Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/14/2017 4:56:34 PM EDT
I have been on Nexium for the past year. I'm fairly certain that it is starting to cause gastrointestinal issues like bloating, IBS, slight nausea, etc. I also don't like some of the things I am starting to hear about long term effects from PPIs.

I have been doing some research on "home remedies" for AR/Heartburn, and the common consensus is that apple cider vinegar (diluted in water) once a day can help, along with black licorice, and there are a few other things that I have run across.

Thoughts? Tips? Suggestions?
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 5:16:35 PM EDT
[#1]
What do you eat?
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 5:29:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Sleep sitting up
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 5:38:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm gonna try giving up the delicious fried corn chips from my local TexMex place.  It can't be the cheap tequilla they put in the $2 margaritas.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 5:40:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Raise your headboard end of the bed 3 to 4 inches. Works for my wife..
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 6:17:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Put 2 one inch blocks, under your top two bed legs.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 6:27:18 PM EDT
[#6]
keto fixed all of mine in 3 days
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 7:04:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Diet - nothing else to say.

The vast majority of people with this issue are diet related - it's pretty easy to fix.

Stop drinking sodas (any sugar drinks). Stops eating potato chips (any deep fried foods) and take it easy on carbs - not saying don't eat any carbs just keep it to a low roar.

Have a nice turkey sandwich and drink water.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 7:10:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have been on Nexium for the past year. I'm fairly certain that it is starting to cause gastrointestinal issues like bloating, IBS, slight nausea, etc. I also don't like some of the things I am starting to hear about long term effects from PPIs.

I have been doing some research on "home remedies" for AR/Heartburn, and the common consensus is that apple cider vinegar (diluted in water) once a day can help, along with black licorice, and there are a few other things that I have run across.

View Quote

Ex gf’s mom had all of those symptoms and was eventually diagnosed with celiac disease.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 7:15:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I had bad reflux due to esophagus surgery (not weight loss related). My Dr. has had me on 40mg Prilosec for the past 8 years. I paid attention to what I ate, and have stopped Prilosec. Prilosec made me loose all energy and feel like shit the past 2 years. Diet adjustment has reduced my issues 80%, I use natural things for the other 20%.

What I use...
- milk... it stinks as a base, but when you load up, it helps
-pickle juice.... I buy a gallon off Amazon. It works.

What I avoid...
-doughnuts
-soft drinks
-sweet tea
-caffeine
-pizza

Also, I sleep on my left side only (there is a difference). I have a bed frame from Ikea so I can manually prop the bed up if needed.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 7:44:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I had really bad acid reflux. I was drinking 4 or 5 cups of coffee a day. Cut back to one cup or less, started drinking more water and now no more acid reflux.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 8:24:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I have tried pretty much everything including Keto.

If I don't take my Nexium I am miserable by the end of the day.

Been having issues for probably 30 years.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 11:15:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Diet - nothing else to say.

The vast majority of people with this issue are diet related - it's pretty easy to fix.

Stop drinking sodas (any sugar drinks). Stops eating potato chips (any deep fried foods) and take it easy on carbs - not saying don't eat any carbs just keep it to a low roar.

Have a nice turkey sandwich and drink water.  
View Quote
This and exercise is all I need to keep it under control.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 8:54:35 AM EDT
[#13]
I used to use Nexium and OTC meds, and had the same problem... eventually caused other digestive issues. I do my best to just avoid triggering it in the first place. Eat dinner early enough that I have several hours to digest before going to bed, avoid food I know will cause it, don't overeat. I have (plain) Kefir daily for the probiotics. Pineapple and papaya are good sources of beneficial digestive enzymes.

Avoiding stress helps a lot too but is also a hell of a lot easier said than done.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 9:17:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Have a vega1 shake every morning and get off all sugar till it clears off.  

If you do eat sugar after don’t eat a lot of it.   Sugar is a killer.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 9:52:07 AM EDT
[#15]
If you have access to Honey as natural and unprocessed as you can get it have a spoonful every morning before breakfast till symptoms decrease or completely go away. Even better if you have access to aloe vera plants get the middle part of the aloe not the skin, and cut it up into candy sized pieces. Kind of like a jolly rancher size if not a little bigger, swallow it whole like a pill. Also take it till sympotms decrease or completely go away. This is what people do here in south texas and northen mexico to keep it maneagable and is a very natural way to relieve and possibly cure it. Chamomile tea is also good to help leviate symptoms especially when going to sleep at night.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 12:47:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What do you eat?
View Quote
Breakfast is usually a small bowl of cereal, yogurt, and a banana, Mon-Fri. Saturday and Sunday is bacon and eggs, maybe half a bagel, oatmeal, or grits (seasoned the proper way with salt and pepper ).

