Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/22/2013 7:47:37 PM EDT
Glenn Pendlay on CrossFit.

As weightlifters, or those that use weightlifting movements in training, squat deep, and worry more about lifting more weight than about how defined our arms are (I would guess this describes most on this board)… what did we used to complain about?

1. No place to train with bumpers and chalk.

2. Getting hassled about dropping weight

3. "Trainers” at the local globo gym telling us squatting deep was gonna ruin our knees.

4. Girlfriends not wanting to squat because she is afraid she will get "bulky”

5. For the competitive weightlifters among us, getting asked "how much ya bench?” after telling someone you are a weightlifter.

6. Trying to explain what a snatch is to someone, usually ending with a pantomime then the words "you know, like they do in the Olympics”

7. If you ever tell someone, hey you should try it its fun, being told "oh no, I could never do that”

8. Being surrounded in any gym by folks that think eating red meat or fat is the enemy of good health or a good looking body.

9. Curls in the squat rack.

10. Pink dumbells.

So with Crossfit you get…

1. 2000 + more gyms around the country with bumpers and chalk.

2. Most Crossfitters would think you were weird if you DIDN’T drop weights.

3. They may debate where to put the bar on their backs, but they all squat deep.

4. Crossfit girls squat heavy and are proud of getting a rounder butt from it.

5. Most Crossfitters don’t bench press, they might ask you how much you squat instead.

6. Most Crossfitter’s snatch, those that dont certainly know what it is.

7. Crossfit is filled with people people who not only want to try new things, but are willing to work hard to learn and won’t be put off by falling on their butt a few times.

8. Crossfitters, as a whole seem to be proud that they not only eat meat, but are able to eat GOOD (meaning eat a LOT) and still look good because they train so hard. A couple cookouts at Crossfit boxes remain the only two times I have seen women bragging about how many ribs they ate. And not fatties. Young, in shape women.

9. Crossfitters are the ones who will make fun of YOU, if YOU do curls in the squat rack.

10. Crossfitters only use pink kettlebells.

Are their assholes in CF? I am sure their are, but off the top of my head I can’t think of many that I have met, and, there are certainly assholes in the weightlifting community also.

Are their elitists in CF? Yes, there are. But what is a common criticism of the weightlifting community? That we are elitist. And just like in CF, yeah, there are elitists among us. I don’t think its the norm, but they are there.

The fact that CF has exposed quite literally hundreds of thousands of people to weightlifting aside, do you know what I most like about Crossfit?

They appreciate what we do. I quite often find myself in front of a group of crossfitters with someone like Donny, or Jon, or Caleb demonstrating a heavy snatch or clean and jerk. And you know what, these people appreciate what they are seeing. They appreciate what it took to accomplish it, the work, the years of work, the athleticism, the strength and power. The years of pain, the sacrifice. And for these lifters, there is finally a community, a rather large one, that appreciates what they do, that admires them for it. And that is a beautiful thing. Especially when the average person watching someone do a 140kg snatch has about the same ability to appreciate it as someone who doesnt know how to play chess does to appreciate what they are seeing if they watched a Bobby Fisher chess game.

Weightlifting finally has a fan base. And it’s growing. And that is gonna open up all sorts of new opportunities for the sport.

I will leave you with one last thought. Donny Shankle has been able to drop most of his personal training clients, while finally getting the access to chiropractic, massage, etc, that was always financially tough to get when he needed it. Why is he able to work much less, rest and train more, and still financially swing all those little things that help him?

To a large extent, its been Crossfitters. Now I don’t want to ignore others who have helped, and even donated. But it’s the Crossfit boxes that are holding fund raisers for him, its the Crossfit websites that are encouraging their members to go to his blog and hit the donate button that are the most active in raising money.

You can certainly find the bad in anything. But I prefer to say the glass is half full. In this instance, maybe even 3/4 full.
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 2:32:28 AM EDT
[#1]
CF seems like it's a great system for working the body. But- like anything else it's a specific lifitng or exercise style based on what you want to do so it isn't for eveyone. As a lifter myself- I get my cardio and over all fitness from mountain biking. I know these 2 things do not go together but I've done the best I can to marry the 2 because I enjoy doing both. It's hard enough for my body to recover by the weekends from lifitng weights early in the week. I've tried CF and it didn't work with what I like to do- Mountain biking. When entering a bike race I even have to stop lifitng 2 weeks out from the race date. When you get to 30-50 mile biking events you can't afford to go into them with recovering or sore muscles. But I can appreciate the fitness level CF creates and what it does for the body.
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 4:04:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Good read.

