Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2017 11:43:58 PM EDT
I've posted her a bit before but here's the backstory.

Changed jobs and got divorced in november, started working out january first after I healed from a wrist surgery. My old job and marriage were killing me. 200ish/90 blood pressure, chronic acid reflux, panic attacks, insomnia, etc. I was in a bad way. 18 or 20 hour days never phased me when needed. I just kept chugging along. I'm a pretty intense and obsessive person but I was starting to fade and that's why I made the life changes. I knew I couldn't sustain it much longer. I felt like I was starting to lose my mind. I would get up at 2am so I could be off by 5 to spend time with the wife and try to save my marriage but it was a fool's errand. My boss forced me out and my wife headed down a dark road.

29 years old, 5'9", was at 265ish. I've always been a big boy, for being a little boy/manlet. Nome sayin??? When I graduated highschool I was a slightly above average athlete, skinny, v taper, used to run 6-12 miles a day and lift weights 5 days a week. I weighed about 210 back then and want to get back to that weight and look. I should probably be 15 to 20 pounds lighter now that i'm older and don't eat a crazy carb laden diet like I did back then.

I did a big no carb, calorie deficit diet from december to may. Lost 70 pounds and got to 195, lost 10 inches off my waist, but couldn't get stronger at all. No gas in the tank. I had nothing and i'm a super high energy guy. I was running 800-1500 calorie deficit a lot of days, I probably only was able to do that due to the stress of my life being over.

Starting eating a lot more carbs and protein, gained back weight to 215 (it's leveled out there) but my waist and stomach still measure the same so it's not terrible weight. I've lost 6 inches off my belly since I started but now i've stalled.

I eat the same thing roughly every day. 2 breakfast burritos (egg, sausage, peppers, onions), 2.5 pounds of chicken (sometimes fish or lean beef when I get tired of chicken), 2 steamer bags of veggies (usually broccoli), a cup of fruit, 2 scoops of protein, 1 scoop of c4 preworkout, and a cheat meal on the weekend.

I'm getting stronger still. I do 20 minutes of cardio and about 60-70 minutes of lifting (5/3/1 currently, was doing my own workout that was very similar before that). I was doing 120-140 minutes of lifting bc I enjoy it but I knew that wasn't sustainable.

But I still feel like i'm stalled on body fat. I'm slowly getting stronger still, but my fat % doesn't seem to change the last 2 months. I still have a belly, 33" waist and 39" belly.

Critiques? I'm open to any constructive criticism, i'm reading about all this as I have time but i'm not an expert. I work out with a guy who was a founder of a supplement company and owned several really successful gyms in california but I don't like to bother him too much about all that.

How long should it take to lose another 6 inches on my belly?  Am I just being impatient? Or am I a fitness dumbo..
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:57:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Well for the workout addicts at work Eat oatmeal for breakfast and lunch and then chicken with something low carb like sweet potatoes for dinner and some protein shacks to curb the snacks. With a lot of supplements throughout the day. Although they are addicted to working out since that is now their addiction instead of alcohol. One is my age early 40's (guy) the other is mid to late 20's (chick) and she says she has to get down to 5% on the BMI which if you look at her she is below that. Yet she is an addict so I kind of get that yet don't since with all the high end narcotics I have had with my many broken bones I never got addicted to anything yet understand that mindset after seeing so many that have gone through that. What is sad is that she looks older than I am and I have many years on her. Yet both do more strength than cardo workouts which helps kill the fat. You just have to balance is.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:01:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well for the workout addicts at work Eat oatmeal for breakfast and lunch and then chicken with something low carb like sweet potatoes for dinner and some protein shacks to curb the snacks. With a lot of supplements throughout the day. Although they are addicted to working out since that is now their addiction instead of alcohol. One is my age early 40's (guy) the other is mid to late 20's (chick) and she says she has to get down to 5% on the BMI which if you look at her she is below that. Yet she is an addict so I kind of get that yet don't since with all the high end narcotics I have had with my many broken bones I never got addicted to anything yet understand that mindset after seeing so many that have gone through that. What is sad is that she looks older than I am and I have many years on her. Yet both do more strength than cardo workouts which helps kill the fat. You just have to balance is.
View Quote
I forgot the mention, I may try to revisit it but I work a physical job (12 to 13 hour days also) and the oatmeal thing left me dead all day. And it tastes like what I would imagine prison assholes taste like.

