BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 12:08:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

He should lose the gloves for sure, not going to comment on the wraps (I found that triple ply knee sleeves really helped me with squats early on).  But other than that, I completely disagree with you, you should have a belt and shoes, and why wouldn't you want to have the correct tools for the activity at your disposal?
View Quote
I think it is more important to learn proper form/technique and get some strength first, before spending $$$ on gear that may or may not be needed.

How many times have we ridiculed people with all of the latest, most expensive "tier one operator" guns, gear, and accessories yet they don't train? Same thing.

Again, he was clearly a beginner. Rippetoe's gym is about two hours from here. He would be better off spending the first money on training.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 12:19:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I think it is more important to learn proper form/technique and get some strength first, before spending $$$ on gear that may or may not be needed.

How many times have we ridiculed people with all of the latest, most expensive "tier one operator" guns, gear, and accessories yet they never train? Same thing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He should lose the gloves for sure, not going to comment on the wraps (I found that triple ply knee sleeves really helped me with squats early on).  But other than that, I completely disagree with you, you should have a belt and shoes, and why wouldn't you want to have the correct tools for the activity at your disposal?

How many times have we ridiculed people with all of the latest, most expensive "tier one operator" guns, gear, and accessories yet they never train? Same thing.
No it's not, because shoes can help you develop that form and technique.

If you buy shoes then never use them, perhaps you deserve some ridicule. But if you're just getting started and get shoes to help you- anyone the ridicules that guy is a dick and should mind his own business.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 12:23:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

If you buy shoes then never use them, perhaps you deserve some ridicule. But if you're just getting started and get shoes to help you- anyone the ridicules that guy is a dick and should mind his own business.
View Quote
OK I will give you that. Perhaps shoes. But not necessarily powerlifting shoes. The beginner would do just as well in low-profile athletic shoes or barefooted. And I didn't ridicule him, dick.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 12:26:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Truth, the only person I will ever ridicule is the one that thinks and acts like they know everything, but doesn't.  I am NOT going to ridicule anyone for getting serious about their fitness and buying the right tools for the job.

(to diggerwolf) So you have to squat in shitty, squishy running shoes up to let's say, 225, and only then you are allowed to get "real" shoes?  Does that REALLY make sense when you say it out loud?
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 12:27:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I love mine for squats.  The elevated heel and solid bottom are great to squat in.  If you're used to squatting in soft-soled running shoes you'll put 10# on your lift on the first day.  Much less energy used for stability can be put towards pushing the weight up.

Aside from squat day i just use a regular trainer.  Much more comfortable to walk/run in, and still a bit more stable than a running shoe.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 12:28:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
OK I will give you that. Perhaps shoes. But not necessarily powerlifting shoes. The beginner would do just as well in low-profile athletic shoes or barefooted. And I didn't ridicule him, dick.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why not start with the correct equipment though? If you start squatting barefoot, then switch to shoes, the mechanics of the lift will change and you'll have to re-learn it it a bit.

After getting a pair and using them, it's like cleats for playing soccer. You can probably get by just fine learning the basics without them, but you might as well get them to start with because they are the correct footwear for the activity. I you learn how to shoot and pass with high tops on it's going to mess up your feel on the ball when you get the correct shoes.

The belt seems like one of those things that can be bought much later, and gloves are for working outside with, callouses actually help your grip if you use them right.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 12:35:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As I said before, whether or not you get weightlifting shoes will depend on the factors I mentioned. In many cases it still make sense for a somewhat newbie to pick up an inexpensive pair since they are totally different than low profile shoes or barefoot.

We're pretty much talking about shoes in this thread exclusively...and I didn't call you a dick.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 12:42:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

As I said before, whether or not you get weightlifting shoes will depend on the factors I mentioned. In many cases it still make sense for a somewhat newbie to pick up an inexpensive pair since they are totally different than low profile shoes or barefoot.

We're pretty much talking about shoes in this thread exclusively...and I didn't call you a dick.
View Quote
I retract my "dick" comment.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 1:49:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This has nothing to do with weightlifting shoes.

If you are getting into WEIGHTLIFTING, regardless of skill level- you should get shoes.
If you are a powerlifter, you may or may not benefit from shoes.
Everyone else, maybe helpful for squats maybe not depending on the individual.
View Quote
As a 50+ dude, I find the combination of shoes and belt to be really helpful for squatting (low bar).

I generally don't use them when my heaviest lift is [/u] 225.   I know that isn't super-heavy, but I generally cut back on my lifting every summer to spend more time outdoors running and paddleboarding so strength goes down.

I can get a good bit lower/deeper with shoes/belt and my glutes and hamstrings know it.  I've just started using them again last week and have the walk to prove it.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 7:41:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Wrestling shoes are great for deadlifts and wide stance squats.

Olympic style shoes are great for Olympic lifting and high Bar/narrow stance squats.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:12:29 AM EDT
[#11]
jumping in again.

I left my lifters at home the other day, squatted in reebok nano 2.0, so a pretty flat/allegedly solid shoe. Still a little squishy in the heel (only 275 on the bar), and much prefer the lifters. So def worth it if  you are wanting to make squatting a priority. Nothing wrong with getting the right equipment for the activity.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 5:17:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I am a newb, but I bought a pair of Addias PowerLifts.

They are not needed for the weight I'm using, but they remove the variables that are inherent in squishy soled shoes.

They allow me to better judge my still developing form and that's more than worth the price for me.
View Quote
I did the same, but with Reebok PRs. I got them on a huge sale a while back.

They did make a nice difference over my squishy Nikes (I bought them in July and they are already pretty shot, ) and makes my lifts feel very solid.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 11:31:01 AM EDT
[#13]
My Adidas Powerlift 3.1 shoes seemed to have made a slight difference for my squats. I can drop slightly below parallel much easier and my quads are more subject to DOMS. I believe I'm getting my money's worth from them.
So far the shoes have not increased my sex life, my wife won't fall for the "I need my quads massaged".  
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 11:39:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Just buy some generic "Athletic shoes".  Hell, even wrestling shoes would do the job. But somehow I don't think your shoe choice matters in the least. Barefoot probably works best. Especially if your on mats or something.  But don't listen to me. I am an overweight, non lifting, non bro.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 6:58:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Just buy some generic "Athletic shoes".  Hell, even wrestling shoes would do the job. But somehow I don't think your shoe choice matters in the least. Barefoot probably works best. Especially if your on mats or something.  But don't listen to me. I am an overweight, non lifting, non bro.
View Quote
lol
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 1:37:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Everyone take this guys advice and don't listen to him lol

Serious question, why would you come in here and offer advice on something you admittedly don't even participate in or know anything about?
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 2:01:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 2:36:20 AM EDT
[#18]
I ended up ordering a pair of romaleo 3s on Black Friday. They came in yesterday but the weekend is my rest days. Can’t wait to squat in them tomorrow!
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 3:42:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Everyone take this guys advice and don't listen to him lol

Serious question, why would you come in here and offer advice on something you admittedly don't even participate in or know anything about?
View Quote
And then give terrible advise that's contrary to what everyone who has experience is giving?  We need the ability to flag members of the forum with a note, I'd make sure to label this guy....
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 7:11:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I wear Chucks in the gym, and most other places. They work great for me.
I also don’t use a belt, gloves, legwarmers, a benching shirt, chalk, knee wraps, a headband, or wrist straps (anymore). Also all my shirts have the sleeves and sides still intact except for the occasional wifebeater in the summer. I don’t like feeling like I’m playing “dress up like a gym guy”.
View Quote
Not using chalk is making you weaker (assuming that you're actually deadlifting and rowing).
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 12:33:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top