Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2002 6:09:17 AM EDT
First, let me say that I'm not interested in going to a gym.  I don't want to get dependent on weights or equipment.  The one thing I allow myself at home is a chinup bar, because I don't have anything else suitable.  I'm not looking to get big & bulky, so I think it's ok to work out at home.

I'm happy with my chest & arm strength, but I'd like to work on my back & legs more.  I'm going to add deep knee bends & calf raises for the legs, but I'm stuck on what to do for my (upper) back.  Here's what I do now (3 sets, 3 days a week):

push ups (various widths)
pull ups
chin ups
crunches
don't know what to call it - lay face down, put hands palm down under chin, keep arms parallel to floor, raise chin & arms.  "reverse crunch"?

This regimen has been very good for my arms & chest.  I have gotten much more defined and am noticably stronger (to the point where I break stuff accidentally).  But I feel that my upper back is weak compared to the rest.  Does anybody have suggestions on something I can do at home to work this area of my body?

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 8:16:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 2:20:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Other than the chin-ups(variouswidthsingrip) you might try some type of rowing type action,or a simple 2 hand grasp of something and "STRECH OUT"(thiscreatesalargermuscle) in that particular area. ......that aside,ED...my friend,i know you'll be looking at this thread.Theres a _lowerback_ exercise called a [red]"SUPERMAN"[/red].....you assume the position of him in flight(simplelyingonfloor),Then raise hands,and feet(toespointedbackwardofcourse) off the floor @8-10"and hold the position as long as possiable.....It does not sound like a[thinking] back-breaker/disc-herniater.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 8:37:58 PM EDT
[#3]
You can also do pullups at different angles if you put your feet on a chair or ladder.  If you get your feet high enough, you can simulate a low cable pull (aka row).  If you can already do 10+ pullups, then you need to add weight.  Since you don't want to "get dependent on weights," you can use a backpack filled with books, jugs of water, small children, etc. to add more resistance.  I've seen guys use dip belts to add weight, but I never could keep one from sliding down when doing a pull-up.  In the past, I've (obviously at home when no one is watching) added weights on a chain to my belt before.  That works, but make sure you use an old belt, because the belt won't look the same afterwards.

Ahh, superman.  I've heard that exercise called by less polite names.  I used to do them with my waist on a chair and my upper body and legs completely unsupported.  I did that until I built a (very uncomfortable) roman chair.z
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top