BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 1:52:49 PM EDT
[#1]
REX!  Did you try for 500 this week?

I have definitely found a way to keep squatting, I have to squat incredibly low, today I did sets of 5 at 325 and bottomed out on each rep but one and that one rep gave me a spike of pain in the knee.  This hits the glutes really hard and I can't load the bar really heavy, but at least it's work.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 1:57:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
REX!  Did you try for 500 this week?
View Quote
No belt = no max attempt and I'm super duper bummed about it. You get another reprieve. 

I did squat today, though:

2x410
1x420
1x430
13x365

I really really really wanted 15 but was getting lightheaded. :( Another day. Cube cycle is over though, so I do need to test just wish my goddamned belt would get here. 
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 2:45:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice squats.  I haven't been over 350 since that day I did 20 at that weight and re-broke the knee.  

13 @ 365?  Sweet...
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 2:46:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
13 @ 365?  Sweet...
View Quote
I was on the strugglebus today for real. No C4 (cycling off) and I had shin splints from stupid sprints in my boots yesterday like an idiot. 
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 3:08:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I was on the strugglebus today for real. No C4 (cycling off) and I had shin splints from stupid sprints in my boots yesterday like an idiot. 
View Quote
I had a myofascial release done on my shins a while back, no splints and awesome flexibility now.  You might want to find someone who can do that for you.  It's excruciating and that's an understatement, but it really works.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 8:02:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm going to be at 315 bench before you get to 500.

Link Posted: 7/5/2017 11:33:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm going to be at 315 bench before you get to 500.

View Quote
Sad part is, I'm not terribly far behind on the bench.  I'm up to sets of 225 for about 4-5 which puts me at a 250-260 max based on the calculator.  I don't want to actually push that, but it feels good to be getting up there.

Last time I broke this spur on my knee it took several months to quit hurting.   Last weekend I drove through 400+ miles of the most boring country Wyoming has to offer and the knee did good, so I'm thinking it's on the mend.  Later this week I'll squat 350 for a few and see how it goes.

Still not going to make my real goal this year of a bodyweight snatch.  Starting to wonder if I'll ever do a snatch again, I think I'll be able to clean and jerk again in a few months to a year at this rate, but snatching might just be out.

I'm falling apart.  I guess at 42 it's expected, but it still sucks.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 11:35:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Can I play, too?

ETA: For those of you who have never squatted in DECENT sleeves, I simply cannot recommend Strong House Project's Training or Comp 7mm sleeves enough. Especially at a fraction of the cost of SBDs, and I use them more than my SBDs now too.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 7:14:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Can I play, too?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoJlYNbIweo

ETA: For those of you who have never squatted in DECENT sleeves, I simply cannot recommend Strong House Project's Training or Comp 7mm sleeves enough. Especially at a fraction of the cost of SBDs, and I use them more than my SBDs now too.
View Quote
Good triple.

I'll look up those sleeves. I'm usually not a fan of sleeves because I get too hot easily. I wear shorts and a tank until the temp is below freezing, so sleeves tend to make me uncomfortably hot. I did start using my tommy konos again a few weeks ago and it surprised me how much braking and pop I got out of the hole with them. Much more than a mild wrap.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 8:05:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Can I play, too?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoJlYNbIweo

View Quote
I really need new sleeves, I've been wearing the same ones for years and they are shot, they need to be pulled back up after every squat, so I'm essentially not using sleeves for any sets with more than one rep.

Thanks for the recommendation.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 8:15:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I really need new sleeves, I've been wearing the same ones for years and they are shot, they need to be pulled back up after every squat, so I'm essentially not using sleeves for any sets with more than one rep.

Thanks for the recommendation.
View Quote
Me too, one of mine is completely blown out.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 1:53:20 PM EDT
[#12]
While SCW gets all cocky, my new belt is here and already PR'ing like a motherfucker. A pair of 395 front squat doubles. Yeeehaw, let's dance. Gonna make a 500# BS attempt before the end of the month, we'll see what happens. 
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 12:11:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
While SCW gets all cocky, my new belt is here and already PR'ing like a motherfucker. A pair of 395 front squat doubles. Yeeehaw, let's dance. Gonna make a 500# BS attempt before the end of the month, we'll see what happens. 
View Quote
SWEET!

