Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/27/2003 11:10:28 PM EDT
For about 8 months now I've had severe hip pain in my right hip, namely my Sacroiliac Joint.  This has barred me from doing any cardio and legs in the gym, as it only inflames the joint and cause more pain.  I'm hoping the inflammation will eventually subside, but until then, I'm stuck doing only upper body in the gym.  

I'm sure my routine can be improved, as I'm still a Newbie at resistance training, I figure some of you guys could help me out.  I've been lifting for about 5-6 months now, about 3 days a week, solely on upper body.  I have been doing a semi complete upper body routine every other day w/ a two day break on Wed/Thurs for recovery.  About once a month, I'll go 4 days for the week.  

I started out doing All machine work, 12-15 reps for 3 sets on Bench, Bi, Tri, Seated Row, Lat Pull Down, Shoulders, Fly, and Abs if my hip wasn't hurting too badly.  I started out doing a medium intensity for me, but have now worked up to a higher intensity, as my muscle mass has grown.  I've almost doubled my bench, and have now lowered my reps on all areas to 8-10 reps and have transitioned to 1/2 free weights and 1/2 machine work.  

I've gone from 26-27% body fat down to about 21% and from 236lbs down to 212lbs.  I'm 6' and have a "large" build (i.e. broad shoulders etc...).  I'd like to build more muscle mass, and lower my body fat % to about 15%, which I think will put my weight somewhere in the neighborhood of 200lbs.  

Long story short.  I'm pretty sure my current routine is not the best for maximizing my muscle growth potential.  If anyone could suggest a better routine given my situation, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
BigJ491
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 3:08:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like you're doing fine to me!

Ever hear, "IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON"T FIX IT "?

I might suggest seated leg extensions, and reverse leg curls. If done right, they will not involve the hips.

Since you say you are a newbie, don't forget to do 10 min or so of STRETCHING and extending prior to workout. Some guys do this throughout their workout(Idon't, but what do I know anyway?).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top