User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 12:53:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

So far as a newbie I have found the hardcore lifting dudes to be less judgemental than the soccer mom that needs a new humble brag pic for FB.  YMMV.  
View Quote
If you approached your average "strongest guy in the gym" and asked him for a spot or if he could check your form, I would bet the vast majority of them would be more than happy to help (provided you don't interrupt their workout), they are well past that stage of trying to prove anything to anyone, and want people to do the best they can do safely.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 2:56:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Adam Thrall and Athlean-X are probably my 2 favorites. Thought Thrall kinda hurt my feels with his recent comments about Titan.
View Quote
You might have hurt Alan's feelings by calling him Adam!
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 3:02:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Adam Thrall and Athlean-X are probably my 2 favorites. Thought Thrall kinda hurt my feels with his recent comments about Titan.
Doh!  Spellcheck?  
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 8:58:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Weather has been bad and with work and the holiday I’ve not been able to get to the gym for the bike. Back to doing my core and weight work at home. I can get about 45 min worth.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 3:36:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

If you approached your average "strongest guy in the gym" and asked him for a spot or if he could check your form, I would bet the vast majority of them would be more than happy to help (provided you don't interrupt their workout), they are well past that stage of trying to prove anything to anyone, and want people to do the best they can do safely.
View Quote
I'd say at least watch them squat first since most of the "strong guys" at the gym either don't squat at all, or squat terribly. at least in my experience.

and if they say "nothing, everything looks great" they probably don't know what they are talking about. everyone has something they can improve on.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 7:36:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Haven't been in the pool for about 4 months. Decided to go today. Did 2000 yards/1.1 miles in about an hour without issue. Felt really good to be back in the water. My knees feel fabulous.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 11:15:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Good advice here.

Also add some sets (after squats) of leg extensions.
View Quote
Leg extensions are hell on knees and pretty useless.  Squat and at a comfortable stance for your body.  With work you will find that the increased strength may lessen knee pain due to more support.  Dead lifts, conventional and stiff legged are great as well.  Stay away from machines and focus on form and range of movement.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 9:28:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I feel great. I’m back in the pool - needed to work on my diving kicks, plus I wanted to change things up from the bike. I’ve done 2000 yards / 1.1 miles in 1 hour 3x the past week. Today I was feeling great and just booked in the pool. Knocked 10 minutes off my time even from yesterday! Been doing the squats, core, and weight work at home every other day. Had to bring a scuba tank in from the car today. I was able to carry it without my sciatica hurting. Better arm strength, too! Getting some decent definition in upper arms. I’m also able to handle stairs much easier due to the squats.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 11:42:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I finally got my doubles back from the dive shop, all out together. The entire thing with two tanks, stainless steel backplate, regulators, etc.  weighs about 80 lbs.

I put the whole set up in my comfy, overstuffed chair at home and got into harness. I was able to get out of chair (bracing myself on arms) and I walked around my apartment for a few minutes. Did the same tonight. I wouldn’t have been able to do that much without the working out I’ve already done. Heavy, but doable.

This is the setup.

Link Posted: 12/15/2018 11:26:13 PM EDT
[#10]
That is pretty cool.  One of my goals for 2019 is do some diving.

Maybe I shouldn't have clicked in this thread.  Lifting had been doing wonderous things for my knee.  Yesterday I had a weird feeling on the IT band during a squat, thought maybe it was too much weight so took it down a bit.  Nope, guess I need to give squats a break.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 11:34:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Maybe I shouldn't have clicked in this thread.  Lifting had been doing wonderous things for my knee.  Yesterday I had a weird feeling on the IT band during a squat, thought maybe it was too much weight so took it down a bit.  Nope, guess I need to give squats a break.  
View Quote
Keep doing the squats to keep blood flow going to it. Back off the weight if you have to but work it through the full range of motion, maybe with high reps, to rehab it.

I’ve  dealt with knees, hips, SI joint, groin, piriformis, and IT band. They all have felt better immediately after squatting and they all have gone away by sticking with it.

