Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Rucking questions (Page 2 of 11)
Page / 11
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 11:29:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Ideally a bag with a waist belt and sternum strap, but really you can use anything with two shoulder straps as you're getting started and at lower weight.

I like mystery ranch bags but there are a ton of options. I have a komodo dragon that is my daily work bag, and has been across the world with me.

Best recommendation is to stay lower on weight, you really don't need to be above 35-45 lbs dry for conditioning. Too many people get crazy with the weight and suffer the lower back, knee and foot consequences.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 11:36:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bcauz3y:

With all due respect, you have no clue what you're talking about.

You want "any" man to be fitter than the Army's SF qualification test.

Bullshit.

View Quote

I do believe that in SFAS ruck movements involve carrying generally 50 or more pounds in your ruck, not including the latest version of web gear and a rubber duck.

Over the course of the experience, you’ll be walking up to 12 miles or more per day with a final ruck of up to 32 miles. After having put well over 100 miles on your feet already.

In the Q, weights will increase up to 90 or more pounds for different exercises. Up to 130 with weapons and kit.

I believe 35 pounds is about what a 180 man can carry without overly stressing the body. Which is why it’s the Army standard. Not that it has ever been realistic in execution.

Link Posted: 1/12/2023 11:40:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pro_Patria_431] [#3]
Originally Posted By winddummy82:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Pro_Patria_431:
ALICE pack and jungle boots. Be hard.

I assume you have done countless miles with much heavier weight using that equipment.

For OP, it will be serviceable albeit a little less comfortable than modern stuff. If he doesn't condition properly, a Kifaru or MR ruck won't help.

OP, get under a ruck and start putting miles on. Start with shorter distances and get whatever boots you decide on broken in. This will also get you feet and bones conditioned to carrying a load.

Get in the habit of changing your socks and examining your feet, apply foot powder when you do this. Pay attention to how you feet are interacting with your socks and boots so you can address problems before they become a problem. Use wool socks. Have some moleskin and a pair of scissors to cut it to address incipient blisters.

Some dudes would use a two sock system and apply antiperspirant to their feet. I never needed to do this. Others would apply tape to hotspots to avoid blisters. Again, I never needed to do this. YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 11:40:46 PM EDT
[#4]
View Quote

Add a 50 pound ruck, A2, Kevlar & you're set for the EIB road march!
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 11:42:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 11:42:33 PM EDT
[#6]

Soft is one thing.

Training so hard it breaks your body down before you ever get a chance to be useful is another. You're over here advocating for knee replacements at 30 y/o.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By neostoicism:

It’s sad, and in my opinion it’s an existential crisis for our nation.  The general lack of fitness in males.  Soft suburban life and “inside” activities taking the place of sports and outdoor skills as leisure time activities.

We’re soft as a nation, and will eventually pay for it.

Soft is one thing.

Training so hard it breaks your body down before you ever get a chance to be useful is another. You're over here advocating for knee replacements at 30 y/o.

Walking 10 miles with a pack isn't hard. I'm not saying everyone can do it. Most people are soft little weaklings.

I've been backpacking since I was 8. Then Marine Corps infantry, and I still like backpacking. I'm 38 and still running 10 miles in armor pushing strollers and rucking with them.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 11:43:50 PM EDT
[#7]

Yessir, qualification is 50-60lbs. 8 miles.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 03RN:

Can you break down their test? I have a hard time believing thats harder than their qual.

Yessir, qualification is 50-60lbs. 8 miles.

I think that's harder than 30lbs for 10 miles. Especially since I bet they have a time they have to do it in.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 11:48:35 PM EDT
[#8]
It's really a sad commentary on our society where people need to "work up" to a 10 mile walk.  Y'all, 10 miles isn't far.  Any man under 70 should be able to do that on a moments notice.  I mean, my 8 year old hikes 10 miles no problem, even carrying his own water, snacks and essentials.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

talk to me after you've broke a lot of bones and arthritis sets in.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 11:50:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Soft is one thing.

View Quote

Where did I say train every time with that weight.  Anyone who has an inkling of how to train knows not to push max every time.