While I may occasionally poke a little fun at crossfitters but I'd never talk shit about them. Its a program that obviously works well for many people and has done an outstanding job at exposing some of the BS in the fitness industry........oh yeah and the women are
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 6:25:21 AM EDT
[#3]
I posted this up because there seems to be a misconception out there that "real" lifters and "real" coaches despise CF, when that obviously isn't the case.
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 7:26:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Note, this isn't directed at you.  You're an ambassador for crossfit and a good guy.

I don't think any "real" coach dislikes crossfit as a whole for the reasons you posted above.  Also, the girls are really hot.

Most people dislike crossfit for the reasons listed below:
Greg Glassman is a complete fucking, tool shed, ass bag, douche bag, faggot, prick
The general programming
Crossfitters tend to be worse than athiests/christians at "anything not crossfit" sucks

Honestly, it's generally not us disliking crossfitters as much as crossfitters disliking everyone else.
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 7:33:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I posted this up because there seems to be a misconception out there that "real" lifters and "real" coaches despise CF, when that obviously isn't the case.

I think what people despise are the people (on both side but CF's seem much more vocal) that scream and shout that their system/program/beliefs are superior to everyone else.

Some people will say to do CF no matter what the question asked was...  

Link Posted: 3/23/2013 7:43:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think what people despise are the people (on both side but CF's seem much more vocal) that scream and shout that their system/program/beliefs are superior to everyone else.

Says the HIT Jedi.    
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 8:01:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Says the HIT Jedi.    

Lol I put that there because it IS that ridiculous

ETA: I am actually getting back into my hybrid PT/Weights program. Not CF as I was doing this long before CF had a name and I don't do all the CF stuff anyway

But failure training is what I do when I want to bulk up fast. It'll work for about 2-3 months max for most people but that's about it. It's certainly not for everyone though, no doubt. And you won't catch me preaching to any one about any program being better or worse then another. My thoughts are that people should try numerous styles and programs to find what they like and what works for them.

I find the fitness snobs to be the ones that lack experience most of the time. They try one or two styles/programs and then self proclaim themselves gurus.
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 8:27:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I don't think that the lifting community think "real" lifter despise CF.  Heck Mark Ripptoe used to be a part of it and even mentions it in his book "Practical Programing".  It has also brought lifting back into the main stream.  Have it on TV shows that for both girl and guys that lifting wieghts and doing olympic lifts in to going to make you into this huge over weight neanderthal that can only pick up heavy weight but not walk a mile.

This is not directed at you in anyway, you seam like a upstanding guy and good endorser for CF.  The things I don't like about CF are:

-Greg Glassman is an ass and turned a good concept into money flow and that is all that matters to him.
-The loudest crossfitters spew that CF is the ONLY true fitness and that if you and do CF you are not fit.....hell just look on youtube how many videos put athletes of other sports through CF and make fun of them for not being able to finish.  One that really comes to mind is they took to top condender boxers the CF AFTER the boxers had worked out for 45 min.  Then the person filming keep making comments on how they could barely do it.
-Now everyone in the world thinks they can become a CF coach so you have a thousand little box gyms opening up with people coaching olympic lifts that actually have no idea how to do them.
-Crossfitters don't like the the "real" lifters.
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 9:07:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think that the lifting community think "real" lifter despise CF.  Heck Mark Ripptoe used to be a part of it and even mentions it in his book "Practical Programing".  It has also brought lifting back into the main stream.  Have it on TV shows that for both girl and guys that lifting wieghts and doing olympic lifts in to going to make you into this huge over weight neanderthal that can only pick up heavy weight but not walk a mile.

