Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2017 5:30:35 AM EDT
Back story.

I've always been fat.....always.
This last March I decided to (try) and fix this. I've stuck to a high protein, low carb diet. I have 100% stopped eating any bread, pasta, sweets, etc.
The only thing I drink now is water & black coffee and the only foods I intake are healthy for the most part. Lots of veggies, fruits, nuts and meat.
Im 6'6" and started this March at 304ilbs and am currently at 247ilbs.
I work out 1-3 times per week currently (this is the 1st time in my life I've actually done this) and always drink a protein shake after the workout but have noticed that A- it really fills me up and B- since I don't eat any sweets anymore, they taste pretty damn good.
So...the question is, is there any reason not to drink one on off days as a meal replacement or with a small bit of food as a meal?
Even if It may be 5-7 days between working out?

Help a fat guy out!
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 5:34:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Tag for info...
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 5:36:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I do; protein drink only/no food for one meal/day.

Especially if you're trying to cut.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 6:01:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Absolutely.  Try to maintain an every other day routine for working out...you'll feel better and your body will look better.  You've already done the hard part...diet.  I like to mix protein shakes with bananas, strawberries, creatine and some crushed ice.  I compliment you on the weight loss and strict diet...shit ain't easy.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 6:02:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Just had one for breakfast.   Part of my weight maintenance strategy.  

Usually water during the day or coffee with a little creamer (30 cal per cup). 1 greek yogurt for lunch.  Dinner varies.

Congrats on the weight loss.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 6:14:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys. 1st goal was 250, next is 230!!!
Between work, kid functions (x2 in different baseball leagues) and the wife on evening shifts) it's hard to find the time to work out.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 12:28:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Food isn't the problem, lifestyle is.

After breakfast and shower, GO OUTSIDE, WALK, stretch and do 5ish sets of push-ups and pullups, walk some more, do some sprints (like 100 yards each), walk, walk, walk, hike.....

Pack a backpack lunch, Eat lunch outside

Don't come back inside until the afternoon (and outside constantly and uninterupted)

Sunlight is the ultimate metabolic booster

Link Posted: 9/28/2017 1:06:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I drank protein shakes for multiple meals after oral surgery last year where I went close to SIX months without my molars.  You know how hard it is to eat real food when you are missing your left and right bottom molars while waiting on the titanium inserts to fuse with your jawbone?  It's pretty damn hard.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 2:31:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Realfitness - food was the problem. I ate like absolute shit my entire life and in 6 months I've made real changes.
While I don't disagree that being outside all day, every day would help, it isn't feasible.
My normal day consists of getting up at 4, working 6 - 4 and as soon as I get home (because my wife works evenings) it's feed kids, go to games, get them showered and in bed (830ish) and then relax for 1.5 - 2 hours before bed myself.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 2:50:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

After breakfast and shower, GO OUTSIDE, WALK, stretch and do 5ish sets of push-ups and pullups, walk some more, do some sprints (like 100 yards each), walk, walk, walk, hike.....

Don't come back inside until the afternoon (and outside constantly and uninterupted)

https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/226166_106229619465447_4339880_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=ceef996f4d0a71f77f2da2bb10a83760&oe=5A4D5F6C
View Quote
BWAHAHAHA!!!

You've spouted some impressive bullshit over the years, but sunlight as a metabolism booster?  Awesome.  I'm going to open the curtains and lose weight.  I'm sure it's sunlight that helping the metabolism.  Good analysis there sparky.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 2:50:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Realfitness - food was the problem. I ate like absolute shit my entire life and in 6 months I've made real changes.
While I don't disagree that being outside all day, every day would help, it isn't feasible.
My normal day consists of getting up at 4, working 6 - 4 and as soon as I get home (because my wife works evenings) it's feed kids, go to games, get them showered and in bed (830ish) and then relax for 1.5 - 2 hours before bed myself.
View Quote
Yea I guess if you mean like absolute junk food. Processed sugar is the worst of the worst.

Normal meal for me is: chicken and rice with onion in vegitable oil, some fruit

I also enjoy a good steak or chicken wings. Some chips and/or fries too.

Yikes about your day, yea that kind of schedule is tough for health.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 2:53:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
BWAHAHAHA!!!

You've spouted some impressive bullshit over the years, but sunlight as a metabolism booster?  Awesome.  I'm going to open the curtains and lose weight.  I'm sure it's sunlight that helping the metabolism.  Good analysis there sparky.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/226166_106229619465447_4339880_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=ceef996f4d0a71f77f2da2bb10a83760&oe=5A4D5F6C
BWAHAHAHA!!!

"BWAHAHHHAA"?....

U 12 bro?

Yea if you knew anything about biochemistry you would know your body increases adrenalin and glycogen uptake when your outside because it associates darkness with sleeping time.

Try lifting weights in the dark and tell me how that goes.

Or post some pics macho man.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 3:13:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

"BWAHAHHHAA"?....

U 12 bro?

Yea if you knew anything about biochemistry you would know your body increases adrenalin and glycogen uptake when your outside because it associates darkness with sleeping time.

