is such that you can do it forever without too much breakdown over many days.

If you want to go faster, fine, but heavier buys you not much from a "do war shit" capability perspective.
View Quote

This was with 40lbs.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/16/2023 9:52:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By MikeyCNY:
Tried to keep under 2 hours, my pace was dragging in the end -

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/453429/ruck-011623-2674717.jpg

Full disclosure I did drop down to 30 lbs (from my 40 on Sat), because I do need to work the rest of the week...

According to the app, during miles 2-5 my pace was 15:04 to 15:33, then starting after the 5th mile I got slower. There were some elevation changes but not too bad -

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/453429/ruck-analysis-011623-2674727.jpg

I've been using a cheap heartrate monitor when I remember to put it on before all of my layers - avg over the 2 hours was 147 BPM.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/16/2023 9:54:39 PM EDT
[#5]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Redbirdxx:

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but 30-35lbs at a 15 min/mile pace is an excellent standard to maintain. That weight/pace is such that you can do it forever without too much breakdown over many days.

If you want to go faster, fine, but heavier buys you not much from a "do war shit" capability perspective.

This was with 40lbs.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/461668/Screenshot_20221219_121000_Connect_jpg-2674800.JPG

Link Posted: 1/16/2023 9:54:58 PM EDT
[#6]
My back and neck are still not happy with me
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 11:36:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 11:47:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Redbirdxx] [#8]

I'm with you fam. I'm good for 45-50 for a 13 min pace, but I'm smoked after 6-8 miles. I can do 10, but I'm combat ineffective until a beer and some chow. 😎

View Quote

That was two loops on that particular trail. I felt good when I finished and had another loop in me, but I knew i would pay for it later. Plus my face was fucking freezing on the sections where I was walking into the wind.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 7:19:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Ordered a pair, for the price it's worth a gamble.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MikeyCNY:

Back in November I picked up a pair of their new Jedburgh Rucking boots and I REALLY like them - at the current sale price of $99 they are fantastic. I'll be getting a backup pair eventually. If it is really snowy and icy out I'm not sure how much I'd trust them (according to this review they handle it fine), I have some Columbia insulated winter boots that work well but aren't nearly as comfortable.

Ordered a pair, for the price it's worth a gamble.

@bcauz3y have you received these and tried them yet?

I found them not quite grippy on ice/slippery snow, and if the snow is deep enough might get cold but I still really like that. I may need to replace the laces or learn to tie a real rucking knot, they keep coming loose...
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 7:22:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Pro_Patria_431:
ALICE pack and jungle boots. Be hard.
View Quote

I don’t advise this. Back in the day we rucked ALICE and Panama sole but if going jungle route go ripple sole. I still recommend different ruck and different soles. Ranger school with old black leather boots sucks donkey dick
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 7:23:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Fugitive:
  Yeah, add sleep deprivation and a hangover and have at it.
View Quote

2/75 add vomit along the way
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 7:24:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By MFP_4073:
how old are you?  what kind of shape are you in?

point being -- if you're in your 40s - 50s coming off the couch don't hold yourself to an unrealistic standard

i don't do the goruck thing but would say this -- get a comfortable pack and put 20lbs in it.  see if you can walk 4 miles in 1 hour.  see how you feel --  adjust accordingly.

of course the age-old US Army standard of 12 miles in 3 hours carrying about 50lbs is one well-known standard.  but at my age that's not happening.
View Quote

Dry standard was 35 and 45 at 50+ you mean wet for regular infantry standard and Sapper course
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 7:28:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By ROCK6:

Don't be stupid. Get a something worthwhile with a good waistbelt and frame.
View Quote

90s was last time I remember seeing black jungles and Alice. 80s I had the green jungles at Ft Bragg {pictures are gone OG me wearing OG107s unless anyone knows Bob Hanson 307th Med Bn he’s got picks of me from Ft Benning}
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 7:30:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By alphajaguars:
Hit up an REI to get property fitted for hiking boots and a backpack.

Then go buy that stuff online from a company that doesn’t hate us.

I keep mine packed for actual camping, so food, water, shelter, warm clothes, batteries, toiletries, and several ways to start a fire. I add loaded mags to get the weight I want it to be.