I'm nowhere near being able to hit a PR, but at least I'm back under the bar.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 8:19:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Get a set of INZER wraps.  I got a set at Europa Dallas, and now I wonder why I waited so long!  PROS: infinitely adjustable tightness depending on how tight you wrap.  A little help out of the hole if you wrap tight.  WAY more stable/supportive on my old damaged knees!  CONS:  Make you walk funny.  Some consider wraps 'cheating'.  More tedious to use than sleeves.

These are the ones I got:  GripperKneeWraps
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 10:13:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Get a set of INZER wraps.  I got a set at Europa Dallas, and now I wonder why I waited so long!  PROS: infinitely adjustable tightness depending on how tight you wrap.  A little help out of the hole if you wrap tight.  WAY more stable/supportive on my old damaged knees!  CONS:  Make you walk funny.  Some consider wraps 'cheating'.  More tedious to use than sleeves.

These are the ones I got:  GripperKneeWraps
View Quote
I really like wraps for the reasons you mentioned. Being able to apply exactly how much pressure and exactly where you want it is awesome. Doing a light wrap will give you no more pop out of the hole than knee sleeves, actually potentially less. I don't use sleeves or wraps that often, and have been wrapping(mildly) for awhile without even touching my sleeves. I put the sleeves on a few weeks back just to feel them back out and was really surprised with how much more pop I got out of them than a mild wrap. A good aggressive wrap with the intention of getting extra weight moving is going to be uncomfortable enough to where you know it isn't "therapeutic" anymore. If you are wrapping instead of using sleeves simply for knee support, going with a very stretchy wrap is what you want to do.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 7:29:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Now I find this thread?

Fuckers

Come on guys!
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 7:54:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I really like wraps for the reasons you mentioned. Being able to apply exactly how much pressure and exactly where you want it is awesome. Doing a light wrap will give you no more pop out of the hole than knee sleeves, actually potentially less. I don't use sleeves or wraps that often, and have been wrapping(mildly) for awhile without even touching my sleeves. I put the sleeves on a few weeks back just to feel them back out and was really surprised with how much more pop I got out of them than a mild wrap. A good aggressive wrap with the intention of getting extra weight moving is going to be uncomfortable enough to where you know it isn't "therapeutic" anymore. If you are wrapping instead of using sleeves simply for knee support, going with a very stretchy wrap is what you want to do.
View Quote
I wrap sort of medium tight.  Blood still flows in/out of the lower legs, but there is a little bit of pop out of the hole.  I'm only in competition with myself, so I don't care.  My right knee will likely be replaced in about 12 years if I can just nurse it along that far.  Ortho says that radiology reported bone on bone in some areas.  I personally don't feel like it is bob yet, but I know it is getting there.  The wraps make it far more stable under load, which I really like.  It also seems to help me prevent valgus collapse on the right.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 7:14:27 PM EDT
[#18]
I need an official ruling:

Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:34:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5aCanGTkAw
View Quote
Fake weights. NO LIFT!

Seriously though. Good job. Good depth. Way to grind it out. You worked for that one.

Congrats!
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:09:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Very nice! Such badassness!

Depth looks good. Grind looks like it sucked. In the good way.

Congrats!
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:22:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
NICE!!!!
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 9:51:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Very nice
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 9:20:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Sidenote, I've been supplementing with an unnamed plant extract (please don't shoot my dog) in an attempt to reduce inflammation, and even though my 1/4 lift was a 15# PR, was a little ugly, and was probably the 20th squat I'd done that day over 300# AND I had speed squats after...I was in no pain this weekend from my joints or spine. Some muscle pain, as was to be expected, but none of the aching back or popping, achy knees.

Placebo? Maybe. But wife has also noticed relief from her C6 herniation taking the oil as well so, you know, maybe consider it.  

Link Posted: 8/29/2017 12:41:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Sidenote, I've been supplementing with CBD oil (please don't shoot my dog) in an attempt to reduce inflammation, and even though my 1/4 lift was a 15# PR, was a little ugly, and was probably the 20th squat I'd done that day over 300# AND I had speed squats after...I was in no pain this weekend from my joints or spine. Some muscle pain, as was to be expected, but none of the aching back or popping, achy knees.

