Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 35
Posted: 9/15/2015 9:24:30 AM EDT
I decided just to make a single thread about my diet/workout progress and questions instead of a new post every time.
Several of you have helped me in my other posts and if you felt like subbing this one that would be awesome.

History-
2 open heart surgeries, valve replacement, cleared by doc.
P90x3 for 2 months (roughly), paleo diet, dropped weight (fat) from 155 to 145.
Dropped p90x3 for weight training.
Currently focusing on muscle gaining and size. (Im a ridiculously small built guy)

Goals-
short term - lose last bit of belly fat that I have.
Long term- 155 weight goal via muscle.

Diet- around 2800 - 3000 calories per day, I eat mostly salmon, meat and chicken.
Currently trying to round my diet out more and spread calories/protein through the day. instead of big gut filling meals.
I also drink a protein shake, the brand I use is body fortress- its the "mass" kind to help with gaining some weight.

My theory currently- work bigger muscle groups, like legs, to increase metabolism. Go to bed kinda on empty stomach. Let my
body use reserves to repair with.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 9:29:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Questions-
Wanting to lose last bit of belly fat.
trying to work bigger muscle groups to help with that.
At first I thought I should cut calories a bit but not sure on that part.
Cut calories to decrease bodies ability to reserve much or eat more to build muscle to burn it up?
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 11:30:06 AM EDT
[#2]
You really have to nail down your goals. You can:

1. Focus on building muscle. You are going to put on fat with the muscle.

2. Focus on losing fat. You will lose fat, but also lose some muscle.

3. Do a lean bulk. Losing or minimizing fat gain is doable, but it's slow and it's difficult.

It sounds like you're trying to do #3, but your calories are probably a little high at 145lbs. I'm trying to lean bulk now at 178 (up 3lbs) and eat roughly the same number of calories that you are. I'm going to start focusing on building muscle in a couple weeks and will bump up my calories about 150 per day over what I'm eating now to start and will add more if needed.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 11:57:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

3. Do a lean bulk. Losing or minimizing fat gain is doable, but it's slow and it's difficult.

It sounds like you're trying to do #3, but your calories are probably a little high at 145lbs. I'm trying to lean bulk now at 178 (up 3lbs) and eat roughly the same number of calories that you are. I'm going to start focusing on building muscle in a couple weeks and will bump up my calories about 150 per day over what I'm eating now to start and will add more if needed.
View Quote

#2 is probably my best bet honestly. I am not remotely ripped by any means so I shouldnt lose too much muscle.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 2:42:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

#2 is probably my best bet honestly. I am not remotely ripped by any means so I shouldnt lose too much muscle.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I did. Some people will tell you to build muscle first, then cut fat. Either way works. If you're wanting to lose fat, I can pretty much guarantee you that you're going to need to decrease your caloric intake. I've got 30lbs on you and my BMR is around 2400 calories. Add in exercise and I need almost 2800 to maintain. When I had MFP set to lose 1lb per week, it had me at 1900.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 3:29:47 PM EDT
[#5]
When I focused on building muscle with heavy compound lifts, the belly fat pretty much took care of itself.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 4:31:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That's what I did. Some people will tell you to build muscle first, then cut fat. Either way works. If you're wanting to lose fat, I can pretty much guarantee you that you're going to need to decrease your caloric intake. I've got 30lbs on you and my BMR is around 2400 calories. Add in exercise and I need almost 2800 to maintain. When I had MFP set to lose 1lb per week, it had me at 1900.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay let me adjust MFP and set it up for just maintain weight and see what it sets me as.
Goal weight 150
goal- maintain weight
activity level - Active. I put active because I try and do weights each day. But when I am not working out I am not very active right now. But I try and get in cardio (jog/walk at park, good for 500+ calories) each week.
Its got me at 2490 calories.
Sound right to you?
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 4:41:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
When I focused on building muscle with heavy compound lifts, the belly fat pretty much took care of itself.
View Quote

That is what I was hoping for, maybe I am being impatient.
Bottom line I guess for me is that my main goal in this whole thing is to get rid of the gut. Now I dont have much left at all especially if I eat right for the day.
Another thing is that I dont go to the gym and am not able to right now. So I got a free weight bench and some dumbells. And use
youtube to give me ideas for workouts (sixpackshortcuts.com)
I just am a little limited because I dont have the equipment or a spotter. I dont even have a workout buddy. So I am just trying
to do the best I can with what I have. At 148 lbs It wont take much stuff to lean me out and I dont have much further to go.