View Quote
Sunlight is great and healthy. Fitness is built from diet and your program....period. Also, I've hit some pretty impressive personal record in my garage gym and in dark corners of gyms. Again, sun is healthy and all, but it's certainly not what is going to make a fat guy fit...that's diet and exercise.

OP, nice work. You got some good advice here, keep after it! I will occasionally replace a meal with a shake, but usually add a little peanut butter for fat.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 3:19:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Sunlight is great and healthy. Fitness is built from diet and your program....period. Also, I've hit some pretty impressive personal record in my garage gym and in dark corners of gyms. Again, sun is healthy and all, but it's certainly not what is going to make a fat guy fit...that's diet and exercise.

OP, nice work. You got some good advice here, keep after it! I will occasionally replace a meal with a shake, but usually add a little peanut butter for fat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"BWAHAHHHAA"?....

U 12 bro?

Yea I guess I should clerify, sunlight alone isn't what I'm saying.

It's outdoor excersize, uninterupted for long periods of time (especially early in the day)
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 3:28:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It's outdoor excersize, uninterupted for long periods of time (especially early in the day)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"BWAHAHHHAA"?....

U 12 bro?

Which is also nice, but just not realistic for a large portion of the population. So with that said, a good diet paired with a good workout program will work absolute wonders and meet whatever goal someone has, and yeah I can post pics of what lifting in a garage can do if required.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 3:29:05 PM EDT
[#15]
During hunting season, protein and fruit shakes are the only thing I can stomach at 4 am.   I have always struggled with energy levels in the morning, especially during cold November.

Yes, they are awesome, I hunted further and felt more energized last season.  The protein shakes made a noticeable difference including mental alertness.  I still ate my usual diet of sandwiches, steak, salads, mashed potatoes and fried eggs.

They also help people lose weight.  By putting better food in your body, the shakes stifle cravings for junk food and candy.  I know a guy who lost almost 70 lbs by subscribing to a protein shake regiment.  He also worked out/exercised.  That's really important, as others mentioned.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 6:52:40 PM EDT
[#16]
I eat 4 eggs and a protein shake in the morning. I stay full on that forever.
I dont see a problem with it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 7:07:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Back story.

I've always been fat.....always.
This last March I decided to (try) and fix this. I've stuck to a high protein, low carb diet. I have 100% stopped eating any bread, pasta, sweets, etc.
The only thing I drink now is water & black coffee and the only foods I intake are healthy for the most part. Lots of veggies, fruits, nuts and meat.
Im 6'6" and started this March at 304ilbs and am currently at 247ilbs.
I work out 1-3 times per week currently (this is the 1st time in my life I've actually done this) and always drink a protein shake after the workout but have noticed that A- it really fills me up and B- since I don't eat any sweets anymore, they taste pretty damn good.
So...the question is, is there any reason not to drink one on off days as a meal replacement or with a small bit of food as a meal?
Even if It may be 5-7 days between working out?

Help a fat guy out!
View Quote

Stop going 5-7 days between working out! It's much too long, you're losing the training effect, and not getting much if any benefit.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 7:07:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Which is also nice, but just not realistic for a large portion of the population. So with that said, a good diet paired with a good workout program will work absolute wonders and meet whatever goal someone has, and yeah I can post pics of what lifting in a garage can do if required.
View Quote
I've pretty much been hiding in the shade for the last 16 years, even if I'm outside and it's 40 degrees you'll find me in the shade.

However, I have heard of doing workouts with very high levels of oxygen, a mild workout gets the crazy high O2 saturation to move around in the body better and cures everything from baldness to body odor.  I'm tempted to try in in my greenhouse...
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 7:16:09 PM EDT
[#19]
I've been using this stuff with great success. Seems to last longer than a normal shake. Could taste a lot better, but nothing says you can't add something to it. At about $1.80 shake the price isn't too bad either.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 8:50:19 PM EDT
[#20]
I've found that drinking your calories is an easy way to get a lot of calories. Whether that is your desired effect or not it is something to be mindful of.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 9:08:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Personally I find protein shakes unsatisfying compared to whole food, but I still use them for what they are....a SUPPLEMENT. Great for a quick, fast absorbing dose of protein first thing in the morning (along with my breakfast), and immediately post workout. If you’re having trouble hitting your protein intake goals from your normal diet, they’re great. Otherwise I’d rather eat my calories, especially on a cut.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 11:59:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
The only problem with your advice is that I have a UV allergy and recently had some precancerous lesions removed from my skin.  The only way I can go out in the sun is with SPF 50 (or higher) sunscreen applied to my exposed skin.  Every single year I panic thinking that I will be diagnosed with melanoma after having lesions removed.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 3:25:53 AM EDT
[#23]
I think they are a poor choice for meal substitution unless you struggle to get enough calories/eat enough. Reason being they are typically high in calories for how filling they are. (Or aren't). Protein shakes are meant to supplement your diet, especially if you don't get enough protein/calories. Not 'replace' it.

With that said a good protein that's low in carbs and sugar isn't a bad idea. I find muscle pharm combat powder to be the tastiest I've tried yet with reasonable macro's for it.

Quoted:
I eat 4 eggs and a protein shake in the morning. I stay full on that forever.
I dont see a problem with it.
View Quote
I'd be hungry again in two hours. I gotta have carbs to stay full.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 6:03:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top