Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2017 10:22:06 AM EDT
I've started the StrongLifts 5x5 program, and I've got some questions about warm-up and rest day exercises.

I'm an absolute beginner with fitness and weights / working out, so please be gentle

What should I do prior to the first set on weight days?  The author of the SL website mentions warming up with lighter weights or an empty bar, but that's about it.  I see no reference to pre-workout stretching or warm-ups.  

What should I do on my rest days?  I've got a desk job and get very little exercise.  I'm out of shape and have no endurance, and I know that needs to change.  I guess I need to do some general calisthenics or maybe some yoga / stretching / whatever???  I'm sure anything would be better than my current nothing, but I'd like to know what's going to be good for me vs. being detrimental to my weight day performance.

I have an elliptical machine and a cheap rowing machine in the basement; that's about it for equipment beyond the bench, rack, and weights.  I've also got a curling bar and a couple of adjustable dumbbells (that really suck!).

If it matters:
I'm 45, 5'6", 160lbs, and not what I'd call an active person.  While I don't think I qualify as obese, I could certainly stand to lose 20lbs of fat (or more).  I dropped 20 in the first few months of last year (started at 175) and have gained a few back (all fat); that's unacceptable and I'm not going to let myself slide any further...  In addition to combating weight gains, I need to change the fact that I'm just generally soft and have low energy; that's starting to impact my life in a number of ways and I'm sick of it.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 10:43:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Well it sounds like you are at least starting on the right path picking a program to stick to.

For warming up I typically avoid static stretches and stick to movements that get the blood flowing. I start with the warmup that Mikhail Koklyaev demonstrates in the first video starting at 1:50. Then I do other warmups for the hips/legs including air squats similar to what Chris Duffin demonstrates in the second video.

Russian Strength Seminar, Part 3: LIFTING INSTRUCTION

BEST Warm Up for Squats & Deadlifts

For your off days doing something like just walking for awhile is good. You could do the rower or light elliptical work since you have those easily available. But to start I'd keep it very easy with the goal of just getting blood flowing to promote recovery.

Recovery is vital and it needs to be in balance with your lifting. Recovery is made up of nutrition, rest, sleep, and light movement that promotes recovery. You need to be eating right in order to recover right. I recommend making sure you get over 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight per day. This is a good starting off point. I typically feel the best when eating over 1.5 grams/lb of protein per day. So you will want to play with this a bit to see what feels best for you. Since you are starting a lifting program I wouldn't cut calories just yet for your fatloss goals. You will need energy to recover and since you are increasing work you are increasing the amount of fuel you will naturally burn anyway. Once you have been at it for awhile then you can play with calories to meet your fatloss goal.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 11:55:51 AM EDT
[#2]
For warm ups, I like to start with some light activity to get the whole body warm.  Generally rowing, airdyne/assault bike and jump rope. Five to ten minutes should be enough.

Then a dynamic warm up.  Joe DeFranco's Limber 11 is great for deadlift, squat or running days.

Finally, a few warm up sets of the main lift to get in the groove on the movement pattern you're working.

Takes about 20-30 minutes.  But I'm 42 and find that a thorough warm up helps a lot.

For recovery, make time to do 10-20 minutes of developmental stretching after training.  I do some yoga here as well.

On rest days, light cardio or yoga would be good for recovery and mobility.  I would keep it pretty easy as you are new to training and you're body needs to adapt to the new stresses you are adding.

When you get more advanced and your body is able, you could add conditioning, more cardio, etc.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:05:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys, that'll get me going in the correct direction!

I'm only 2 workouts into this, the third one is headed my way tonight.  I had no problem completing the workouts, but boy were my legs (quads) sore for the first two days.  I wasn't sure I'd get through workout #2, but the "pain" and soreness dialed down a surprising amount after I started.  Yesterday I was a little sore, and today is not bad at all.  
Ahh, the joys of a newbie starting to work out

I'm going to have to address my diet pretty soon.  I'm running a calorie deficit right now, and I'm going fairly light on carbs.  I think I'm going to have to do a lot more research and study before I get a reasonable plan ironed out.  

FWIW, overall weight loss is not really the goal.  Based upon a couple of guesses from on-line calculators, I'm sitting at 25% BF.  I am going to get that down under 20%, and hopefully more towards the 15% range.  I would also like to get my BP down as it's borderline high right now, no current meds.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 5:30:30 PM EDT
[#4]
For warmup i go up and down the stairs a few times to get dressed and remember where my shoes are.

Then warmup sets
Empty bar 10x
Bar + 25% plates 5x
Bar +50% 3x
Bar +75% 2x
Work sets

The idea is to get the blood moving and some dynamic warmup but not do so much that it tires you out for your work sets. Sometimes i do a little michele jeneke dance before a set. It actually helps a lot.

As for rest days focus on recovery and eat lot's of protein. Going for a walk or some yoga to stay loose seems helpful.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 2:00:58 PM EDT
[#5]
In the beginning, I recommend nothing more than rest, walking or yoga as recommended by everyone else.  I was out of the gym for a decade and I still wasted a few months starting in July 2015 before getting on a 5x5 program in November 2015.  While it may seem easy now, a couple of months into it will become more difficult, and you won't want to do anything on your rest days other than rest.  

I did, however, add some accessory exercises to my 5x5 routine.  I threw in stuff like calf raises, pull/chin ups, tricep work, and bicep work, depending on my mood.  I did reach a point where I started doing cardio on my off days, but that was 6 months into it.  Now, I rarely do cardio because I hate it. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top