Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 11:54:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I’m in for 1,000 miles. Low goal...work is insane this year, and I’m building a house. Also, two little kids. I hardly have time but need to make it a priority.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 1:50:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Most of my recent and upcoming purchases are leaning more toward Gravel.  I have a kid in college and 2 more in high school so nothing fancy.  Recently bought a Cannondale Slate 105. Put a 11-34 cassette and a ultegra rx derailleur to climb on gravel better. It came with 650x42 slicks but Im putting tubeless Maxxis ramblers on to help with the dirt/mud. Im putting more money/training into flat repair because this gravel is no joke.  As a roadie I used to turn my nose up at gravel. Now Im not sure if I like the racing more or the glorious parties aftewards. First race is 85 mi on feb1 with the Landrun100 6 weeks later with some road and mtb sprinkled in. Im 54yo so a respectable finish against guys half my age puts a grin on my face for weeks. My FTP is 250-270 but i still weigh 175..if i can get under 160 and keep my power up I like my chances a whole lot better. Either way im excited as hell. Wish i had started 30 years ago
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This last month I have been doing some spending for 2020 racing:

2 new bib shorts (black so I can wear them with my team kits)
New DT Swiss 460 rear rim (wheel needs to be rebuilt...People keep killing my rear wheel at the Driveway race)
New Garmin 530 to replace my 520 Plus.  (battery on my 520 plus could not last more than 3 hours with all the items connected to it)  The 530 is a huge difference I really recommend it.
New covers for the 530 (protect it from wrecks)
New front headlight/camera system (Cycliq 12)
New chain for my BMC that will need replacing in a month or so
Two new vests for colder riding
New shoes toe covers to keep feet warm
More chain lube...always need that....
Replacement seat post clamp for the BMC it has a design defect so the seat post only lasts for about 6 months so I have to replace it with a only BMC made $45 dollar seat post.  Love the bike but this part I hate.  The seat post clamp has a torque spec of 3NM....so low.
Tons of socks, gloves in the team colors (orange, purple, blue, pink, black)
Aero TT helmet, used for 2020 TT's

Other things on my list:
Tires and tubes (may move to tubeless for one set of wheels I have)  GP4k and 5k with maybe one more set of 4 seasons for winter riding.
Maybe some clip-on aero bars for my TT's.  I have a set, but I need to see if they fit the bike or me...I hate using clip-on bars, but for TTs it is how you go fast.
More chains...during the season I get about 3 months of use out of one.
More carbon brake pads....I eat up a set every 2-3 months when I start using my carbon fiber rims again.
More water bottles...
Maybe new helmet....but I am just not ready to spend $200 on one yet.  My current one is about a year old without any major hits....but for racing you are lucky to keep a helmet usable for over one year.  The wear and tear on it just kills it.

And building up side money for racing entries and lodging.  The good thing is my February race we got free lodging for the whole team which is nice since the entry was $100 for the 3 races (TT, road race then crit)

Now I just need to recover today from last nights drinking and go put some miles on Zwift....

2019 looks like I was just under 7900 miles for the year and spent about 413 hours on the bike....or 17 days.  2020 I am going to 10k miles, and a few more podium spots in some races..... we will see.
Most of my recent and upcoming purchases are leaning more toward Gravel.  I have a kid in college and 2 more in high school so nothing fancy.  Recently bought a Cannondale Slate 105. Put a 11-34 cassette and a ultegra rx derailleur to climb on gravel better. It came with 650x42 slicks but Im putting tubeless Maxxis ramblers on to help with the dirt/mud. Im putting more money/training into flat repair because this gravel is no joke.  As a roadie I used to turn my nose up at gravel. Now Im not sure if I like the racing more or the glorious parties aftewards. First race is 85 mi on feb1 with the Landrun100 6 weeks later with some road and mtb sprinkled in. Im 54yo so a respectable finish against guys half my age puts a grin on my face for weeks. My FTP is 250-270 but i still weigh 175..if i can get under 160 and keep my power up I like my chances a whole lot better. Either way im excited as hell. Wish i had started 30 years ago
Was funny yesterday morning I was too hung over from the 31st to do a early ride so I road my trainer in the afternoon....at first I was just going to spin, but nope I figure do Alp de Zwift....which is 22 switchbacks average about 9% climbing for about 9 miles (which adds up to about 3600 feet).  It also kinda makes it a FTP test and I am at about 289 for early season which is good.  I think I can get it to 300 in the next two months.  I am right now 185lbs but need to get to 175lbs.  Last year this time I was 210lbs with a FTP of 260.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 8:41:23 PM EDT
[#3]
@EnduroBro - you can connect your Garmin and Strava accounts so all your uploads to Garmin get synced automatically to Strava.

