Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
phone gps
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are you using any sensors, or just the built in GPS on your phone?
phone gps
Phone by itself is fairly sketchy.

Granted, the last phone I relied for tracking was an s3.

Once I switched to a Garmin, I haven't missed a mile.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 6:28:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
phone gps
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are you using any sensors, or just the built in GPS on your phone?
phone gps
That could be part of your problem.  Depending on how often your phone refreshes its GPS signal, you can get some really weird numbers.

Get some BlueTooth sensors, pair them to your phone, and you'll get much more accurate speed, distance, and cadence numbers.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 6:32:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Rode yesterday.

FTR, a full sus on the road with knobbies is slow.

2:56:08
31.24 miles

The single track I rode to is very tight, twisty, and technical.  I've decided to get back to working on my skills vs hammer on race courses.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 9:07:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 9:08:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 9:19:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Went out and did my 2 hour course.

Did it in 1:50

Set two PR's, and tied a third PR.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 10:29:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 10:36:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Good 40mi charity ride today considering I stayed up way too late watching OU vs. Ohio State ..got almost 18mph average without riding in a pack

strava
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 12:04:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Last week the gf and I rode from Annapolis up to BWI, did the loop around the airport, and back to Annapolis... 51 miles. We treated ourselves to the Renaissance Festival afterwards

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 9:49:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, I have a new bucket list item.  Provided this smoke ever clears and I can ride outside again. 

http://reviews.mtbr.com/bikepacking-sun-valley
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 2:08:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Been having neck issues since last October and have ridden maybe 20 miles so far this year.  Decided to get my ass back on the bike this morning and did an easy 15 miles.

Felt good!
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 3:02:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Never climbed a mountain before, but yesterday the GF and I rode up Mt. Weather. The weather was awesome, the climb was hard, the descent was exhilarating. Relive video below.

Mt. Weather Ride
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 7:04:29 PM EDT
[#13]
3:14 ride time
47.9 miles
2864 feet climbed
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 4:51:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Got my ass kicked on the mountain bike today. I made the mistake of riding with 3 really good riders who are also 15 years younger than me. It was more "rock" biking than mountain biking

Strava - https://www.strava.com/activities/1210618243

Relive video - https://www.relive.cc/view/1210618243
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 5:30:52 PM EDT
[#15]
50 mi charity ride yesterday...tried to stick with the guys up front..I did a pull early on in the hills and got dropped ...shouldn't have let my ego write checks that my legs couldn't cash...shortly after that I lost my chain and when I fixed that the power meter quit lol

dang it
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 8:19:14 PM EDT
[#16]

Time to change cleats or nah?
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 8:42:08 PM EDT
[#17]

Held 16.9mph on a century last Sunday but fell short of my goal of 17+mph in the last few miles. Watched as we tailed off from 17.3 and then, sadly, clicked to 16.9 with like 3 to go. My riding partner finally told me to take off so I pushed hard the last few miles but the number didn't move :( Was really really bummed by that. The last 25+ miles ended up being me an another rider instead of a group and, in the end, that cost us.

Still....awesome day on the bike with great weather.

So now focused on back-to-back centuries in November. Cause.....reasons?
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 8:45:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/139707/sm2-326254.jpghttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/139707/sm1-326255.jpghttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/139707/SM6-326256.jpg

Held 16.9mph on a century last Sunday but fell short of my goal of 17+mph in the last few miles. Watched as we tailed off from 17.3 and then, sadly, clicked to 16.9 with like 3 to go. My riding partner finally told me to take off so I pushed hard the last few miles but the number didn't move :( Was really really bummed by that. The last 25+ miles ended up being me an another rider instead of a group and, in the end, that cost us.

View Quote

I still haven't ridden a century.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 8:53:55 PM EDT
[#19]
I run them till they fail. If you're racing or doing serious work look at where they engage to see if the plastic is wearing thin.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 4:02:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Metric Century last weekend, the longest ride I've ever done. GF had the only mountain bike I saw in the whole event and managed to keep up with me, though I'm not exactly fast.