Lunch is half a sandwich and a small bowl of soup, occasionally a salad, or whatever the wife has fixed, which ranges from spaghetti to hotdogs to chicken or pork with rice.

Dinner is usually some form of baked chicken or pork, occasionally beef, with a serving of rice (white, yellow, or brown) or quinoa or couscous, and a serving of vegetables, usually squash or zucchini or broccoli/cauliflower.

Granola bar for snacks. Occasionally things like cheese-its or cheese on a cracker. Sunflower seeds. I am not a big snacker.

I drink a lot of water during the day. Drinks with lunch and dinner is usually homemade sweet tea. The only soda that I drink is one or two on the weekend evenings, as a mixer for rum, bourbon, or whiskey.

The big intake was coffee...3 cups a day. I am trying to cut that down to one, perhaps two while I am on night shift.

I started trying a few home remedies:

Spoonful of yellow mustard: not sure if it really helped, since it was the same day I stopped Nexium.
Drinkable Apple Cider Vinegar from Vermont Village: Taking a shot in the morning before breakfast, and probably one at night before dinner. So far it seems to be helping.

I ordered some DGL Licorice from Amazon, which is also supposed to help. I also ordered some bed risers to raise up the head of the bed. Both should be here within a day or two.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 5:34:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Breakfast is usually a small bowl of cereal, yogurt, and a banana, Mon-Fri. Saturday and Sunday is bacon and eggs, maybe half a bagel, oatmeal, or grits (seasoned the proper way with salt and pepper ).

Lunch is half a sandwich and a small bowl of soup, occasionally a salad, or whatever the wife has fixed, which ranges from spaghetti to hotdogs to chicken or pork with rice.

Dinner is usually some form of baked chicken or pork, occasionally beef, with a serving of rice (white, yellow, or brown) or quinoa or couscous, and a serving of vegetables, usually squash or zucchini or broccoli/cauliflower.

Granola bar for snacks. Occasionally things like cheese-its or cheese on a cracker. Sunflower seeds. I am not a big snacker.

I drink a lot of water during the day. Drinks with lunch and dinner is usually homemade sweet tea. The only soda that I drink is one or two on the weekend evenings, as a mixer for rum, bourbon, or whiskey.

The big intake was coffee...3 cups a day. I am trying to cut that down to one, perhaps two while I am on night shift.

I started trying a few home remedies:

Spoonful of yellow mustard: not sure if it really helped, since it was the same day I stopped Nexium.
Drinkable Apple Cider Vinegar from Vermont Village: Taking a shot in the morning before breakfast, and probably one at night before dinner. So far it seems to be helping.

I ordered some DGL Licorice from Amazon, which is also supposed to help. I also ordered some bed risers to raise up the head of the bed. Both should be here within a day or two.
View Quote
well i can tell you that i get more acid reflux with carbs and pretty much 0 without. Carby alcohol is one of the worst culprits.
But for a lot of medical problems an elimination diet is a good protocol. Start off by cutting back to a simple protein like chicken or eggs. If you still have problems with that you can try different proteins. Then slowly add in foods one at a time and you can see which ones trigger the reflux. After the proteins I would start adding different fats as those are the two essential macros. Once you have a good idea on those most veggies should be good to go and you can try different fruits dairy and various carbs.

It may suck for a bit but should give you a really good picture of how your body reacts to various foods.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 11:51:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Stress exacerbates it.  In my early 30s it was bad.  Now in my late 30s it's gone without meds.  Address stress/sleep, drink lots of water and be somewhat conscious of acidity intake.  I still eat very spicy foods, but drink lots of water and probiotics.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 11:55:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I had really bad acid reflux. I was drinking 4 or 5 cups of coffee a day. Cut back to one cup or less, started drinking more water and now no more acid reflux.
View Quote
You can add baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) to your coffee to neutralize acidity and improve flavor.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 12:15:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Well, cheap Mexican dinner night w/ cheap tequila in the $2 margaritas, but no free greasy corn chips and no free salsa = no 3 am heartburn.

Perhaps I can try $6 worth of margaritas next week.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 12:21:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Don't eat right before bedtime..  
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 12:45:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

One shot of apple cider vinigar every morning.  Haven't taken previcide for nearly two years, after taking it for 4 straight.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 1:25:32 PM EDT
[#23]
97% of my acid reflux and heartburn went away when I quit smoking.

Now I only get it when I over-eat or too much mexican food.

I still drink alot of pop, I'm working it cut it back cause now I'm getting fat. lol
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 3:25:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top