We have 8 members on the Strava club.   If you haven't signed up for Strava - give it a try - some find it motivational!

Ride safe, guys.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 3:47:29 PM EDT
[#4]
30.72/30.72
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 6:49:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Was funny yesterday morning I was too hung over from the 31st to do a early ride so I road my trainer in the afternoon....at first I was just going to spin, but nope I figure do Alp de Zwift....which is 22 switchbacks average about 9% climbing for about 9 miles (which adds up to about 3600 feet).  It also kinda makes it a FTP test and I am at about 289 for early season which is good.  I think I can get it to 300 in the next two months.  I am right now 185lbs but need to get to 175lbs.  Last year this time I was 210lbs with a FTP of 260.
View Quote
Alp du zwift takes me for what feels like forever on the trainer. I did a quick 10 mile ride early this afternoon on zwift.  Need to start getting back into the swing of things.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 6:58:35 PM EDT
[#6]
20.38/20.38
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 7:06:04 PM EDT
[#7]
11.81/58.10

Trying to get my gravel bike sorted out for as race in February..It feels slower than snot compared to an aero road bike. I really need to get this thing fitted..those 2 dogs almost caught me
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 7:44:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Knocked out 63 miles with my team riding a race course will will be doing in two weeks.  We did some paceline and race tactics attacks so tons of red zone work.  However now I have to head to St Louis for a few days without the bike.... Then next Friday, Saturday and Sunday is Spring training camp.  Should hit 50/100/50 miles next weekend.  Then next up is the first race of the season...a "short" 32 mile road race.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 9:15:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Been on the trainer a couple of times since the new year started, and finally got to ride outside yesterday.

It was pathetic. I am seriously out of shape.

Put in 20 miles on the road bike, on one of my regular routes. Average speed was down 2 mph, and my legs were toast at mile 18. When I got home, STRAVA calculated my FTP was down from an already sad, 218 to 167. It's normally around 300 or so. I haven't been on a bike since Sept 28th, and haven't been on my road bike since last July.

We're gonna do some Fondo's in April, so I'm extra motivated to get back in shape.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 9:32:36 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm aiming for 10 miles a day, as of yesterday(11/66) I biked 66 miles this year so far.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 1:36:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Been on the trainer a couple of times since the new year started, and finally got to ride outside yesterday.

It was pathetic. I am seriously out of shape.

Put in 20 miles on the road bike, on one of my regular routes. Average speed was down 2 mph, and my legs were toast at mile 18. When I got home, STRAVA calculated my FTP was down from an already sad, 218 to 167. It's normally around 300 or so. I haven't been on a bike since Sept 28th, and haven't been on my road bike since last July.

We're gonna do some Fondo's in April, so I'm extra motivated to get back in shape.
View Quote
That is a huge FTP drop in 6 months.....be careful with that.  When I start back up I have to remind myself not to push like the summertime racing.
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 9:06:55 AM EDT
[#12]
12 miles on zwift today/22 miles for the year.  Ordered a jacket and some shoe covers in preparation for some outdoor riding when the weather looks better in PA.

Any recommendations on cycling pants?  Bonus points for anything that can be purchased off of Amazon (have gift cards).
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 9:10:17 AM EDT
[#13]
10/81 as of yesterday, I should be over 300 by the end of the month.

Quoted:
Any recommendations on cycling pants?  Bonus points for anything that can be purchased off of Amazon (have gift cards).
View Quote
I just wear cargo shorts
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 10:11:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
12 miles on zwift today/22 miles for the year.  Ordered a jacket and some shoe covers in preparation for some outdoor riding when the weather looks better in PA.