Trying to force my body out of its woeful atrophy has sucked and has come with some discomfort. Doing the hard stuff is fixing me.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 11:55:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Keep doing the squats to keep blood flow going to it. Back off the weight if you have to but work it through the full range of motion, maybe with high reps, to rehab it.

I’ve  dealt with knees, hips, SI joint, groin, piriformis, and IT band. They all have felt better immediately after squatting and they all have gone away by sticking with it.

Trying to force my body out of its woeful atrophy has sucked and has come with some discomfort. Dong the hard stuff is fixing me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Trying to force my body out of its woeful atrophy has sucked and has come with some discomfort. Dong the hard stuff is fixing me.
Here is the weird thing.  The mechanics of my knee were damaged when I was a kid, at one point the doc told me to have surgery.  I declined.  A couple of year ago I asked my PCP about it and he sent me to a PT that said the knee felt fine, but I was a fatass and needed to strengthen it.    Years of compensating for pain had weakened the knee.

Basically 95% of my main was due to the ITB problems.  Squatting made a HUGE difference.  Like I went from being in constant pain to hardly any pain at all.  I am squatting what I consider a decent amount of weight, my PR is around 325 for 3 reps.  No pain.  I have become a squatting nut.  3x a week, 5x5.  It has done wonders.  

Normally the pain is numbness/"needles" along the left side above my left knee.  A few weeks ago I started having the same feeling right across the top of my kneecap.

Friday I was squatting around 240 went I felt a weird pressure about 6" above my knee, roughly where the IT band runs.  Second rep it felt a little stronger.  I wasn't pain so much as like someone squeezing really hard.  I immediately dropped the weight to about 135 and it was still a lot of pressure and I stopped.

Since then it has been constant "pins and needles" across the left side of my knee.  I suspect being in a cold gym didn't help and I suspect I have some tearing of the IT band.  Going to see where it goes.  Next week I will try some bare bar squats and see what happens.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 12:07:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Here is the weird thing.  The mechanics of my knee were damaged when I was a kid, at one point the doc told me to have surgery.  I declined.  A couple of year ago I asked my PCP about it and he sent me to a PT that said the knee felt fine, but I was a fatass and needed to strengthen it.    Years of compensating for pain had weakened the knee.

Basically 95% of my main was due to the ITB problems.  Squatting made a HUGE difference.  Like I went from being in constant pain to hardly any pain at all.  I am squatting what I consider a decent amount of weight, my PR is around 325 for 3 reps.  No pain.  I have become a squatting nut.  3x a week, 5x5.  It has done wonders.  

Normally the pain is numbness/"needles" along the left side above my left knee.  A few weeks ago I started having the same feeling right across the top of my kneecap.

Friday I was squatting around 240 went I felt a weird pressure about 6" above my knee, roughly where the IT band runs.  Second rep it felt a little stronger.  I wasn't pain so much as like someone squeezing really hard.  I immediately dropped the weight to about 135 and it was still a lot of pressure and I stopped.

Since then it has been constant "pins and needles" across the left side of my knee.  I suspect being in a cold gym didn't help and I suspect I have some tearing of the IT band.  Going to see where it goes.  Next week I will try some bare bar squats and see what happens.
View Quote
I do 5x5 with the empty bar before doing the rest of my warmup sets. That helps a lot.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 11:08:13 AM EDT
[#14]
It was mentioned in an earlier post that I should be able to get an hour workout with core/weight work.

What specifically should I be doing to get that hour? Right now I’m getting about 35 min.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 11:31:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Get the thick neoprene knee sleeves made for power lifters. Makes a big difference.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 4:49:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Physical therapist specialized in sports med. You need one. Insurance usually covers but if not lets be honest if you can afford diving you can pay out of pocket.

They will know how to diagnose your strength issue and build it. Most people with weakness actually have unbalanced muscles they might be strong but not balanced.

Yoga is good too
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 1:00:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I finally got my doubles back from the dive shop, all out together. The entire thing with two tanks, stainless steel backplate, regulators, etc.  weighs about 80 lbs.

