Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/12/2017 10:00:15 PM EDT
I am looking to upgrade barbells and weights from my old, standard 1" bars and plates to olympic sized 2 inch equipment.
I have had the old stuff for 30 years and truthfully, it didn't get used as much as it should. 450 lbs though.

But retirement is boring and now I've time to do things, like read Sullivan and Bakers book, "The Barbell Prescription". There was one statement that resonated with me, "When you retire, people tell you to take it easy. Easy makes you soft, soft helps make you dead".

Anyhow, I see Dunham's has a 300 lb set of CI  plates and bar(Cap barbell Inc). Nothing fancy, but for just under 200 bucks it would be a start. That breaks down as 255 lbs plates and 45 lb bar. I'm absolutely certain that the bar is a real tier one item, I figure to replace it with one from the Rogue Boneyard as soon as I can. Even then I will be paying more for the bar than the entire set.

Yes, I know I'll need more plates.

So, what am I asking? Fuck, I don't know, but if anyone has advice or comments, please feel free.

BTW, I'm not expecting to look like Schwarzenegger, just don't want to get weaker and more brittle as I age.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 10:35:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Is a good move, man.  Get under the bar and get stronger.  That sorta cheap stuff will be fine to start, if you outgrow it you probably won't regret it and will look forward to the new stuff.  If you decide to get really nice stuff and waste it, it's just more money wasted.

You can do a lot for yourself as an older guy with that set.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 5:18:12 AM EDT
[#2]
I used a cheap 300 lb set for two years until the collars on my bar broke.

I upgraded to a nice bar, still just the cheap plates. I have a whole pile of plates that are all different sizes and quality, but they are still heavy. I made little platforms to bring the bar up to standard height for deadlifting and rowing,, because my biggest plate are still almost an inch smaller in diameter than standard.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 5:52:05 AM EDT
[#3]
The big negative with cheap plates is that they can be pretty far off from what the weight is supposed to be. Like a 45 could easily be 40 or 50
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 7:30:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The big negative with cheap plates is that they can be pretty far off from what the weight is supposed to be. Like a 45 could easily be 40 or 50
View Quote
Well, that's one of the things I have heard too. Also why I mentioned the specific company (CAP), so that anyone with first hand experience with them might comment.
I have read a couple of stories about random "45" plates weighing anywhere from 41 to 50 lbs. No mention of any brand or supplier though.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 7:38:35 AM EDT
[#5]
You can buy cheap weights no prob but spend the money for a good bar from the get go. Rogue and AB have a ton of US made options. I think I may pick up a stainless bar next.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 12:30:52 PM EDT
[#6]
It occurred to me that I actually have 2 CAP plates, albeit they are 1 inch standards, 50 lbs, and I've had them a long time.

Weighed them on my digital bathroom scale, both weigh 51.6 so they are well matched. Not sure the actual weight is correct though, bathroom scales aren't precision instruments.

Still interested in any advice, I am trying to get a grip on this subject, I can see that it will be a learning experience.

On a side note, these 50 lb plates are thick enough that I could put them on the mill and bore them out to 2 inches. Gain 100 lbs for no further cash expenditure other than the time it takes, sounds good!
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 12:56:31 PM EDT
[#7]
My advice:

Buy two (matching) sets for $200 each, and sell the unused bars for $50 each on Craigslist. Take that $100 and apply it towards a quality barbell.

A quality bar and 500 lbs of plates should last you a little while.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 12:59:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You can buy cheap weights no prob but spend the money for a good bar from the get go. Rogue and AB have a ton of US made options. I think I may pick up a stainless bar next.
View Quote
I grabbed a Texas Power Bar locally for less than it cost to have one shipped to me this spring. It's been great so far, and actually have the correct diameter bar and good quality knurling was like taking a red pill.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 1:51:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Well, that's one of the things I have heard too. Also why I mentioned the specific company (CAP), so that anyone with first hand experience with them might comment.
I have read a couple of stories about random "45" plates weighing anywhere from 41 to 50 lbs. No mention of any brand or supplier though.
View Quote
I've broken or bent two CAP barbells, now I only use the slightly better stuff so I don't break any more of them.  Who cares though?  It's like $80, if you get to the point where you're bending bars then you've earned a better bar.  Or start out better if you've got the money, either way plan on them not lasting under heavier loads.  Or light loads, I think I broke one by dropping it with 100lbs of bumpers on it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 3:38:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've broken or bent two CAP barbells, now I only use the slightly better stuff so I don't break any more of them.  Who cares though?  It's like $80, if you get to the point where you're bending bars then you've earned a better bar.  Or start out better if you've got the money, either way plan on them not lasting under heavier loads.  Or light loads, I think I broke one by dropping it with 100lbs of bumpers on it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What happened on mine is the wide part of the collars just broke off. It was only screwed on, not even locktited or anything.

I wasn't even being mean to it, I noticed during deadlifting one day that it was all janky looking, I tried to straight it out and it just stripped out and hung there.

I ended up welding both of them on and now it's my landmine bar.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 6:13:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Just checked on Amazon, same set $549.00 plus 158.23 shipping!! Total $707.23

Yeah, I don't think so. $213.64 with tax and out the door at the local Dunhams store. They even helped load it up in my SUV, service with a smile.

Only bad part is I have to wait until I can clear an area to set up everything. That will come, soon, I hope.

ETA weight variance among plates. Just the 3 heaviest pairs, the lighter plates most likely have smaller differences  .

25lb = 25.2/25.0
35lb = 36.8/36.2
45lb = 43.2/44.0

So, it looks like a max variation of 1.6 lbs, assuming all the heavy on one side, light on the other. Not ideal but not terrible.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 1:58:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It occurred to me that I actually have 2 CAP plates, albeit they are 1 inch standards, 50 lbs, and I've had them a long time.

Weighed them on my digital bathroom scale, both weigh 51.6 so they are well matched. Not sure the actual weight is correct though, bathroom scales aren't precision instruments.

Still interested in any advice, I am trying to get a grip on this subject, I can see that it will be a learning experience.

On a side note, these 50 lb plates are thick enough that I could put them on the mill and bore them out to 2 inches. Gain 100 lbs for no further cash expenditure other than the time it takes, sounds good!
View Quote
If you are worried about weight The plates will get expensive. cast iron plates from most manufacturers are off just the way it is. unless you're looking for PR to compete dont worry too much. Lift heavy things.

Yes you can bore out the 50s

Unless you're in a hurry or have a fast paced retirement... Start a new hobby.. Collect plates. Ohio is an amazing place for equipment.

Something to consider is plate design... I have Ivanko Revolvers. Easy to load and versatile to work with. I can do farmer carries, hold for hyperextension, use for shrugs, etc... Having  a hand grip style can be beneficial. Deep dish plates make an amazing sound when rattling and are easy to load.

Check craigslist for plates at .50 lb max, Good bars show up regularly May be used but also may be better Quality

I would put my money into a barbell before plates.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 2:41:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Just checked on Amazon, same set $549.00 plus 158.23 shipping!! Total $707.23

Yeah, I don't think so. $213.64 with tax and out the door at the local Dunhams store. They even helped load it up in my SUV, service with a smile.

Only bad part is I have to wait until I can clear an area to set up everything. That will come, soon, I hope.

ETA weight variance among plates. Just the 3 heaviest pairs, the lighter plates most likely have smaller differences  .

25lb = 25.2/25.0
35lb = 36.8/36.2
45lb = 43.2/44.0

So, it looks like a max variation of 1.6 lbs, assuming all the heavy on one side, light on the other. Not ideal but not terrible.
View Quote
Killer deal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top