Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2003 11:41:00 AM EDT
I have spent a lot of time in Alaska and will be moving up there shortly.  I am trying to decide on the proper gun to use for Grizzly Bear protection.  Should I use a...

44 Mag?
Glock 20 (with high-caps, of course)?
12 gauge with slugs?
S&W 500?
454 Casull?

I want a gun that will be easy to carry, so even an 18 inch 12 guage may be troublesome to carry out in the bush.  What do you think??  I'd appreciate any imput.
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 10:47:40 PM EDT
[#1]
the .44 mag sounds like one the best choices you got up there or you could use a desert eagle .50,,, i know what you talking bout its knida hard to stuff a 12 ga in you pocket. if your confident enough and have enough trainin a good sword you can strap on your back  would be aight too
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 5:54:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Everyone was trying to ignore this post since it is not in the right forum.  Now you have gone and spoiled everything.
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 1:19:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I would definately go for the 12 gauge w/ slugs.  Get yourself a good sling and you should be fine.  I personally wouldn't be confident in relying on any handgun or even hand cannon to stop a charging bear.  just my 2 1/2 cents.

Cold Zero
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 2:33:02 PM EDT
[#4]
From my understanding all of these weapons will only do one thing.  Anoy the bear.  Best bet is to go out in the bush with someone else and carry a .22 pistol, when the bear shows up shoot the buddy in the leg and run.  
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 9:41:46 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
the .44 mag sounds like one the best choices you got up there or you could use a desert eagle .50,,, i know what you talking bout its knida hard to stuff a 12 ga in you pocket. if your confident enough and have enough trainin a good sword you can strap on your back  would be aight too

Jesus wept, Ten, you're the best thing since Monty Python! I thought you couldn't out-do your "I shoot blackbirds on the fly at 300 yards with a muzzle loader" bit, but the sword bit is great!!!

Link Posted: 11/17/2003 10:01:54 AM EDT
[#6]
This is what I would use, but maybe in 18"

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=174293&w=searchPop

--LS
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 2:24:10 PM EDT
[#7]
If worried about bear attacks, I would use a Ruger Single Six 22 cal.

When a swift kill is necessary PENETRATION is the key.

A head shot is vital.  If a small head use the 22 LR cylinder.

If head is large swap out for the 22 magnum.

This way, you can get the penetration you need and still have an open casket and not leave an expensive pistol laying out in the woods.

Whether or not the bear will molest your head shot corpse after you've expired...You have to leave something to chance I guess.

Good luck.

Sly

(BTW, my "for real" choice would be the G20 with hi-caps)
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 8:07:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Go search the Hunting forum.
This has been talked about almost to death.
I lived in Fairbanks and the amount of people that go into the bush without a firearm, and live to tell about it would apparently amaze people down here in the lower 48.
Then again, you can count on at least one person per year getting mauled.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 8:14:34 PM EDT
[#9]
.454 Casull
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top