View Quote
Tights are the best to wear so that nothing gets caught up in the drive train.  I normally wear my bib shorts under then tights over.  Any normal running tights IMHO work just fine.  Bicycling made tights are nice if you really need major front wind/rain protection.  Also one of my favorite cheap but very effective toe warmer trick....put your toes in a sandwich baggy then put your shoes one.  Just the small amount keeps the wind off the front of your feet and still have the back side of your feet to cool when it warms up.  I have tons of shoe/feet covers but many times I just use my cheap baggy since it is out of the way when "installed" hahhaa
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 1:59:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Tights are the best to wear so that nothing gets caught up in the drive train.  I normally wear my bib shorts under then tights over.  Any normal running tights IMHO work just fine.  Bicycling made tights are nice if you really need major front wind/rain protection.  Also one of my favorite cheap but very effective toe warmer trick....put your toes in a sandwich baggy then put your shoes one.  Just the small amount keeps the wind off the front of your feet and still have the back side of your feet to cool when it warms up.  I have tons of shoe/feet covers but many times I just use my cheap baggy since it is out of the way when "installed" hahhaa
View Quote
thanks for the recommendation.  I'll start looking for some running tights.
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 10:58:10 PM EDT
[#16]
10/91
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 11:07:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
That is a huge FTP drop in 6 months.....be careful with that.  When I start back up I have to remind myself not to push like the summertime racing.
View Quote
I'll ease back in to it. I've done this before, and my FTP always come back to where it's supposed to be. A few rides on the single speed MTB, and I'll have my legs back!!
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 5:54:04 PM EDT
[#18]
21.6/101
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 9:06:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
30.72/30.72
View Quote
2.0/32.72

Rode a little trail with my oldest.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 12:55:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Skipped biking yesterday, doctor put me on amlodipine and man this stuff makes me feel so drowsy.

20.1/101.1
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 7:14:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Skipped biking yesterday, doctor put me on amlodipine and man this stuff makes me feel so drowsy.

20.1/101.1
View Quote
I've been on that for years..I got used to it .
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 7:04:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Been riding every day since thanksgiving. Did my ftp test then and took it again today. Picked up almost 60 points, it’s still low but I’m pretty happy with the gain.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 8:10:03 PM EDT
[#23]
30 miles in the woods today, 123 for the year

I only rode 500 miles in the last 6 months of last year and riding was just painful over the holidays.  Rode an 8.5 mi loop clockwise and then counterclockwise yesterday in hr zone 2 & 3...felt really strong and beat my best total time from a couple years ago.  Big, pleasant surprise.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:03:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Finished training camp today...I am beat.

Friday was 49 miles with 2700ft of climbing....started warm but we finished with rain and hail on us.
Saturday was the big day 108 miles withe 6300 feet of climbing.  Only one issues one of my teammates crashed on a descent....important tip don't feed on the downhill.
Sunday was "easier" 47 miles with 3000 feet of climbing...but by this ride not much left in the legs.

Now at home looking forward to a rest day Monday, then back to miles and the first race of the season Saturday of a "short" 33 miles.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:04:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Oh btw a teammate showed me a cool free plugin with strava.  intervals.icu   just link it to your strava account and you can see all sort of goodness.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:12:14 PM EDT
[#26]
20.4/121.5
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 1:48:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Friday was 49 miles with 2700ft of climbing....started warm but we finished with rain and hail on us.
Saturday was the big day 108 miles withe 6300 feet of climbing.  Only one issues one of my teammates crashed on a descent....important tip don't feed on the downhill.
Sunday was "easier" 47 miles with 3000 feet of climbing...but by this ride not much left in the legs.

Now at home looking forward to a rest day Monday, then back to miles and the first race of the season Saturday of a "short" 33 miles.
View Quote
What type of racing do you guys specialize in? RR? Crit?
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 7:59:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well our team is large so we have a mix.  Winter we have some doing cyclecross, we have people doing gravel in the spring some. The rest are road, crit and TT.

I am a road racing guy, however here is TX all the road races are mostly in the Spring before the heat of summer.  Here in Austin we have an awesome weekly circuit race (kinda crit like) called the Driveway which I do.  We race that every Thursday from Time change to time change.  It is a good "C" race to try out some crit ideas.  As for crits there are a couple that are mixed with Omni racing (I am doing Crockett next month with is ITT, Road then Crit).  I am also starting to work up some ITT/TTT training and equipment but only used stuff since I don't do it that much.  Texas has good racing due to nice weather early season....then the summer heat which makes some races really hard (but I love the heat).

