Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/12/2003 7:53:11 AM EDT
I went to my first sparring class last week.  I did really well, considering it was my first time.

Probably my worst habit was when my opponent came to close on me, or if he landed a good punch to my head, I would instinctively turn my head away and present the back of my head to him.  This is a natural reaction, but likely to really get me pummeled.

When I did this my (more experienced) opponents would go bambambambambam and land a half-dozen quick bunches to the back of my head and neck.[img]http://www.stopstart.freeserve.co.uk/smilie/fight.gif[/img]  They were light "taps" and not really punches, more of a tap just to let me know that I was leaving myself vulnerable.

What methods have you martial arts guys found to most quickly eliminate these bad habits?

I guess I could ask them to hit me a little harder when I turn my head so it hurts more and I could learn through operant conditioning.  Any suggestions for more painless ways?

-Nick Viejo.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 8:04:52 AM EDT
[#1]
relax, go back to class.  in 6 months you will be an old hand at it.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 9:40:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Make no mistake, I had a blast at sparring class.  I wish I could do it more than once/week.

I also continue to go to the normal classes througout the week.  I'm just looking for ways to speed up my improvement.

-Nick Viejo.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 1:19:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Just give yourself some try and try to do a mental review after each sparring match to see what you could have done better.

As an aside, I heard somewhere recently that it takes 10,000 repititions to really learn a physical movement like a punch in martial arts or a movement in dancing.  It takes 30,000 repititions to re-train after learning something incorrectly.  So focus on learning things correctly, rather than something that just gets you by
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top