Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 12:06:29 PM EDT
[#1]
In three months or so, I’ve managed to go from the empty bar to 255 on squats for 5x5... took all of last week off and didn’t do them from Saturday to Saturday, and boy was that a mistake.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 12:08:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In three months or so, I’ve managed to go from the empty bar to 255 on squats for 5x5... took all of last week off and didn’t do them from Saturday to Saturday, and boy was that a mistake.
View Quote

You got DOMS from taking a week off?

I'm guessing that starting with the empty bar left you under trained for quite awhile if that's the case.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 12:15:47 PM EDT
[#3]
You should be doing legs at least twice a week if not more.  Deads and squats same day is no problem as long as you vary intensity between the two.  Right now I'm benching average 4x a week, squatting 2
3.5x, and deadlifting 2.5x for hypertrophy.  I'll cut that in half in about a month for strength.

You shouldn't be trying to kill yourself every session either.  Leave something in the tank every exercise.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 12:21:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You should be doing legs at least twice a week if not more.  Deads and squats same day is no problem as long as you vary intensity between the two.  Right now I'm benching average 4x a week, squatting 2
3.5x, and deadlifting 2.5x for hypertrophy.  I'll cut that in half in about a month for strength.

You shouldn't be trying to kill yourself every session either.  Leave something in the tank every exercise.
View Quote

I'm going back to once a week starting this week. I started a new 531 spreadsheet.

Total sets and reps is actually higher compared to a 3x week full body though, squats were getting hit 2x every other week, 1x on in between weeks.

If you check out the forums, a lot of very strong people have gotten strong from anywhere between 1-6x a week frequency, each person needs to find that sweet spot between MEV and MRV that is best for them.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 7:16:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I'm guessing that starting with the empty bar left you under trained for quite awhile if that's the case.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've pretty much always had quad/ham doms if I took a week off then hit it hard. I try real hard to at least get body weight squats and stretching in during the times that life gets in the way.

Not much of an issue with the other lifts though.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 8:12:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I've pretty much always had quad/ham doms if I took a week off then hit it hard. I try real hard to at least get body weight squats and stretching in during the times that life gets in the way.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Weird, everyone has different biology and life stresses though.

Honestly I end up getting more sore from work than lifting most of the time.

Last summer we did 300 feet of tile in a cow barn, I was in like a sumo squat position for hours side stepping my way through it. My quads and hip flexors were on fire the next day.

3 sets of 5 squats a few days later felt fine by comparison.

I think work kind of keeps me minimally trained when my lifting lapses.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 6:18:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Last summer we did 300 feet of tile in a cow barn, I was in like a sumo squat position for hours side stepping my way through it. My quads and hip flexors were on fire the next day.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hadn't thought about that, when I was working construction in the 00s DOMS wasn't much of an issue. I've been in management for the last decade with limited physical labor at work. Small farm and rural living keeps me from being a slouch bit thats not a daily grind.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 10:47:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

I work "legs" every session, taking a week off not only results in some minor DOMS but a >10% detraining effect.  Two weeks?  Shit, it's like I never touched a barbell before.

Before weightlifting, did the standard 5/3/1 and fucking hated it.  A week in between squats and deadlifts would leave me sore every time.  But switching to the BBB template leveled out the frequency.

Link Posted: 4/23/2021 11:21:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I work "legs" every session, taking a week off not only results in some minor DOMS but a >10% detraining effect.  Two weeks?  Shit, it's like I never touched a barbell before.

Before weightlifting, did the standard 5/3/1 and fucking hated it.  A week in between squats and deadlifts would leave me sore every time.  But switching to the BBB template leveled out the frequency.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Last time I did 531 I did the BBB template with the days switched, looked good but my strength didn't really move, you could see my AMRAP sets dwindling as the cycles went on.

This time I'm gong to give it a 5 cycle try again, but two cycles of BBB, then two cycles of FSL, then one cycle of bodyweight assistance.

If I feel it did anything for me I'll drop back 3 steps like he recommends and start another 5 cycle loop. If I don't think it did much, I'll go back to 3x week full body, or try out supersquats again or something.

Squatting twice a week doesn't seem to bother me, but on 2x deadlift weeks I get my ass kicked, I don't eat enough I think, and I know I don't sleep enough.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 3:13:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Are you really young or are you trying to get injured so you have a good excuse to take another break?
View Quote

Lol
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 3:23:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Try swimming for a few months before hitting the weights.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 3:29:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

That sounds like a terrible way to get strong.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 3:51:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Swam for years competitively.   Not sure if it would transfer to my fitness goals.  

Good cardio, but if you really know how to swim.   It won't do much for strength gain.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 9:58:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

That's how I was when I painted houses too. We'd do 5-10 of them a week (never less than 1500 square feet), inside and out, and probably 30-40% of them were 2-story homes. It was a real motherfucker, so 5x5 was easy

Quoted:

May have been, I don't know. I'm constantly "slightly sore" now if I sit too long/often at work, and I usually feel best right after leaving the gym. Today was more squats (265 5x5), overhead press (125 5x5), and deads (310 1x5). Kind of surprised that bench press was the last lift out of the ones the program includes that I fucked up on, given my GSW to the elbow always made it super difficult for me. I just could not get 175 up the other day (5, 3, 5, 1, didn't even attempt set #5) to save my fucking life, even with my arm brace. Might have been poor sleep and no breakfast before gym though.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 4:51:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Reverse hyper machine and inversion therapy has allowed me to squat heavy twice a week. I do it before and after my squat sets.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 11:34:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Reverse hyper machine and inversion therapy has allowed me to squat heavy twice a week. I do it before and after my squat sets.
View Quote

If you're doing the inversion for spinal compression...at a certain point, it's just not healthy (IMHO) to keep putting more and more weight at the top of your spine.   I found a gym 5 minutes from me with a pit shark... game changer.  You can load the HELL out of your legs, and not feel the compression all along the entire length of your spine after exercising.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 4:11:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

If you're doing the inversion for spinal compression...at a certain point, it's just not healthy (IMHO) to keep putting more and more weight at the top of your spine.   I found a gym 5 minutes from me with a pit shark... game changer.  You can load the HELL out of your legs, and not feel the compression all along the entire length of your spine after exercising.
View Quote

By inversion therapy, I basically end squat days by strapping on inversion boots, and hanging for 1-2 minutes, and getting some ab work done. It's really helped my recovery from squat days, and eliminated the pain I was experiencing post squat day.

I actually tried to buy a titan fitness belt squat machine twice. First time they refunded me telling me it got lost in delivery. Second time they delayed shipping date twice, I eventually asked for a refund, and got a functional trainer for the space I set aside.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top