Relive

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 5:24:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I still haven't ridden a century.
View Quote
me neither.....not the least bit upset about it either...I did 60 a few months back and it felt fine...What I would like to do is stay with the lead pack through the whole thing ..I get off to a good start and then I take too long of a pull and blow a gasket. Working on it though.  I'm sure a century will happen eventually
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 3:30:30 PM EDT
[#22]
IIRC, Shimano says as long as the yellow is still there they're still good.  Work on track stands so they last longer.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 3:44:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Went riding in the leaves this weekend.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 6:12:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/139707/sm2-326254.jpghttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/139707/sm1-326255.jpghttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/139707/SM6-326256.jpg

View Quote
Back-to-back centuries are overrated.

Honestly, you have to be a little goofy to even try it...

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/29/2017 9:02:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Not sure what to think. Just did a FTP test on Zwift. Screen said I held 184watts average for 20minutes while riding but then said my FTP was 175 at the end of the test?

Either way, both numbers are down since this time last year when I was low 190s. After a year solid of training, seeing my power numbers go up, doing more centuries in less time, seeing my average speed for real rides and workouts creeping up, taking longer more legit turns on the front during group rides....FTP goes down :(

Hell, I even rode the first 10 minutes at a steady 180 watts and then gradually lifted it to about 220watts over the last 10.

I prob should have waited a few more weeks as I was fighting sinus crud all week and work was insane. That and I have 2200miles in my legs this year which, while not as much as most of you, is 2x what I did last year and only into 3 years of serious riding. That said, have been eating and resting well these past few weeks and I felt solid. And, like I said, over this year I've been watching the numbers creep up on the road and zwift both. I was expecting some sort of improvement.

I thought it would be good to measure against a year ago when I wasn't specifically training and trying to improve.

Very disappointing after a year of hard work.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 12:43:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Not sure what to think. Just did a FTP test on Zwift. Screen said I held 184watts average for 20minutes while riding but then said my FTP was 175 at the end of the test?

Either way, both numbers are down since this time last year when I was low 190s. After a year solid of training, seeing my power numbers go up, doing more centuries in less time, seeing my average speed for real rides and workouts creeping up, taking longer more legit turns on the front during group rides....FTP goes down :(

Hell, I even rode the first 10 minutes at a steady 180 watts and then gradually lifted it to about 220watts over the last 10.

I prob should have waited a few more weeks as I was fighting sinus crud all week and work was insane. That and I have 2200miles in my legs this year which, while not as much as most of you, is 2x what I did last year and only into 3 years of serious riding. That said, have been eating and resting well these past few weeks and I felt solid. And, like I said, over this year I've been watching the numbers creep up on the road and zwift both. I was expecting some sort of improvement.

I thought it would be good to measure against a year ago when I wasn't specifically training and trying to improve.

View Quote
FTP tests they subtract 5% in order to adjust your 20min effort to an hour.  I wouldn't get worked up over one low score..sometimes all the planets have to line up to have a good score
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 1:03:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Damn that's gorgeous!

Finally got back in the MTB saddle the past few weekends; forgot how much fun it is and how addictive it can get. Now I want a new set of wheels and a titanium frame, lol. 
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 7:33:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Did my first ever back to back centuries. Holy lord that was far harder than I imagined.

Day 1 was normal. Kept heart-rate under 130ish max (mostly in the 115 range) and finished in my normal 16.9mph avg. Caught a group that had some new riders so we held 16-17ish all day. My and my riding buddy took a ton of turns on the front and just causally cranked away the miles. Felt great afterwards, tired but not destroyed.

Day 2, this ride. First 70 miles were awesome. We gave it a push up to 20-23mph for about 10 miles around mile 60 and got the heart up to 150. Crashed, never recovered and had to gut it out the rest of the way. Finished solo and 16.1 and was glad for that. I just had zero recovery and couldn't hold my normal group at all.  

