Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2017 4:14:02 PM EDT
I'm not a huge guy by any means -- 6'1 185-190lbs. 34x34 inseam but long-ish arms and torso -- but my wife says "I dress like a 5 year old" and need to stop wearing tee-shirts for every occasion. The biggest stumbling block is finding things larger in the chest/shoulders, narrow through the waist, and long enough to conceal my pistol. That's proving difficult and the primary reason why I cycle through the same 5-6 shirts.  What's worked for you?  It seems the style of cut has gravitated towards the waif skinny or the morbid obese.  I just need some 3/4 sleeve shirts, polos, henleys, that sort of thing.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 4:23:00 PM EDT
[#1]
https://store.ar15.com/product.html?cat=2&pr=724
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 4:45:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm not a huge guy by any means -- 6'1 185-190lbs. 34x34 inseam but long-ish arms and torso -- but my wife says "I dress like a 5 year old" and need to stop wearing tee-shirts for every occasion. The biggest stumbling block is finding things larger in the chest/shoulders, narrow through the waist, and long enough to conceal my pistol. That's proving difficult and the primary reason why I cycle through the same 5-6 shirts.  What's worked for you?  It seems the style of cut has gravitated towards the waif skinny or the morbid obese.  I just need some 3/4 sleeve shirts, polos, henleys, that sort of thing.
View Quote

It's tough.  Even Underarmor shirts are all over the place, some fit really well then the next one is crap.  I've had dress shirts that could double as a circus tent but barely fit at the neck and shoulders.

I just buy two every time I find something that fits, pants are just as bad ime.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 4:47:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Made to Measure will solve all your problems.

Maybe this will help.

Dress and casual shirts

I have not bought from them, but they seem to be well thought of, and they sell a shit load of shirts.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 4:48:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I am very similar build to you and believe it or not Carhartt seems to be the only thing that looks "right" on me.

Dress shirts I usually go with Express with a couple of their different cuts.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 4:49:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Lands End "tailor fit" shirts.

They are great.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 5:03:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It's tough.  Even Underarmor shirts are all over the place, some fit really well then the next one is crap.  I've had dress shirts that could double as a circus tent but barely fit at the neck and shoulders.

I just buy two every time I find something that fits, pants are just as bad ime.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Nike is the same way. Had a couple activewear shirts that were great, I went to re-buy them maybe a year later and they're all for middle-aged potbellies with bird chests. Dunno wtf happened. The single UA shirt I wear is a large but might as well be cut for a 5'6" tall guy with how short it is on my torso.

Quoted:
I am very similar build to you and believe it or not Carhartt seems to be the only thing that looks "right" on me.

Dress shirts I usually go with Express with a couple of their different cuts.
Hadn't ever thought of checking Carhartt, thanks.

Quoted:
Lands End "tailor fit" shirts.

They are great.
Will try, thanks.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 1:34:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Tailor fit or slim fit most of mine.

Or I'll shop regular cuts on the clearance racks and go have them tailored.  works best for button downs obviously.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 8:01:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Good advice I copied from a clothes buying thread on the Starting Strength forum (couldn't find the link).  I've found the Nordstrom/Rack shirts mentioned to be a good option for me (6-02, 200lb, 32" waist, long legs and arms).

How do you get your pants tailored? Great question! I've had some success getting my pants tailored in two visits, instead of one. First
visit I go and have the seat let out and the waist taken in, and tell
them to NOT TOUCH THE GODDAMN HEMS. On the second visit, if the hip area
has been accurately fitted, THEN I tell them to hem the bottoms (full
break, obviously). I split it into two steps because whatever length
they mark for the hem at the same time they're doing the top adjustments
will NO LONGER BE THE RIGHT MARK after the adjustments are complete,
and once your pant legs are too short, you're out of luck. I have had
too many nice pairs of slacks ruined trying to do this all in one step.
Life is too short to walk around in slacks that are too short,
especially when your greater butt and thigh mass lifts the pant legs
even higher when you walk and you end up looking like you're wearing
highwaters to a client meeting.

Also, what kind of slacks are you buying? I have a preferred brand, both
for more casual khakis and for dressier wool slacks. Ready? Kirkland
brand. FROM COSTCO. NO, I HAVEN'T LOST MY MIND. My tailor agrees that
the quality of the material is comparable to the slacks I used to get
during the Nordstrom half-yearly sale for ~$130, except at Costco, they
only cost $49. And the khakis are something like $29. The difference is
in the cost structure of developing and distributing the goods, as well
as in the manufacturing tolerance of the creation of the pants--which
you don't care about, because you're getting them tailored anyways!
Trust me, this is an awesome deal.

BONUS UPPER BODY SECTION: Now that you're looking fly as hell in your
$65-70 pants-plus-tailoring fitted flat-front dress slacks, you're gonna
need a nice button-down to go with it. If you're like most athletes,
you have a fairly large discrepancy between your shoulder/chest girth
and your waist size, which is not reflected in the cut of most dress
shirts. This means that if you're buying shirts with broad enough
shoulders, you're left with an extra couple square feet of fabric around
your waist that everyone seems to think they can just tuck into their
pants. Spoiler alert: you can't.

Aside from buying tailored shirts, which are pretty expensive and I've
never thought were worth the money, you can get shirts with a 5" drop
(instead of the more standard 0-2") from Nordstrom Rack. They're either
marketed as Nordstrom Trim Fit or Rack Trim Fit, and they run $25-30 for
a shirt IDENTICAL to the shirts that go for $50-70 at a Nordstrom.
You'd be amazed how much better of a fit you get from taking a few
inches out of the waist of a shirt.

View Quote
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 9:27:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Tag. I just lost 35lb, so I'm in the market for some new threads

5'08 196 down to 160. All my Express dress shirts look like tents, I was broad shouldered for my proportions anyways
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 11:16:58 AM EDT
[#10]
I went and got a Medium Tall from Lands End that fit pretty good, and a Carhartt flannel in medium tall that also fits pretty good. Still a little narrow around chest and shoulders but otherwise much better than what else I've bought. Thanks for the recommendations!
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 12:31:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I went and got a Medium Tall from Lands End that fit pretty good, and a Carhartt flannel in medium tall that also fits pretty good. Still a little narrow around chest and shoulders but otherwise much better than what else I've bought. Thanks for the recommendations!
View Quote
Since you started this thread I found myself shopping for pants at a western store (hick town Utah, I was there for a 4H horse competition and my daughter needed boots).  I saw a rack of Cinch pants, they have a variety of styles and I was able to find pants that fit in both the thighs/butt and waist for the first time in years.  I've been buying 36-38" waist and folding the extra waistband mileage under my belt, but the Cinch and a pair of double-front Carharts both fit in the waist.

As the post a few up mentioned, even though I buy the correct length of pants it seems they all fit as high-waters.  No longer, these Cinch pants, and to a lesser degree the Carharts, fit really well.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 5:16:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Made to Measure will solve all your problems.

Maybe this will help.

Dress and casual shirts

I have not bought from them, but they seem to be well thought of, and they sell a shit load of shirts.
View Quote
HAHAHAHA-$125 for a casual shirt Yeah- NO
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 12:04:23 PM EDT
[#13]
I go to belk when they have sales and grab the izod brand moisture wicking golf style polos and also usually izod brand henleys. They are better made than most others I've worn (I wear them a lot) and these last. 90% of the time it gets chilly I wear a flannel shirt from wherever. Can't really go wrong with those for CC either. Jeans are either wrangler (most of the time) or lucky (wife insisted I get a "nice" pair of jeans) the Lucky's fit great and I like them, but I hate to spend the money so it's usually wrangler for me lol
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top