But i'm open to trying it again. The oatmeal, not the assholes.

I'm around 19ish% body fat right now. I'd like to get to about 14%. Not trying to be crazy rich piana guy, just want to bang more sloots under the age of 23 and feel more energetic.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:45:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Title and post content don't seem to align. Gainz or cut bodyfat? For gainz you are doing it about right although you should probably be getting more fat.

For losing bodyfat cut the fruit and eat less food. Eating more fat will give you plenty of energy but is hard to convert to bodyfat. Or keto for short. Carbs are very easily converted to fat hence the recomendation to cut fruit. Other than that you are mostly keto already if you just eat more fatty meat. Keto mostly works by getting your body to run on it's own fat so if the goal is to lose fat you don't have to eat anywhere near as much as you do.

If you want to keep the strength gains coming eat as you are now most of the time. When deload week comes cut way back on food, try just eating once a day nice fat rich protein as few non fiber carbs as possible.

I know you can't spot train fat but some ab work can help tighten everything up and hold the belly in a bit more.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:55:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Do you track your food in say my fitness pal or similar?
do you track your macros at all?
Id like to hear more details about the lifting you are doing. You listed 5/3/1, what accessory work?

speaking of oatmeal, I love this stuff:
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:28:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Title and post content don't seem to align. Gainz or cut bodyfat? For gainz you are doing it about right although you should probably be getting more fat.

For losing bodyfat cut the fruit and eat less food. Eating more fat will give you plenty of energy but is hard to convert to bodyfat. Or keto for short. Carbs are very easily converted to fat hence the recomendation to cut fruit. Other than that you are mostly keto already if you just eat more fatty meat. Keto mostly works by getting your body to run on it's own fat so if the goal is to lose fat you don't have to eat anywhere near as much as you do.

If you want to keep the strength gains coming eat as you are now most of the time. When deload week comes cut way back on food, try just eating once a day nice fat rich protein as few non fiber carbs as possible.

I know you can't spot train fat but some ab work can help tighten everything up and hold the belly in a bit more.
View Quote
I want to get stronger slowly but keep losing some fat. Im enough of a newb and was so overweight i should still be getting skinnier i reckon.

Im not consuming that many calories so i would think i should lean up. Not much fat either. Im under 3000 easily most days.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:05:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Do you track your food in say my fitness pal or similar?
do you track your macros at all?
Id like to hear more details about the lifting you are doing. You listed 5/3/1, what accessory work?

speaking of oatmeal, I love this stuff:
http://www.quakeroats.com/images/default-source/products/proca-detail-sflb
View Quote
Ill try to post my workout on here tonight or tomorrow night.

I figure my basic dietary breakdown every week or 2 then eat the same thing so i don't have to figure it again.  

Im about 2800 calories usually,  45% protein, 38% carbs and the rest fat
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:59:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I figure my basic dietary breakdown every week or 2 then eat the same thing so i don't have to figure it again.  

View Quote
Since you are coming from being heavier and trying to cut fat I would really recommend a low carb diet. Specifically kill off all the sugars then time whatever carbs you do eat around your lifting. Since your protein intake looks good I would replace the carb calories with things like avacado, salami(or other fatty deli meats), cheese, etc. with a goal of keeping carbs under 100 grams/day(then lowering that number depending on how you feel/results).
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:19:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Since you are coming from being heavier and trying to cut fat I would really recommend a low carb diet. Specifically kill off all the sugars then time whatever carbs you do eat around your lifting. Since your protein intake looks good I would replace the carb calories with things like avacado, salami(or other fatty deli meats), cheese, etc. with a goal of keeping carbs under 100 grams/day(then lowering that number depending on how you feel/results).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I concur with Anvil.