Also, roads were really bumpy in one spot, including knocking my saddle loose requiring a roadside adjustment. It popped loudly, to the point we thought my carbon frame had broke. Rode 50-60 miles out of position resulting in some right knee pain the last 2 miles. Not good.

And the WIND! Holy lord the last 10 were directly into a gusty wind and thought I'd die.

You know what....after some recovery I'm ready to go do it again!
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 10:02:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Did my first ever back to back centuries. Holy lord that was far harder than I imagined.

Day 1 was normal. Kept heart-rate under 130ish max (mostly in the 115 range) and finished in my normal 16.9mph avg. Caught a group that had some new riders so we held 16-17ish all day. My and my riding buddy took a ton of turns on the front and just causally cranked away the miles. Felt great afterwards, tired but not destroyed.

Day 2, this ride. First 70 miles were awesome. We gave it a push up to 20-23mph for about 10 miles around mile 60 and got the heart up to 150. Crashed, never recovered and had to gut it out the rest of the way. Finished solo and 16.1 and was glad for that. I just had zero recovery and couldn't hold my normal group at all.  

Also, roads were really bumpy in one spot, including knocking my saddle loose requiring a roadside adjustment. It popped loudly, to the point we thought my carbon frame had broke. Rode 50-60 miles out of position resulting in some right knee pain the last 2 miles. Not good.

And the WIND! Holy lord the last 10 were directly into a gusty wind and thought I'd die.

View Quote
You are a wild man...That is awesome!
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 12:24:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
FTP tests they subtract 5% in order to adjust your 20min effort to an hour.  I wouldn't get worked up over one low score..sometimes all the planets have to line up to have a good score
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Trainer watt output also tend to be lower than road watt output.

https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/adjusting-your-functional-threshold-power-for-indoor-riding/
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 1:06:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 7:23:06 PM EDT
[#32]
@alphajaguars, you down to ride this weekend? Thinking about heading to Brevard for Friday and Saturday; Sunday looks like a washout.
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 8:46:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
@alphajaguars, you down to ride this weekend? Thinking about heading to Brevard for Friday and Saturday; Sunday looks like a washout.
View Quote
Unfortunately, no.

We've been running around most of October, and my list of honey-do's has gotten pretty long.  There is a go0d chance I won't make it out again this year.

@RTUtah
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 9:04:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Unfortunately, no.

We've been running around most of October, and my list of honey-do's has gotten pretty long.  There is a go0d chance I won't make it out again this year.

@RTUtah
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Unfortunately, no.

@RTUtah
@alphajaguars, lemme have a chat with the wife. I'll get this all cleared up. 
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 9:06:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Unfortunately, no.

@RTUtah

I can't afford to have it cleared up.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 1:59:59 PM EDT
[#36]

Picture of me on the front on Sunday's ride as we were started up a big overpass over an intercostal channel. That served as our big hill for the day. The other 98miles were pan flat.

The 13-15mph avg wind on the other hand.....
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 6:51:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I can't afford to have it cleared up.
View Quote
Haha.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 12:17:31 AM EDT
[#38]
Screwed up the rear bearing on my last bike, so... Merry Early Christmas to myself! Already got over 100 miles on it, with an average speed ~2.5 mph faster than my last bike.

Link Posted: 12/20/2017 12:58:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Had Hernia surgery last week....doc says I can get back on 2 weeks after surgery...Missing my 2 wheeled therapy
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 12:05:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Had Hernia surgery last week....doc says I can get back on 2 weeks after surgery...Missing my 2 wheeled therapy
View Quote
I think I waited 6 and then eased in very slowly cause I didn’t want to reinjure and go through that again.

Good news is, for me, once healed I hasn’t effected riding at all.

Heal up quick man.
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 9:30:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Woohoo! Found the bicycle thread.
Looking to ride the Florida Keys Overseas Heritage Trail in January. Scenic pace, maybe 50 miles per day on a 40yo Schwinn.
Daily commuting, 4.5 miles each way on city streets has me averaging around 17mph.
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 10:31:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I think I waited 6 and then eased in very slowly cause I didn’t want to reinjure and go through that again.

