User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 10:34:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Slide forward on the seat so your hams don't interfere with the front edge, make sure your pelvis is not rotated posteriorly, and sit up tall. Also tough it out for about 10 days of hard rowing. This exercise taxes the posterior chain, you might be feeling soreness in muscles that haven't been used in anger. Seriously, I think the pads might cover for poor technique that could lead to injury.

The pad will raise you off the seat slightly, further compromising what is already a pretty poor deadlift/clean position. My ass is not extremely hard, I felt soreness for the first week and my sciatica doesn't like really long rows. But by focusing on technique and position I was able to row huge volumes in my first serious month on the machine.
View Quote

I'll start here first.

none of the shorter ones had any pain.

I set my seating position by moving back and forth without my feet strapped in, then when I feel its settled in one spot, I strap my feet down and start the program.

I try to focus staying on my sitbones to keep from slouching. cause if you move back you slouch over.

probably try just using a chamois for the longer rows for a bit and not mess with the seat.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 11:26:18 AM EDT
[#2]
When I first got my rower, I would get a small sore at the base of my tailbone with the OEM seat.  I switched it out within a couple of weeks.  I ended up going with an aftermarket EndureRow seat and started using rowing shorts.  This seat has holes cut out for your sit bones and kind of locks you in place.  I had also read to not use the padded cycling shorts because the padding is in the wrong places.  The rowing shorts are from JL and they are like compression shorts but have a layer of fabric right where you sit down.  I don’t have much of a butt but using those two things together has helped me.  The bad part is that both the seat and the shorts are kind of expensive.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 11:33:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
When I first got my rower, I would get a small sore at the base of my tailbone with the OEM seat.  I switched it out within a couple of weeks.  I ended up going with an aftermarket EndureRow seat and started using rowing shorts.  This seat has holes cut out for your sit bones and kind of locks you in place.  I had also read to not use the padded cycling shorts because the padding is in the wrong places.  The rowing shorts are from JL and they are like compression shorts but have a layer of fabric right where you sit down.  I don’t have much of a butt but using those two things together has helped me.  The bad part is that both the seat and the shorts are kind of expensive.
View Quote

Good info.

Glad I asked.ill try the shorts first.

Cost is what if is. I have 1100 tied up in the machine so what's $50 more to make it more comfortable, which makes it more likely I'll use it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 2:24:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 3:01:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

None here. I specifically paced my effort on this challenge to avoid overuse injuries. I found it actually improved my right shoulder which has some range of motion limitations, most likely from old injuries and poor position at the keyboard.

Hanging pinkies off the handles, rowing with a loose grip, pulling shoulder blades together and down are the standard cues.

A search turned up discussions on the C2 forums: https://www.c2forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=155394

View Quote

Thanks for the tips and the link!  I’ll give some of that a try next time I row.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 3:23:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 3:25:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 3:13:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Sorry if this is a derail.  Will avoid a bunch of unnecessary background info - other than I used to be active and am no longer, and it is killing me.  Diet that has kept me off meds for almost 20 years is not cutting it anymore, so my only 2 options is going back on meds I hated or getting in shape.  Given the cost (both $ and how they make me feel) of meds, I might as well try getting in shape first.  

So was just curious about the AR15 rowing group.  I understand that the "team" is probably the top 10 rowers.  Do completely out of shape and in less than good health members do anything to help out the groups total scores or do they just bring down the averages...  Just asking before I attempt to join and add dead weight for the foreseeable future.
---
FWIW, I pretty much know my wife will be getting a (water) rower.  I just don't know if the AR15 curse will strike and I will be getting a Concept 2 or not (the curse-get both, one for her and one for me)...    
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 3:51:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Sorry if this is a derail.  Will avoid a bunch of unnecessary background info - other than I used to be active and am no longer, and it is killing me.  Diet that has kept me off meds for almost 20 years is not cutting it anymore, so my only 2 options is going back on meds I hated or getting in shape.  Given the cost (both $ and how they make me feel) of meds, I might as well try getting in shape first.  

So was just curious about the AR15 rowing group.  I understand that the "team" is probably the top 10 rowers.  Do completely out of shape and in less than good health members do anything to help out the groups total scores or do they just bring down the averages...  Just asking before I attempt to join and add dead weight for the foreseeable future.
---
FWIW, I pretty much know my wife will be getting a (water) rower.  I just don't know if the AR15 curse will strike and I will be getting a Concept 2 or not (the curse-get both, one for her and one for me)...    
View Quote
It’s just a causal group that tracks numbers man. No real “competition” and if you sign up and do one meter that’s one meter more than we had before. Get after it!
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 4:19:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:  

View Quote

Join the group. . . You won’t be dead weight and will absolutely help the group totals.   I’m probably one of the slowest guys here but I’m just doing it for general fitness.  I have a little bit more titanium parts than I was born with. Lol.