As much as it sucks to post here is me the other day. Still a ways to go...
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 7:26:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Do you guys ever notice certain muscle groups dont seem to respond to workouts? (no burn/soreness)
My triceps respond phenomenally but my chest never ever feels the burn.
Ive tried to double check my form on things like bench press or fly type exercises but I seem to be doing it okay.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 7:57:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Do you guys ever notice certain muscle groups dont seem to respond to workouts? (no burn/soreness)
Ive tried to double check my form on things like bench press or fly type exercises but I seem to be doing it okay.
View Quote

Trying to lose weight at 155#s blows my mind. I would look like a skeleton.

You don't have to be sore to know you had a good workout. Did you lift more weight than the time before equals a good workout to me.

What program are you on. Can't tell if you are make progress without something to reference to?
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 8:11:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You don't have to be sore to know you had a good workout. Did you lift more weight than the time before equals a good workout to me.

What program are you on. Can't tell if you are make progress without something to reference to?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't ever get "burn" when doing strength-focused work - heavy weight/low repetitions with lots of rest between sets.

Kai has the right metrics for progress in mind if your goal is to get stronger.

I can make myself sore doing a crappy workout that doesn't increase strength at all, like doing wall sits.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 8:35:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh I get it believe me.
Here is my body type: Imagine a stick man with a bowling ball for a gut.
I gain weight in my gut and thats it. I cant stand it any more. People were actually calling me out on being fat at 155 lbs or so.
Wrap your head around that.

Im currently on the whatever program. My metric is goes like this:
I could do 6 pushups (regular) when I started p90x3, I can do 50 now.
I could do 10 assisted chin ups, I can do 5 unassisted now.
I couldnt jog 1/8 the whole way around the loop at the park, I can do 1/4 now.
etc
I basically find youtube videos "awesome 20 minute chest workout" etc and do it. As long as I feel like it is pushing me I keep up with it.

I guess im torn between pushing on with muscle building or trying to lose the last remaining bits of fat on my stomach. It would be nice to see some abs.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 8:40:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I don't ever get "burn" when doing strength-focused work - heavy weight/low repetitions with lots of rest between sets.

I can make myself sore doing a crappy workout that doesn't increase strength at all, like doing wall sits.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My triceps scream and just go huge when I work out, chest never. I kinda think other muscles are compensating.
Like wide push ups for chest and I feel it in my shoulders and triceps. Its weird. I feel like my chest is increasing though, so just going to keep at it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 8:41:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

It may work that way. I've just always done better if I'm focusing on one thing. In the past when I've tried to really gain muscle, I got fat. I could probably manage a true bulk better now though since I've got a better grasp on controlling my diet.

Doing a lean bulk is new for me, since it's a multi-faceted approach. Focusing on losing fat gave me the tools I needed to make it work as well as it has. I haven't completely nailed it, since I do have some pretty wild swings in strength but I'm generally progressing.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 8:45:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Oh I get it believe me.
I gain weight in my gut and thats it. I cant stand it any more. People were actually calling me out on being fat at 155 lbs or so.

etc
I basically find youtube videos "awesome 20 minute chest workout" etc and do it. As long as I feel like it is pushing me I keep up with it.

I guess im torn between pushing on with muscle building or trying to lose the last remaining bits of fat on my stomach. It would be nice to see some abs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh I get it believe me.

etc

Screw that, You need to get on a serious strength program and eat lots of food.

Being a stick is gross.

Bench is the least effective of the of the 3 big lifts.

You need to be doing squats and deads too.  

Link Posted: 9/15/2015 8:53:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Okay let me adjust MFP and set it up for just maintain weight and see what it sets me as.
Goal weight 150
goal- maintain weight
activity level - Active. I put active because I try and do weights each day. But when I am not working out I am not very active right now. But I try and get in cardio (jog/walk at park, good for 500+ calories) each week.
Sound right to you?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Goal weight 150
goal- maintain weight
Sound right to you?

The activity level is basically a guess until you figure out where you fit. I've got mine set to lightly active. I work at a desk. I walk 2-3 miles 5 days per week, do sets of 15+ pullups 2x per day, and work out at least 3 days after work. My workouts usually involve at least one of the big three (squats, deads, bench) and other accessory work.

