Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/4/2017 11:14:23 AM EDT
Post your daily training!

Currently training for my first triathlon (sprint distance).   Managed a run with the pup today.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 11:19:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Pic of "running" partner

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 7:04:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 10:17:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I want to do a tri sprint, I think they are called. Basically a short one to get my feet wet. I can swim, no problem there, it's just the looooonnngggg swimming that I suck at.

Do people ever side stroke during a tri?
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 11:33:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I think people do all kind of strokes during them.  I plan on the back stroke if necessary.  The tri (my first) at the end of the month is a sprint so only a 500m swim so should be able to do with just a freestyle stroke.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 10:33:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I want to do a tri sprint, I think they are called. Basically a short one to get my feet wet. I can swim, no problem there, it's just the looooonnngggg swimming that I suck at.

Do people ever side stroke during a tri?
View Quote
Training for my first tri. Gonna do an ironman next year.

I suuuuck at swimming. Terrible form. I'm told people will use all kinds of strokes just to mix it up if you're not a real stud at it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 2:43:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Training for my first tri. Gonna do an ironman next year.

I suuuuck at swimming. Terrible form. I'm told people will use all kinds of strokes just to mix it up if you're not a real stud at it.
View Quote
I like you're style going from sprint to ironman in a year!  I'll be going for a half ironman next year after my first tri sprint this year.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 2:47:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Harvey threw a wrench in my workouts. I have a 5k in a few weeks and a tri in little over a month.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 6:32:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I like you're style going from sprint to ironman in a year!  I'll be going for a half ironman next year after my first tri sprint this year.
View Quote
Oh I'm not doing a sprint first! Diving in deep haha.

May do a half before if the budget allows.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 6:56:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow, typical arfcommer, you got both (impressive and crazy)

Are you going to finish or want to be competitive?
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 7:15:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Wow, typical arfcommer, you got both (impressive and crazy)

Are you going to finish or want to be competitive?
View Quote
I'd like to turn in a decent time but I've got no false ideas that it'll be easy. The swim is my biggest issue, but I'm hitting the pool as often as work allows.

I'm pretty decent on the bike and I've been running ultra-marathons for years.

ETA: picked up a Trek SC and will probably give myself a set of Flo wheels for Christmas.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:35:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Let's liven this thread back up.  Went for a swim this morning at the local gym pool.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 8:25:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 11:36:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Tag. Just started to get back into tri's after 2 years off. 
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 8:10:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Completed my first sprint tri on Saturday.  Had a goal time of 1:45 and finished in 1:42. Not bad for a first timer.  I definitely have room for improvement.  

The swim was fairly easy.  It was 500m but I went a little slower than expected due to all the people in the way.

The bike was harder than expected because I trained on flat ground and the first 7 miles of the bike leg had some serious hills. I finished the 15 miles is 55 min. I'll train on hills through the winter to next season.

I started cramping on the run in my right calf so had to walk some. Finished the 5k in 29 minutes. I'm typically around 25 minutes but getting better.  

All in all, it was fun to do and I can't wait to do more next year.  I've started training to do some longer distance next year as well.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 6:39:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Back to training. Working on a 12 week Olympic triathlon training plan. Swam yesterday and this run today with hill sprints mixed in...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 11:48:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Keep it up!
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 6:32:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Swim drill morning

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 8:51:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Got the bikes out this weekend. Did 103 miles on the road bike Saturday and 25 miles on the tri bike Sunday. Ass backwards I know but I was pacing a slower friend Saturday.

I have to get my ass back in the pool. Been over a month.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 3:27:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Got the bikes out this weekend. Did 103 miles on the road bike Saturday and 25 miles on the tri bike Sunday. Ass backwards I know but I was pacing a slower friend Saturday.

I have to get my ass back in the pool. Been over a month.
View Quote
Just thinking about riding 103 miles makes me sore!
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 3:28:47 PM EDT
[#20]
The last few days worth of training...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 11:56:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Just thinking about riding 103 miles makes me sore!
View Quote
Wasn’t bad at all. Wish I had your swimming skills!
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 6:27:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Yesterday's run and today's bike:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 10:29:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Got 50 in on the bike this morning on 4 hours sleep. Just as a storm was rolling in. I see the value of disc brakes on road bikes after this summer.

Not gonna get much done the next couple of weeks because of work, which sucks.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 3:03:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Got 50 in on the bike this morning on 4 hours sleep. Just as a storm was rolling in. I see the value of disc brakes on road bikes after this summer.

Not gonna get much done the next couple of weeks because of work, which sucks.
View Quote
So you rode your bike for almost as long as you slept?
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 3:06:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Last few days of training. Really enjoying my rest day today

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 4:51:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

So you rode your bike for almost as long as you slept?
View Quote
Haha, little faster than that thankfully.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 5:35:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Saturday's run and Sunday's bike:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 10:40:17 AM EDT
[#28]
signed up for Ohio 70.3

Anyone else?
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 10:45:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
signed up for Ohio 70.3

Anyone else?
View Quote
I would give the Rev3 Cedar Point race a long hard look before registering for an M-dot race.  It was my last tri, back in 2011.  Great race, awesome support, not ridiculously crowded, and athletes, families, and volunteers had exclusive access to the park (~1/3 of the rides running) on Saturday.  No waiting in lines for the rides.  