Good news is, for me, once healed I hasn’t effected riding at all.

Heal up quick man.
View Quote
Just did my followup..good to go...Zwifting for now because its cold as hell
Link Posted: 12/29/2017 2:30:09 PM EDT
[#43]
I hate riding indoors!
6.7 miles
890 vertical
Strava show's the temp as 19 but it was 16 for most of the ride.

Strava link - https://www.strava.com/activities/1331961850

Link Posted: 12/30/2017 8:46:32 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I hate riding indoors!
6.7 miles
890 vertical

https://dgtzuqphqg23d.cloudfront.net/JQKqoDPN4b0dIducrvWF-64wQByhzW3allrwri88Vqs-1539x2048.jpg
View Quote
Dude, you're a wild man.

What's your shoe/peddle setup for 20 degrees and under?
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 10:02:47 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Dude, you're a wild man.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hate riding indoors!
6.7 miles
890 vertical

https://dgtzuqphqg23d.cloudfront.net/JQKqoDPN4b0dIducrvWF-64wQByhzW3allrwri88Vqs-1539x2048.jpg
Dude, you're a wild man.

I have Nortwave Celcius winter boots and use SPD's. The reason I chose Northwave is because I have wide (EEE) feet.

I tried using booties with regular shoes and always suffered with frozen feet. Regular summer shoes are ventilated and there are extra cleat holes that go clear though the sole. Not to mention, booties are a massive pain in the ass to get on and off. Getting dedicated winter boots was one of my best cycling purchases. These Northwave boots are water proof and I can attest to that having broken through ice in a very large puddle. I had water up to my knee but I only got wet around my ankle, my foot stayed dry so I kept riding.

Northwave Celcisus: https://www.amazon.com/Northwave-Celsius-Arctic-Winter-Cycling/dp/B00WWSEWXE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1514642377&sr=8-2&keywords=northwave+winter+cycling+shoes
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 11:19:32 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I have Nortwave Celcius winter boots and use SPD's. The reason I chose Northwave is because I have wide (EEE) feet.

I tried using booties with regular shoes and always suffered with frozen feet. Regular summer shoes are ventilated and there are extra cleat holes that go clear though the sole. Not to mention, booties are a massive pain in the ass to get on and off. Getting dedicated winter boots was one of my best cycling purchases. These Northwave boots are water proof and I can attest to that having broken through ice in a very large puddle. I had water up to my knee but I only got wet around my ankle, my foot stayed dry so I kept riding.

Northwave Celcisus: https://www.amazon.com/Northwave-Celsius-Arctic-Winter-Cycling/dp/B00WWSEWXE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1514642377&sr=8-2&keywords=northwave+winter+cycling+shoes
View Quote
I don't know why it never occurred to me to get winter MTB shoes/boots, but holy hell they're pricey!
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 11:42:55 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I don't know why it never occurred to me to get winter MTB shoes/boots, but holy hell they're pricey!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Winter boots are only pricey if you don't use them! I have SPD pedals on my rain road bike so if I ride on the road in the cold, my feet are toasty. My cycling clothing strategy has been to buy at least one good piece of clothing every year. One year it was my Gore winter jacket. I've had it for 6 or 7 years now and if I don't crash too much I should get at least another 6 or 7 years out of it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 8:03:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don't ride much anymore, but going from shoe covers to Lake winter cyclng boots made my feet incredibly warmer.  Worth it?  Depends how much and how long you ride outside in the winter.  I did have to raise my saddle a quarter to half and inch due to thicker soles on the boots.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 4:18:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Finished the year strong with a 2-hr ride in 39F light rain and 15mph north wind. Rule 5. Looking forward to 2018. Anyone interested in an AFCOM Strava group?
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 5:31:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Finished the year strong with a 2-hr ride in 39F light rain and 15mph north wind. Rule 5. Looking forward to 2018. Anyone interested in an AFCOM Strava group?
View Quote
There already is one.
Page / 55
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top