When I had MFP set to lose 1lb per week, it gave me a little over 1900 calories before any cardio. My weight tracked pretty true at that level. My lifting suffered though.

Maintenance puts me around 2400 calories before I add in any cardio exercise. Sticking to that has me up about 3lbs over the past month or so.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 8:53:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Being a stick is gross.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh I get it believe me.

etc

Being a stick is gross.

Well thats what I was basically doing. But I really want the rest of my gut gone and I wasnt sure if I should switch it up and lean out a bit more or what.
Being a stick is my genetics. My mother is not even 5 foot tall so im lucky im this tall.
I dont focus on bench, just used it as an example.
I want to start doing more squats and dead lifts but I cant go to the gym and I dont have a spotter. I think I can do squats with some dumbells for now and see some gains maybe, ill see what I can do on deadlifts. Need to research proper form. Thats the other thing, I dont have anyone to show me or work out with, noone.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 8:58:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The activity level is basically a guess until you figure out where you fit. I've got mine set to lightly active. I work at a desk. I walk 2-3 miles 5 days per week, do sets of 15+ pullups 2x per day, and work out at least 3 days after work. My workouts usually involve at least one of the big three (squats, deads, bench) and other accessory work.

When I had MFP set to lose 1lb per week, it gave me a little over 1900 calories before any cardio. My weight tracked pretty true at that level. My lifting suffered though.

Maintenance puts me around 2400 calories before I add in any cardio exercise. Sticking to that has me up about 3lbs over the past month or so.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Goal weight 150
goal- maintain weight
Sound right to you?

I see. I think what I am leaning toward is staying at 150 lbs (for now), especially since I feel really fit right now and not bloated etc. and see if I can lean out and then push muscle gain. Finding that balance is tough and trying to stay active for me is tough. I stay at home with kids all day and its lots of sitting sometimes. Some days I literally have 20 minutes to just get some kind of workout in.

Link Posted: 9/15/2015 9:33:15 PM EDT
[#18]
You're most likely going to be better off doing like the others have said. Focus on building muscle and you'll burn the fat as long as you don't go insane with your calories. You're coming at this from a completely different direction than I did, since you don't have that much fat to begin with.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 10:07:08 PM EDT
[#19]
You're skinny fat because you don't have any muscle. Put some muscle on and you wont even notice a belly.

You don't need a spot for deads.
And if you stay light you won't need a spot for squats.

You can buy a book called Starting Strength it will walk you through the correct way to do the big lifts. It's like $6 for the ebook.

Link Posted: 9/15/2015 10:32:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You're skinny fat because you don't have any muscle. Put some muscle on and you wont even notice a belly.

You can buy a book called Starting Strength it will walk you through the correct way to do the big lifts. It's like $6 for the ebook.

View Quote

I agree here.  If you were to add 15 pounds of muscle in the next 6-8 months (totally doable) your small belly wouldn't even be a concern.  Go to the starting stretch forums and start reading.  You mentioned nobody is around to help with form, thousands of guys like you and me have self taught the lifts, it just takes some research and effort.

Doing a basic barbell program and eating to add muscle imo is hands down the best thing you can do in this situation.  I went from 210 pound and skinny fat (worst look in the world I think) to about 220 with quite a bit of muscle.  Belly went down a ton as well.  Trust us on this OP.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 1:57:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

I know I don't need a spot for deads, I said I'd have to learn the proper form. I'll check the book out! Thank you!
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 2:00:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I agree here.  If you were to add 15 pounds of muscle in the next 6-8 months (totally doable) your small belly wouldn't even be a concern.  Go to the starting stretch forums and start reading.  You mentioned nobody is around to help with form, thousands of guys like you and me have self taught the lifts, it just takes some research and effort.

Doing a basic barbell program and eating to add muscle imo is hands down the best thing you can do in this situation.  I went from 210 pound and skinny fat (worst look in the world I think) to about 220 with quite a bit of muscle.  Belly went down a ton as well.  Trust us on this OP.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