I played collegiate hockey, spent 15 years in bridge construction, hauling 70 lb panels (x2 one in each hand) out onto scaffolding on a regular basis.   I typically ruck with only 20-25 lbs in the pack, doing 35 lbs about once every 5 weeks and 45-50 lbs about once every two months.  I’m 45 years old and have no knee problems.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 11:50:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I have easily over 1500 miles on my GORuck GR0 with my 35lbs plate.

Buy once, cry once. Worth every penny.

Not sure if they stil do their Christmas in July sale, but that is where thr deals are. I saw some GORuck rucks in the EE here..
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 11:50:46 PM EDT
[#11]
My pack is currently 50lbs +/- and only going to get heavier.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/433221/IMG_20230110_112143_jpg-2669781.JPG

Boots right now are Danner RATs. I haven't needed winter boots yet this season either.
If I'm not carrying my daughter my favorite pack is Ospreys Atmos 65L for backpacking and rucking.
View Quote

Brother soak those days up like your sitting in the beach chair by the ocean. I remember doing the same thing after work everyday with my daughter she turned 18 last week.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 11:50:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Go Ruck for me.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 11:51:15 PM EDT
[#13]
I went cheap and got a condor $60 pack that is ok for what I paid.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 11:51:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 11:53:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 11:53:31 PM EDT
[#16]
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up_zps5c0357b9_GIF-103.gif

talk to me after you've broke a lot of bones and arthritis sets in.
View Quote

Football, hockey and dirt bikes.  I’ve broken about 30 bones.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 11:54:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 11:55:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 11:57:03 PM EDT
[#19]

I guess you could teach a thing or two to them silly Army boys.

View Quote

The military isn’t known for its great sports medicine programs.  It’s an area our fighting forces could legitimately improve greatly in.  It’s something I’ve often wondered - why can a poor junior college offer better fitness instruction and equipment than the world’s preeminent fighting forces?
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 11:58:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By beastman:
First investment should be merino wool socks.
View Quote

Disagree - boots and socks must be considered together
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 12:02:18 AM EDT
[#21]
What would I look for in a boot?

Not just brand names.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 12:03:05 AM EDT
[#22]

The military isn’t known for its great sports medicine programs.  It’s an area our fighting forces could legitimately improve greatly in.  It’s something I’ve often wondered - why can a poor junior college offer better fitness instruction and equipment than the world’s preeminent fighting forces?
View Quote

Because no matter what the dude who goes to the school knows, some crusty ass E8 who can't spell will tell him to shut up.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 12:04:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 12:05:10 AM EDT
[#24]

It's not, at least not in my experience.

My daughter and I did a go-ruck recently, and we covered 12 miles with 35 lbs packs.

I too have spent my entire life rucking and hiking, and I'm still in crazy good shape.

There's a line between 35 and 55 lbs (I'm 220 lbs) that is just brutal and also incredibly stupid. It will destroy your knees and back.

I can carry a 35 lbs ruck for 10 hours a day for a week and be okay. 50 lbs and I'll be worthless in a day.

I guess my whole point is that the whole "10 miles 55lbs pack" is a dumb standard of fitness and it's destructive.

View All Quotes

I think that's harder than 30lbs for 10 miles. Especially since I bet they have a time they have to do it in.

My daughter and I did a go-ruck recently, and we covered 12 miles with 35 lbs packs.

I too have spent my entire life rucking and hiking, and I'm still in crazy good shape.

There's a line between 35 and 55 lbs (I'm 220 lbs) that is just brutal and also incredibly stupid. It will destroy your knees and back.

I can carry a 35 lbs ruck for 10 hours a day for a week and be okay. 50 lbs and I'll be worthless in a day.

I guess my whole point is that the whole "10 miles 55lbs pack" is a dumb standard of fitness and it's destructive.

Honestly I thought we were talking about 35ish pounds.

But as a fitness standard I think that 55lbs is pretty good. I'm not talking every day but a monthly test shouldn't be destructive.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 12:05:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 12:07:16 AM EDT
[#26]

But as a fitness standard I think that 55lbs is pretty good. I'm not talking every day but a monthly test shouldn't be destructive.
View Quote

You get it, man.  

