Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/3/2002 7:34:03 AM EDT
 I noticed ad in paper yesterday about knife "defense" course offered at local indoor shooting range for $40. It is a 5 hour course split up into 2 evenings, Nov. 11th & 12th.

According to the guy I talked to when I went by there to check it out, he and another guy who will be instructing class are supposedly ex-spec-ops and Delta Force, and also with LEO experience. This indoor range is used by practically all the LEO's and security agencies around here (Abilene, TX) so I thought I would give them the benefit of the doubt.

I did sign up but, it was right before closing so I didn't to talk to him as much as I would've liked. He did say they would cover legal issues as well as technical aspects, scenarios, flow drills, etc. He did mention that all the techniques are basic, uncomplicated, and proven in actual combat situations.

Just wondered if anyone here has had much experience with this type of martial art?

Let you now for sure after I start. My wife didn't want to do it but, she asked me to show her what it was all about later.

Redbug

Link Posted: 11/3/2002 7:35:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Rule 1: Bring a Gun
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 7:54:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Knive offense and defense have been big topics in law enforcement circles for several years now.  The large tactical folder has become as common in the LE circles as a mustache on a male cop!
There are some really good courses out there, such as the one offered by Ernie Emerson (Emerson Knives, Inc)
[url]www.emersonknives.com/Tact_index.html[/url]
and several others.
What are your goals and what do you expect from the course?
Let us know how things develop and what you feel you got for your money spent.  
Beachboy
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 8:14:47 AM EDT
[#3]
 I forgot to add that course also covers empty hand defense against knife as well as how to use knife. I was also told that the knife and empty hand techniques also translate to various impact weapons as well.

I am also involved with boxing/kickboxing as well as some close quarters combat. See www.hockscqc.com

I know about "Rule 1" but, just in case...

Redbug      
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 8:37:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Beachboy,
 I guess something that really concerns me is that no matter how careful and aware you try to be, there is always the chance (even if somewhat remote) that when you least expect it you could be targeted by criminal. That's bad enough if it's just yourself but, what if your wife and kids are with you and their lives depend on you? I do have CHL but, what if for some reason your gun jams, is not immeadiately accessable, or if circumstances prohibit carry.

I want to have as much programed into my muscle memory so that if needed, I will react decisively and without hesitation. I don't mean so many different techniques that you end up wasting time on more than you need.

That's another thing that impressed me when talking with the instructor. He said we will not bother with complicated, exotic, fancy moves; only minumal amount of brutally efficiant and easily "programmed" proven techniques.

We'll see though. thanks for the input and I'll keep you updated. Oh, he also said that advanced classes will be offered after these.

Redbug            
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 8:50:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Redbug,

I couldn't agree with you more.  I am a beleiver in defense in depth.  While I carry (legally) over a three state area, there are times and places that I can't carry a firearm, especially when my family is vacationing outside the USA.
I got my first organized knife training years ago from Bob Duggan at ESI. At that time I carried a bali-song when taveling (pre-tactical folders. I think Cold Steel was building just a Tanto and a Push Dagger back then...so okay, that makes me old [:)] )
I think we owe it to our families to be always prepared and I think the concept of basic, simple - i.e. easy to learn, understand and retain moves is an excellent building block.
I look forward to hearing more about the subject.
If you happen to like knives (who doesn't?) then you might like this site.
[url=www.usualsuspect.net/forums/index.php?s=&s=d7c240347b45b4c0e02f0987325c65a9]UsualSuspectForums[/url]
along with the Blade forum here in the Armory section.
Good training and I do wish to hear how it turns out.  
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 8:58:59 AM EDT
[#6]
 Thanks Beachboy, I'm 45 years "young" myself and I feel that I only have time to learn just absolute essentials.

I look forward to getting back to you on this.

Redbug

P.S. I carry a Spyderco Endura serrated.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top