15 lbs of muscle would be epic and my ideal end goal. It's about 2am right now but tomorrow I'll have some free time and I'll do some research.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 2:02:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Alright, the consensus is build muscle. So that's what I'm going to start doing more of. This discussion has got me really pumped.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 11:49:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Mark Rippetoe's book a good buy?
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 12:10:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, he wrote Starting Strength. It's a very detailed book.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 12:42:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought that was what was suggested earlier but somehow I read it as STARLING's Strength.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 6:55:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Alright did legs and biceps today. I just felt like going all in and everyone in the house was asleep which never happens.
Biceps are coming along maxed out 8 reps (target is 6-8) each set but maybe one.
I took it easy on legs but did 2 sets of 4 exercises (10 reps each) I need to see how sore Ill be tomorrow.
Ran into an issue with dead lifts, the diameter of the weights is so small that the bar is real close to the floor.
Even though I am short I cant get to it without rounding my back so ill have to come up with a little stand maybe to
lift it up a bit or something. That should be okay right?
With all that said my calories are set at 2,490 and i can hit that pretty easy through the day. I have been working on
spreading my meals out through the day and adding in good carbs to round the meals out.
How can I best measure the calories i burnt during a workout?
I can load exercise in MFP manually but it doesnt factor in any kind of calorie burn. I do use a garmin vivofit 2 to track
jogging sessions but it isnt much help on weights. According to it I have burned 1,560 calories today. but since I didnt record
a session when working out it doesnt factor anything in for the day. I think ill start recording sessions when I workout just to
get some kind of input on calorie burn. Thoughts?

Just got to looking at this and it is showing 1,469 BMR burned and 93 burned through activity. when combined with my intake I hit my goal
with 98%
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 7:21:43 PM EDT
[#28]
If it were me....

Screw bicep work.  Complete waste of time for you right now.  Squat, bench, overhead press, deads.  In that order.  Repeat.  Don't get fancy, get strong.  Who cares if it's boring, get strong.

Use whatever plate you need for deads.  If it's too low, set it on blocks or a small stack of plates.  Stay very tight in the back.

Screw workout calories.  Eat good food and lots of it.  If you gain weight too fast, slow it down.  Your metabolism is variable enough on its own that to try to set a standard of what you burned, how much you need, etc is a mess.  Track intake, adjust, repeat.  My complete goal is strength so I judge my diet based on performance at the gym.  If my lifts are off, I eat more and suddenly they are back on track.  But I'm now 29% fat and stronger than I've ever been.  Set a goal and don't get distracted.

Throw your scale in the trash.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 7:26:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
If it were me....

Screw bicep work.  Complete waste of time for you right now.  Squat, bench, overhead press, deads.  In that order. Repeat.  Don't get fancy, get strong.  Who cares if it's boring, get strong.

Use whatever plate you need for deads.  If it's too low, set it on blocks or a small stack of plates.  Stay very tight in the back.

Screw workout calories.  Eat good food and lots of it.  If you gain weight too fast, slow it down.  Your metabolism is variable enough on its own that to try to set a standard of what you burned, how much you need, etc is a mess.  Track intake, adjust, repeat.  My complete goal is strength so I judge my diet based on performance at the gym.  If my lifts are off, I eat more and suddenly they are back on track.  But I'm now 29% fat and stronger than I've ever been.  Set a goal and don't get distracted.

View Quote

what does your weekly workout routine look like?
part in red- every day?
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 7:52:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

part in red- every day?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If it were me....

Screw bicep work.  Complete waste of time for you right now.  Squat, bench, overhead press, deads.  In that order. Repeat.  Don't get fancy, get strong.  Who cares if it's boring, get strong.

part in red- every day?

Did you buy the Starting Strength book?  You should, pronto.

Start out lifting 3 days a week.  Do those 4 lifts, in that order, every time you lift.  Start very light, Click can tell you about getting sore with weights you think will be light.  Squat deep (need to be light).  Do warmup sets to your working weight, then do three sets of five.  On dead lifts do a single set of five.

I have 'graduated' past the novice phase of the linear progression that you pursue with the SS protocol.  I'm doing Wendlers 5/3/1 with accessories.  The SS program was awesome, I'm very glad I did it.

Buy the book, it's worth every last penny to you.  The chapter on the squat is like 65 pages and will answer every question you never had about the squat.

Link Posted: 9/16/2015 8:15:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Start out lifting 3 days a week.  Do those 4 lifts, in that order, every time you lift.  Start very light, Click can tell you about getting sore with weights you think will be light.  Squat deep (need to be light).  Do warmup sets to your working weight, then do three sets of five.  On dead lifts do a single set of five.

I have 'graduated' past the novice phase of the linear progression that you pursue with the SS protocol.  I'm doing Wendlers 5/3/1 with accessories.  The SS program was awesome, I'm very glad I did it.