Don’t ruck with 55 lbs every day.  But a test several times a year?  Absolutely.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 12:08:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 03RN] [#27]

I <3 you.

We're currently rocking exo mtn packs if sustainment is required. They're expensive, but well worth.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/221816/image-2670081.jpg
View All Quotes
My pack is currently 50lbs +/- and only going to get heavier.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/433221/IMG_20230110_112143_jpg-2669781.JPG

Boots right now are Danner RATs. I haven't needed winter boots yet this season either.
If I'm not carrying my daughter my favorite pack is Ospreys Atmos 65L for backpacking and rucking.

I <3 you.

We're currently rocking exo mtn packs if sustainment is required. They're expensive, but well worth.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/221816/image-2670081.jpg

Those look nice.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 12:08:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 12:10:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Skg_Mre_Lght:
I still like Mystery Ranch packs, that's what my family uses to put on miles. Regardless of the brand, make sure they are a somewhat "fitted" pacly, not just general sizes.

Good boots are your next best friend. I really like Lowas and Crispis.

Another thing that I thought was stupid, but am a fun of now are trekking poles. These are a invaluable in steep terrain, and can double as shooting sticks.
View Quote

Trekking poles are awesome.  Never understood how great they are till I tried some.  Well worth the added weight.
View Quote

@neostoicism
@Skg_Mre_Lght

Any recommendations on trekking poles?
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 12:12:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By rcav8r:

Not just brand names.
View Quote

I would go to a good outdoor store and try on a lot of hiking boots.  I personally prefer non waterproofed as they let your feet breathe better, add in wool socks and your feet stay dry and that reduces blisters and hot spots.

My go to is an ankle height (not over the ankle) with good traction, that fits me well. All shoes and boots in the same size do not fit the same so you need to try on more than one brand and more than model between sizes.

Heel staying in place, not rubbing, enough room for your toes so they don't press into the front of the toe box when going downhill, no pressure points on top of the foot when you "stand on tip toe", minimal movement within the boot overall. You need to try on with the thickness of sock you'll be wearing.

These are the type I'd advise.

https://www.merrell.com/US/en/hiking-shoes-boots-apparel/?prefn1=genericSizeType&prefv1=M#prefn1=genericSizeType&prefv1=M&prefn2=itemStyle&prefv2=BOOTS&prefn3=technologyCollection&prefv3=NON-WATERPROOF

The best pair (for me) of rucking boots I've had are garmont t8 bifida boots. But if you're sticking to streets roads and well groomed trails that probably not the boot for you.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 12:13:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Bubbatheredneck:
A couple of cheap water bladders in your ruck is a good way to carry weight and if you start sucking wind, it is easy to lighten your load. .
View Quote

When I was helping a friend train for a special unit, we used a 5 gallon water jug in our Alice Packs. 5 gallons weighs 40 pounds. We kept it simple.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 12:17:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Anyone do the Nijmegen march when in Europe?  I always wanted to do it, but our unit "better" things to do, you know, like 1st aid training, NBC training, yadda yadda yadda.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 12:21:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By rcav8r:

Not just brand names.
View Quote

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/The-Martial-Art-of-Foot-Soldiering/5-1609811/

Link Posted: 1/13/2023 12:22:42 AM EDT
[#34]
View Quote

5 gallon water can on top too lol

OP Pack heavy shit high up
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 12:23:30 AM EDT
[#35]

View Quote

My experience probably isn't on par with yours, but what there is of it totally agree with this. A couple years ago some of us were getting a little nuts, regularly doing 55-60lbs plus armor and water. In retrospect, it was breaking us down instead of building us up.

Now if I want to push it I just up the pace and stick with 35-45 pounds.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 12:23:38 AM EDT
[#36]

71 and getting out there? Shit yeah. Gives me motivation
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 12:26:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By WildBoar:

View All Quotes

Or, just strap a pack to a pack.

Link Posted: 1/13/2023 12:32:13 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By ExtraHardTaco:

Rucking: shitty gear designed to cause pain and misery.

