Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/27/2003 9:57:33 AM EDT
To those that use this stuff, what's a serving size like when mixed?  My typical protein shake is about 16 oz.
I'm considering getting some isopure to start having for breakfast, but I'm not going to be able to down it if a shake is like 32 oz when mixed.

UPDATE:
So, on day two (today) of this nutrasweet tasting garbage, I decided to look at protein/serving.  Most importantly, the amount of protein per gram of powder.  
Isopure's big claim to fame is that it's got 50 grams of protein per serving.  Serving size is 90 grams of powder.  Therefore it's 56% protein.
Designer Whey claims 17.5 grams of protein in a 24 gram serving size.  Or 73% protein.
Optimum Nutrition's 100% whey protein has 22 grams of protein in a 29.4 gram serving size.  Or 75% protein.

While Isopure has a ton of vitamins the others don't, I figure I can toss a centrum into the blender with the powder and get the same thing.

So the Isopure is the most expensive, and in fact has the least amount of protein per gram of powder.  I guess I'll finish off this box since I already have it but then I'll go back to the less expensive crap.  Just trying to let anyone know that is using or is thinking about using this stuff.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 10:10:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Actually I just tried the stuff last night. I mixed it with 16 oz. of milk and it didn't add much to the volume of liquid. Serving size is 3 scoops at 70 cc per scoop. Tastes good!
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 10:39:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Actually I just tried the stuff last night. I mixed it with 16 oz. of milk and it didn't add much to the volume of liquid. Serving size is 3 scoops at 70 cc per scoop. Tastes good!
View Quote

HMM, does the package recommend it this way?  Their website actually brags that it doesn't contain any milk...
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 12:09:35 PM EDT
[#3]
You can mix with milk to add more cals.  Only use skim or 1% milk as whole milk binds with it and slows down absorbtion, something you dont want from a whey mix.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 1:49:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Isopure blends great, doesn't add much volume at all.  I only use one cup of water/milk with 2 scoops.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:39:54 PM EDT
[#5]
i'm still working on a giant tub of GNC whey powder i got a while ago, so it isn't isopure

but i drink mine like this:

2 scoops powder
3 tablespoons olive oil
couple ice cubes
16oz water

into the blender to break up the ice and mix it

hold nose and down as fast as possible

mmm breakfast

consistancy of chocolate milk

once this tub of crap is consumed I'm going to try this isopure stuff you guys have been yacking about
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:09:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I had it for the first time this morning.  It left a horrible aftertaste, like something with nutrasweet.  I usually drink a glass of pineapple juice in the morning too, hopefully that will kill the aftertaste of this isopure crap from now on.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 6:06:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Did you not look at the ingredients before you bought it?

Isopure is considered a Meal Replacement. Most people agree that more smaller meals work better than fewer larger. I drink a 1/2 serving with milk between breakfast and lunch and the other half between lunch and dinner. It has protein, carbs (26 grams, maltodextrin) and vitamins.

If you wanted a protien powder only, you should have done a little more research.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 6:13:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Most supplements are scams.  You're much better off eating real food.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 8:48:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

[beathorse]

Seriously though, there is no way I'm going to eat enough "real food" to meet the protein levels you're talking about.  With my job I can't just sit down and cook up a chicken breast at 3 in the afternoon.  Supplelments are the only way I'm going to get that much protein without drastically altering my lifestyle, which I'm not willing to do.
To be blunt, I find people whose lives revolve around bodybuilding and eating to be some of the most boring sots I've ever met.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 9:12:31 AM EDT
[#10]

Dude protein is protein.  Get the cheapest stuff they have at Walmart or GNC.

20-30 grams/ serving is 20-30 grams/ serving...
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 11:55:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

[beathorse]

View Quote

Sorry, I had to say it.  I hadn't responded to this thread yet and couldn't hold it in any longer. [:)]

Seriously though, there is no way I'm going to eat enough "real food" to meet the protein levels you're talking about.  With my job I can't just sit down and cook up a chicken breast at 3 in the afternoon.  Supplelments are the only way I'm going to get that much protein without drastically altering my lifestyle, which I'm not willing to do.
View Quote

Ok, I'll post something constructive.  [url=http://www.1fast400.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=63&osCsid=a8f0d34e8e7f652883a235e312073acd]Here's[/url] one of the better deals out there right now.

To be blunt, I find people whose lives revolve around bodybuilding and eating to be some of the most boring sots I've ever met.
View Quote

Ummmm...ok.  Thanks for sharing that.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 6:48:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I agree the 10lb bag of optimum is the way to go.  GNC protein is a good deal sometimes if it is on sale.  Also try:

www.dpsnutrition.com

They are really good people.  The guy from 1fast400 is a good dude too he posts on anabolicminds and bodybuilding.com regularly.  He does a lot for the sport by donating to research and such.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 3:42:06 AM EDT
[#13]
10 lbs of that stuff in sr15s [red]HERES[/red]post. DAMNIT! gnc on discount gets $45 for 5 lbs of essentially the same stuff.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 10:08:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nope. Whey isolate is absorbed much better then, say, soy protien concentrate. Soy also jacks up estrogen levels, leading to bitch tits and such. The cheaper crap also tastes nasty, and doesn't blend worth crap. All protein is not created equal.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 10:44:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Nope. Whey isolate is absorbed much better then, say, soy protien concentrate. Soy also jacks up estrogen levels, leading to bitch tits and such. The cheaper crap also tastes nasty, and doesn't blend worth crap. All protein is not created equal.
View Quote

Note the original edited post:
Designer [b]whey[/b] protein
Optimum Nutrition's 100% [b]whey[/b] protein

These are both whey protein supplements, but are much cheaper, and better tasting, than the isopure.
If you drink diet soft-drinks, I'd be you'd never notice the nutra-sweet flavor of isopure, but I taste it for hours after I've drank the stuff.
Plus, the greater grams of protein/grams of powder leaves more room to mix in peanut butter, bananas, oranges, fresh strawberries, and other things that make it healthier and better tasting.

I'm not saying isopure isn't good, I'm just saying that their claims are misleading.  Their major claim to fame is 50 grams of protein, which I can get from a LESSER amount of poweder from the competition.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 2:17:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

I was referring to Whey protiens.

Soy is good to mix in if you have high cholesterol.  20 grams of Soy per day will NOT give you man boobs.  That is bunk.

Some of the "cheap" stuff mixes just fine.

Personally, I drink the Optimum Whey that Norman referred to or the cheap EAS Whey at Walmart.  Both have around 30 grams per serving.

Link Posted: 6/18/2003 1:27:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

I was referring to Whey protiens.

Soy is good to mix in if you have high cholesterol.  20 grams of Soy per day will NOT give you man boobs.  That is bunk.

Some of the "cheap" stuff mixes just fine.

Personally, I drink the Optimum Whey that Norman referred to or the cheap EAS Whey at Walmart.  Both have around 30 grams per serving.

View Quote

Sounds like we're basically in agreement. The only protien wally world stocks around here is the challenge brand soy crap. When you mentioned wally world, that's what came to mind.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 1:43:21 PM EDT
[#18]

Oh, that sucks.

My Walmart has EAS Whey for $8.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top