Buy the book, it's worth every last penny to you.  The chapter on the squat is like 65 pages and will answer every question you never had about the squat.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If it were me....

part in red- every day?

I cant decide if I want the kindle edition or a paperback version of the book. probably paper I think. Ill get it asap. Sadly there are no book stores locally anymore.
See, the way you put it is what I need. I just need someone to say "only do this this and this, forget everything else, trust me."
Im cool with it and I ackowledge I have no idea what I am doing. the only reason I was doing what I was is because it seemed
like everyone else broke it up into days, chest day, leg day, arm day, back day etc.
There is a squat on the leg day routine I have been doing, (or did today) I just used dumbells 20 lbs. which isnt much but I am going to increase
that soon. I just have to be able to walk the next day.
So tomorrow ill see if I can get going with the routine you said. Ive researched form and watched youtube videos from SS author showing proper form.
In fact i just watched one that was about bench press and I think Ive been working shoulders on bench presses so ill have to watch that one again.
Thanks alot for your help, seriously. Goes for everyone here.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 9:18:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If it were me....

part in red- every day?

I think you're supposed to alternate bench and shoulder press every other workout.  And deads and power cleans too
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 10:26:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I think you're supposed to alternate bench and shoulder press every other workout.  And deads and power cleans too
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If it were me....

part in red- every day?

Yeah, you're right.  But I think he recommends not doing cleans until the deads are past bodyweight or something like that.  Either way, it's a lot of squats.  A.  Lot.  Of.  Squats.

Link Posted: 9/16/2015 10:50:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yeah, you're right.  But I think he recommends not doing cleans until the deads are past bodyweight or something like that.  Either way, it's a lot of squats.  A.  Lot.  Of.  Squats.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If it were me....

part in red- every day?

So many squats!
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 1:16:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Got some solid advice in this thread.  

OP other than just the book, you can figure out a lot on the starting strength forums, and of course keep asking questions here.  There are enough of us to get you going down the right path.

Once you get this all figured out you'll feel sorry for all the guys in the gym who don't have any idea what they're doing. Yet they have the drive to show up every day…
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 11:08:21 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Got some solid advice in this thread.  

OP other than just the book, you can figure out a lot on the starting strength forums, and of course keep asking questions here.  There are enough of us to get you going down the right path.

Once you get this all figured out you'll feel sorry for all the guys in the gym who don't have any idea what they're doing. Yet they have the drive to show up every day…
View Quote

ill see if I can lurk there and see what I can find out. Good idea!
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 11:28:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Lets switch gears a bit.
Id like to round out my meals and do a little planning ahead with eating.
I have tons of lean meat in the fridge (hamburger), chicken and some salmon.
I know meals need to be smaller and more frequent and I like that idea, I hate feeling stuffed.
what are good simple rounded meals I could eat?
example:
Baked chicken (with skin) green beans and ____ ?
Salmon, brown rice and ______ ?
Hamburger (with or without bun?) a sweet potato and ______?
I am thinking the _____ part should be a fat, correct?
(I can eat the same meals every day without a problem)

How can I SMARTLY implement fruits, i know they are lots of sugar. I know nothing about salads
but I know green is good when it comes to vegetables. I am not a big vegetable eater but I know
they have benefits...
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 12:14:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Lets switch gears a bit.
I know meals need to be smaller and more frequent and I like that idea, I hate feeling stuffed.
example:

How can I SMARTLY implement fruits, i know they are lots of sugar. I know nothing about salads
but I know green is good when it comes to vegetables. I am not a big vegetable eater but I know
they have benefits...
View Quote

Fruits like strawberries and raspberries are full of fiber and not much sugar.

But clean bulking is dumb. Eat all things!!!! Then cut the fat.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 12:39:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lets switch gears a bit.
example:

they have benefits...

When you say eat all things, you mean eat everything. Pizza, pasta etc? If so do you still recommend watching caloric intake?
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 1:10:15 PM EDT
[#40]
going to go get this book.
I notice there are two different books, a simple and practical guide for coaching beginners and basic barbell training.
which are you guys recommending?
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 2:04:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
going to go get this book.
I notice there are two different books, a simple and practical guide for coaching beginners and basic barbell training.
which are you guys recommending?
View Quote

Basic barbell training.

