Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/3/2003 1:35:51 PM EDT
What's better?

Not talking about lat machines, but Universal Gym type systems vs. bench, dumb and bar bells.

What would you prefer for your home system? Looking at costs they come out about even for a good combo bench and a couple of weight sets vs. a Weider Systems setup.

I'd heard that the Uni-gyms weren't as good at "even" development, i.e. a strong right side could overcompensate for a weaker left, and development isn't even. But then, I'm just looking for a good, fast workout.  
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 2:20:39 PM EDT
[#1]
There is absolutely NO substitute for free weights for building size and strength.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 2:39:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
There is absolutely NO substitute for free weights for building size and strength.
View Quote

Yup.  Try lifting for a couple of weeks with the same amount of free weight you use but on the machines, then go back to the free weight.  You'll see the difference, believe me.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 4:58:18 PM EDT
[#3]
There are some exercises you just can't do with free weights so machines are better in regard to those particular exercises.  In regard to all others, free weights are best.

I'd suggest that if you're buying new weights, you get an Olympic set rather than a standard one.  If you buy on sale at, for example, Dick's Sporting Goods, you can find an Olympic set with 300# and a bar for $90.z
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 9:29:29 AM EDT
[#4]
I wouldn't disagree with the above posts, but there might be more to your situation to bring you back to machines (there is no flat "best" for everybody).
1. Machines can be easier on past injuries.  2. Are you the only one working out with it? etc.

I happen to use a combo of both.  But please don't lump all "machines" in the Weider catagory.  Weider products suck.  Bowflexes are pretty nice (but for the price, you could get a hell of a free-weight setup).
Best
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top