This is not directed at you in anyway, you seam like a upstanding guy and good endorser for CF.  The things I don't like about CF are:

-Greg Glassman is an ass and turned a good concept into money flow and that is all that matters to him.
-The loudest crossfitters spew that CF is the ONLY true fitness and that if you and do CF you are not fit.....hell just look on youtube how many videos put athletes of other sports through CF and make fun of them for not being able to finish.  One that really comes to mind is they took to top condender boxers the CF AFTER the boxers had worked out for 45 min.  Then the person filming keep making comments on how they could barely do it.
-Now everyone in the world thinks they can become a CF coach so you have a thousand little box gyms opening up with people coaching olympic lifts that actually have no idea how to do them.

And in just 1 weekend an $1000 you too can become a level one coach! Soon and for just a few more weekends and a few thousand more dollars you can become an affiliate and have your own box too!

Allowing just anyone to buy into something typically degrades the name. I recall reading a split in the original CF's due to exactly that.
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 9:14:07 AM EDT
[#10]
And for what it's worth I think RoG is an upstanding guy and is in no way the stereotypically CF'er. He speaks with class and intelligence and doesn't push CF blindly. He gives advice based on the needs of the person asking and that IMHO is the difference when someone actually knows and understands what they are talking about.

I've even asked RoG to help me with tweaking my own programing.

Solid all around.
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 9:45:42 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Note, this isn't directed at you.  You're an ambassador for crossfit and a good guy.

I don't think any "real" coach dislikes crossfit as a whole for the reasons you posted above.  Also, the girls are really hot.

Greg Glassman is a complete fucking, tool shed, ass bag, douche bag, faggot, prick

The general programming

Crossfitters tend to be worse than athiests/christians at "anything not crossfit" sucks

Honestly, it's generally not us disliking crossfitters as much as crossfitters disliking everyone else.

Yes, I agree with everything but the general programming comment- general programming is the whole point...once you become focused on one thing, it isn't really crossfit anymore...

Link Posted: 3/23/2013 9:51:11 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unfortunately, this is in fact the case.

ETA- my formatting got fucked up, so my comments are in red below.

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think that the lifting community think "real" lifter despise CF. Heck Mark Ripptoe used to be a part of it and even mentions it in his book "Practical Programing". It has also brought lifting back into the main stream. Have it on TV shows that for both girl and guys that lifting wieghts and doing olympic lifts in to going to make you into this huge over weight neanderthal that can only pick up heavy weight but not walk a mile.

This is not directed at you in anyway, you seam like a upstanding guy and good endorser for CF. The things I don't like about CF are:

-The loudest crossfitters spew that CF is the ONLY true fitness and that if you and do CF you are not fit.....hell just look on youtube how many videos put athletes of other sports through CF and make fun of them for not being able to finish. One that really comes to mind is they took to top condender boxers the CF AFTER the boxers had worked out for 45 min. Then the person filming keep making comments on how they could barely do it.

All true, but don't lump all CFers in together! The CFers I'm exposed to at least have a huge amount of respect for Oly lifters and power lifters, though our goals may be different.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think that the lifting community think "real" lifter despise CF. Heck Mark Ripptoe used to be a part of it and even mentions it in his book "Practical Programing". It has also brought lifting back into the main stream. Have it on TV shows that for both girl and guys that lifting wieghts and doing olympic lifts in to going to make you into this huge over weight neanderthal that can only pick up heavy weight but not walk a mile.

This is not directed at you in anyway, you seam like a upstanding guy and good endorser for CF. The things I don't like about CF are:

-The loudest crossfitters spew that CF is the ONLY true fitness and that if you and do CF you are not fit.....hell just look on youtube how many videos put athletes of other sports through CF and make fun of them for not being able to finish. One that really comes to mind is they took to top condender boxers the CF AFTER the boxers had worked out for 45 min. Then the person filming keep making comments on how they could barely do it.

And in just 1 weekend an $1000 you too can become a level one coach! Soon and for just a few more weekends and a few thousand more dollars you can become an affiliate and have your own box too!

Allowing just anyone to buy into something typically degrades the name. I recall reading a split in the original CF's due to exactly that.

This is one of the biggest problems with CF. It's also one of the reasons we have people coming in from all over the place to come to my gym. I'm happy to say that we have a good staff that actually knows a thing or two about what we're talking about.

Quoted:

And for what it's worth I think RoG is an upstanding guy and is in no way the stereotypically CF'er. He speaks with class and intelligence and doesn't push CF blindly. He gives advice based on the needs of the person asking and that IMHO is the difference when someone actually knows and understands what they are talking about.