I'm originally from that neck of the woods, across the line in PA and really enjoyed the race.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 11:44:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I would give the Rev3 Cedar Point race a long hard look before registering for an M-dot race.  It was my last tri, back in 2011.  Great race, awesome support, not ridiculously crowded, and athletes, families, and volunteers had exclusive access to the park (~1/3 of the rides running) on Saturday.  No waiting in lines for the rides.  

I'm originally from that neck of the woods, across the line in PA and really enjoyed the race.
View Quote
I think Rev3 is cancelled in cedar point indefinitely. Cedar Point management I guess didnt want to do it anymore.

I really liked RedMan in Oklahoma as an M Dot alternative. they are getting harder to find @H46driver
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 12:23:15 PM EDT
[#31]
@Yellowfin

What app and tracker/gps unit are you running?  How do you like it?

I need to get back on the training bandwagon and run some sprints next spring.

I did send you an IM.

Red
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 1:31:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I think Rev3 is cancelled in cedar point indefinitely. Cedar Point management I guess didnt want to do it anymore.

I really liked RedMan in Oklahoma as an M Dot alternative. they are getting harder to find @H46driver
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is a bummer.  I googled it, saw that the web site was up, and assumed that the race was still going.

After your post, I see that 2015 was the last year with results posted.  It was a fun race, good Wx, and pretty fast course.
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 1:40:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
@Yellowfin

I did send you an IM.

Red
View Quote
Not sure if he answered you but it's a garmin 920xt watch and the garmin connect app.  Same one I've been using. It works well for all three sports and the connect app automatically forwards to Strava app if you prefer Strava.
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 10:26:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Not sure if he answered you but it's a garmin 920xt watch and the garmin connect app.  Same one I've been using. It works well for all three sports and the connect app automatically forwards to Strava app if you prefer Strava.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@Yellowfin

I did send you an IM.

Red
All of the above.   Responded to the IM today, always on mobile so didn’t see it until today.  My training for past two weeks has been non existent.  Need to get back in the wagon this weekend.
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 12:14:44 PM EDT
[#35]
It got real as of tuesday...I signed up for the Augusta half ironman. Now I really have to train!  
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 6:35:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
It got real as of tuesday...I signed up for the Augusta half ironman. Now I really have to train!  
View Quote
I’ll be right beside you the entire way, slightly in front, but basically beside you
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 9:49:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Well I did my first and second triathlon last summer here in Detroit. Done all the running distances up to and including 4 marathons. Wanted to try something different. Did a couple of Duathlons, finally learning how to push it on the bike. I used to run hard, go for a bit of a Leisure ride then run hard again. But this year I decided to try the Tri's. Improving my cycling. Hopefully now this winter I moved into the gym and pool my swim can feel less like a chore.
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 10:36:49 AM EDT
[#38]
I signed up for Ironman Louisville '18!
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 5:31:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
Awesome!!!
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 10:30:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
Dibs on tri related gear!  I'd call dibs on guns and ammo but triathlon is a more expensive hobby
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 8:36:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
Peter Shankman- I'm Training for an Ironman #PeterShankman #Ironman

In all seriousness, I wish you the best. Finishing will be something to be proud of.
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 7:42:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Got a new (to me) bike Wednesday and got my first bike fit done today.  I never realized how important a professional bike fitting is, it made such a difference in comfort and I anticipate seeing better performance now also.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 2:44:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Back to the grind. Starting a plan for an Olympic tri.  It was 10 degrees this morning so I did a trainer ride.  In case you didn't know, trainer rides will eat your soul from pure boredom!!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 12:55:45 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Back to the grind. Starting a plan for an Olympic tri.  It was 10 degrees this morning so I did a trainer ride.  In case you didn't know, trainer rides will eat your soul from pure boredom!!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/295738/IMG_0511-408904.JPG
View Quote

Soul crushing you say......wouldn't know
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 2:35:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e394/erikhamel/IMAG0284_zps14ec99d7.jpg

Soul crushing you say......wouldn't know
View Quote
Your picture doesn't show up but I'm guessing since you're in Rhode Island and it's winter that it was a picture of torture on a trainer!
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 4:00:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Did 25 miles in 90 mins on the trainer today.  Wanted to join the soul crushing!!
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 12:14:57 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Your picture doesn't show up but I'm guessing since you're in Rhode Island and it's winter that it was a picture of torture on a trainer!
View Quote
It's been a while since I posted using photobucket and didn't realize it no longer works on 3rd party hosting without an upgraded membership.

I actually have a pretty sweet set up for the trainer. 2 fans, bike is linked with Trainer road on a laptop and the TV with bluetooth headphones because the fans and the trainer make anything hard to hear while pedaling. Typically do about 40-80 miles/week on the trainer during the winter depending on what race I'm training for.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 12:59:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
It's been a while since I posted using photobucket and didn't realize it no longer works on 3rd party hosting without an upgraded membership.

I actually have a pretty sweet set up for the trainer. 2 fans, bike is linked with Trainer road on a laptop and the TV with bluetooth headphones because the fans and the trainer make anything hard to hear while pedaling. Typically do about 40-80 miles/week on the trainer during the winter depending on what race I'm training for.
View Quote
I should get a fan.  Right now my setup is in front of my tv in the bonus room which is the hottest room in my house. I swear like a whore in church in hell.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 1:14:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Anyone have hip bursitis before?

Sitting at ortho now

I have one half and one full scheduled this year so I'm kind of freaking out
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 3:07:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Anyone have hip bursitis before?

Sitting at ortho now

I have one half and one full scheduled this year so I'm kind of freaking out
View Quote
Don't know anything about it, but good luck and I hope you heal quickly!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top