Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2017 9:45:44 PM EDT
My oldest asked if he can come lift with me.  I think he might be a little too young.  8th grade, and has not hit puberty yet.  With wrestling season starting in December, I don't want him to bulk up either.

My kids are at usually in sports year-round, so I'm not worried about getting them to do something.

So, how old were your kids when you took them to the gym, and what did you have them do?
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 12:00:04 AM EDT
[#1]
What is this "gym" you are referring to?
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 12:15:22 AM EDT
[#2]
We play minecraft while resting between sets.

My 6 year old daughter almost deadlifted 5x her bodyweight.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 12:35:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
My oldest asked if he can come lift with me.  I think he might be a little too young.  8th grade, and has not hit puberty yet.  With wrestling season starting in December, I don't want him to bulk up either.

My kids are at usually in sports year-round, so I'm not worried about getting them to do something.

So, how old were your kids when you took them to the gym, and what did you have them do?
View Quote

If he wants to it's fine.
He is not going to bulk up. It's not as easy to bulk up as some people seem to think. If it was, we'd all look like Arnold.
There's no issues with "growth" either, that's outdated BS from young kids that were pushed WAY too hard.

Strong legs, back, chest and arms will help him a lot in wrestling. Guess how to get there?

My kids have been sporadically doing squats, deads, presses since they were about 10. Not real religiously, but they do them.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 2:08:03 PM EDT
[#4]
If my girls get into JV or Varsity sports I'll offer to show them how to use the weights to prepare for pre-seasons.

Seems kind of pointless before the mid teens though. Nothing wrong with it, but I would rather they just went out and rode bikes, ran around, and did kid stuff until puberty was in full swing and they could best utilize progressive overload.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 7:04:05 PM EDT
[#5]
My girls have been doing CrossFit Kids programming since they were 11....just turned 13.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 4:35:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks, gents.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/202299/IMG_2685-309447.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/202299/IMG_2685-309447.JPG
Is that an Elsa dress?

Quoted:

If he wants to it's fine.
He is not going to bulk up. It's not as easy to bulk up as some people seem to think. If it was, we'd all look like Arnold.
There's no issues with "growth" either, that's outdated BS from young kids that were pushed WAY too hard.

Strong legs, back, chest and arms will help him a lot in wrestling. Guess how to get there?

My kids have been sporadically doing squats, deads, presses since they were about 10. Not real religiously, but they do them.
We don't?!
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 5:52:10 PM EDT
[#7]
They naturally gravitated to the basement gym at around 6yo but the commercial gym every now and again starting at 8yo.

I make it fun and not work and there is no set schedule, they just usually want to participate when I'm in there and they happen to pay attention to what I'm doing. 

The positive is that just today my 10yo's afternoon teacher reduced homework if someone could do more good form pushups in a row than he (the teacher) could. Teacher did 50 and my 10yo knocked out 70. The class was happy and so was my son. He told me as soon as he got off the bus.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 5:59:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
They naturally gravitated to the basement gym at around 6yo but the commercial gym every now and again starting at 8yo.

I make it fun and not work and there is no set schedule, they just usually want to participate when I'm in there and they happen to pay attention to what I'm doing.
View Quote
Mine can't stay away if I'm working out. Especially the 5 year old. I got her some 2 lb dumbbells and a couple cheap bands to mess with, but she talks non stop while I'm trying to push a set of 5 and has caused me to fail more than once so far, little shit head.

I want to include them, but at the same time, it's my 45 window to work and sweat, so I told them they have to at least stay off the mats so they don't get hurt while I'm lifting.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 7:47:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks, gents.

Is that an Elsa dress?

We don't?!
View Quote
I don't...

Link Posted: 10/12/2017 11:46:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 12:38:57 AM EDT
[#11]
At our gym kids have to be 12 to lift with parents. They all started on their 12thbirthday.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top