For boots, I have Salomon’s and am currently breaking in a pair of Viktos.
View Quote

This guy recreated a 16th century rucksack and goes hiking in the Highlands
Resurrecting 300 Year Old Highland Warriors- "The Penicuik Drawings" Brought to Life
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 7:33:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By neostoicism:

I hiked a Philmont trip of 112 miles with an ALICE and jungles.  It’s really not that bad.
View Quote

Try concrete - those boots will suck ass after miles on pavement
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 7:35:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Chris_in_TX:
I rucked for a while with a  London Bridge Trading 3-day pack with 30-35 lbs of bricks in it.  I had a circuit of just under 5 miles that I could finish in about an hour before work.  I dropped 20 pounds and was in great shape.  Then I tore a meniscus and it totally blew my motivation to work out.  I'm going to get back at it when it warms up a bit.
View Quote

When not doing .mil training I used MREs instead of rocks or bricks
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 7:38:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 7:38:56 PM EDT
[#18]
It’s really a sad commentary on our society where people need to “work up” to a 10 mile walk.  Y’all, 10 miles isn’t far.  Any man under 70 should be able to do that on a moments notice.  I mean, my 8 year old hikes 10 miles no problem, even carrying his own water, snacks and essentials.
View Quote

85lb rucks will start becoming uncomfortable around mile 10-14 of 20-20+ LM even if you have 13 minute mile pace and no blisters. The Brits from 23 SAS that I trained with had 130 rucks when I was in the UK.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 7:40:44 PM EDT
[#19]

Trekking poles are awesome.  Never understood how great they are till I tried some.  Well worth the added weight.
View Quote

I’ve seen people in Scotland with them but never used any yet.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 7:43:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By daemon734:
Rucking should be the national sport.

It may become it soon enough.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/45449/20230113_070254_jpg-2670292.JPG
View Quote

They give you candy for doing it.

Link Posted: 2/6/2023 7:44:19 PM EDT
[#21]
ALICE pack and jungle boots. Be hard.
View Quote

Fuck yes
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 7:45:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By ExtraHardTaco:

Rucking: shitty gear designed to cause pain and misery.

Backpacking: opposite of the above.
View Quote

The 1970s Boy Scout backpacks sucked
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 7:47:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Blu3Ridge:
Build up to it, or else you will get shin splints, etc.  You need to harden up your bones, put the time in, or you'll hurt yourself.

20 years rucking with the military, on my 4th knee surgery, have a curved spine - ask me how I know.
View Quote

Have seen the Vietnam era retiree OGs turn out for flag day 87% of them had walking canes
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 7:51:05 PM EDT
[#24]

With all due respect, you have no clue what you're talking about.

You want "any" man to be fitter than the Army's SF qualification test.

Bullshit.

View Quote

35lbs was infantry standard when I was at B 1-184th inf bn and 45 lb ruck 8 mile was sapper course when I was with 235th Eng Co. At SFAS rucks were 55lbs then 85lbs+
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 7:51:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 7:57:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By CarmelBytheSea:

View All Quotes

I hiked a Philmont trip of 112 miles with an ALICE and jungles.  It’s really not that bad.

Been there done that. Not sucky, besides the 10 mile/10min pace I kept. Altama deserts are just tan jungles.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 7:58:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 7:58:39 PM EDT
[#28]

View All Quotes

Trekking poles are awesome.  Never understood how great they are till I tried some.  Well worth the added weight.

I hate them. I need to keep my hands free
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 8:00:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Attachment Attached File

6 miles. 50lb pack. I’m under 2 hours. I do this every 8 days.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 8:02:43 PM EDT
[#30]

sexy bitch
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 03RN:

Been there done that. Not sucky, besides the 10 mile/10min pace I kept. Altama deserts are just tan jungles.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/433221/IMG_20230124_081857_jpg-2701108.JPG

sexy bitch

I swung by the fish market to weigh my 35lbs ruck after getting rained on for 10 miles and was 50lbs.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 8:03:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 8:08:51 PM EDT
[#32]

Can you break down their test? I have a hard time believing thats harder than their qual.
View Quote
@03RN
85lbs towards the end of SFAS but recommended train up we were told to cut boot laces mid point burn ends and tie off as well as keep ruck weight at no more than 55lbs prior to attending selection - 19th SFG March 2002 but current train up it looks like 65lbs is advocated http://specialforcesrecruiter.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/SELECTED_EBOOK.pdf
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 8:14:12 PM EDT
[#33]

I assume you have done countless miles with much heavier weight using that equipment.

For OP, it will be serviceable albeit a little less comfortable than modern stuff. If he doesn't condition properly, a Kifaru or MR ruck won't help.

OP, get under a ruck and start putting miles on. Start with shorter distances and get whatever boots you decide on broken in. This will also get you feet and bones conditioned to carrying a load.

Get in the habit of changing your socks and examining your feet, apply foot powder when you do this. Pay attention to how you feet are interacting with your socks and boots so you can address problems before they become a problem. Use wool socks. Have some moleskin and a pair of scissors to cut it to address incipient blisters.

Some dudes would use a two sock system and apply antiperspirant to their feet. I never needed to do this. Others would apply tape to hotspots to avoid blisters. Again, I never needed to do this. YMMV.
View Quote

I remember panty hose and tape back in the day. I don’t recommend in 2022
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 8:14:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DarkLordVader] [#34]
Get the real gear and enjoy the terrain.  Much more rewarding than stomping through the city park with a box of rocks.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/6/2023 8:15:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By 11C1P:

Add a 50 pound ruck, A2, Kevlar & you're set for the EIB road march!
View Quote
There’s a new badge in town
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 8:22:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By JudahMac:

I would go to a good outdoor store and try on a lot of hiking boots.  I personally prefer non waterproofed as they let your feet breathe better, add in wool socks and your feet stay dry and that reduces blisters and hot spots.