Placebo? Maybe. But wife has also noticed relief from her C6 herniation taking the oil as well so, you know, maybe consider it.  
View Quote
Interesting.  

Looks like it's not 'illegal' since I found some on Amazon.  I'm assuming they'd ship here.  Are you taking the oil internally?
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 1:13:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Interesting.  

Looks like it's not 'illegal' since I found some on Amazon.  I'm assuming they'd ship here.  Are you taking the oil internally?
View Quote
Despite industrial hemp based cbd oil being widely available it is not actually legal.

It was previously in a sort of grey area but the dea clarified in march of this year that it is a no go.

https://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/schedules/marijuana/m_extract_7350.html

Doesn't seem to be stopping anyone though.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 1:16:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Depth was good. But crossfit plates.  Probably only 100#s.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 2:31:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Despite industrial hemp based cbd oil being widely available it is not actually legal.

It was previously in a sort of grey area but the dea clarified in march of this year that it is a no go.

View Quote
ugggggggggh. 
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 3:03:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Hmm.  I wonder if it would show as pot on a drug test.  I'm working with a few utilities now and need to keep a clean test.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 3:23:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Hmm.  I wonder if it would show as pot on a drug test.  I'm working with a few utilities now and need to keep a clean test.
View Quote
Wouldn't risk it. My employer gives not a shit. 
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 7:34:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

this article says generally no. but it's possible to get a false positive on a urine screen at high doses because no hemp products are entirely thc free.

Put simply, a consumer who uses a high-quality, scientifically vetted hemp-based product at the standard serving size is highly unlikely to test positive for THC and/or THC-COOH. However, it’s important to be cognizant that extremely high doses may result in a positive urine screen (that would be subsequently shown to be false via GC/MS).
https://www.leafly.com/news/cannabis-101/does-using-cbd-hemp-oil-result-in-a-positive-drug-test-for-thc-or
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 9:45:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

this article says generally no. but it's possible to get a false positive on a urine screen at high doses because no hemp products are entirely thc free.

https://www.leafly.com/news/cannabis-101/does-using-cbd-hemp-oil-result-in-a-positive-drug-test-for-thc-or
View Quote
Thanks for your research!  

Now I'm considering it again.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 10:01:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Thanks for your research!  

Now I'm considering it again.
View Quote
I thought you were feeling good lately? I wouldn't touch the stuff if it could hurt a paycheck.

I'm not against drug use. I believe the war on drugs is a war on freedom but I just don't see the benefits outweighing the potential costs right now.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 10:37:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I thought you were feeling good lately? I wouldn't touch the stuff if it could hurt a paycheck.

I'm not against drug use. I believe the war on drugs is a war on freedom but I just don't see the benefits outweighing the potential costs right now.
View Quote
Knee is good but I still can't get into a front rack position for front squats or a clean.  I did a crossfit workout with my kids on Saturday and for the burpees I just went down to my fist which worked fine.  They also had us doing a bunch of handstand holds so I set a couple of dumbbells to hold onto and that worked ok too, but I can't put my hand flat for a push up still.

No clue if the doobie grease would help, but after nearly 18 months of hurting I'm getting pretty experimental.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 2:51:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Knee is good but I still can't get into a front rack position for front squats or a clean.  I did a crossfit workout with my kids on Saturday and for the burpees I just went down to my fist which worked fine. 
View Quote
Speaking of, did a 415 front squat today, twice.

@SCW, what's the status on your 500 attempt? 
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 3:11:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
Squats?  What's that?

Currently serving two weeks in Phoenix for bad behavior.  My little engineering company had a huge upset over the last few weeks, I've completely shifted gears away from stupid residential design and I'm back to power lines.  @Frayedknot you ready to try consulting yet?

Hopefully I'll be able to squat this week, trying to find a gym tonight.  I can't remember the last time I squatted more than 400lbs.  It's been a long time.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 4:06:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Hopefully I'll be able to squat this week, trying to find a gym tonight.  I can't remember the last time I squatted more than 400lbs.  It's been a long time.
View Quote
Noooooooooooooo! :( :( :( Get back to squatting! This, I command. 

Link Posted: 9/5/2017 4:22:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
[i'llallowit.jpg]
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 5:49:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Noooooooooooooo! :( :( :( Get back to squatting! This, I command. 

http://www.toptenz.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/serpentor.jpg
View Quote
You realize I'm living through you, right?  So far you have...

