Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/12/2003 7:53:11 AM EDT
I went to my first sparring class last week. I did really well, considering it was my first time. Probably my worst habit was when my opponent came to close on me, or if he landed a good punch to my head, I would instinctively turn my head away and present the back of my head to him. This is a natural reaction, but likely to really get me pummeled. When I did this my (more experienced) opponents would go bambambambambam and land a half-dozen quick bunches to the back of my head and neck.[img]http://www.stopstart.freeserve.co.uk/smilie/fight.gif[/img] They were light "taps" and not really punches, more of a tap just to let me know that I was leaving myself vulnerable. What methods have you martial arts guys found to most quickly eliminate these bad habits? I guess I could ask them to hit me a little harder when I turn my head so it hurts more and I could learn through operant conditioning. Any suggestions for more painless ways? -Nick Viejo.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 8:04:52 AM EDT
relax, go back to class. in 6 months you will be an old hand at it.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 9:40:52 AM EDT
Make no mistake, I had a blast at sparring class. I wish I could do it more than once/week. I also continue to go to the normal classes througout the week. I'm just looking for ways to speed up my improvement. -Nick Viejo.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 1:19:55 PM EDT
Just give yourself some try and try to do a mental review after each sparring match to see what you could have done better. As an aside, I heard somewhere recently that it takes 10,000 repititions to really learn a physical movement like a punch in martial arts or a movement in dancing. It takes 30,000 repititions to re-train after learning something incorrectly. So focus on learning things correctly, rather than something that just gets you by
Top Top