I put the whole set up in my comfy, overstuffed chair at home and got into harness. I was able to get out of chair (bracing myself on arms) and I walked around my apartment for a few minutes. Did the same tonight. I wouldn't have been able to do that much without the working out I've already done. Heavy, but doable.

This is the setup.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/279183/F29439D5-2D7D-4BC0-B8A9-1197B5961D33-769166.jpg
View Quote
Nice.  I made the usual guy mistake with my first set of doubles and went twin 130s  Yeah that got my attention when I tried to stand up.

I'll second the neoprene knee sleeve post - they helped tremendously with my knee pain post workout.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 1:00:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It was mentioned in an earlier post that I should be able to get an hour workout with core/weight work.

What specifically should I be doing to get that hour? Right now I'm getting about 35 min.
View Quote
Do you have soreness the next day, or the second day?  Intensity beats time.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 10:56:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

What specifically should I be doing to get that hour? Right now I’m getting about 35 min.
View Quote
You’ll have the best success with a well thought out program.  Which one are you using?
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 3:16:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You’ll have the best success with a well thought out program.  Which one are you using?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sweet Jesus, is anyone actually reading the danged thread? I am not following any specific program.

I am doing:
Dumbbell squats (5lbs in each hand)
Chalice squat (10lb held with both hands)
Glute bridges (unweighted)
Crunches (not sit ups)
Standing pushups (can’t do regular ones and modified hurts my knees)
Clamshell (recommended by PT earlier this year)
Bicep curls
Tricep extensions(? Not sure what it’s called)
Rows (? One knee on chair and using weight in one hand)
Weight with arms straight out to sides (not sure what it’s called)
Thing where you’re on your on your back and bicycling legs in air (good for abs)
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 3:24:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Do you have soreness the next day, or the second day?  Intensity beats time.
View Quote
No knee soreness. Right now my ass hurts. I really pushed it in the pool yesterday - did my 2000 yards in 50 minutes.

Frankly, I sometimes think my sciatica is more of a problem than my knees.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 3:59:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

No knee soreness. Right now my ass hurts. I really pushed it in the pool yesterday - did my 2000 yards in 50 minutes.

Frankly, I sometimes think my sciatica is more of a problem than my knees.
View Quote
A sore ass is a good thing.  Well, um, usually.

The exercises you are doing seem well thought out and effective.  Chalice squats are a royal bitch.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 4:03:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Nice.  I made the usual guy mistake with my first set of doubles and went twin 130s  Yeah that got my attention when I tried to stand up.

I'll second the neoprene knee sleeve post - they helped tremendously with my knee pain post workout.
View Quote
My doubles are only 23” tall from top of valve to bottom of tank. I’m calling them by “dwarf dubs” because they’re next size up from “baby dubs” (LP50).
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 5:58:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Sweet Jesus, is anyone actually reading the danged thread? I am not following any specific program.

I am doing:
Crunches (not sit ups)
Bicep curls
Thing where you’re on your on your back and bicycling legs in air (good for abs)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am doing:
Crunches (not sit ups)
Bicep curls
How many setsxreps and how much do you increase the weight each time?
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 7:12:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

How many setsxreps and how much do you increase the weight each time?
View Quote
3 sets of 10 reps each. Exceptions: crunches I do 100 reps.

I just went from 5lb to 10lb dumbbells for my arm weight work. Otherwise weight hasn’t been increased.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 7:42:43 PM EDT
[#26]
At this point, you’ve adapted to the stress you’ve put on your body. It’s just exercise, not really strength building. There are positive benefits to exercise - burns calories, improves mobility, occupies your time - but you get those same benefits in a Strength program.

Strength is gained through stress, recovery and adaptation. If you are not increasing the stress, your body has nothing new to adapt to. So you’ve got to increase the stress. The easiest way to increase stress for a beginner is to progressively increase the weight. There is more to it, such as lower reps (3-6 range) and higher weights is usually a more effective at improving strength. Diet, sleep, etc.