I've even asked RoG to help me with tweaking my own programing.

Solid all around.

Thanks for the kind words

You guys got it. I've said before that CF isn't perfect, and you guys pretty much nailed all the big problems with it. As you know I get irritated with the idiots that claim you'll get hurt doing it or that only weaklings do it etc....nice to see some guys that "get it"

Link Posted: 3/23/2013 10:22:02 AM EDT
[#13]
If I didn't have the old injuries I have I'd enjoy doing CF as Rx and would more then likely look into competition. I just like that kind of thing, why I got into racing bikes a while back, why I got into competitive shooting as well. I can only focus on fitness stuff for so long before I have to change it up.

CF is a good example of what can happen when something gets too big or popular for it's own good.

There is tons of good that CF has done but a lot of it has unfortunately been drown out buy the elitist.
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 10:29:57 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

If I didn't have the old injuries I have I'd enjoy doing CF as Rx and would more then likely look into competition. I just like that kind of thing, why I got into racing bikes a while back, why I got into competitive shooting as well. I can only focus on fitness stuff for so long before I have to change it up.

CF is a good example of what can happen when something gets too big or popular for it's own good.

There is tons of good that CF has done but a lot of it has unfortunately been drown out buy the elitist.

Yeah. I know that CFHQ is trying to get more quality out there so that's good. It just blew up SO fast in the last couple years they couldn't keep up...we'll see what happens. Hopefully we can up the QC...

Link Posted: 3/23/2013 10:48:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:

The general programming

Yes, I agree with everything but the general programming comment- general programming is the whole point...once you become focused on one thing, it isn't really crossfit anymore...  

This thread is now a secret RoG rep trade man crush thread...  

You're 100% correct.  I didn't really finish my thought and the other guys did.  General programming is great and probably works for 100% of the people at some point.  It's the idea that general programming, "Just crossfit bro", is the correct answer 100% of the time.

Not pointing a finger at any of our CF'ers on this board.  I might poke fun once in a while, but I joined AR15 mostly for this sub-forum and because of the intelligent debate here.
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 11:00:13 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The general programming

This thread is now a secret RoG rep trade man crush thread...  

You're 100% correct.  I didn't really finish my thought and the other guys did.  General programming is great and probably works for 100% of the people at some point.  It's the idea that general programming, "Just crossfit bro", is the correct answer 100% of the time.

Not pointing a finger at any of our CF'ers on this board.  I might poke fun once in a while, but I joined AR15 mostly for this sub-forum and because of the intelligent debate here.

Agreed.

This thread will turn into no such thing
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 11:41:07 AM EDT
[#17]
I've been to five different CF gyms.  The first was the only real good one.  The instructor had an MS in Kinesiology and a wall full of certificates in physical training.  His Olympic coach was an internationally competitive guy with years of experience and a talent for teaching.

The rest have been a bunch of hacks who live on a handful of nuts and their hatred of people that go to "regular" gyms.

Link Posted: 3/23/2013 11:48:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Just for the fun since we were bring up the problems with what CF has become...

LoL this one is pretty bad
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 12:39:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Some of those fails were fucking hilarious that deadlift would have been "called" at about 5 seconds in...the worst thing is that the guy appears to be the director of the CF games....d'oh!!!

I still laugh at people who don't understand the utility of kipping pullups though....the "seriously WTF is this" guy in the video was doing butterfly kipping pullups which actually take a lot of skill to do and are really efficient, allowing you to do massive sets...if you were competing why wouldn't you want to do pullups as fast as you can?
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 12:40:46 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I've been to five different CF gyms.  The first was the only real good one.  The instructor had an MS in Kinesiology and a wall full of certificates in physical training.  His Olympic coach was an internationally competitive guy with years of experience and a talent for teaching.

The rest have been a bunch of hacks who live on a handful of nuts and their hatred of people that go to "regular" gyms.

Yeah, I've seen both too. I go to one in my home town on occasion when I'm visiting and the head coach is a complete idiot when it comes to programming workouts...injures people all the time.

What gym was the first one if you don't mind sharing?

Link Posted: 3/23/2013 12:44:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Some of those fails were fucking hilarious that deadlift would have been "called" at about 5 seconds in...the worst thing is that the guy appears to be the director of the CF games....d'oh!!!