If you feel like being lazy you can just hit your protein goal, most people go for about .8-1 gram #lb of body weight per day. Then eat whatever you want after that. Try not to eat processed shit.  You are going to gain fat but if you are putting your time in at the gym you will gain muscle too. Fat is really easy to get rid of if you have  a lot of muscle.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 2:37:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Lets switch gears a bit.
example:

they have benefits...
View Quote

That's basically my diet, no fruit though. Also eggs and bacon every breakfast.  Important if you want to build muscle.  As for vegetables, I like asparagus or collared greens. I don't bother with salads unless they're spinach.   I also put the grass fed butter in my coffee every morning.  Lastly, I supplement carbs now by putting about 25 grams of sweet potato powder in my protein shakes.  But, that's about like eating another couple of sweet potatoes.  So far, so good for leaning out and adding muscle.  

If you just wanted to add muscle/strength, eat big and dirty.  But don't expect to have abs.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 3:13:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

That's basically my diet, no fruit though. Also eggs and bacon every breakfast.  Important if you want to build muscle.  As for vegetables, I like asparagus or collared greens. I don't bother with salads unless they're spinach.   I also put the grass fed butter in my coffee every morning.  Lastly, I supplement carbs now by putting about 25 grams of sweet potato powder in my protein shakes.  But, that's about like eating another couple of sweet potatoes.  So far, so good for leaning out and adding muscle.  

If you just wanted to add muscle/strength, eat big and dirty.  But don't expect to have abs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lets switch gears a bit.
example:

they have benefits...

Yeah I eat 2-3 scrambled eggs with a hamburger patty almost every morning. I'd rather not go backward on my gut so I'll try and find a balance. So my brain is putting 2 and 2 together. Guys eat big and bulk up then lean out and drop the fat right?
2,490 calories gonna work then ya think?

I struck out on the book at the store. So I'll just ebook it and be done with it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 1:09:10 PM EDT
[#44]
The book should be here monday.Cant wait to start reading. I have been checking out the starting strength forums in the mean time and his youtube channel.
I am a bit worried though, I dont know if I have the right equipment for all of the moves.
This is more or less what Ive got now, except not near as nice of shape.

I cant get to a gym right now, is this going to be an issue or will I be able to make due with what Ive got for a little while?
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 7:24:07 AM EDT
[#45]
The book should be in today!
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 9:22:26 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
The book should be here monday.Cant wait to start reading. I have been checking out the starting strength forums in the mean time and his youtube channel.
I am a bit worried though, I dont know if I have the right equipment for all of the moves.
http://bodybuildingequipment.ericsgym.com/benchpress/basicbenchpress/images/bench3.jpg

I cant get to a gym right now, is this going to be an issue or will I be able to make due with what Ive got for a little while?
View Quote

You have a bar and some weight? You should be able to do everything. Squats will be hard to do with that though. Might have to buy or make a squat rack.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 8:52:21 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

You have a bar and some weight? You should be able to do everything. Squats will be hard to do with that though. Might have to buy or make a squat rack.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://bodybuildingequipment.ericsgym.com/benchpress/basicbenchpress/images/bench3.jpg

Yup, I have a bar and some weights. Not very much weight though. I guess it depends on how much weight I need to start with for my actual set. I am still reading on how to find that out in the book. I must have missed it but then again I havent read everything just yet.

Ive came across this rack on amazon. My basement has pretty low ceilings and I think this would fit just fine.
short power rack
If I could find some weights at a yardsale or craigslist or something I think i would be in business...
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 11:41:37 AM EDT
[#48]
I must be missing it. Is there a formula or a chart or something he gives you to find out what weight your start out with? I think I'm ready to at least practice the lifts but I'm not sure where I start weight wise with warm up and work sets...
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 2:24:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I must be missing it. Is there a formula or a chart or something he gives you to find out what weight your start out with? I think I'm ready to at least practice the lifts but I'm not sure where I start weight wise with warm up and work sets...
View Quote

Go to the programming section of the book.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 3:40:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right. The only paragraph Ive found was on page 299. It said "as a general rule, it is best to start with an empty bar, determine the work set or sets, and then divide the difference between 45 lbs and the work set weight into even increments."
So am I to just put some weights on (minimal amount) perform the move and add weight until I hit my max?
He goes on to talk about work sets and says "Sets of five reps are a very effective compromise for a novice." - I figure that is me. So I need to find a max weight that I can do 5 reps of and 3 sets.

Or should I just start with the bar and add 10lbs each new day until I cant add 10 lbs anymore?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 35
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top