[#1]
Miss my gym.  Fucking divorce.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 3:57:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 7:16:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Elevator bolts through the bottom of the platform. I have a tendency to hit the bar really hard getting tight for squats, and it doesn't move at all.

@JAG2955
View Quote
I pulled one of the anchor bolts out of the ground on my rack and had to epoxy it in.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 10:26:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Great idea!  That may work for me.  I'll probably have to recess them slightly just so I can't scratch the floor.  But if I don't have to drill holes/fill holes, that would be awesome.

Why you no monolift inside the rack?  I love my strap safeties, as it appears you do.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Elevator bolts through the bottom of the platform. I have a tendency to hit the bar really hard getting tight for squats, and it doesn't move at all.

@JAG2955
Great idea!  That may work for me.  I'll probably have to recess them slightly just so I can't scratch the floor.  But if I don't have to drill holes/fill holes, that would be awesome.

Why you no monolift inside the rack?  I love my strap safeties, as it appears you do.
Because I am a very large man and it's a tight fit in there even with the monolifts.

I have the strap safeties primarily for max attempts and doing overload rack presses.

I have to roll bailed squats off my shoulders anyway, and my big ass isn't moving fast enough to jump out from under. The safety straps DEFINITELY not only catch a dropped squat better but keep you from fucking up a nice bar doing so.

ETA: Titan now makes an adjustable mono set, I'll probably buy them so I have another set inside the rack I can move up and down for rack presses and stuff since I don't always have a spotter or anyone for a hand-off..
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 10:28:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I pulled one of the anchor bolts out of the ground on my rack and had to epoxy it in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@JAG2955

I feel your pain there. When I was still at a commercial gym I would rock the entire rack when I got tight into the bar, and they asked me to please stop doing that.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 11:19:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd like to upgrade my cage soon, but I like the features I have now. Top and bottom pulley with built in multi-position pullup bar.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 6:47:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Because I am a very large man and it's a tight fit in there even with the monolifts.

I have the strap safeties primarily for max attempts and doing overload rack presses.

I have to roll bailed squats off my shoulders anyway, and my big ass isn't moving fast enough to jump out from under. The safety straps DEFINITELY not only catch a dropped squat better but keep you from fucking up a nice bar doing so.

ETA: Titan now makes an adjustable mono set, I'll probably buy them so I have another set inside the rack I can move up and down for rack presses and stuff since I don't always have a spotter or anyone for a hand-off..
View Quote
I really like them for rack pulls, they're much quieter than the pin and pipe safeties.  The R-3 does lack some interior space.  If I ever get monolifts, I'm thinking about installing them on one side, and putting the J-cups on the opposite interior side for everything else.  I'd really like to get an R-6 and attach them with a central long pullup bar or beam.  Set up one rack for squats only.  

Those Titan adjustable monolifts look pretty cool.

What plans did you use for your platform?
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 6:47:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I really like them for rack pulls, they're much quieter than the pin and pipe safeties.  The R-3 does lack some interior space.  If I ever get monolifts, I'm thinking about installing them on one side, and putting the J-cups on the opposite interior side for everything else.  I'd really like to get an R-6 and attach them with a central long pullup bar or beam.  Set up one rack for squats only.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't use any plans. It's actually four pieces that are locked together. If I can I will try to find the pics of before it was all bolted down...
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 12:23:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
I hear you.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 12:55:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
I hear you.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 11:49:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 6:27:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Bonus points for the bike!
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 10:54:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I didn't use any plans. It's actually four pieces that are locked together. If I can I will try to find the pics of before it was all bolted down...
View Quote
Please.

I've been scraping this old damn floor since the hurricane so I can do the epoxy finish.  Maybe one more day of scraping.  I don't want to drill holes in it if I don't have to.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 9:33:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Here's some of the outside stuff I've been collecting over the past couple of years.

Link Posted: 10/3/2017 9:59:43 AM EDT
[#15]
@desertw0lf

I finished my floor, finally, and my fat ass needs to hit the gym. If you could find the pics, that'd be great, or even just a description.

I do have an engineering degree, but it's buried somewhere in my brain under useless gun facts.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 10:07:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Pics of new floor in question.  I was going for a giant slate slab look, I got more of a nebula in some places.  Still really like it though.

