Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2003 3:14:13 PM EDT
What is the best number of Sets and Reps for building some good strength but also a bit of endurance, Im currently doing 3 sets of 15 reps but im beggining to think that that is on the endurance end of the spectrum.

GOGI
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 3:26:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I usually stay in the 4-6 range.  Maybe you could try 6-8  15 is way high.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 6:06:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I like doing 4-7 reps for two weeks and then 8-12 for 1 week.  The most important part though is to take each set to failure (not including warm up sets).  Your set should end because you can't possibly do another rep, not because you've reached some pre-determined number of reps or you don't feel like doing any more.  Just remember, pain is weakness leaving the body. [:)]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 2:54:06 AM EDT
[#3]
REPS:
When you can do 7 reps, add 5 pounds. Keep using this new weight until you can do 7 reps, then add 5 pounds. Keep doing...

SETS:
3-4 with the above weight. This does NOT include warm-up sets, or cool-down sets.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 3:06:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I like doing 4-7 reps for two weeks and then 8-12 for 1 week.  The most important part though is to take each set to failure (not including warm up sets).  Your set should end because you can't possibly do another rep, not because you've reached some pre-determined number of reps or you don't feel like doing any more.  Just remember, pain is weakness leaving the body. [:)]
View Quote
[b]WOW......I agree,[/b] while most say this is overtraining------> how are you going to improve unless youve given it all you got before. I swim against the current also, but thats me, I'll be stronger than the guy who goes w the current in the end.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 11:24:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
REPS:
When you can do 7 reps, add 5 pounds. Keep using this new weight until you can do 7 reps, then add 5 pounds. Keep doing...

SETS:
3-4 with the above weight. This does NOT include warm-up sets, or cool-down sets.

Good luck!
View Quote

I've done a variation of this. All I can say about it is

IT WORKS!!
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 9:12:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
[b]WOW......I agree,[/b] while most say this is overtraining------> how are you going to improve unless youve given it all you got before. I swim against the current also, but thats me, I'll be stronger than the guy who goes w the current in the end.
View Quote

Hmmm...if you agree, then maybe I'm wrong. [:D]

I don't think it's overtraining, I think it's intense training.  To me, overtraining is doing too many exercises.  I often see people doing 4 or more exercises for one muscle group.  Two exercises with each set taken to failure is plenty for me.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 9:39:59 AM EDT
[#7]

I like switching my "rep range" every 2-3 weeks.

It pretty much goes like this:

Reps X Sets:

8-10 X 3
6-8 X 3
4-6 X 4
1-3 X 5

I also mix heavy stuff with high reps stuff every so often:
Example: 4 sets of 4,4,10,10, obviously dropping weight on the 10 sets.

And, about twice a year, I do this crazy 10 X 10 workout with the major lifts (bench, squat, pullups).  That hurts bad...

So, in short, I mix things up a lot.  Of coarse, I consider my self more of a bodybuilder/weight lifter, not a powerlifter type...i.e. vain and proud of it [:D]

Link Posted: 5/29/2003 10:17:13 AM EDT
[#8]
I had a friend who did 10x10 on squats to rehab his knee after surgery. He used light weight (135#), but he talked about how much it hurt.

I just thought he was being wussy. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 1:11:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Oh ya.  Mucho pain, but its the good kind of pain.

That much volume is not recommended on a regular basis though.  

Overtraining = no hypertrophy[:(]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top