When I'm trying to drop BF% and gain/retain muscle, I keep carbs to about 100 grams/day, half before my lifting workout and half after.  When I'm down to crunch time, I drop that to 50 grams total.  For my purposes, I use white rice, white pasta or potatoes for the carbs.  They burn off faster so you have the energy for the workout and recovery.

I also keep my fats around 100-150 and use them first thing in the morning and with my evening meal.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:41:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I concur with Anvil.

When I'm trying to drop BF% and gain/retain muscle, I keep carbs to about 100 grams/day, half before my lifting workout and half after.  When I'm down to crunch time, I drop that to 50 grams total.  For my purposes, I use white rice, white pasta or potatoes for the carbs.  They burn off faster so you have the energy for the workout and recovery.

I also keep my fats around 100-150 and use them first thing in the morning and with my evening meal.
View Quote
I was under the impression that if i went much below 150 or 175 grams i would lose muscle. Im okay with my strength staying the same for awhile but i don't want to lose any.

Thanks for the input
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:00:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I was under the impression that if i went much below 150 or 175 grams i would lose muscle. Im okay with my strength staying the same for awhile but i don't want to lose any.

Thanks for the input
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I concur with Anvil.

Thanks for the input
Shouldn't lose much, if you keep your protein up.

FWIW, I'm close to 6'1", around 230 right now (got down to around 198 on the last cut).  My macros looked something like this, 250 grams protein/100 grams fat/100 grams carbs.  Towards the end (last 5 weeks) it was 200/50/50.  I'd get one cheat meal per week to reset.

ETA, I should mention, yes your energy and strength may go down, but switching up to a little lighter weights for higher reps and supersets (basically turning your workout into a HIIT lifting session) isn't a horrible thing to do every once in a while.  It'll just feel horrible until you get used to it, lol.  All depends on how shredded up you want to be.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:03:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

FWIW, I'm close to 6'1", around 230 right now (got down to around 198 on the last cut).  My macros looked something like this, 250 grams protein/100 grams fat/100 grams carbs.  Towards the end (last 5 weeks) it was 200/50/50.  I'd get one cheat meal per week to reset.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I concur with Anvil.

Thanks for the input

Okay great.  I'll post my workout soon and get your guys opinion on that.  I think I'm in the ballpark on that but who knows
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:44:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

ETA, I should mention, yes your energy and strength may go down, but switching up to a little lighter weights for higher reps and supersets (basically turning your workout into a HIIT lifting session) isn't a horrible thing to do every once in a while.  It'll just feel horrible until you get used to it, lol.  All depends on how shredded up you want to be.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I concur with Anvil.

Thanks for the input

on your edit

Im still kind of stuck in past. I lifted from age 14 to 19 using an old school pyramid type routine, 10, 8, 6, 4 with the same intensity every week so I'm slowly adapting to other things.  My body is trained to respond to one type of workout so this hiit, 5/3/1, and other assorted tomfoolery is hard to adjust to. But I'm getting there.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 1:14:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Thanks for the input
View Quote
even down around 80-100 grams of protein a day you won't lose much if any muscle. Certainly won't gain much at all at that level. Also if you are pounding down a ton of protein in one meal a lot of it will be turned in to glucose in your body.

I hope you are actually putting up some heavy weight if you are on 531.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:50:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Lol. What?

Sweet potatoes aren't low carb.

BMI isn't a percentage.

Professional female bodybuilders compete at like 10%. There's no way your coworker is cutting to under 5%.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 3:56:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Lol. What?

BMI isn't a percentage.

Professional female bodybuilders compete at like 10%. There's no way your coworker is cutting to under 5%.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lol. What?

BMI isn't a percentage.

If you a Google a body fat percentage chart and look at the folks on there,  it opens your eyes to the fact that most people dont actually know much.  

The guy i lift with that made his money with gyms and a supplement company as well as winning some bodybuilding trophies still claims he hovers around 5 to 6%. He looks more like 12%. Looks great but i don't even think its possible to stay that lean for a long period of time.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:03:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If you a Google a body fat percentage chart and look at the folks on there,  it opens your eyes to the fact that most people dont actually know much.  

