Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/3/2003 2:00:29 PM EDT
[img]http://www.exrx.net/AnimatedEx/BackGeneral/DBBentoverRow.gif[/img]
[url=http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/BackGeneral/DBBentOverRow.html]link[/url]
I don't dip my shoulder like that, who is right him or me?
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 2:08:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Him.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 2:13:45 PM EDT
[#2]
So I should basically be picking the weight up off the floor with each rep then?  That explains alot...lol.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:28:46 PM EDT
[#3]

uh, gonna have to disagree here.

Your shoulders should be pulled back, chest poked out, back slightly arched, and head forward.  

That guy is all wrong...all he is doing is cheating by using momentum and his lower back to "swing" the weight up.

Link Posted: 6/4/2003 10:57:32 AM EDT
[#4]
mp906 is correct - this guy is torque-ing his lower back.  full extension is desirable, but putting the weight all the way to the ground does nothing for your shoulders.  extend as far as you can w/o moving your back.  it's called isolation of the muscle group.  

man, that guy is going to be having some fun being bedridden when he's 60.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 1:30:04 PM EDT
[#5]
FWIW, You should let your shoulder dip but when you start upwards it should be a moderately slow and controlled pull.  then you aren't riding the momentum and you are working more muscles in your back.  Try it and you'll see.  Yes, if you poke out your chest and keep your shoulder still, you will isolate your 'lat' better.  But try it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 1:35:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I believe letting your shoulders dip down on rows like that gives you a better range of motion.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 3:05:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a mirror next to my bench, and I keep my shoulder dead still.  It's almost entirely movement of the arm.  I can see the lat flexing, but I wasn't sure, thanks guys.

Incidentally, anyone know a replacement for this excercise without cables?  I've topped out on this one and cannot increase either weight or reps.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:19:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Norman, you are correct.  Your shoulder should not move in a propoerly performed row.  Your shoulders should always be "cocked" back.

Full range of motion in a correct row movement means fully extending your arm down w/out twisting your back, and pulling the weight up as high as you can, towards the top of your ribcage and pause.

Form: it is important!

Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:25:11 PM EDT
[#9]

Do you have a pic of this guy doing Lat pulldowns?

That is one of the most screwed up exercises in gyms everywhere.

1. Guys trying to show off jerk their entire body backwards and turn a pulldown into a row, essentially, using mostly moentum and their lower back.

2. Females usually pull the weight down to the top of their chest, then proceed to pull it in front of them down to their waist like some kind of pulldown/pullover combo.

Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:08:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Do you have a pic of this guy doing Lat pulldowns?
View Quote

[img]http://www.exrx.net/AnimatedEx/LatissimusDorsi/CBPulldownFront.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 9:19:55 AM EDT
[#11]

Got a little swing workin there, but not to bad.

Link Posted: 6/5/2003 1:23:46 PM EDT
[#12]
if you want to isolate your lats on pulldowns, you shouldn't go up until your arms extend either.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 6:40:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Norman a good replacement for db rows would be barbell rows.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 6:47:20 PM EDT
[#14]
He looks NAKED!  Do you do them nekid tooo?
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 8:59:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
if you want to isolate your lats on pulldowns, you shouldn't go up until your arms extend either.  
View Quote

And why exactly is that???  Please enlighten us.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 10:00:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Norman, you are correct.  Your shoulder should not move in a propoerly performed row.  Your shoulders should always be "cocked" back.

Full range of motion in a correct row movement means fully extending your arm down w/out twisting your back, and pulling the weight up as high as you can, towards the top of your ribcage and pause.

View Quote

Not according to Weider.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 12:30:19 PM EDT
[#17]
MP906, "And why exactly is that??? Please enlighten us. "

when you extend all the way up, you relax your shoulders and that takes the tension off of your lats.  I didn't believe it either until I tried only going up as far as I could with letting my shoulders move.  
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 2:14:50 PM EDT
[#18]

Mr. Weider is wrong then!

RE: pulldowns

By not fully extending your arms you are not allowing your lats to stretch and contract through the full range of motion.  

You won't "release tension" on your lats by going all the way up unless you sit there for several seconds.

I see people doing this kinda thing with curls all the time, not going down all the way to keep "tension" on the muscle.  Same with not extending all the way on the bench press.  It is wrong.  

If you are going to purposely do partial repetitions, that is, going heavier than normal but only doing part of the range of motion, that is fine.  But doing them all the time is just plain bad form.

Link Posted: 6/7/2003 8:30:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Mr. Weider is wrong then!

RE: pulldowns

By not fully extending your arms you are not allowing your lats to stretch and contract through the full range of motion.  

You won't "release tension" on your lats by going all the way up unless you sit there for several seconds.

I see people doing this kinda thing with curls all the time, not going down all the way to keep "tension" on the muscle.  Same with not extending all the way on the bench press.  It is wrong.  

If you are going to purposely do partial repetitions, that is, going heavier than normal but only doing part of the range of motion, that is fine.  But doing them all the time is just plain bad form.
View Quote
Well then, that answers a question I had about concentration curls as well.  I have seen guys not letting their arm get completely straight and always wondered if I was doing it right.  I don't hyperextend the elbow, but I let the arm get almost completely straight.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 7:18:47 PM EDT
[#20]

Those guys are trying to lift more weight while sacrificing good form.

Now, on your last set, doing a couple partials to boost your intensity is a common practice.  I do that  pretty consistantly.  But doing only half or 3/4 of the movement all the time is a no-go.

-Good luck
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 7:29:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Why do you have a pic of a naked man lifting things?
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 10:26:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Why do you have a pic of a naked man lifting things?
View Quote

Who doesent?
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 9:13:27 AM EDT
[#23]
MP906
I hear what you're saying and when I first heard of not going all the way up on lat pulls, I laughed and said they were Full of it.  But I tried it, and I got a LOT better pump in my Lats.  Of course it's good to go all the way up sometimes just to keep the range of motion.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 10:44:46 AM EDT
[#24]

Letsgetiton,

That's cool man.  Do what works for you.

I just want to make it clear to new lifters that your technique is unique and not the norm.  

-Good luck

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top