I still laugh at people who don't understand the utility of kipping pullups though....the "seriously WTF is this" guy in the video was doing butterfly kipping pullups which actually take a lot of skill to do and are really efficient, allowing you to do massive sets...if you were competing why wouldn't you want to do pullups as fast as you can?

There is another YouTube vid of a guy criticizing that guys kipping pullups. He did 106 in a minute 36 seconds.

I can't do kipping due to my shoulders so I'll stick to my deadhangs
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 12:48:38 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There is another YouTube vid of a guy criticizing that guys kipping pullups. He did 106 in a minute 36 seconds.

The kipping guy did?

They are certainly not something you want to do if you have any shoulder issues at all, and probably not something you want to do unless you're willing to accept a little risk of shoulder injury (big numbers anyways, a few kipping PU won't hurt the majority of people who are strong enough to do deadhangs at least)
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 12:48:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

CrossFit SouthWest

Link Posted: 3/23/2013 12:52:16 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

CrossFit SouthWest

Cool, that article on the first page is pretty damn good too.

Link Posted: 3/23/2013 12:54:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Ken is a sharp guy.  I can't say enough nice things about him.
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 1:00:03 PM EDT
[#26]
There are some really really bad examples in this one! Not sure if these are all CF?
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 1:04:54 PM EDT
[#27]
What in the world was the guy at 2:04 doing?

I've seen some really retarded stuff at the gym but that is the strangest thing I've ever seen.

ETA:  I think that was RoG at 4:24.    
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 1:13:48 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

There are some really really bad examples in this one! Not sure if these are all CF?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e1jcajW0gg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

The commentator was just as dumb as the guys in the video lol...You're right though, many of those are not CF. I also have no fucking clue what those people with the axle bars thought they were doing...

I sort of know the guy in the jean shorts, he's local...he's kind of a douche
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 1:37:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e1jcajW0gg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

The commentator was just as dumb as the guys in the video lol...You're right though, many of those are not CF. I also have no fucking clue what those people with the axle bars thought they were doing...  

I sort of know the guy in the jean shorts, he's local...he's kind of a douche

Agreed the commentator was dumb. But to keep the dumb out of this I started a stupid YouTube workout vids thread
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 1:44:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

The kipping guy did?    

They are certainly not something you want to do if you have any shoulder issues at all, and probably not something you want to do unless you're willing to accept a little risk of shoulder injury (big numbers anyways, a few kipping PU won't hurt the majority of people who are strong enough to do deadhangs at least)

Yeah 106.
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 1:53:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Axle bar lifts were fucked up continental cleans.

While I do like to tease CFers, it has exposed much of the general population to barbells.  I do think that RoG sometimes takes his "box" for granted. Sounds like an awesome place with sound programming. Sometimes I wonder if the bad trainers in CF wouldn't give the sport such a bad name if they were so zealous. All sports have shitty trainers but it's much more fun to pick on CF.
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 1:59:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
SNIP
but it's much more fun to pick on CF.
SNIP

And then there is always this.

How many crossfitters does it take to change a lightbulb?

3. One to do it, one to record it and Greg Assman to rename it, patent it and try to sue anyone else that changes light bulbs.
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 2:03:21 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

While I do like to tease CFers, it has exposed much of the general population to barbells.  I do think that RoG sometimes takes his "box" for granted. Sounds like an awesome place with sound programming. Sometimes I wonder if the bad trainers in CF wouldn't give the sport such a bad name if they were so zealous. All sports have shitty trainers but it's much more fun to pick on CF.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too but I don't have much experience with the continental clean...not something beginners need to be doing IMO.

I may take my gym for granted to some extent, but I do know there are other good ones around. Invictus, Valley, Brick, and a few others are pretty legit in my area (I refuse to use the term box unless we're talking about a cardboard box, or the action of boxing)
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 2:04:00 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SNIP

SNIP

3. One to do it, one to record it and Greg Assman to rename it, patent it and try to sue anyone else that changes light bulbs.

You forgot the 4th to upload a video to facebook

Link Posted: 3/23/2013 2:07:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
SNIP
SNIP

You forgot the 4th to upload a video to facebook

and then the legion of fat powelifters and curl bros to make fun of the form.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 2:13:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too but I don't have much experience with the continental clean...not something beginners need to be doing IMO.    

