Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2002 5:00:08 PM EDT
Enjoy running, but have been sporadic: 4-6 miles a few times a week, then off for a few weeks - long enough to lose all previous fitness gains (measured with heart rate monitor).

From bicycling and trainer at local gym, was told to go hard every other day, and rest/recover, every other day, or whole weekend.

Should running also be like this? Hard day, alternating with off day, or easy days in between? Is it okay to run everyday?

Do get the endorphin high after a few minutes, and am mildly addicted. Have been sprinting the last 1/4-1/2 mile to max out heart rate ~184bpm. When done right, almost feel like vomiting at finish line, but whoa, the colors - so beautiful!

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 10:39:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Liberty, probably depends on what you are training for, but the running schedule that I found that worked well is 4 days a week.

Started this training for a marathon, but have stuck with it because it worked. Mileage depends on what distance you are aiming for, but goes short, medium, short, long with a day of rest before and after long run.

Check out the web site halhigdon.com, this guy has been running forever...
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 11:24:59 AM EDT
[#2]
rangedog,
Your 4 days sound great!

Not into serious competition, just running for the buzz, pacing the occasional pal.

Am waaaaaay over the 7min miles in my twenties. Would like to drop the times, and don't want to run much more than 10k. Have done a few half marathons, but feel it's too costly on the body (i.e. - I'm a wimp).

Great thread about the beer gut reduction/elimination. Biggest reason am running, is to somewhat counteract, all the sitting-on-my-ass-drinking-beer time. Also I live to eat: many meals, all foods. Have been cutting back a little here and there, but this transition from 20's to 40's, has been quite an eye opener.

Yeah, can see how it's easier to cut back on intake, than burn it off after it becomes spare tire fat, but Jesus H. Kerist, don't think I can eat any less, or cut out beer - Ben Franklin's quote about God wanting us to be happy . . .
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 8:06:45 AM EDT
[#3]
At 38 going on 39 soon, I'm further into the transition that I want to be !!

Used to run for time also, 5K and other short distances, but I've had to slow down the last couple of years, so I'm trying the longer distances.

Biking is a good replacement, much easier on the joints, but I never seem to think of it.  Takes more time to get the same workout, I guess.

Best bet would be to mix it up, running, biking, swimming if you are not training for anything. (Or are training for a triathalon !!)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top