Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2017 6:22:14 PM EDT
Like the title states, I'm looking for any input on which lifting belt and knee sleeves to get. I'm a novice, looking to get back into lifting after foolishly slacking off over summer. Perhaps there are some Labor Day sales to be had?

As for the belt, 3" or 4"? Any specific brand? From what I have read, I should be looking for a 13mm thickness belt made out of leather/suede, but am open to any input on brand or specs. It appears that 4" is more common, but I have read it can be a bit uncomfortable on deadlifts, so that is why I question which size.

EliteFTS Belt Sale

As for the knee sleeves, it seems SBD and 7mm blue Rehbands are the most popular. I'm after warmth and support, not really getting any 'help' from them in terms of adding weight. In one of the threads here I saw Strong House Project Sleeves mentioned. I am cursed with crunchy old man knees, so I want to take care of them. What does the hive recommend?

My budget has limits, but I guess it depends on the quality of the gear. Buy once, cry once and all of that... Also, if you really want to bring the hurt, are there any deals on squat shoes right now? I currently am happy with my Chucks, but thought I'd ask to get that extra ARFCOM wallet drain.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 7:34:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Can't go wrong with Rehbands. I don't own a pair of SBD's, but friends have said they run a little tight. I usually roll some BioFreeze on my knees and then pull the sleeves over. All the heat you can stand.

Lots of good belt options, I use a Titan Toro lever 13mm, and its great. Levers do break, so go with a manufacturer that stands behind their product.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 8:24:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I use Rehbands and a 3" Powerlifting Belt from Best Belts.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 8:50:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I was utterly disappointed with EliteFTS's belts. The two they sent me were complete shit.  Glue everywhere, bad rivets and leather much thinner than spec.  When in doubt, an Inzer Forever Belt (10mm single prong) is a great general purpose belt.

For knee sleeves bust out the Platinum card and go straight for SBD's. If your budget is limited Spud Inc would be my second choice.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:04:55 PM EDT
[#4]
You have the right idea with the sleeves. For the belt get an Inzer forever lever belt 13mm. There are no questions on the belt. It is the one belt you have to have. Later on you can get a custom belt from pioneer, but the inzer is a must have.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 11:13:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You have the right idea with the sleeves. For the belt get an Inzer forever lever belt 13mm. There are no questions on the belt. It is the one belt you have to have. Later on you can get a custom belt from pioneer, but the inzer is a must have.
View Quote
No doubt a lever belt is a must have for competition, a single prong is much better for general use. Easy to adjust and not so stiff as to be uncomfortable. Now if we had an unlimited budget the new SBD lever belt is where it's at. Hard to beat a lever belt that is adjustable without a screwdriver.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 12:58:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I would concur with the Inzer 13mm lever belt. It's a great belt.

As for knee sleeves, I would avoid anything neoprene if you want true support. Yes, the will provide warmth but if you want something that will help you out of the "hole" so to speak, you need the triple-ply Crusher knee sleeves from LiftingLarge.com

I gave away my Rehbands and SBDs after wearing these sleeves. If you want compression and rebound without needing to move into knee wraps, you can't go wrong with these. Everyone I've turned them onto (even a couple guys on here) have loved them....

http://www.liftinglarge.com/White-Crusher-Knee-And-Elbow-Sleeves-3-ply
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 1:13:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
No doubt a lever belt is a must have for competition, a single prong is much better for general use. Easy to adjust and not so stiff as to be uncomfortable. Now if we had an unlimited budget the new SBD lever belt is where it's at. Hard to beat a lever belt that is adjustable without a screwdriver.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't waste your money on the SBD belt unless you want to spend over $250 for a belt

If you want a quick release belt that is easily adjustable, get the Longhorn Quick Release belt (made in Texas)...

https://titansupport.com/product/longhorn-suede-quick-release-belt/
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 11:45:35 AM EDT
[#8]
I will look into some of those recommendations. The description of the Best Belt Powerlifting belt sounds like what I am after, but Inzer has a couple more votes here. I thought about initial quality on a belt, but honestly didn't think about what warranty/backing they would come with for later on down the road. Thank you for all the replies!
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 12:37:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 12:51:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Inzer belt.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 6:53:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Buy once, cry once

Pioneer lever belt and SBD sleeves

In the interest of fairness, I'm using a 10 year old Inzer 10mm lever and it still looks basically brand new. The Pioneer is better quality though
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 10:33:09 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm using a $50 Rogue single prong belt that works perfectly.  I don't know what a fancy belt would do for me, although a lever would be nice for those times when you're really breathing hard and get a little clostrophobic.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 4:07:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Inzer lever belt. 10mm or 13mm, either is fine.  

I love my Mark Bell STrong Sleeves.

Make sure you put in work without the belt (I only use it for deadlifts and squats over 80%), and don't rely on it without proper abdominal bracing.  You must learn properly abdominal bracing.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 4:10:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Can't go wrong with Rehbands. I don't own a pair of SBD's, but friends have said they run a little tight. I usually roll some BioFreeze on my knees and then pull the sleeves over. All the heat you can stand.

Lots of good belt options, I use a Titan Toro lever 13mm, and its great. Levers do break, so go with a manufacturer that stands behind their product.
View Quote
+1 on the Rehbands. They keep your knees warm, but are not so tight that they are constrictive. I've had mine 2 years and they are holding up well.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 10:01:13 AM EDT
[#15]
These. Inzer Gripper
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top