Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2017 1:07:35 PM EDT
Had my physical the other day and while my LDL cholesterol was good, my HDL was a little low.  I've been exercising regularly and I eat quite a bit of grilled salmon, but my doc recommended adding Krill Oil as a supplement.  

I've been taking 4000 mgs of Fish Oil for a few years but it's the Spring Valley brand from WalMart.  And after reading a few things about their stuff, I think I have been wasting my money.

Can anyone recommend a good Krill Oil supplement preferably from Amazon or GNC?  One that actually will work on getting my HDL up?

Thanks...
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 1:12:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I use this.....

Krill Oil 1000mg/Serving Softgel Capsules Best Source of Pure Omega 3s EPA DHA and Astaxanthin Suberba2 (TM) MSC Certified Red Oil Supplement for Mega Results Best Antarctic Fish Oil Supplement l https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSWLWKA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_uhs0zbET4MVMB
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 7:42:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Think about doing more cooking with coconut oil too.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 8:28:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I have listening to the Jocko podcast.  He's a no-nonsense guy.  I think I will support him by buying this

Jocko Krill Oil
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 9:31:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Think about doing more cooking with coconut oil too.
View Quote
It's a good oil, raw or cooked.  A lot of people disregard how oils can destabilize with heat and form free radicals.  Never exceed the smoke point of an oil and research which oils or refinement techniques are best for which cooking temp ranges.  The reason french fries are one of the worst foods you can eat at restaurant is b/c often they are start in a shitty oil which cooks all day and becomes quite unhealthy.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 1:08:43 PM EDT
[#5]
One of my coworkers, in his 30s, switched from fish oil to krill oil at the recommendation of his cardiologist.  He buys his at Costco.

When I use up my fish oil, I'm going to switch to Costco krill oil too just to see if I can get my HDL up.  Mine has been diagnosed as genetically low because no matter what I do with diet and exercise, I can't get my HDL into the normal range.  

My last cholesterol reading was:
CHOLESTEROL:           169 MG/DL
TRIGLYCERIDES:   140 MG/DL
HDL CHOLESTEROL:   32 MG/DL
CALCULATED LDL CHOL:   109 MG/DL
RISK RATION LDL/HDL:   3.41 RATIO
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 1:45:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It's a good oil, raw or cooked.  A lot of people disregard how oils can destabilize with heat and form free radicals.  Never exceed the smoke point of an oil and research which oils or refinement techniques are best for which cooking temp ranges.  The reason french fries are one of the worst foods you can eat at restaurant is b/c often they are start in a shitty oil which cooks all day and becomes quite unhealthy.
View Quote
Coconut is mosttly saturated fat and has relatively high levels of MCT.  It tends to raise total cholesterol, but raises HDL more than LDL.  Low carb should clean up triglycerides.  Coconut oil and intense exercise should raise HDL.  Eat some wild caught salmon and sardines 3 or 4 times per week too.

In any case, long term supplementation with fish oil is correlated with negative health outcomes. People should try to get their nutrients from whole foods, not supplements.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 7:50:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I like the mega red brand, the Members Mark from Sam's is ok. I recently got the Nature's Made or whatever the Kroger Brand is called, they had a BOGO... it's labeled "burpless".. yeah, no...no, it's not.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 9:46:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I like the mega red brand, the Members Mark from Sam's is ok. I recently got the Nature's Made or whatever the Kroger Brand is called, they had a BOGO... it's labeled "burpless".. yeah, no...no, it's not.
View Quote
I'm going to Sams tomorrow and check out their offerings.  

My doc told me with the fish oil to put them in the freezer.  Take the pill and they won't give you the fish burps because they won't completely come apart until they are in your small intestine.  I've done this and never noticed a fishy after taste.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 10:01:41 PM EDT
[#9]
OP, so far, I've only had "bump" issues once with the Krill stuff above...
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 11:24:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm going to Sams tomorrow and check out their offerings.  

My doc told me with the fish oil to put them in the freezer.  Take the pill and they won't give you the fish burps because they won't completely come apart until they are in your small intestine.  I've done this and never noticed a fishy after taste.
View Quote
Oh, thanks for posting that, I'm definitely going to try it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 11:52:45 AM EDT
[#11]
I like Jarrow products: HERE
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top