Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2017 4:05:52 PM EDT
Not new to working out or fitness blah blah blah...

Powerlifting isn't new to me, but the methodology is. I want to participate in the 2018 or 2019 Ohio Police and Fire Games in this category and want to work toward it. Probably 2019.

I come from a Crossfit background, trained it for several years before becoming an LEO and fell off the wagon. Now I'm a "gym only" -> ""bodybuilder"" but I want to try my hat at powerlifting.

I'm 26, 5'9"180lbs and hate running ...-and I want to get somewhere near 200lbs 'lean-ish' if possible.

Point me to some links, resources etc to help me achieve this goal. Someone out there always knows more than me on a subject so I  here to learn.

I low back squat and am currently looking into learning how to -properly- sumo deadlift.

My big three have never been that great:

Bench: 245 1rm
Deadlift: 365 1rm
Squat: 365 1rm
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 5:33:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag for interest.

Program:  Find a phased periodization program that you can follow for a year.  Something with hypertrophy and strength cycles and a final peaking cycle.

Contest Date:  Reverse plan the entire year to build to that date.  Vacations, work, etc., try to account for and time everything.

Contest Weight:  Pick a weight you'll compete at, but be flexible, if in six months you find you need to go up or down a class, do so.

Confidence Builders/Experience Comps:  Find a couple local comps to do throughout the year, learn the process, get some experience and confidence built up.  Don't train out of your plan for them, just treat it like any training day.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 7:23:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I do 5/3/1. It works. But it's a slow grind.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 7:34:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I was around your age when I got back into lifting, and powerlifting was what I chose. I was a bit heavier than you at same height - but used Stronglift 5x5 as my main structure of lifting until I hit my first wall.

I then used 5/3/1 to cut weight down to 205lbs and hit a 405lb bench pr. It is a slow grind, but damn it gets results.

Check out Dave Tate & EliteFTS for some good content on powerlifting. Take plenty of video of  yourself to critique proper form.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHx1gYTA-Rw

5/3/1 book -
https://www.amazon.com/Simplest-Effective-Training-System-Strength/dp/B00686OYGQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1506036869&sr=8-1&keywords=5%2F3%2F1

Don't skimp on the calories, you're going to need them!
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 5:09:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Ordered Wendler's 5/3/1...I've known about this program since before I can even remember, but have never looked too much into it to really know what it's about.

Looking forward to starting something new.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 5:15:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ordered Wendler's 5/3/1...I've known about this program since before I can even remember, but have never looked too much into it to really know what it's about.

View Quote
I started in 3 months ago and I like it. I was already doing a very similar workout just from experience. I made changes every month as needed and came out in the 5/3/1 ballpark so when I got the book it clicked very quickly.

I started lifting in january and was always strong but very stocky. I was 20 pounds from the state squat record as a highschool junior before I got hurt. 5'9" 200 lbs in highschool and 220ish now.

Got fat for 9 years. After 9 months my maxes are as follows:

bench 205x6 (always my weakest by far)
squat 350x4
deadlift 440x2

And due to 5/3/1. No end of gainz in sight. Still making slow but steady progress where I had peaked a bit before 5/3/1.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 5:53:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've been using the app five3one, pretty handy gibes you bbb and other accessories and lets you pick 2 3 and 4 day a week templates.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 10:50:03 AM EDT
[#7]
I guess I'll be that guy

5/3/1 is garbage for powerlifting...squat and bench frequency is too low, and there's too much emphasis on OHP are the most glaring problems with it

being an LEO, I'm gonna assume that you're a natty. Look at the lifters that are winning USAPL and IPF raw competitions...the majority are running programming that is based on autoregulation...the easiest way to approach that style of training would be Mike Tuchscherer's RTS stuff.  Basing all your training off of percentage of 1rm is just not optimal. Using RPE's (rate of perceived exertion) and adjusting on the fly from set to set during your training session will lead to the most success IMO
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 1:01:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I guess I'll be that guy

5/3/1 is garbage for powerlifting...squat and bench frequency is too low, and there's too much emphasis on OHP are the most glaring problems with it

being an LEO, I'm gonna assume that you're a natty. Look at the lifters that are winning USAPL and IPF raw competitions...the majority are running programming that is based on autoregulation...the easiest way to approach that style of training would be Mike Tuchscherer's RTS stuff.  Basing all your training off of percentage of 1rm is just not optimal. Using RPE's (rate of perceived exertion) and adjusting on the fly from set to set during your training session will lead to the most success IMO
View Quote
Is this advise for someone who has already gone through a few cycles of 5/3/1 and needs to continue their development or for someone who has never done a single cycle?

I think he'd do well from 5/3/1 for a while.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:17:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Is this advise for someone who has already gone through a few cycles of 5/3/1 and needs to continue their development or for someone who has never done a single cycle?

I think he'd do well from 5/3/1 for a while.
View Quote
i just think its a "give a man a fish" vs "teach a man to fish" kinda scenario. almost any program will work for a time, provided nutrition/recovery/hard work are in place...doesn't mean its optimal

learning to autoregulate allows you to maximize your training on days that you feel amazing, while minimizing risk of injury and allowing progression on days that you don't feel amazing

but, I fully realize some people either can't or don't want to have to think about programming, and that's fine too. I'd recommend hiring a trusted coach in that instance
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 3:25:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I believe I have settled on the Madcow 5x5 program. I am going to do an 8 week cycle, re-evaluate my weight (lifts) and do another 8week cycle of it. I have begun reading Wendlers 531 program as well, for maybe after I complet 4-6 months of the Madcow 5x5.

From my limited knowledge on this side of the gym, it seems to make sense to me and hopefully I'll see some progress, as I'm sure I will. I appreciate all the input fellas, I'm still all ears for any advice, but the above is what I am going to roll with for now. Now I need to figure out what accessory work to add without overdoing it, just to hit some weak points. This may take me a few weeks to really dial in and know what may be necessary.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 11:51:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Get the Sheiko app or download the templates online.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 1:04:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I guess I'll be that guy

View Quote
Squatting and benching twice per week has definitely improved my lifts. Once per week felt like I could never really get the technique down.

I use the low-medium-high structure from Chad Smith (the 2nd program described in this video)

Undulating Periodization Strategies | JTSstrength.com
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 12:34:30 AM EDT
[#13]
I had the best luck with conjugate method. Look into westside barbell.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 1:08:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Nose tork

All the power lifter guys on tv use it.
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 5:09:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Where are you at in Ohio? I am near Ashland. This is a great state for powerlifting and I would recommend finding a group of powerlifters to train with.
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 2:21:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Decided not to start my own thread. I decided to challenge myself to compete in a powerlifting comp. There is one at the end of July.
I currently weigh about 250, the brackets are 231 and 263 so I think I'll try to cut down to 230 lbs for competition (I got down to 225 last year, while lifting).

PRs are 300* / 420 / 515
*I haven't hit a heavy BP in a while as I've been having lots of problems with that.

did 5 3 1 for squats and saw decent improvement. Also tried 5 3 1 for deadlifts and saw some gains. Not sure about Bench though, best I ever did on bench was with a Juggernaut program.
Question: Do most comps make you pause at the bottom for squats and bench? I feel like that would make it a lot harder.

I have no delusions of winning anything, I just want to do the best I can and hopefully come close to my PRs at the comp.
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 2:56:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Question: Do most comps make you pause at the bottom for squats and bench? I feel like that would make it a lot harder.
View Quote
No for squats but yes for benches. You will get a press command at which point you can press the bar off your chest.
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 8:54:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Delete
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top