1- finished your 12.5" Grendel (mine collects dust)

2- squatted 500lbs

3- cleaned 315

All of those are goals of mine this year.  You didn't also happen to buy a CZ Shadow Target did you?  I was about to and went and shot my Hi-power.  The recoil really hurt my wrist so I didn't bother getting another gun I can't shoot.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 7:48:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

You realize I'm living through you, right?  So far you have...

1- finished your 12.5" Grendel (mine collects dust)

2- squatted 500lbs

3- cleaned 315

All of those are goals of mine this year.  You didn't also happen to buy a CZ Shadow Target did you?  I was about to and went and shot my Hi-power.  The recoil really hurt my wrist so I didn't bother getting another gun I can't shoot.
View Quote
No, I bought a P-01 Omega. 

Link Posted: 9/5/2017 8:23:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Squats?  What's that?

Currently serving two weeks in Phoenix for bad behavior.  My little engineering company had a huge upset over the last few weeks, I've completely shifted gears away from stupid residential design and I'm back to power lines.  @Frayedknot you ready to try consulting yet?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Squats?  What's that?

Lines have to be easier than a house. Put the big end in the ground, put wires on the skinny end. I can't imagine doing anything outside of T&D now.

Guy at work is trying to convince me to start a design firm with him. Since I have the stamp and he has three years of experience.

I have become too comfortable with corporate life. There are many things I hate, but not traveling all over the country is one of the main reasons I deal with the crap. I don't see how you do it.

Plus I get to squat more. Now that I've started becoming consistent again my squat is getting into the zone where I have to overcome the psychological battle of "holy fuck this is heavy!" Hoping for high 4's this year and 500 in the first part of next year.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 8:37:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/SfA4hSm.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/SfA4hSm.jpg
Damn.  So close to being my hero.  At least you got one of the good trigger CZs, I'm a manual safety snob.

Quoted:

Lines have to be easier than a house. Put the big end in the ground, put wires on the skinny end. I can't imagine doing anything outside of T&D now.

Guy at work is trying to convince me to start a design firm with him. Since I have the stamp and he has three years of experience.

I have become too comfortable with corporate life. There are many things I hate, but not traveling all over the country is one of the main reasons I deal with the crap. I don't see how you do it.

Plus I get to squat more. Now that I've started becoming consistent again my squat is getting into the zone where I have to overcome the psychological battle of "holy fuck this is heavy!" Hoping for high 4's this year and 500 in the first part of next year.
Dude, residential sucks.  Low margins, higher risks, way more work in many ways and far less lucrative.  The travel isn't so bad for me anymore, once a month or 6 weeks is fine, when I was a dedicated field guy it sucked.  Now I'm just doing short overnight trips for the most part, this is two weeks but really might be cut short so they can let me work from home after I get caught up on the project.  I've got several options in front of me for doing design on T-lines, too much work out there right now.

I actually had time to squat last week but I did a brutal workout on Monday of last week and was still having trouble with stairs by Friday, so I didn't really get the heavy lifting done that I wanted to do.  Still losing weight too, that doesn't help.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 5:56:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Did that whole T-nation 2 deadlifts every minute for 30, but spiced it up with some jumprope every minute as well. The jumprope was definitely the worst part. The deads didn't get spicy until like minute 23.

SCW, have you squatted 5 hundo yet?
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 10:43:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Did that whole T-nation 2 deadlifts every minute for 30, but spiced it up with some jumprope every minute as well. The jumprope was definitely the worst part. The deads didn't get spicy until like minute 23.

SCW, have you squatted 5 hundo yet?
View Quote
No, I haven't even had a real squat workout in right about a month now.  I was a little frustrated about my squat a few weeks ago, I can't seem to get off my ankles with 405 and I can't squat less than to the ankles or I'll hurt in the knee the next day.  So I'm sorta stuck, I've tried more pause squats and I've tried resting, now I'm trying doing nothing and I'll see how that works.  I did squat to parallel the other day (well, like three weeks ago now) with 225 and I was hurting the next day, so that's really not happening.

Three more weeks and maybe I'll have a reasonable schedule again.  Wife and a couple of friends are trying to talk me into crossfit, my fat stomach thinks I should do it too.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top