The guy i lift with that made his money with gyms and a supplement company as well as winning some bodybuilding trophies still claims he hovers around 5 to 6%. He looks more like 12%. Looks great but i don't even think its possible to stay that lean for a long period of time.
View Quote
I saw a guy post in GD a while back about his goal being 2%. LOL! Yeah, not going to happen.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:09:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
You can never go wrong doing what Anvil tells you to do.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:22:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Here's my workout fellas. Be kind, i'm not a fitness expert. I'm going to post some videos of my squat and deadlift form in a week or two when I can get my buddy to video me so I can get honest opinions. I'm pretty self aware and analytical so I know i'm not short stroking lifts like some of the guys do just so they can put up big weight but I want to make sure I work on my form and get it on point. I've been watching some videos by mark rippetoe and I think my hips on squats are probably all over the place.

I'm just listing the heavy week and the deload week for the main lift, you guys know how 5/3/1 works so I won't bother typing every week out.

This week is my final week of my first month of doing the 5/3/1 so some of the lifts are a little light as the book says to use 90% of your max for starting figures. I want to increase them but i'm riding this pony the way Mr Wendler tells me to ride it. Next month i'll bump things up.

I've also been finding that on a few lifts, my joints are getting a little iffy so i'm being a little cautious there. Mainly my left elbow and left shoulder which was injured years ago at work. Not pain but a little popping in the shoulder and the elbow gets tender but they are getting better as I get stronger, stretch, and do some band work. Nothing to worry about.

day 1
cardio - 20 minutes

military press 5x105, 3x115, 1x130 on the heavy week, 5x55, 5x70, 5x80 on the deload week.

upright barbell row 12x65, 12x70, 10x75, 10x85

bent over low pulley side lat 16x30, 16x30, 14x40, 14x40

seated bent over delt raise (dumbbell) 18x15, 16x15, 16x15, 16x15

skull crushers 14x65, 14x65, 14x70, 12x75

hammer curls 15x30, 15x30, 12x30, 10x30

tricep pushdowns (rope) 12x130, 12x130, 12x140, 12x150

day 2
cardio - 10 minutes

deadlift 5x325, 3x365, 1x410 on heavy week 5x175, 5x215, 5x260 on deload week.

kroc row no numbers yet, adding this next month as I just took out a lift I felt was wasting time

dumbbell shrug 18x50, 16x55, 16x60, 16x65

pullup (name??? it's the machine where you lay on it, feet on floor, chest resting on pad keeping you halfway between laying down and standing up, pull bar up to your chest) 12x65, 10x75, 10x80, 10x85

palms up barbell wrist curl 20x40, 20x40, 20x50, 20x50

finger curls 20x20, 20x20, 20x25, 20x25

palms down wrist curl 20x30, 20x30, 20x30, 20x30

day 3
cardio 20 minutes

bench (my weakest lift since forever) 5x145, 3x165, 1x185 on heavy week, 5x80, 5x100, 5x115 on deload

incline bench 15x115, 12x135, 10x135, 10x145

peck deck 14x90, 14x100, 14x100, 12x110

cable crunch 20x180, 20x180, 15x200, 15x200

dumbbell side bend 12x65, 12x65, 12x70, 12x75

oblique crunches 4 sets of 20

decline situp (bench on 3rd notch from bottom) 4 sets of 14

cable rotation, shoulder height 12x50, 12x50, 10x60, 10x60

day 4, note, my squats are pretty low, i'm naturally a very good squatter, short and huge legs. I was leery of injuring my back again which is why i let my lifting dwindle years ago, so this is my first week of squatting since february. I took some time to work on my back and hips before I really wanted to squat again. I feel good with these numbers and know i'll make easy gains there over the next 6 months. I was 20 pounds from the state squat record in highschool in the last meet that I competed in, my brother had the record in his weight class. God put me on this earth to squat.

cardio - 10 minutes

squat 5x250, 3x285, 1x320 on heavy week, 5x135, 5x165, 5x205 on deload week.