You are asked which program you follow, because programming adds intelligence to what you’re doing. Aimlessly following a mixed bag of exercises usually results in early plateauing followed by frustration and abandonment of the effort. It’s a waste of time. If you truly want to get stronger, follow an established strength program for novices. Work with a knowledgeable person to adapt the program to your current limitations. Push yourself to overcome those limitations as you improve your strength.

Or don’t.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 8:48:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 9:43:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
At this point, you’ve adapted to the stress you’ve put on your body. It’s just exercise, not really strength building. There are positive benefits to exercise - burns calories, improves mobility, occupies your time - but you get those same benefits in a Strength program.

Strength is gained through stress, recovery and adaptation. If you are not increasing the stress, your body has nothing new to adapt to. So you’ve got to increase the stress. The easiest way to increase stress for a beginner is to progressively increase the weight. There is more to it, such as lower reps (3-6 range) and higher weights is usually a more effective at improving strength. Diet, sleep, etc.

You are asked which program you follow, because programming adds intelligence to what you’re doing. Aimlessly following a mixed bag of exercises usually results in early plateauing followed by frustration and abandonment of the effort. It’s a waste of time. If you truly want to get stronger, follow an established strength program for novices. Work with a knowledgeable person to adapt the program to your current limitations. Push yourself to overcome those limitations as you improve your strength.

Or don’t.
View Quote
Never let it be said that @frayedknot doesn’t tailor his message to his audience.

You want to get strong and overcome your knee issues. Random exercise won’t do it. Programmed training will.

Since frayedknot is being uncharacteristicly polite, I’ll do his thing: Stop being weak. Lift heavy things.

(As mentioned earlier in this thread, I overcame knee and back pain by lifting heavy things.)
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 11:29:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

3 sets of 10 reps each. Exceptions: crunches I do 100 reps.

I just went from 5lb to 10lb dumbbells for my arm weight work. Otherwise weight hasn’t been increased.
View Quote
He kinda hurt my feels, but he has a point.  I am nothing short of amazed how much change there has been in my stomach area since doing squats/deadlifts.

Link Posted: 12/24/2018 11:37:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 4:59:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Never let it be said that @frayedknot doesn’t tailor his message to his audience.

You want to get strong and overcome your knee issues. Random exercise won’t do it. Programmed training will.

Since frayedknot is being uncharacteristicly polite, I’ll do his thing: Stop being weak. Lift heavy things.

(As mentioned earlier in this thread, I overcame knee and back pain by lifting heavy things.)
View Quote
I try to keep my shenanigans to a minimum in SD&F...outside of the 5/3/1 thread.

Quoted:

Well, he is basically copy and pasting Mark Rippetoe.

I am going to add that Marie needs to go to a weight gym and seek professional advice/instruction.

It costs up-front but it’s cheap in the long run.  There may be a lifting ARFcomer in the area that could give her advice and basic instruction on her form.
View Quote
Nah bruh. This is top secret, complex training philosophies that only a select few special people know about.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 5:28:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I am doing:
Crunches (not sit ups)
Bicep curls
View Quote
I was hoping you'd seen that you can reduce knee pain and actually do what your joints are intended for, then found a program.

You'll find you have great success with a well thought out program, what you're doing now won't keep you in balance very well, and you really want a well balanced development.  A lot of knee pain, especially in runners but I wonder if swimming with fins does the same, is from an imbalance in the size/strength of the quad versus the ham/glute.  If you do proper deadlifts, squats and rows you'll find you're very symetric about muscles in the front and back of your body and many issues will resolve in the knees and shoulders.  A weak back will cause a huge number of complications, and most of them can be fixed with a well thought out, balanced and progressive program.

And you don't have to be competing in strongman to use a real program, in fact you'll have some mind-blowing successes from them for the first year.  Want to feel 15 years younger?  Use a program.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 10:29:20 PM EDT
[#33]
FWIW I have gone back to squatting.  I seem to have done "something" to my knee a few weeks ago and I am still having some tingling issues, but seems to be strong.  I have not done any real heavy lifting, but I suspect it was just an issue of being too cold.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top