My go to is an ankle height (not over the ankle) with good traction, that fits me well. All shoes and boots in the same size do not fit the same so you need to try on more than one brand and more than model between sizes.

Heel staying in place, not rubbing, enough room for your toes so they don't press into the front of the toe box when going downhill, no pressure points on top of the foot when you "stand on tip toe", minimal movement within the boot overall. You need to try on with the thickness of sock you'll be wearing.

These are the type I'd advise.

https://www.merrell.com/US/en/hiking-shoes-boots-apparel/?prefn1=genericSizeType&prefv1=M#prefn1=genericSizeType&prefv1=M&prefn2=itemStyle&prefv2=BOOTS&prefn3=technologyCollection&prefv3=NON-WATERPROOF

The best pair (for me) of rucking boots I've had are garmont t8 bifida boots. But if you're sticking to streets roads and well groomed trails that probably not the boot for you.
View Quote

That’s 6 inches then there’s the standard 8 inch boots
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 8:33:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CarmelBytheSea] [#37]

View Quote

At Ft Lewis I was 13:37 min mile pace and slow poke at the back of 2/75 SSG Rose had hemorrhoids and could still out Rick me but like you said injuries over time is a consideration.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 8:36:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 8:38:02 PM EDT
[#39]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/433221/IMG_20230124_081857_jpg-2701108.JPG
View Quote

More power to ya but another boot that sucks to put miles in was the Oakley LSA
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 8:42:16 PM EDT
[#40]

I hate them. I need to keep my hands free
View Quote

I never thought to ask the people - civilian hikers. Scotland has a lot of bicycling too. I always wanted to ride a motorcycle up in the highlands but never did. Now it’s a surfing spot. I never imagined checking the surf there back then but that water is COLD. Ireland is also another popular big wave surf destination and Wales is popular for hiking and motorcycles, there’s surf contests there but moderate sized waves glassy with decent shape sometimes.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 8:49:51 PM EDT
[#41]

For sure. I expect professional soldiers to outperform minutemen and militia. I could pace with you right now, but I'd need some recovery time.

The reason I was frustrated earlier was how the standard was being applied to "any man". I do think rucking should be part of any fitness plan for a civilian man, but I'm not ready to slap 50lbs on his back for 10 miles.
View Quote

No different than trying to convince people to do martial arts. There’s kids, laundry, bills, car washing, groceries, etc. requirimgbserious time management skills to squeeze in this kind of stuff. It’s not 1840 bear trapper days. People get burnt from shitty coworkers or supervisor / boss maybe a wife with bad conflict resolution skills or mental health issues, traffic rush hour road rage, boat needs to get repaired, car needs to be picked up from a shop, Mother in law birthday the wife drags the family to, just stress and time overwhelm a lot of people and this kind of stuff or just getting to the range becomes more challenging even though it’s good for you. There was a guy way better at martial arts than me then boom a few years later he got married and we never saw him train again!
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 9:26:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Me and my daughter are planning to do the Bataan Death March next month. This will be her first, I did it two years ago with no train up... Would not recommend but it is mainly a mental game above 15 miles.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 9:28:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 9:30:15 PM EDT
[#44]
@03RN
85lbs towards the end of SFAS but recommended train up we were told to cut boot laces mid point burn ends and tie off as well as keep ruck weight at no more than 55lbs prior to attending selection - 19th SFG March 2002 but current train up it looks like 65lbs is advocated http://specialforcesrecruiter.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/SELECTED_EBOOK.pdf
View All Quotes

Can you break down their test? I have a hard time believing thats harder than their qual.
@03RN

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 9:34:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 9:52:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Jinxsters:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/169355/3A35A5AD-13EB-442E-99A9-D6565108D38C_jpe-2701118.JPG

6 miles. 50lb pack. I’m under 2 hours. I do this every 8 days.
View Quote

What ruck is that?
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 9:53:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By DarkLordVader:
Get the real gear and enjoy the terrain.  Much more rewarding than stomping through the city park with a box of rocks.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/322769/terrain_sm_jpg-2701136.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/322769/terrain2_sm_jpg-2701139.JPG
View Quote

I need to get out that way
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 9:53:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 11:26:36 PM EDT
[#49]

What ruck is that?
View Quote

eberlestock g4

@alphajaguars
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 8:54:49 PM EDT
[#50]

eberlestock g4

@alphajaguars
View All Quotes

What ruck is that?

eberlestock g4

@alphajaguars

Thanks!

@Jinxsters
Page / 11
Rucking questions (Page 5 of 11)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top