Link Posted: 10/4/2017 4:58:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Lifting platform "plans"

This is what I did. It is not bolted to the floor but my power rack is bolted to the platform. It does not move and is very solid. I happened to find an 8'x8' (comprised of 4 interlocking sections) rubber mat for sale at a fitness supplier. You could use horse stall mats instead.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 8:53:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Attachment Attached File

Mine is coming along steadily. $50-$100 worth of equipment a month adds up. Platform build finished, hope to upgrade to a commercial adjustable bench soon.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 7:04:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Pics of new floor in question.  I was going for a giant slate slab look, I got more of a nebula in some places.  Still really like it though.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2rffyac.jpg

http://i68.tinypic.com/211t7o8.jpg
View Quote
It kind of looks like a crime scene
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 9:37:27 PM EDT
[#20]
No pics, but as a body-weight type of guy, I'm doing great with a step ladder, pull up bar, couple of adjustable dumbells, and jump rope.

Do what you can with what you have.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 11:29:06 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm about to dive into buying some stuff, I'm thinking I could do what I need with a squat tower and a Rogue bar.

Thinking this one

Rep squat tower

Rogue Echo bar

What do you guys think? I do a lot of squats, followed by deadlift, and moderate amounts of snatch and power clean, but want to get more into Olympic lifting. I'll get a bumper plate set, but I think those two pieces will suit me well.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 1:00:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'm about to dive into buying some stuff, I'm thinking I could do what I need with a squat tower and a Rogue bar.

Thinking this one

Rep squat tower

Rogue Echo bar

What do you guys think? I do a lot of squats, followed by deadlift, and moderate amounts of snatch and power clean, but want to get more into Olympic lifting. I'll get a bumper plate set, but I think those two pieces will suit me well.
View Quote
Never seen Rep Fitness equipment, the setup looks good, you'll appreciate the pull up bar.

As for a barbell, if you are interested in the Olympic lifts, go 28mm.  Half a millimeter doesn't sound like much, but it has a big difference in feel.

At the same price point look at the Rogue Training Bar or one from the Boneyard.  

A word of warning; the Rogue zinc finishes will dull over time.  Bright zinc becomes dull silver and black zinc becomes dull silver.  Never had a problem with rust but if you want that "mirror" finish, go chrome.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 7:40:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Thinking this one

Rep squat tower

Rogue Echo bar

View Quote
I have the Rep flat bench and it's solid.   

I haven't purchased a rack yet but when I was researching, the equivalent Rep rack didn't have Westside spacing (1" holes in bench press region) and Rogue did.  My last set-up didn't have Westside spacing and I was never able to get my spotter arms in the right spot for bench press.  When I purchase a rack, it'll be a Rogue.  My wife's cousin has a garage full of Rogue equipment and he's very happy with it.  

This is what I plan to purchase.  At less than $530 for the rack and spotter arms (barbell, plates and bench not included), it's hard to beat for someone like me who will be putting it in a spare bedroom.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 9:44:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Never seen Rep Fitness equipment, the setup looks good, you'll appreciate the pull up bar.

As for a barbell, if you are interested in the Olympic lifts, go 28mm.  Half a millimeter doesn't sound like much, but it has a big difference in feel.

At the same price point look at the Rogue Training Bar or one from the Boneyard.  

A word of warning; the Rogue zinc finishes will dull over time.  Bright zinc becomes dull silver and black zinc becomes dull silver.  Never had a problem with rust but if you want that "mirror" finish, go chrome.
View Quote
Great advice. In the gym I use the Bella bar to get the small diameter while doing snatch, so that makes sense. The only 28mm bar I see is the training bar and it's at $325, I don't mind spending money for a lifelong purchase, but are there any other decent options?

The finish wear won't bother me as long as the grip stays intact and it won't rust.

How about this? This comes with zero warranty, so that's somewhat concerning.

American barbell
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 11:59:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Thinking this one

Rep squat tower

Rogue Echo bar

View Quote
Rep is good Equipment for the home. Absolutely stepping up their game the last 3 years or so..

Unless you have a reason for Amazon... Here is there website:  https://www.repfitness.com/

talk to the owner on another forum... seems a good guy concerned with quality.

You will have no issues lifting with that rack.