I’m not trying to be edgy or anything but why the water rower?  C2 is the standard.  Parts (which very rarely need replacing) are cheap and you’ll be able to compare your performance amongst 10’s of thousands of people that own a C2. There is an online community and C2 customer support is outstanding.  They are bulletproof and are the gold standard for CrossFit gyms, rowing clubs and collegiate rowing teams.  I’m not hating but I guess I don’t understand the appeal of the water rower.  If you buy a C2 and don’t like it, the used market is very strong and you’ll hardly lose any money.

No worries, we’re all friends here. . . I’m almost embarrassed to post this but this is an example of some of the feedback you’ll get using Ergdata and the C2 online logbook:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/12/2022 5:32:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I can say i already feel a huge difference in my riding endurance after 2 weeks with the rower.

Just did a 20m fat bike ride in soft sand, lots of short steep climbs and honestly it didn't feel like this kind of ride used to. I would have guessed 13 miles.

Link Posted: 2/12/2022 5:38:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Join the group. . . You won’t be dead weight and will absolutely help the group totals.   I’m probably one of the slowest guys here but I’m just doing it for general fitness.  I have a little bit more titanium parts than I was born with. Lol.

I’m not trying to be edgy or anything but why the water rower?  C2 is the standard.  Parts (which very rarely need replacing) are cheap and you’ll be able to compare your performance amongst 10’s of thousands of people that own a C2. There is an online community and C2 customer support is outstanding.  They are bulletproof and are the gold standard for CrossFit gyms, rowing clubs and collegiate rowing teams.  I’m not hating but I guess I don’t understand the appeal of the water rower.  If you buy a C2 and don’t like it, the used market is very strong and you’ll hardly lose any money.

No worries, we’re all friends here. . . I’m almost embarrassed to post this but this is an example of some of the feedback you’ll get using Ergdata and the C2 online logbook:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/309803/BF702DB1-20B1-435E-9C4D-89A9E1681042_jpe-2276917.JPG
View Quote

You times are nearly identical to mine. My average 500m is also 2.20.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 7:11:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Why the water rower-wife want it.  She enjoyed working on that specific machine when she had access to it in a woman's gym with a personal trainer.  The trainer is getting rid of it at a very reasonable price-virtually immaterial.  I don't have a huge problem with getting both as I am currently enjoying working out in my barn gym anyway.

For years, my main exercise was kayaking (about 10hrs a week, maybe more, between competition, training, and recreational kayaking).  I am sure I will get more time on the water eventually-but have a long road to get into the physical shape to paddle a kayak again.  Right now it is simply to painful to paddle more than a couple minutes - and given it takes about 1hr to get to and from the water (closer to 2 if I count loading and unloading, loading and unloading - its really hard to get motivated for such a short paddle).  If I can get back into shape to do 1/2 day paddles, then I will find more time to do them.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 7:48:38 PM EDT
[#14]
I installed my C2 today. Bad idea was immediately having my 8 year old, wife, and me row for 500. I about had a cardiac arrest at 2:06. I’ll figure out how to join the group next.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 9:15:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, wife is out of town for the weekend at a riding competition.  I tend to respond with spiteful gratuitous shopping... HRM and Concept 2 are ordered...  
---
Ordered Saturday, here Wednesday - very impressive shipping.  I got it unboxed, but I have to do work to my workout area to actually set it up and use it.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 9:23:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 9:25:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 10:33:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Oh the encouraging chants from Cola Warrior - "Stop Being Fat", and the all so much fun "Can you run any slower?"  And the famous "miss faster".  
---
downloaded the app, but am waiting for the rower to come in to join the group.
---
Got bored, so signed up on ergdata an joined the group.
---
I am really curious how hard miles are with a rower compared to a touring kayak.  I remember when 10 miles was a warm up, and 30 miles days (bay water) were not difficult (did 100 miles over 3 days in a gale once-was not hard, we could have done it in 2 if we actually tried.  Right now I can barely do 5 miles.  I really want to get back into shape enough to do a canoe ultra (the one I want to do is about 260 miles and has a 100hr time limit-sleep depredation and hallucination is the final obstacle).  Anyway, my old 100 mile rate, take away fighting a gale, add in stream flow-was easily in what was necessary to do the ultra.  Hell last year I even purchased riverfront on the route to make training easier.  If I get my ass in gear, I still need to find a reasonably priced toad so I can practice down river runs.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 1:17:18 PM EDT
[#19]
So what do we do with our new rowers and C2 logbooks? Is there a way to also send this data to the Garmin group and anything special for the C2 Arfcom group (I joined the “ARFCOM Ergers”).
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 4:49:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
So what do we do with our new rowers and C2 logbooks? Is there a way to also send this data to the Garmin group and anything special for the C2 Arfcom group (I joined the “ARFCOM Ergers”).
View Quote

@Riflenoob I'm not sure about the Garmin group, your data will auto-upload to ARFCOM group.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 4:56:02 PM EDT
[#21]
I completely missed the military challenge. Guess I'm still a shitbag

