Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/24/2003 5:03:03 PM EDT
Just some "MA newbie" observations that have been bouncing around my head. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's a *good* thing or that I dig it (that's between me and the wife)... but it's got it's advantages. Seriously.

I hadn't done any type of training until about 18 months ago (the past 6, too damn broke to do anything!) but I've learned alot and have "unlearned" even more. Legs are for more than just standing, for instance. A lot more, especially if you end up on the ground.

Not only is it *okay* to hit another person, sometimes it's best to do it first. And hard. And alot. Like, until they stop twitching.

Don't stop what you're doing (or *apologize* - my folks raised me polite)) when you make hard contact - expected or otherwise - in a dojo/studio/wherever you're training. Train like you fight, remember? Don't accidentally teach yourself to freeze.

This leads to the most important thing I've learned so far - don't stop what you're doing when *you* get hit. Full contact was big when I played (just a little) with Systema. We consistently practiced taking unprotected shots from our partners (cooperatively - you didn't get full-speed unless you okayed it). It takes the fear out of it once you realize that, yeah, it hurts... but it's not the end of the world.

Like I said, I've been too broke to "sign up" with anyone so I've been prowling for freebies. Went to a Krav seminar this past weekend and, while playing the "attacker", I caught a seriously solid roundhouse elbow to the point of my chin. It didn't really phase me but my "victim" apologized profusely (later told me he hurt his elbow [:D]) and I could see the look of shock on his face when he connected. He froze up. A good shove would've knocked him flat. And I was exactly in his mindset when I first started.

I'm not an expert or a tough guy or anything like that but I can't understand why *all* schools of self-defense don't push at least some degree of unprotected contact. "Welcome to class one. Now... boot to the head! Two for flinching!" [:D]

Seriously, newbies like me are going in blind and learning "cool moves" but have no clue how to emotionally process being on the receiving end of unexpected violence or, for that matter, hurting another human being. Theory is nice but it doesn't approach seeing someone hit the ground gasping and knowing it's because of something *you* intentionally did. You also don't know how much force is *enough* force unless you really apply it and see the results. Some folks are just plain tougher than others and won't really grant you the time to wonder why that last trick didn't work like it always does in class.

Man... that made sense in my head but it looks suspiciously like rambling now. Sorry about that but do you guys at least catch my drift? (And, before the peanut gallery chimes in, I am NOT looking for volunteers to pop me one.) Anybody else go through this little epiphany when getting started?
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:23:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:12:38 PM EDT
[#2]
At some point, I'll outgrow the "don't shoot the newbie" defense but I'll use it while I can. Apologies if I came across as defending or recommending testosterone-case behavior - definitely not my point. Or if I sounded like I was soliciting a screenplay for "Fight Club 2".

I know that real violence isn't *fun*. But I don't know that the person I was working with *would* behave differently. People who have BTDT would likely react as needed but someone like myself, who'd never had nor "needed" a fighting background, would be reinforcing a natural hesitation that only *might* be overcome by training and adrenaline.

What I'm driving at is the very idea of an "illegal" blow. Is modern marketing blurring the line between learning effective self-defense and learning a "sporterized" version that *can* be used for self-defense? Why *should* there be differing behavior between the mat and the street (outside of doing permanent harm)?

Huh. Funny - another epiphany. There are as many reasons for learning a fighting skill and ways to train as there are for choosing a type of handgun. If someone carries a wheelgun, why would they practice tap-rack-bang? Doesn't make them any less competent, they just have a different set of drills.

Man... why can't I come to these conclusions *before* posting? That's it - less talking, more drinking.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 10:27:47 PM EDT
[#3]
KeithC, my friend, may I call you my friend?....IMO.....anything that stimulates or newly trains the Neuro/muscle memory is a + for your overall preparededness.! ALWAYS train like you fight even if your holding back, in a Adrenaline explosion!! you'll revert to blood ALWAYS!!      I prefer a babe that'll take a tussel!!!!!![;)]sounds like funnnnnnnn. ENOUGH FORCE TO LET THE OTHER KNOW, eehm, you get my drift my friend?
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 7:43:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
KeithC, my friend, may I call you my friend?
View Quote

Depends - can I borrow a few bucks? The wife and I are both out of work now, so, um, y'know.... [:P]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top