Backpacking: opposite of the above.
View Quote

Originally Posted By Protolith:

Rucking is like if you crossed Backpacking with Crossfit and then did obstacle courses (while carrying an artificially heavy pack) for funzies.
View Quote

10-4

I was wondering why people are talking about 45 pound packs when my 3 day pack is under 20 pounds.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 12:34:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Crye JPC with LVL4 plates, 3 full 40rd mags, 2 TQs, and a Skallywag DuClaw.

And now, a LVL3 helmet.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 12:37:09 AM EDT
[#40]

Maybe you're right man. Just seems crazy to me.

I can live for 4-5 days and cover 50 miles out of a pack that weighs less than 40. I just don't see the need.

View All Quotes

Maybe you're right man. Just seems crazy to me.

I can live for 4-5 days and cover 50 miles out of a pack that weighs less than 40. I just don't see the need.

Most people also don't see the need to run 10 miles or pick up 500lbs but i do it anyway
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 12:38:43 AM EDT
[#41]

View All Quotes

Seconded
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 12:41:21 AM EDT
[#42]

View All Quotes

Heavy dense shit centerline but not above your shoulders
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 12:46:11 AM EDT
[#43]

Heavy dense shit centerline but not above your shoulders
View Quote

This.  

Ropes don't get lashed to the pack, because that pushes the weight 6" further out from centerline.  Pack on, ropes tossed over between pack lid and the neck, and just deal with that.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 12:50:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: XJ] [#44]
Originally Posted By JustinU235:

10-4

I was wondering why people are talking about 45 pound packs when my 3 day pack is under 20 pounds.
View Quote

A moderate load on mundane terrain is worthwhile exercise which enables carrying a lighter load in more challenging locations.  Oh the horror of people improving themselves

Let's see your 20# purse fare at the elevation I am shitposting from
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 12:58:22 AM EDT
[#45]

10-4

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ExtraHardTaco:

Rucking: shitty gear designed to cause pain and misery.

Backpacking: opposite of the above.

Originally Posted By Protolith:

Rucking is like if you crossed Backpacking with Crossfit and then did obstacle courses (while carrying an artificially heavy pack) for funzies.

10-4

Truth be told, anything in a true backcountry boreal forest is, in of itself, an obstacle course.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 1:06:54 AM EDT
[#46]
Don't buy a Goruck. They are massively overbuilt trash bags that really only shine in Goruck events where you drag them on concrete and other dumb stuff. Ever heard of putting weight on your hips? Goruck hasn't. Builds character or something

I'd go to your local REI or similar store, try on a bunch of packs, and make realistic assessments of weight you may carry. Purchase accordingly.

Good brands you won't see in an REI include but not limited to Stone Glacier, Hyperlite Gear, and Hill People Gear.

Get some boots.

Go walk outside. Keep it flat and short at first. Then when you're good come out to CO and we'll go up some real hills
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 1:09:36 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By XJ:

A moderate load on mundane terrain is worthwhile exercise which enables carrying a lighter load in more challenging locations.  Oh the horror of people improving themselves

Let's see your 20# purse fare at the elevation I am shitposting from
View Quote

Yeah. Nah. I didn't say anything of the sort. And it would fare fine there.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 1:11:32 AM EDT
[#48]
It’s really a sad commentary on our society where people need to “work up” to a 10 mile walk.  Y’all, 10 miles isn’t far.  Any man under 70 should be able to do that on a moments notice.  I mean, my 8 year old hikes 10 miles no problem, even carrying his own water, snacks and essentials.
View Quote

I heard the really big elevation gains can be had in Ohio. Come on out and we'll see if you can go 10 with NO pack sometime. You'll be dragging in no time, pmags on me

Not that I disagree with your overall point on the physical state of American men, but still. Flat road march ain't the same as a hike over terrain.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 1:14:01 AM EDT
[#49]

Yeah. Nah. I didn't say anything of the sort. And it would fare fine there.
View Quote

20# isn't much for mid winter fun in the high country, that's for sure

Mid summer though yeah forget a 40#+ pack
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 1:16:14 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 11
Rucking questions (Page 2 of 11)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top