Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2017 11:15:31 AM EDT
Some of you may know me ( on here at least) . But, a quick bit of background:

- 33, been lifting(barbell, kettlebells, tires, hammers, etc) since 20ish
- discovered running was my thing after being a fat ass at 278lbs-24y/o and dropping it the right way to 210 over a couple years
- Hit all the heavy weight PR's that I wanted by 30, along with the injuries
- Still do occasional barbell lifts (squat, dead mainly) with mostly heavy KB work with running/calisthenics
- Very familiar/versed in programs, intensity/volume, etc
- Have competed in amateur events such as Spartan Races, local strength comps, etc

However, this past Friday I had to pay the piper for my little injuries over the years, and did it big lol. Complex posterior tear of the medial meniscus, mild sprain MCL, and a tissue fragment removed from lateral/superior patella. So a partial menisectomy.

I totally underestimated this surgery. So, as I'm laid up, I'm trying to devise a well rounded, comprehensive but realistic program that I can begin once I'm full weight bearing (which as of writing this doesn't seem soon ).

Suggestions, personal experiences, etc welcome.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 12:55:27 PM EDT
[#1]
As someone who had both knees worked on for this in the exact same area by 35, the best answer is DON'T.  Your running is likely a major culprit in why it got this way in the first place.  Personally, I just weightlift now, but if I wanted to do cardio, I would get on a bike or rowing machine.  

You only get "so much" meniscus now, and its taking the same load on less material (stress = load/area FYI) unless you want 2 or more knee replacements in your life.  Some knees just ain't made for running.

ETA:  I re-read this and noted, YOUR injury sounds way worse than mine, I merely just had the meniscus plus a cyst from it being torn partially taken out on one side and just the meniscus trimmed on the other side.  And I still can't run for much today.  Can walk and hike fine, though--running is that extra little "oomph" that is a big no-no on my knees.

What is your GOAL?

Look good?
Be "in shape?"  (what does that even mean, right?)
Aerobic endorphins?

Answer this question first.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 2:21:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for sharing.

My goals are very simple; maintaining cardiovascular health, strength, and mobility. Aesthetics follows function, in my opinion, so not really concerned with that.

The effects of running are widely varied. Most that enjoy running do not attribute running as the culprit, likewise, those that occasionally run but hate it attribute all sorts of ailments to running.

Dedicated runners scoff at the injuries powerlifters induce. Vice versa.

I'm just going to feel it out as I recover. Other than the tear, my menisci looked great. The main cause of injury was planting my foot, while twisting forcefully doing bag work.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 4:06:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for sharing.

My goals are very simple; maintaining cardiovascular health, strength, and mobility. Aesthetics follows function, in my opinion, so not really concerned with that.

The effects of running are widely varied. Most that enjoy running do not attribute running as the culprit, likewise, those that occasionally run but hate it attribute all sorts of ailments to running.

Dedicated runners scoff at the injuries powerlifters induce. Vice versa.

I'm just going to feel it out as I recover. Other than the tear, my menisci looked great. The main cause of injury was planting my foot, while twisting forcefully doing bag work.
View Quote
Good luck, I enjoyed running, but attributed it to that because I never had an "incident" to tear my meniscii (is that plural?) and they were both torn very similarly...if yours can take it, more power to you...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top