So far my race schedule looks like:

Next Saturday Tommy Ketterhagen Road race
February will be Cockett Omni Racing, Pace Bend RR, Lago Vista RR (so three weekends of racing every day)
March will start DriveWay maybe I will do Corsicana Stage race, BS Road Race
After that we have Houston Crit in May and State Road in Sept.  Right now races are still in schedule mode so we can't really plan out more that a couple months.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 2:48:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Well our team is large so we have a mix.  Winter we have some doing cyclecross, we have people doing gravel in the spring some. The rest are road, crit and TT.

I am a road racing guy, however here is TX all the road races are mostly in the Spring before the heat of summer.  Here in Austin we have an awesome weekly circuit race (kinda crit like) called the Driveway which I do.  We race that every Thursday from Time change to time change.  It is a good "C" race to try out some crit ideas.  As for crits there are a couple that are mixed with Omni racing (I am doing Crockett next month with is ITT, Road then Crit).  I am also starting to work up some ITT/TTT training and equipment but only used stuff since I don't do it that much.  Texas has good racing due to nice weather early season....then the summer heat which makes some races really hard (but I love the heat).

So far my race schedule looks like:

Next Saturday Tommy Ketterhagen Road race
February will be Cockett Omni Racing, Pace Bend RR, Lago Vista RR (so three weekends of racing every day)
March will start DriveWay maybe I will do Corsicana Stage race, BS Road Race
After that we have Houston Crit in May and State Road in Sept.  Right now races are still in schedule mode so we can't really plan out more that a couple months.
View Quote
Most of our guys are mountain bike and gravel. We do a lot of road group road rides but our guys are middle aged mountain bikers for the most part (I'm 54).  A few of our guys compete in Road races and I'm the only one that does crits.  Currently I'm registered for The Oklahoma Gravel Growler on Feb 1 and the Land Run 100 (now the mid south 100) in Mid March. I did Tulsa Tough last year and I'm going back for the Sunday (crybaby Hill) race. Two of my teammates own a brewpub so there's always a keg at the finish line Sometimes we start/finish the group rides from the pub. Locally we have the Wheeler Crit series every Tuesday night from downtown OKC from Spring to fall.  We also have the Tour De Dirt series which is all Mountain Bike.  plenty of Road races, crits and the occasional time trial.  I was a little tipsy on New Years eve so I signed up for the Hotter than Hell. Yeah, I know its corny but I've never done it.  All I want this year is to be 4 watts per Kilo.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 3:36:16 PM EDT
[#30]
17.1/144
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 7:39:39 PM EDT
[#31]
25.4/156.9
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 9:18:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

2.0/32.72

Rode a little trail with my oldest.
View Quote
4.27/36.99

Rode with my girls
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 11:03:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

4.27/36.99

Rode with my girls
View Quote
10.70/47.69
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 2:05:31 AM EDT
[#34]
signed up for Tulsa Tough..Sunday Crit on Crybaby Hill
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 9:05:46 PM EDT
[#35]
20.1/177
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 11:37:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
signed up for Tulsa Tough..Sunday Crit on Crybaby Hill
View Quote
Oh nice I want too.....but right now my CFO (wife) says no.....I may just buy someone's reg later.

Long drive for me and having to find a place to stay and all...will need to build some funds for that race.  oh and it is my b-day weekend during Tulsa Tough.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 11:42:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Did a zwift race last night and Zwift Power says I have to upgrade hahahhaa.

So my race all my numbers are saying I have a FTP of 301 and resting right at 3.67 FTP/kg.  So not bad for start of the season.  Should be good when I shed a few more lbs and also work more on my speedwork.

Tomorrow is my first race of the season (Tommy Ketterhagen).  It is a short race of only 33mile for the 4/5.  We have a full team which is nice and I am the team CPT for this one.  I have two riders that are soft picked as protected riders that could win it.  I hope to help them and who knows maybe be right next to them.