leg press 20x270, 15x360, 10x450, 8x540

dumbbell lunge 4 sets of 15x35

prone leg curl 15x60, 12x60, 12x70, 10x70

leg extensions fucking machine has been broken for 3 months. finally got fixed tonight. was 15x80, 14x80, 14x90, 14x100

seated calf raises 20x80, 20x85, 20x90, 15x100

Note: This is my roughly 60-80 minute workout. I gutted this 3 weeks ago when I went to the 5/3/1 deal so I could focus on my main lifts. I was spending 2 hours or more in the gym before that. I plan to revamp and add kroc rows, good mornings and dips next month as Mr Wendler suggests.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:28:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

even down around 80-100 grams of protein a day you won't lose much if any muscle. Certainly won't gain much at all at that level. Also if you are pounding down a ton of protein in one meal a lot of it will be turned in to glucose in your body.

I hope you are actually putting up some heavy weight if you are on 531.
View Quote
@Obo2

I have a hectic schedule but i've been consistently eating 6 times a day.

I'm not at heavy weight yet but i'm proud of how far i've come in 7 months. A lot of people don't even recognize me anymore and I get a lot of "holy crap....fella.....been working out much???"

I posted my lifts above, i'm never going to be an elite athlete but I think I can get big enough to trick more women into letting me touch them in their naughty parts. Lol, I kid. I don't like people much, I just enjoy lifting and want to feel strong again like I did as a young man.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:08:57 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm not terribly familiar with 531 but that looks like a lot of assistance work.

Lifts are about where 531 is appropriate. Just throw in a cut cycle here and there and the belly should maybe start receding.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:27:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm not terribly familiar with 531 but that looks like a lot of assistance work.

Lifts are about where 531 is appropriate. Just throw in a cut cycle here and there and the belly should maybe start receding.
View Quote
Do you really think so? I literally halved it from what it was but I admit that I tend to get fixated on a goal at times, to my own detriment.

I'm done in less than 80 minutes with cardio.

Unless I missed it in the book, he didn't really talk about how much assistance is too much. He did give some sample workouts but they seemed way too short. I struggle sleeping if I don't work out atleast 70 minutes so that's part of how I judge it.

My original plan was go really hard for 6 months which was my 2-3 hour workouts where I woke up completely exhausted, then cut back 50% for 6 more months and get to my target body fat % then cut back another 30% and focus on long term sustainability.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:18:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Do you really think so? I literally halved it from what it was but I admit that I tend to get fixated on a goal at times, to my own detriment.

Unless I missed it in the book, he didn't really talk about how much assistance is too much. He did give some sample workouts but they seemed way too short. I struggle sleeping if I don't work out atleast 70 minutes so that's part of how I judge it.

My original plan was go really hard for 6 months which was my 2-3 hour workouts where I woke up completely exhausted, then cut back 50% for 6 more months and get to my target body fat % then cut back another 30% and focus on long term sustainability.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah i think so, i don't do anything for assistance besides warmup sets maybe some cardio and obstacles when it's fun and i feel like it. But i also do a little more volume on the main lifts with a stronglifts type workout.

Again i don't have much familiarity with 531 outside of online guides but they all seem to say don't go crazy on the assistance exercises focus on the key lifts. If you want to do assistance have a good reason

I don't have wendlers book but If i'm not mistaken this is by him

But don't go ape-shit with supplemental exercises. They should complement the training, not detract from it. You must have a very strong reason for doing an exercise. If you don't, scrap it and move on.

There are a number of ways to do assistance work: Boring But Big (my version of a hypertrophy program), The Triumvirate (shown below), and my favorite, I'm Not Doing Jack Shit, named for those times when you only have time to hit the PR in your key lift and leave.
Take it easy with the assistance work.
Some people look for the magic combination of assistance exercises, and completely under-rate the key lift. I call that majoring in the minors. Assistance work is just that – assistance. Do one or two exercises for five sets of 10, or maybe do a few more exercises for fewer sets. It's assistance. It doesn't fucking matter.
https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/531-how-to-build-pure-strength
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:29:47 AM EDT
[#23]
I remember that part of the book,  that's why i halved the number of lifts.

The first passage anyway, don't recall the second.  If i cut it down much more i won't even be there 45 minutes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top