Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2003 2:34:09 PM EDT
to get enough protein in my body? or just after words.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 2:55:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, for starters creatine is not a protein, it is actually a combination of three amino acids. But anyways, you should take creatine about 30 minutes to an hour before your workout. I would recommend using effervescent powder over other forms of creatine because I think it has a better absorbtion rate and is cheaper than the serums.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 2:16:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Well, for starters creatine is not a protein, it is actually a combination of three amino acids. But anyways, you should take creatine about 30 minutes to an hour before your workout. I would recommend using effervescent powder over other forms of creatine because I think it has a better absorbtion rate and is cheaper than the serums.
View Quote

thanks for the tip where can I get that type of creatine?
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:46:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I take half a serving before and half after my workout.  Mix the regular monohydrate with some dextrose.  Or you can buy them already mixed but it is a little more expensive.  As for the creatine serum it seems like it is a scam.  Here is one article about it, there are more floating around.  http://www.ast-ss.com/articles/article.asp?AID=88
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:56:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 1:39:31 PM EDT
[#5]
mike,
FWIW, I've tried many types of creatines and different ways to take them.  
creatine Serum sucks.
I like Cell Tech the best.  or EAS phosphagen HP.  don't get the ol' cheapo stuff.  and don't take Plain creatine.
when you take it, take a serving in the morning right when you wake up.  then protein shake 30 minutes later.  
take second serving RIGHT AFTER your workout, at the gym.   Then drink protein 30 minutes later.  
Do as little cardio as possible while on creatine and only stay on it for 4-5 weeks.

try it and you'll thank me.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 2:32:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Criatine isnt exactly an amino acid, but what it does is complex with free phosphorus in your muscle.  

Cr + P = Cr-P (creatine phosphate)

In order for muscle to move it hydrolyzes ATP [adenosine tri-phosphate] into ADP [adenosine di-phosphate] and a free inorganic Phosphate (P).  Thus:

ATP = ADP + P + muscle movement

In order to convert back to ATP (ADP does not move muscle) the ADP must be broken down by enzymes and recycled in this manner:

2x ADP = ATP + AMP (adenosine mono-phosphate)

AMP and other free ADP are recycled through oxidative phosphorylation back to ATP via Glycolysis/Kreb's Cycle/Electron Transport Chain.

However, this is slow to regenerate ATP, so your body has a 'storage' for phosphate attatched to Creatine.  Since your body 'clears' free creatine, you have a somewhat set amount, but you increase it by intake of more creatine.

Thus...

ADP + Cr-P = ATP + Cr

Therefore, increasing the amount of creatine in your diet (and thus in the muscle) IN THEORY will allow you to do more work to the muscle.  More work in the muscle leads to more muscle bulk and thus, more 'build'.

Its all in theory, however, and there is not a difinitive study showing a difference.  However, the stuff is relatively cheap, and the psychological benefit of its intake would be significant even if there was no 'real' benefit on the cell level.

Wow... i really type too much....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top