This race is kinda funny.  They are mixing all the masters and women in our pack at the same time.  So in theory if I place overall very high I could be on the podium 2-3 times with one race.  I am not sure if I will like this since we will not know what "group" is attacking during the race.  We will see.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 11:20:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
20.1/177
View Quote
10.6/187.6  
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 11:29:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Tomorrow is my first race of the season .
View Quote
Good luck!  Team Jerseys came in today..a little tight but diet is going well. We are hosting a mountain bike race this weekend. Not racing this one but helping out on the setup.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 7:17:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Did my race today.  I had 4 goals:

1-Don't wreck and/or finish (more of a request from the wife lol)
2-Get a team member on the podium
3-Get myself on the podium
4-Get on the age group podium

Goal One check
Goal Two check (one of our Jr. won in a late attack that we blocked for)
Goal Three.....nope finished 13th in the pack sprint which is fine after totally controlling the pack with my team the whole race....I was happy
Goal Four Check got 1st in my age group (50+ and the next guy was 5 minutes behind lol)

Overall our team won all but one race and only lost one age group.  We really killed it.

Oh and the packs were all 60+ riders so not a small race...and Lawson Craddock showed up to race also which is always nice to see.

Next up is the Crockett Stage race.
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 1:08:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Looks like the race went well fourman.  Awesome.

16/50
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 4:53:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Did my race today.  I had 4 goals:

1-Don't wreck and/or finish (more of a request from the wife lol)
2-Get a team member on the podium
3-Get myself on the podium
4-Get on the age group podium

Goal One check
Goal Two check (one of our Jr. won in a late attack that we blocked for)
Goal Three.....nope finished 13th in the pack sprint which is fine after totally controlling the pack with my team the whole race....I was happy
Goal Four Check got 1st in my age group (50+ and the next guy was 5 minutes behind lol)

Overall our team won all but one race and only lost one age group.  We really killed it.

Oh and the packs were all 60+ riders so not a small race...and Lawson Craddock showed up to race also which is always nice to see.

Next up is the Crockett Stage race.
View Quote
Nice going!
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 8:12:08 PM EDT
[#43]
12/78 - need to start getting some longer rides in.  Just can't get myself to stay on the trainer that long this year.  Think I'll have to sign up for one of the tour de zwift group rides to force myself to stay on and finish.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 10:10:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

10.70/47.69
View Quote
7.64/55.33

Rode with my youngest. She is getting stronger.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 11:11:56 PM EDT
[#45]
9/264
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 2:17:11 AM EDT
[#46]
Finally got a fairly decent ride in today.  Prior to this, only shorter rides, albeit on a fatbike in the snow, so those were good workouts.

Rode a 12 mile Mountain bike loop with my wife.  She's not a rider, so it was a slow pace, but it was a nice day, great views, decent trail.  About 1/2 way through, I had a thought:  I should ride home from the trails.  She can drive, and I'll get another 18 miles in and avoid being in last place for the ARFCOM club on Strava.

Great views today.  Wife navigating the snow drifts:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 9:24:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

7.64/55.33

Rode with my youngest. She is getting stronger.
View Quote
4.99/60.32

With my peeps
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 9:39:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Got a short 28 miles today...yesterday did 62 miles solo in the wind...fun times.

Then this evening my son wanted to do a weight workout at the club...so did that.  He could not believe I could do the entire stack of weights with the legs...hahaha too easy.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 2:21:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Finally got a fairly decent ride in today.  Prior to this, only shorter rides, albeit on a fatbike in the snow, so those were good workouts.

Rode a 12 mile Mountain bike loop with my wife.  She's not a rider, so it was a slow pace, but it was a nice day, great views, decent trail.  About 1/2 way through, I had a thought:  I should ride home from the trails.  She can drive, and I'll get another 18 miles in and avoid being in last place for the ARFCOM club on Strava.

Great views today.  Wife navigating the snow drifts:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/489002/mountains_png-1251631.JPG
View Quote
Wow that is nice!
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 2:33:30 PM EDT
[#50]
First race coming up this weekend and it a 85mi  Gravel Grinder.  Those of you that are less focused on being first and more focused on having a good time should try this gravel stuff.  There's usually music/beer/and food trucks for the family and a big party for the finishers.  Its scenic as hell and a test of your planning skills.  Usually there's no chance of winning because retired/active pros show up for these.  This weekend Ted King (former Peter Sagan Teammate) is racing so it will be neat to line up against someone that had World Tour speed.

Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top