My preference is always a cage for the safety. The racks with long safety arms always worry me because I take big steps away from rack, even with monolift..I know Im weird. YES I curl in my cage.
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 4:45:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I haven't purchased a rack yet but when I was researching, the equivalent Rep rack didn't have Westside spacing (1" holes in bench press region) and Rogue did.  My last set-up didn't have Westside spacing and I was never able to get my spotter arms in the right spot for bench press.  When I purchase a rack, it'll be a Rogue.  My wife's cousin has a garage full of Rogue equipment and he's very happy with it.  

This is what I plan to purchase.  At less than $530 for the rack and spotter arms (barbell, plates and bench not included), it's hard to beat for someone like me who will be putting it in a spare bedroom.  

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/42575/sml-1-squat-stand-lg-345268.JPG
View Quote
No home gym for me yet, but I do have a friend that has the sml1. I've used it a couple times and it is definitely pretty handy, well worth the cash IMHO if you don't want a full rack.
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 7:36:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Home Gym. You funny OP.

https://i.imgur.com/xRCulQu.jpg
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 8:10:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Home Gym. You funny OP.

https://i.imgur.com/xRCulQu.jpg
View Quote
How good are you at baling hay?
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 10:00:46 AM EDT
[#29]
I don't want to hijack thread, but I need to create a plan and build out my home exercise room.  12 x 12 (8.5 ft ceiling) in basement.  Right now concrete floor and unfinished walls from new construction 13 years ago.  Probably best to start a new thread.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 1:23:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Here is mine...

Not much yet, but it's getting there.
I am running out of space quickly!

So far I have:
Bench
Squat stands
445lb of weights
2 Olympic bars
1 curl bar
Set of bowflex dumbbells
Treadmill
Elliptical
Pull up / dip rack

Link Posted: 11/2/2017 1:24:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Here is mine...

So far I have:
Bench
Squat stands
445lb of weights
2 Olympic bars
1 curl bar
Set of bowflex dumbbells
Treadmill
Elliptical
Pull up / dip rack

https://i.imgur.com/I4foEkg.jpg
View Quote
Why not just go with a nice rack? You could consolidate all of that stuff since a lot of racks have options for adding dip/pull up bars.
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 4:50:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Why not just go with a nice rack? You could consolidate all of that stuff since a lot of racks have options for adding dip/pull up bars.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here is mine...

So far I have:
Bench
Squat stands
445lb of weights
2 Olympic bars
1 curl bar
Set of bowflex dumbbells
Treadmill
Elliptical
Pull up / dip rack

https://i.imgur.com/I4foEkg.jpg
Defiantly will eventually.  I just picked the other stuff up used really cheap to get me started.

I have $250.00 in the bench, rack, bars and weights.
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 5:39:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Defiantly will eventually.  I just picked the other stuff up used really cheap to get me started.

I have $250.00 in the bench, rack, bars and weights.
View Quote
Gotcha, not bad at all for 250, jelly
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 2:41:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/42575/sml-1-squat-stand-lg-345268.JPG
View Quote
I thought about the spotter arm placement issue, I think if I take a piece of wood that's 1" thick and the same width as each spotter arm, then attach skirts to each side to make a piece that you can move when you need a half hole adjustment.

Or just rip it out of one piece on the table saw so I don't have to glue and screw.

Like this, just use it as a riser when you need it.
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 11:52:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Some of you have really nice home gyms. I too work out in a dungeon. I'll have to get a pic up soon. 

Does anyone have a rack that's about 78" or so? My floor joists will allow for about 7' max, which would make assy easier if the thing was only 78". I'm 78" tall myself, so I have difficulty safely squatting with the shorter racks. It puts me in an odd spot on the way down when I rerack the weight. 
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 2:54:22 AM EDT
[#36]
I only have pics of my gym taken through my security cams.  I'm not home so my wife uses my gym as a storage room.

Link Posted: 11/5/2017 4:25:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Jealous of a lot of you guys. When we build our next house Im gonna have a shop with tall ceilings and one corner is gonna have a cage, dumbells up to 120# and various benches. For now Ill make due with the local place. I would much rather blast my own music over speakers and watch whatever I want to.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 10:11:11 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Progress on mine, i finally got the platform in heavy bastard that it was.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/252849/IMG-20170729-113511-619-267155.JPG
View Quote
how you like the Titan monolifts?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top