Individual Challenge: Mud Season Madness March 1-31
Click To View Spoiler

Team Challenge: World Erg Challenge March 15 - April 15 I think we can still participate as a "Team", not a "Club", just can't win anything. Ah well.
Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 12:04:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Is what you are saying we are becoming a virtual team?
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 4:37:31 PM EDT
[#23]
I think the issue is they have physical rewards for physical "clubs" (they might give away a free rower or 2).  Since we are virtual, we don't apply-but might be able to get virtual participation rewards.
---
Well, managed to get the last part of the barn gym floor down yesterday.  Could not get everything to connect though (I could get the hrm to connect or ergdata to connect-just not both at the same time).  Today, somehow everything connected so I managed to record heart rate data.  Now I have proof just how dismally out of shape I am.

So technically will be online for the virtual team challenge-but doubt I will be logging in more than a couple km a week.
---
Well, 3 days in a row now.  Will see what the weekend holds.  My numbers are not all that bad - if I was a 90 year old beginner.  What makes it all the better is how they get worse each day.  In all honesty, today's numbers were more terrible because I actually tried to stay within my target heart rate.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 11:51:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I think the issue is they have physical rewards for physical "clubs" (they might give away a free rower or 2).  Since we are virtual, we don't apply-but might be able to get virtual participation rewards.
---
Well, managed to get the last part of the barn gym floor down yesterday.  Could not get everything to connect though (I could get the hrm to connect or ergdata to connect-just not both at the same time).  Today, somehow everything connected so I managed to record heart rate data.  Now I have proof just how dismally out of shape I am.

So technically will be online for the virtual team challenge-but doubt I will be logging in more than a couple km a week.
---
Well, 3 days in a row now.  Will see what the weekend holds.  My numbers are not all that bad - if I was a 90 year old beginner.  What makes it all the better is how they get worse each day.  In all honesty, today's numbers were more terrible because I actually tried to stay within my target heart rate.
View Quote

I have a TCKR HRM and I connect it using the ANT option. And the erg data just connects nearly immediately to the PM5.  Meanwhile I have an IPad playing whatever workout video connected to blue tooth headphones.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 10:10:32 AM EDT
[#25]
I bought myself a Coros Apex Pro watch for Christmas.  It has a function on it for indoor rower.  I can't for the life of me get it to connect to my rower.  
I can get my Garmin HR chest strap to connect to my C2, and ergdata to connect to my rower, but not my watch.  
I guess I need to call Concept and ask what I'm not doing right.
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 6:48:42 PM EDT
[#26]
My C2 just got delivered. Now what? New to the rower game. I got a HR monitor and the app installed. Just get on and start stroking?
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 7:03:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Was practicing slowing down the recovery for longer/ stronger drives and playing around with the damper.

found if I'm around 17S/M, I significantly reduce the number of strokes it takes for a set distance, and also get a higher wattage, and drop the time taken. found my optimum damper setting seems to be right about 6.

at 22 S/M 10,000 is around 50 min, at 17 s/m its around 47min.
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 8:39:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 8:43:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 2:13:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Just joined the team after creating a log book account. I probably won't add a ton of meters but I'll chip in some. I usually row a 2k as a warmup for lifting or other training.

I'm focused on training for my first triathlon at the moment but may put some more focus on the rower. I'd like to see if I can row a sub 6:30, my pr from a couple years ago is a 6:49 but I'm usually in the 7-7:10 range for my warmup.
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 8:46:23 PM EDT
[#31]
I just moved and tried to setup my old Concept Rower 2 Model C and it obviously needed some maintenance.  Put a new shock cord on but there is a chain slap noise that doesn’t sound familiar.  This has all original stuff on it but hadn’t been used in years. Seems cheap enough to put some new parts in (besides bungee).  I’ll lube the chain and see if there’s much change.

Otherwise at this point does it seem a good idea to get a new chain , sprocket and idler pulley?  Any other tips?

ETA ordered axle, chain and pulley.  I could see the chain hop on the last few inches of chain ….mostly smooth the rest of the pull and return.  Put batteries in monitor and it works…lucky I pulled the old out at some point.

Link Posted: 6/22/2022 11:37:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Got back on.tonight since early may.

The dry air from total lack of rain for several months absolutely wrecked me. There was no hydrating for even 5k, as 2k in it was so dry and hard to breath it went from a work out to torture. Having to stop and take a drink ofwater every few min isnt ideal. The last one i tried to power through was waaaay off pace with my heart rate at 190.

So i gave it a break till rains returned. Now with nice moisture in the air its fun again and not torture.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 9:07:21 AM EDT
[#33]
I’m shit at all cardio, but definitely a swamp dweller. My first exposure to dry air was boot camp in IL. That sucked.

My 1.5 mile improved by nearly 45 seconds just by leaving that place

I’ve just been using the rower for a quick 2k here and there. I think the challenge this month is “pride” related but probably some good rah-rah 4th of July stuff coming up.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top