Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2017 4:08:37 PM EDT
28 days later I have the body fat, speed, and endurance of a rage zombie!

Not quite.

It has been just about a month of TRT, Starting Strength, and "dieting" (will elaborate later on).  Numbers:

Most the composition numbers are from my bathroom scale; the initial %BF matches what I got from the TRT doc so I assume it is ball-park accurate.

warm up reps per http://warmupreps.com/#starting-strength

A month later with negligible weight change but strength noticeably approved.  While I am beat most of the day after a workout, the day of (and up until) a workout I feel great -- less back pain, more limber, moving about the day is easier, sciatica seldom bothers me.  I know my diet is shit -- in the beginning I was doing the worst possible hybrid of IF/keto:  no carbs before 1 PM, then anything I wanted between 1P and 9P :-/   Obviously that isn't going to make me any healthier.  I have been better about carbs the last two weeks per the pee strips am generally in ketosis (except for weekend BBQ's & beer).  

At my weight I feel like I just need to drop pounds.  Shit, if I lost 50 pounds my squat would jump almost that much without getting any stronger.  Obviously a caloric deficit would mean "you are not doing the program", but with the "strength" of pushing this girth around all day maybe I shouldn't be concentrating on heavy lifts.  I'm also getting to the point where my work sets are hard, from the first set/first rep to the very last I'm grunting and breathing pretty heavy.  This leaves me fearful that I may injure something.  

One Starting Strength roadblock is getting the kids back to school:  I already missed today's workout, not sure if I'll get a workout in on Wednesday, and with my oldest's soccer & ball schedule and #2's karate schedule I may be lucky to get to the gym two nights a week.  I may switch up to working out at 5AM, but I'll be "mid fast" and I don't want to walk around work like a hunched-over cripple for the first half of the day.  I know I am making excuses, but there is just too much going on elsewhere in my life right now.

Thoughts?  Criticisms?  I have more stuff to try and get done today so I will check back in later tonight.

Thanks for your time.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 5:19:36 PM EDT
[#1]
good on you for getting most of your ducks in a row right off. your tracking will pay off later.
If I were you and I wanted to drop 50 lbs. Id just do keto, get nice a settled in on it and go cruise control.
One reason I say this is that is works, keto will make you drop weight and two if you cant workout regularly you wont be able to get that burn going.

Now if you do not want to do keto, only eat your carbs after your workout. you will have to find out how many you really need and this may depend on the workout for the day.
These are just going to be used for glycogen replenishment. You need to get them from good sources not like birthday cake etc. . Vegetables are your friend here.
drink the heck out of some water too. If  you arent tracking your meals, start it right now. Plan them out in advance. you can still make progress, albeit small, on a deficit. I dropped 1k calories and still managed to put +10 lbs on my bench 1RM.

I completely understand the trying to workout around kids thing. I literally put 2 down for a nap, get to the basement and get to work. I dont always get done before they wake up but typically I do.
you are just going to have to plan ahead and find the best time. Home gym was the best thing for me. I can listen to what music I want and dont have to leave the house. Dont forget about simple things you can do
at home to at least have some progress when you cant hit the gym. all different push up variants, chin ups, plank, get creative! Just think activity = burn and that is what you want.

Also, starting strength/5x5 etc programs arent always ideal for weight loss. If it were me you need to add in something at the end that keeps your heart at a steady rate. This is calorie burn mode.
Lifting uses calories but its more of a rep 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 rest............ rep 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 rest........... Where as say kettle bell swings is just a constant engagement. make sense?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top