I may take my gym for granted to some extent, but I do know there are other good ones around. Invictus, Valley, Brick, and a few others are pretty legit in my area (I refuse to use the term box unless we're talking about a cardboard box, or the action of boxing)

You are going to become something of the "Anti-Hero" amongst the CF'er
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 2:15:11 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are going to become something of the "Anti-Hero" amongst the CF'er

haha...I can live with that

Link Posted: 3/23/2013 2:20:31 PM EDT
[#38]
So what's your opinion on the way Ripp and Dan John's departure was handled?

ETA:  Obviously it was handled poorly.  Is there anything internal that you can share or know about?
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 2:25:08 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

ETA:  Obviously it was handled poorly.  Is there anything internal that you can share or know about?

Don't know anything about the departure of either of them, however I've read a little about Robb Wolf's departure and CFHQ really acted poorly in that situation, same with one of the other Oly coaches who's name escapes me at the moment...

Link Posted: 3/23/2013 2:44:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't know anything about the departure of either of them, however I've read a little about Robb Wolf's departure and CFHQ really acted poorly in that situation, same with one of the other Oly coaches who's name escapes me at the moment...  

Dan John?

I wasn't aware of others.  

If CFHQ would get out of its own way it could be interesting.  Although, the Crossfit Games on ESPN is nice.  I'll fully admit to watching the women's events.  I want to see a CF'er compete in "Ninja Warrior".
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 2:59:15 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dan John?

I wasn't aware of others.  

If CFHQ would get out of its own way it could be interesting.  Although, the Crossfit Games on ESPN is nice.  I'll fully admit to watching the women's events.  I want to see a CF'er compete in "Ninja Warrior".

No, it wasn't him.

Yeah, CFHQ has done some bone headed things...I've met Greg Glassman a couple times too and he just seems a bit...off... not sure what the deal is. I do believe they are getting better as they learn how to run things, but only time will tell.
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 3:06:30 PM EDT
[#42]
24 second deadlift
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 3:09:02 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

24 second deadlift

I'm going to "defend" CF though and say I've seen just as bad from "regular" guys at normal gyms before

But yeah...that was terrible...a fucking train wreck.
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 3:12:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:
24 second deadlift

I'm going to "defend" CF though and say I've seen just as bad from "regular" guys at normal gyms before    

Oh no doubt and no argument there.

Link Posted: 3/23/2013 3:19:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
24 second deadlift

Oh no doubt and no argument there.

This for sure.

Many of the "awful" deads in the video on this page really didn't look to bad if you compare them to the deads captain curl fag does.
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 4:57:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All true, but don't lump all CFers in together! The CFers I'm exposed to at least have a huge amount of respect for Oly lifters and power lifters, though our goals may be different.

Sorry I wasn't lumping them all together.  If you take out the people mentioned above I think CF is pretty good.  They just don't have the same goals as me and my knees can not take the jumping and running.

I think most CF are good, just the few that are the loudest give the rest a bad name.  These are the two that I have the biggest problem with.

of course you can say that about every major gym chain...Ballys, LA Fitness, etc.  They are not about fitness anymore just makeing money.
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 5:36:30 PM EDT
[#47]
^ totally agree...
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 7:05:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Not all the was CFHQ though.  Ripp can be kind of an asshole sometimes.  He is also get a little "my way is the only way to do it" especially on squat technique.  Also he is getting a little of a cult following thing going similar to CF.

Link Posted: 3/23/2013 7:10:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I've seen just as bad from "regular" guys at normal gyms before    [div]

I worked at Bally's on the weekends for awhile trying to earn extra cash.  You some of the weirdest shit in there.

I saw a guy bust his head up doing this. Standing overhead tricep extension-toss-catch-bicep curl thing.  Missed the catch and the bar smacked him right in the face.
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 10:13:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've seen just as bad from "regular" guys at normal gyms before    [div]

I worked at Bally's on the weekends for awhile trying to earn extra cash.  You some of the weirdest shit in there.

I saw a guy bust his head up doing this. Standing overhead tricep extension-toss-catch-bicep curl thing.  Missed the catch and the bar smacked him right in the face.

I agree with the rest of what has been said already and have said it before.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top